• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine propranalol and cocaine

chinacat0608

Greenlighter
Hello all. I have been reading through all these posts regarding beta blockers and coke and everyone continuously says to not combine them - I am just curious to know if anyone has actually known someone who has combined them, on purpose or without knowing their interaction, and what happened? I am taking 80mg propranalol and will possibly be around some blow and/or molly in coming weeks. I have done them both before in small amounts as I don't like doing too much of anything. 2 little lines or a couple bumps of molly and I'm good, no need for more. I've seen articles stating that in lower doses it's not a big deal and the propranalol even has helped sometimes - and then I see many articles about not doing it but I haven't quite understood what would actually happen. Just interested if anyone has any real first-hand experience with these combos and would like to share, that would be great. Thanks.

Also - please don't tell me how dumb this would be to do-I knows that's probably the case. Just interested in stories, out of curiosity really.

Last edited:
It seems like a stupid idea - coke is already about as bad for your cardiovascular system as a drug could be, and you're gonna make it worse? Just don't see how that's worth it.

Thanks - was my first post, I'll stop swimming from here on out :)

Yeah if you read the Bluelight User Agreement (BLUA / terms and conditions of use) and the OD Guidelines, both found in my signature, you'd see that swimming in the pool is frowned upon since it does nothing to protect you legally as you are responsible for what you post.

And not to mention the massive contamination levels in Lake Bluelight, that has reported to have affected every single pool on campus, you may want to take a shower.

So the blood pressure medication with cocaine issue... complicated one.

I don't know why you're prescribed or taking propanolol and further, want to take cocaine with it when it's just not something you should be doing. That is my official stance on answering the contradicted use of the drugs in question.

In no way does the behavior justify the use, but one of my close friends was recently prescribed this class of medication and he is a regular user of cocaine, and when I found out he got prescribed it, I was very concerned. I still am. He doesn't take the blood pressure medication when he uses cocaine, but he has before at half his prescribed dose.

Someone please correct me, but if cocaine raises blood pressure, wouldn't it be a good thing to combine it with a medication that lowers bp?

That was my original thought too, but further reading explains something having to do with propranolol blocking something but leaving another channel open, so while lowering heart rate it could allow for higher blood pressure (that's a horrible way to describe it medically, I'm just on my phone and not a dr so I forget all the terminology). What I didn't understand was how that would make it worse than the obvious risk of cocaine to bp levels regardless of other medications. It used to be administered in ERs for patients with cocaine related chest pain but then one dr had a patient who's bp got slightly worse after the propranolol so he said it wasn't advisable anymore. I think they give you a benzo now (I have a few ativans but they just make me super sleepy so they've just stayed in my purse). At this point I'm more interested in the research and knowledge more than anything - I've freaked myself out enough that I realized it's not worth it and I should stick to beer. But I've now read numerous articles refeutting the anti-beta blocker stance, stating that it could either help or not make a difference in chest pain patients so I just figured this forum might have some more experience in the matter. I appreciate the responses thus far.

In my experience, it is not a wise thing to do. While I am prescribed 80mg Propranolol XR (active for 12 hours) together with dexedrine, low therapeutic doses are not concidered unsafe, BUT i once took my normal morning dose after a nightly stim binge and when the propranolol started working it got very nasty, I felt the propranolol set in and my body started tingling starting at my feet moving up to whole body, panic set in and then it felt like my veins in my arms turned to stone, i was dizzy and desorientated, cold sweat started pouring out of me, I took cold showers that seemed to help a bit, but I was very lucky to get trough it and stupid not to call emergency services as it could have gone another way..
I had read those stupid reports of treating od patients with a very LOW dose of Propranolol, so was not aware of the risk and actually thought I was doing the right thing at the time..afaik nowadays they no longer get Propranolol but a benzo at the ER...

But strangely enough, I have combined stims before mostly (but not always) at night when xr had mostly lost its effect, my theory is that you perhaps with carefull dosing after most of the propranolol is out of your system have a better control and feel of whats happening a tight feeling in arms is an indicator not to proceed any further (a benzo might provide some relief), this is probably vasoconstriction increasing and/or rising blood preassure, propranolol is still active in your system and you are above safe dosage of your stimulant.

This is only my personal speculation not something to rely on as this might not happen to you and you might get no gentle warning.
Taking propranolol after or during a stim binge (or perhaps shortly before) is russian roulette as you cant really indicate how it will react and how much adrenergenic action there is it will oppose (I can go in to further detail later but have to look up some articles to be sure I explain correctly, but hope this will suffice) and thereby creating a sort of feedback loop and paradoxial effects like increased vasoconstriction and it will instead increase bloodpressure. This can be life threathening so immediately call emergency services.

I do NOT advise taking recreational doses of any stimulant within 12 hours of 80mg Propranolol (nor other dosages or the IR version) some of my experiences above regarding earlier experiences of use after taking Propranolol are for for beedback and ideas of others and to provide perhaps early warning signs for when mistakes are being made.
Always be very carefull and do not combine them, so if you are not taking them for blood pressure / heart conditions or other conditions where skipping a dose of propranolol is dangerous to your health..so be sure to know if this is the case first! do not take it on days when you induldge in stims or take only a low dose IR in the morning so you are free at night or at least wait 12 hours after intake and then take it slow!..moderate dosing doesn't seem to give problems then... And be carefull and only take next dose when you are sure to be fully sober again, after a nights sleep is my general rule now, as it really is especially unsafe taking Propranolol after recreational use in my experience as i didn't feel very stimulated but some stims have subtle residual stimulation and it might not be very obvious and that is the point.. Do not gamble, It gave a reaction I will never forget, be safe, do not combine!

I hope this is acurate enough I wrote it from memory but this is the jest of it, do not take propranolol while stimmed period!

Last edited:
Would this include caffeine as well or just stims like cocaine and amphetamines? I use 40 mg propranolol sometimes to help control physical symptoms of anxiety for stressful social situations such as job interviews and public speaking. Never heard of the stim interaction... good to know.

I didn't experience any problems with daily prescribed dextroamphetamine and a neurologist assured me (low therapeutic doses) would not give problems..

The strange thing is before I knew better, I even supplemented 40 mg propranolol IR at night after my regular morning 80mg XR before going out and took a bunch of stuff on it 2-fa, 4-fa, 3-mmc, mdma and coke too, dont know about coffee.....;) I think it really is dose dependent, and that you not take it after but well ahead of your night out, my experience and gut feeling says it is mostly introducing a high dose in a high person that bring trouble.. But I am curious too if there is anyone that could confirm if this is true as I don't really see the logic behind this.. Maybe something like adrenalin already bound to beta-adrenergic receptors that are now being blocked but i'm only guessing for an explanation..

The time I had the serious adverse reaction was when taking 80 mg propranolol XR when still a bit stumilated as in awake but not feeling high any more, I was in bed wanted to sleep but was probably more stimulated than I gave credit...you know when dopanine levels are down it is still only stimulation left that can feel deceptively sober.. I was getting a bit twitchy (I use the propranolol to relax my muscles) so I figured it was time for my morning dose..and get some sleep...

So maybe take half so 20 mg ir beforehand or on the safer side perhaps a benzo, as I have read reports of 20mg causing problems dont know if they administered pre or post stim intake..
I use etizolam on some occasions instead of propranolol for keeping the peace.. But be sure never to take Propranolol during or shortly after recreational use.

Last edited:
Generally, Dont take anything with an hour of taking coke that physically slows the heart its self. This is one of the main causes of heart attacks with coke use. Stimulant fighting a depression is a risky battle . But i use aspirin which thins the blood, and brings your bp down, and when i get paranoid about heart i use poppers. They widen the arteries. poppers use to be the main treatment for people with angina.