Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Kratom, legal status in Philippines

random_kid

Greenlighter
Hello, can anyone tell me the legal status of kratom in the Philippines? I've been searching for 15 minutes now without any luck :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mate I am happy to leave this open for the time being so you can hopefully get a definitive answer on the legal status of kratom in the Philippines, however, we do not allow sources to be named and people cannot tell you where in the Philippines to obtain it whether it is legal or not.

I've heard Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) grows all over the place in Thailand, but it was made illegal there at some stage - but not everything that's illegal in Thailand ceases to exist in Thailand because of its legal status. What I'm getting at is it grows wild everywhere, not that it's safe to ask your local police cop where to obtain an illegal plant. Thailand and the Philippines seem like they would have a similar climate for growing the plant, but I read it didn't grow in the Philippines which doesn't make sense to me, but I couldn't find out the legal status or any more info because most of the websites I tried to visit which looked hopeful had viruses or trojans on them according to my antivirus software.

Edit: https://www.erowid.org/plants/kratom/kratom_law.shtml is a good resource for all drugs, unfortunately no info specific to Philippines there.

PS: d_m, I can't send you a PM because you're too popular. Go on a site wide rant like I did last week or so in order to lose some of that popularity, or just delete some messages please.

I've heard Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) grows all over the place in Thailand, but it was made illegal there at some stage - but not everything that's illegal in Thailand ceases to exist in Thailand because of its legal status. What I'm getting at is it grows wild everywhere, not that it's safe to ask your local police cop where to obtain an illegal plant. Thailand and the Philippines seem like they would have a similar climate for growing the plant, but I read it didn't grow in the Philippines which doesn't make sense to me, but I couldn't find out the legal status or any more info because most of the websites I tried to visit which looked hopeful had viruses or trojans on them according to my antivirus software.

Edit: https://www.erowid.org/plants/kratom/kratom_law.shtml is a good resource for all drugs, unfortunately no info specific to Philippines there.

PS: d_m, I can't send you a PM because you're too popular. Go on a site wide rant like I did last week or so in order to lose some of that popularity, or just delete some messages please.

I too have been looking for info on this. There was a user on here who actually lived in the Phils. From my readings it would appear that it IS in fact legal there but Id love confirmation from someone on the ground who has successfully ordered, received and used there on an ongoing basis without incident...

Hi random_kid,
I live in the Philippines and the Kratom tree (aka mambog) does grow here. Its legal status however is not well known. I have called the PDEA and FDA and talked with several officers, who were not able to give me a clear answer. I checked their website and kratom and its active alkaloids are not on the controlled substance act IRR R.A. 9165.

Personally I have ordered from a reseller on Facebook, and some of my friends have ordered from Indonesia with no issues. Simply get your seller to label it as an herbal botanical (which it is) and try to get them to include a phyto certificate as a proof of authenticity. good luck ;)

Hello, has anyone been able to find out for sure whether or not kratom is legal in Philippines? I am going on a trip there soon and would like to have some with me (for depression/anxiety) but wanted to be 100% certain first. I am planning on taking like 4-6 ounces in capsule form in plastic labeled bottles.

I actually did have some with me my last tip there heading back home (went through security with no problems). But that was April 2013, and I know laws can change at any given time.

Please respond at your convenience - thank you in advance.

Hello, has anyone been able to find out for sure whether or not kratom is legal in Philippines? I am going on a trip there soon and would like to have some with me (for depression/anxiety) but wanted to be 100% certain first. I am planning on taking like 4-6 ounces in capsule form in plastic labeled bottles.

I actually did have some with me my last tip there heading back home (went through security with no problems). But that was April 2013, and I know laws can change at any given time.

Please respond at your convenience - thank you in advance.

A complete list of controlled substances here in the Philippines is available here:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/orangebook/c_cs_alpha.pdf

It does not list Krantom or Mambog nor does it mention Mitragyna diversifolia. A lady in Siquijor Island sells this at the market and does not hide her operation in any way.

For all these reasons I believe it is in fact still legal in the Philippines.

74gee, thank you for your response. I noticed the document is dated Feb. 2015 of this year so it's fairly recent. Can you tell me where you came across this document? It doesn't mention Philippines anywhere within so I was just a bit curious.

Ok firsthand experience with Philippines Kratom.

First of all, the tree is extremely rare. I have searched for 2 years and still have not found it growing in Luzon or Cebu.

There are hints and articles by a UP professor about it somewhere around Bataan, and a large number of the trees were cut down in Manila.

The Filipino name for it is called Mambog. It is also a place name and travelling to those places has yet to find any Mambog trees. Maybe there was in the past.

The local Filipino herbalists have zero clue about it. I have looked everywhere.

Regarding legality.

YES totally LEGAL. Kratom/Mambog is totally legal in the Philippines as of Jan 2018. The Philippines bureau of plant inspection will even inspect it and certify it as being bug free and the actual plant for export. It is listed as a traditional medicinal plant.

As of today there is only one online Facebook page for Kratom and it is only 128 likes. It is not a popular item here.

So far the only Kratom I have had was brought back from Amsterdam and it was very expensive.

So far the hunt for Kratom in the Philippines has been a Indiana Jones sort of adventure and the locals look at you as if you are crazy when you ask for it.

It's good news that kratom remains legal in the Philippines. Unfortunately the same thing cannot be said about South Korea or Japan. I emailed their ministry of health and he said it is now a controlled substance. I couldn't find any concrete proof to back that up, but the word kratom (mitragynine) does show up in .pdf documents on their website (just can't find where it mentions that it is controlled). If this is true, it's a shame because I wanted to use Narita as a layover on my way to Manila, but will now choose Beijing.

Last edited:
Yes! Kratom is legal in Philippines. I get it from a local husband and wife here. It's not as rare as you'd think. There's a few Facebook pages actually but the best I've found has all 5 star reviews and something like 900 likes on it. The quality and service is exquisite :)

www.facebook.com/PhilippinesKratom

Last edited: