• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Chilled PST Gloopy Thixotropic Strange?

englishlady

Greenlighter
My friend brought around a plastic bottle of her first PST made from about 1lb of seeds. She'd topped up the bottle with cider (only about 3 fluid ounces she says) since she did not have any lemon juice. All she did apparently was chill it in the fridge overnight.

Today, when she took the bottle out, she thought it was on the verge of turning to ice, but no, it had turned very 'gloopy'. I think thixotropic may be the right word, rather like bleech which is made thicker to cling on to surfaces.

It tastes OK, and she says it looks and tastes the same as it did the day before. It is the result of three washes she says, the colour is a bit lighter than natural apple juice which is opaque and one cant see through the liquid.

Has this happened to anyone before and whilst it smells OK I am wary of knocking it back as it looks like a glass of nose drippings (eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww)

Advice anyone please ?

Hope this is in the right place, plse move if not.

Just thinking; could this reaction be from the pectin in the cider? I know applese are used to thicken up jam sometimes. Just a thought.

Thanks anyone who can shed any light on this.

We tried mixing in some cordial, in her glass, and then some cider in mine. But the gloop just stayed separate from the added liquid. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I cannot help other than to say thixotropic probably is not correct unless you shook it and it turned more liquid.

Seeds became saturated, broke down the external structure of each seed and released oil, proteins and whatever else is inside poppy seeds into the solution, resulting in the product you describe.
The seeds breaking down in the liquid is all the more likely if the liquid is frozen (or close to it).

The longer you soak things like poppy seeds in liquid, the more inactive crap is released from inside the seeds; if you read a lot of teks on BL and elsewhere, the consensus seems to be that faster washes with agitation are the best way to make PST.

Aha ! I have cross examined her repeatedly and she admits she did leave the seeds in the water overnight TWICE. So that fits in perfectly. We managed to get a small glassful down each, but no effect whatsoever.

So spacejunk, I reckon you are right. She is drying the rescued seeds now in the hope they will grow.................I doubt it somehow but let her dream on...........

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Just ditch them...that shit seems to be an incredible medium for bacteria.
And if the seeds have dissolved and possibly frozen in liquid...they don't seem likely to be viable to grow.
All sounds a bit gross, pst needn't be something you have to choke down.
Don't make yourselves sick; just chuck it IMO

I don't think you're supposed to let it set that long. I shook my mixture for about 10 minutes, chilled it for 30 (the cooler the liquid, the less taste), and drank it. I emptied the washed seeds into a container and left it out over night. The next morning it was covered in white hairy mold. This is probably what made your mixture the texture it is. MOLD.

Oh boy - yuk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gloopy PST flushed, thanks all. Friend weepy but intact.

Tearful friend sipping and chewing on a cup of PPT with two different types of floral honey for flavour.

Chewing the grounds reminds me of olden days chemists with an airtight jar of trimmed twigs on the counter beside the till. Wondered for years what those twigs were for.

Finally got my own when older and never forget chewing the stick which was actually the root of the licorice plant...............