• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin overdose - is there a "safe time"

Lechium

Bluelighter
Ive heard ODs may happen hours after doing a shot of heroin. Is this true? Is there a generally "safe zone/time"? By this I mean like a time when normally most people are in the clear (say like usually if you arent dead after 30 min of doing the shot then you are okay). This of course is assuming you dont do any more or any other drugs.

On another note what can you do that would help keep you from ODing? I mean maybe like exercizing or sitting still, deep breathing, drinking coffee, etc.

I believe most (fatal) ODs happen in a short time after the shot, but yes, I read it can happen afterwards. I don't think there's a way to reverse an OD other than naloxone, so your best bet is just to try and remain conscious and to wait it out.

Thats what I thought. I imagine best bet is just staying conscious and that they usually happen later on (if there was no other drug use) from the person going to sleep and the heart and breathing slowing down too much and the person dies.

So what are good methods of keeping yourself awake if youre really high on h? Is coffee and cigs a good idea or could that just lead to heart confusion? Im asking because I did a pretty big shot and it uit me harder than I expected; however, I wasnt too worried and by the amount I figured it wasnt too much to handle. I definitely didnt even nod out yet where in the past ive done so much that I literally fell to the floor and woke up 15 min later. I did get a lik nervous for a sec and therefore decided to make this thread.
now I want to have a cig which I prob will but that bring me to that question- is it a good idea? Normally cigs keep you up and awake but they also tend to kinda kick in the nods after having one...

heart confusion?

If you're referring to the idea that combining a stimulant and a depressant can damage the heart because it somehow ''confuses'' the heart by trying to make it speed up and slow down at the same time, then fyi, that's a complete myth. There are plenty of dangers to combining uppers and downers, but your heart acting like the rope in a game of tug-o-war isn't one of them.

^ really? I thought that was one of the main reasons speed balls are so dangerous...

this shot prob woulda been pretty good if it didnt cause such ridiculous tachycardia

Yep, really. The reason speedballs are so dangerous is (primarily) the difference in duration between cocaine and heroin and the fact that the stimulant effects of cocaine counteract the depressant effects of heroin ie. you can do more heroin than normal because the coke keeps you awake, but then the coke, having a short duration, wears off while all that heroin is still in your system and you pass out and OD.

Last edited:
The ones that happen hours and hours afterwards, are usually because of the user redosing over over and over again. But, for the most part, a single dose, if you make it past an hour or so.. you're most likely in the clear provided you don't use anymore.

As far as good methods of keeping yourself awake if you know you're really high, standing up and walking around is the main thing. If you're just sitting down doing nothing, you'll fall out much much easier. Cold water to the face, smoke a cigarette for some nicotine, shit like that.

I've kept many a friend from OD'ing, even after the point their lips were blue and they could barely keep their eye open, by forcing on their feet, making them walk, causing them physical pain like a slap, a sternal rub, etc. Little things like that can be the difference between somebody falling out.. and being okay.

The absolute worst thing to do, if you see somebody, or are that high yourself, is just sit and chill or lay down.

I thought once I calmed down from the initial rush id be noddin hard but instead I was all cracked out. Couldnt shut up and just wanted to do shit like clean my house. Now finally like 2.5 hrs later im startin to get tired n a lil "drowsy". This stuff must have been cut to shit with caffeine...

Good info mr. Scagnattie! U think going for a run would be ok or would that be "too much" activity?

Overdoses usually happen around the time the drug reaches peak blood concentrations, e.g. pretty rapidly after taking a dose of the drug, esp. via IV. It's not likely to have them happen hours after the fact, unless you're doing stuff like oral methadone (long absorption), or speedballing (stimulants will raise your breathing rate and if they wear off before the narcotics do... you could be in trouble).

My OD happened maybe 10 minutes after I did my 3rd shot. Did a half bag to feel well, didnt feel it, did a bag, didnt feel it, did a bag and a half (3 bags total). Woke up 5 hours later by a shot of Narcan. My mother found me, she tried screaming at me, shaking me, and even, and I quote, "slapped me across the face as hard as she could" (glad I didnt feel that lol), but ime, as long as someone can breathe and doesnt puke while unconscious, they are *generally* ok, even if they are out like a light. Position them lying on their side so they can breathe easy and not aspirate any vomitus. and ffs, if you have to call EMS/911/999, do NOT tell them it's an "[insert illegal drug here] overdose", otherwise police will show up along with the paramedics. Just tell them so and so isnt breathing, isnt responding to stimuli, and needs help immediately. Paramedics will come, you can tell them the specifics (they have Narcan on the trucks here), and if any illegal things are present, remove them. Yeah, saving a friend's life is a great thing, however getting him a felony conviction for an OD.. he'd probably wished he'd died, or you left him alone. I know I did...

Generally, if you OD it happens within minutes if IV'd, tho mixing drugs and ROA (e.g., drinking alcohol, snorting Xanax, shooting opiates) could have a "danger zone" of many many hours, as it's a dangerous combination. Do not leave someone alone, listen for labored breathing, check for cyanosis (bluing of the lips, face, other body parts), etc. IME, most fatal ODs on downers are caused by respiratory depression.

Can you actually get into legal trouble for ODing if you used up the last of what you had or hide your shit well enough for the cops not to find it? They can't stick you with a felony or anything or just admitting you used a drug if they dont find it on you right? How about if you drive to an urgent care clinic and say you are overdosing-- how likely is it that they will stick you with a DUI?

Can you actually get into legal trouble for ODing if you used up the last of what you had or hide your shit well enough for the cops not to find it? They can't stick you with a felony or anything or just admitting you used a drug if they dont find it on you right? How about if you drive to an urgent care clinic and say you are overdosing-- how likely is it that they will stick you with a DUI?

They tested the empty bags and needles I presume. There was NOTHING left, not enough to get an ant high, and yes, 5 months later after the labwork was done, I was charged with possession of heroin. Apparently in this shithole state, any amount, even residue, is enough to get a charge. and yes, I was convicted on that.

They tested the empty bags and needles I presume. There was NOTHING left, not enough to get an ant high, and yes, 5 months later after the lab work was done, I was charged with possession of heroin. Apparently in this shithole state, any amount, even residue, is enough to get a charge. and yes, I was convicted on that.

That is messed up! I assume you were at home when you had the paramedics (and cops) arrive? To what extent did they search your house and stuff?

Guess if i ever have to call 911 for an overdose I will just say I need an ambulance because I am having some sort of allergic reaction for an unknown reason and am having a hard time breathing. Something to that effect...then tell the paramedics whats up when they arrive. Maybe even write a note on my arm saying I am ODING on H in case Im not conscious when they arrive.

I've got a tangentially related story, of when my lady ODed on methadone, was the cherry flavored syrup stuff, we didn't even know what the dosage was per mL but I tried to warn her just to use it to get well and not try to get high off it but she kept dosing throughout the day and eventually passed out hours after her last dose, but I was at work all day and when I got home that evening found her in bed, couldn't wake her up, could barely feel her breath so of course I freaked immediately called 911 and started giving her CPR...anyways, the police never showed up with the paramedics but when they got there I told them what she had taken, showed them the methadone(which they took) but they weren't DOING anything, they were just going to drive her to the hospital and drop her off so I started screaming at them to "give her the antidote" and they literally said, "what antidote?" so I flip out and am like "THE FUCKING NARCAN, FUCKING NALOXONE" and it was like a light bulb went off over their head(I guess because it wasn't heroin they didn't know what to do?) so she wakes up in the back of the ambulance(I'm riding with) and I gotta explain to her what happened....

Anyways, the police weren't waiting for us at the hospital or anything but some agent of the hospital interviewed her about what happened(a woman, I think she thought she was trying to commit suicide or something), she kept asking her what she took and she kept telling her liquid methadone but the lady got mad at her, insisted there was no such thing as "liquid meth"(we later guessed maybe she thought my girl was talking about liquid methamphetamine??) but they eventually let her go....but here is the kicker, the two bottles of liquid methadone that the paramedics confiscated got RETURNED to her with the rest of her belongings that were on her when she got picked up, and we were dosing in her hospital room again before leaving. No fucking joke.

^damn did you actually tell them on the phone for them to come due to an overdose? I guess it could also be kind of situational--if its a busy crime filled night maybe there werent any cops bored enough to come out and fuck with addicts ODing..

That is messed up! I assume you were at home when you had the paramedics (and cops) arrive? To what extent did they search your house and stuff?

Guess if i ever have to call 911 for an overdose I will just say I need an ambulance because I am having some sort of allergic reaction for an unknown reason and am having a hard time breathing. Something to that effect...then tell the paramedics whats up when they arrive. Maybe even write a note on my arm saying I am ODING on H in case Im not conscious when they arrive.

Yes I was home, and they searched my desk drawers w/o permission or a warrant (not just what was in plain sight). I was seriously pissed about that, caught another charge for what they illegally found, but was afraid if I made too much of a stink they'd hammerfuck me on the H charge (which they had me dead to rights). They dropped the other charge, as well as the paraphenalia charge.

If you OD, you will not be able to call paramedics yourself, which is one reason a tripsitter or someone who gives a fuck about you is a necessity. and think of this, for those that speedball: if you get caught, you are facing (here anyway), TWO Class 5 felonies and a class 1 misdemeanor (possibly several, one for each piece of gear you have). That's 20+ years if you have a shitty lawyer.

I can't remember precisely what I said, but I know I was way to worried about her to care about getting in trouble, I didn't try to hide anything, said she overdosed on methadone and now shes not breathing etc. But they could have thought it was an accidental overdose to legitimately obtained medicine so never sent police. But yeah, I think that would be a real good idea, if you make it seem like a "normal" medical emergency with nothing illegal going on they should never send cops then can just tell the paramedics to get out the narcan once they arrive, never thought about that before but that's definitely what I will do in the future if needed(knock on wood).

Cops never came to my house, but we were at home, the paramedics were kind of looking around the scene but didn't open anything, they asked me where the drugs were and I just wanted to be honest and cooperate, wasn't thinking clearly just didn't want to impede them, so I just handed over the two bottles it was in, they were like OTC cough syrup bottles with the labels peeled off or something, one half empty, nothing to indicate what was in them.

Last edited: