• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids rapid bupe taper

ladianios

Bluelighter
So I just came off about a 2.5 year tear of oxy and for tha last year or so usage was about 120-160 mg a day. I did a sub taper like this

Day 1 - 1mg
Day 2 - .50 mg
Day - 3 .50 mg
Day-4 .25 mg
Day -5 .25 mg

I am now 3 full days removed from the sub and have not felt even a hint of wd. I know the half life but I used only 2.5 mgs total. Did i dodge the bullet??

yes you dodged the bullet. I used to use tapers like this ( though higher.. 4 2 2 1 1 0 .5 ) and not have anything significant in the way of w/ds.

I tapered off that small of a dosage of bupe and I am 67+ day clean bro no opioids, I used loperamide with a rapid taper and I am taking no opiate derivatives, KEEP UP THE POSITIVE ATTITUDE. You have to give up painkillers period.. Painkillers are to take when you're in pain that immobilizes you. Fuck opiates/opioids for now! I feel fucking great dude. I was addicted to opioids for 4 years, I got thousands of mgs of oxycodone within a couple months. The WDs from my up to 300mg oxycodone a day habit ruined everything important to me in my life at the time. Thank god for suboxone.... P.S You haven't dodged a bullet, but the bullet is metaphorically a BB. Stay safe, Stay informed.

So I just came off about a 2.5 year tear of oxy and for tha last year or so usage was about 120-160 mg a day. I did a sub taper like this

Day 1 - 1mg
Day 2 - .50 mg
Day - 3 .50 mg
Day-4 .25 mg
Day -5 .25 mg

I am now 3 full days removed from the sub and have not felt even a hint of wd. I know the half life but I used only 2.5 mgs total. Did i dodge the bullet??

It does kinda sound like you got lucky!

Yeah, I expected like a week or so of mild to moderate caca after the sub but nothing man, I actually feel good. Actually scary if it really is that easy but I think it is A matter of the stars just aligned properly this time.

^Bupe does have a long half-life, but given the overall amount you took, I really believe you'd be sick by now, provided it really has been a good 72 hours....

Don't question feeling good man!

^^ haha, no doubt. I am actually kinda let down for this detox I was armed with clonidine and a fistful of traz and seroquel for sleep and didn't touch it. Maybe I just have fast x chromosome that eludes opiate wd

Nicely done. That's a good taper. At 3 days out, you'll still might feel very slight withdrawal symptoms in another couple days because of bupes long half-life, but because your doses were so low, it might not even be noticeable.

Good work, man. I'm glad you posted this because it shows that if you taper correctly on bupe, with low doses, and come off at the sub-milligram level, it really does work.

Now you just have to stick to it and never go back to that other shit, hah. Because trust me, the detoxes get harder and harder each time. Next time, you'll find it wont be as easy as it was now.

You are very lucky! Stay clean, as Mr. S pointed out, every time you go through WD, it is worse and the PAWS lasts longer, making it harder and harder to quit.

Your detox with buprenorphine was EXTREMELY rapid and the dosing was TINY but it seemed to have worked for you and that's a huge success. A LOT of opioid withdrawal is influenced psychologically, so if you're EXPECTING to feel this that and the other agonizing thing, you're much more likely to encounter them vs. going into a detox with a very strong psychological attitude (which is pretty hard thing to do especially for long-term users), but it truly does make all the difference.

Stay clean, your body will begin to start producing it's own endorphins again and things should only get better the longer you go without relapse.

Thx for the above advice, I have always been a firm believer in very low dose bupe, I personally think 2 mg can stave off most wd from even monster habits. I did go into this detox with the mindset of screw it, I am just gonna grind thru whatever it throws at me and see it thru! The only days I felt anything was periodic sweating on day one and two during the taper, mostly during my sleep cycle.

I am still baffled whether it was the fact that I used the bupe properly or I just got damn lucky!! I know my usage as far as mgs wasn't that high but the length of daily use was pretty long....almost a few years. I gotta admit tho that the boredom is setting in.

Not luck; you just successfully pulled off a rapid bupe taper.
This is not an isolated incident - lots of people do it this way, and it is pretty unbelievable...but true.

Better living through chemicals indeed!

I did the same thing using about 3 mg of bupe over 5 days. I didnt have a lot of physical withdrawals but I definitely could sleep much at all that week to two weeks.

This is not an isolated incident - lots of people do it this way, and it is pretty unbelievable...but true.

Seriously?

If you say it, I can believe it. Might be time for me to give it a try...

Just recently, for the ten millionth time I tried to CT it and of course failed spectacularly. Bupe didn't work out in the past, but after reading that taper regime, I'd be willing to give it a go because I'd really like to be free for at least one more period in my life.

Day 1 - 1mg
Day 2 - .50 mg
Day - 3 .50 mg
Day-4 .25 mg
Day -5 .25 mg

What was your last dosage of oxy? And how many hours after that last dose did you first take suboxone? And was it the strips?

^^my last dose was 120 mg and I used strips, waited about 16 hours.

It worked man, I feel awesome and sleep is all good....worked outside all day today. I can understand the skepticism as I still can't believe it worked so well, I guess low and fast is the way to go, give it a shot?

I took the advice Mr. Scag gave me to keep it low and fast and it worked like a charm. In fact it worked so well I have this nagging thought that I can do it again..LOL!

Thats a hell of a find if this is all true. Many congrats. My initial reaction is : don't tempt fate and try this too many times. Anything this good can't last.

I'm on 24mg of subutex daily and it looks like I've got a detox coming up in the near future.

Going to be doing a new technique that sounds fucking scary but I've spoken to some people that have done it (although from a lower dose) and they said it was painless. Idea is that on the first day of the deteox you actually have your sytem flooded with bupe, so for most people that would be a double dose but as a double dose of 24mg is over the ceiling dose I don't know what that would mean for me. You then get cut of dead and just let the natural long half life slowly drain it out and as wd symptoms come on they control then with NMDA, sedative anti-histamines and sleepers etc.

Sounds brutal but I've spoken to a few people that have done it and they said it worked really well for them.

In answer to your question, you have probably dodged it though. You are very lucky.

I know many people who've done the same and think this is the proper way to use Buprenorphine to get off an opiate/opioid substance you're addicted to. It's quick and easy, no silly high doses or staying on it for months/years like the money-hungry doctors would love you to - all you need is a milligram or two and that's even if you have a real whacked up high tolerance.

I've never seen someone need more than 2mg as their starting dose for a detox, dropping by 0.5mg each day. I'm talking people with heaaaaaaavy habits. I've used 0.5mg and 1mg doses to get off tolerances as much as 30-40x baseline tolerance which would have had some naaaasty withdrawals were it not for Bupe. Quick tapers are the way to go in my opinion too because of the build up in your system, if you take the same dose every day for a week or month then dropping down is a lot harder than dropping down day by day where the last day pretty much covers the current one.

To give you an idea of how powerful quick tapering with low doses of Bupe is, I've had my tolerance so high I was smoking > 20mg doses of Butyr-Fentanyl (even 0.3mg is a solid smoked dose when non-tolerant) and right after my last smoke I waited until the effects wore off, took just under 1mg of bupe, took 0.5mg the next day, now I wasn't trying to get off or anything I was just controlling my use - so day after that 0.5mg I took around 1mg and 10mg Diazepam and I was nodding as hard as that 20mg of Butyr-Fentanyl would have gotten me 3 days earlier.

That should say something to those people who think they should be doing it the slow long way. I honestly think people who think that taking the process slow are really doing the wrong thing if they're turning to Buprenorphine. Go for a drug that doesn't build up and stay in your system for multiple days if you're going to be taking high daily doses and dropping down slowly.. Doing it with Bupe is a painful process, while the quick detox is painless. The only reason detoxes tend to go so slow and doses are so high with prescribed Bupe is the money they get prescribing it, it's a cash cow drug - the more you take the better, the longer you're on it the better - for the doctor's pocket, but not for you.

Last edited:
^Yeah I agree...Start low, taper down and get off quick is the absolute best way to use bupe to taper from other opiates...yet, since it's packaged and prescribed in such high amounts, everyone's brainwashed into thinking they need more!

I recently did a 4 day taper using bupe and it was pretty painless. I went with 4mg the first day, then 2 - 1.5 - 0.5. What I consider 'pretty painless' might be pretty uncomfortable to others, but considering my habit and duration of use I've gotten pretty used to being in moderate withdrawals for a few hours out of a few days each week, so any kick in which I'm not sweating a bunch, don't have horrible RLS, don't have horrible anxiety, and can actually get a good 4 hours of sleep is 'pretty painless' in my book. It's when my legs are kicking like mad, and my anxiety is so bad from the insomnia which prevents me from getting any sleep at all that I consider it a pretty bad kick.

To prepare for the taper I started spacing out my dosing more, then just did 2 bags of dope on the last day before waiting 24 hours to start the bupe, starting off with 2mg in the morning, 1mg at noon, then 1 more mg at night to ensure that I would sleep. The next day I was pretty surprised at how well the 2mg worked for me, particularly with the mental aspect (my body was still very achy through, but no RLS.)

Other times it's not this easy, so don't let there be a next time. Easier kicks like this make some people justify going back to using thinking that they can quit just as easily again, and that's not always the case. I usually find that the way I react to the first dose of suboxone is a good indicator of how the kick is going to go, and sometimes I still feel like shit after dosing even 6mg of bupe, whereas other times I'm way better from half that dose, and that's with quitting the same habit so you never really know.

I prefer the rapid tapers with bupe over the longer ones, unless of course you have a bundle + a day habit, then 10 days is better, but never more than 2 weeks on it. You just want to give the bupe enough time to build up in you a bit (while the short acting opiate leaves your system) so that it can do it's job by slowly leaving you due to it's shirt half-life.