a constant sense of redundancy
+ ... idk
... pointless extrapolation ...

Still good -
BBT was dope.

Best I've seen
since Bad Santa.

Raw Fresh Deviant.

So, I'm watching this now... and it's not as bad as I thought.
It's not great. But, it's definitely watchable.

I really like Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman's characters.

Some of it is really badly written, and some of it doesn't work well.
Like the plagues being brought down on the supermarket king.

There are a lot of gag characters, as well. Too many.
It's, often, too quirky for it's own good (I think).

Bob Odenkirk is amusing, but they stretch the dumb sexist country sheriff / police chief gag across the entire show.

But then: I was never a huge fan of Fargo, which largely revolved around the caricaturization of small town America.
(After France McDormand said "ya" for the tenth time, a part of me wanted to die.)

I don't find Minnesotans particularly funny.
I'm glad the toned the accents down for the TV show.
But, there's still a lot of borderline retarded characters.
It's not a particularly affectionate portrait of Minnesota.

The supermarket king's son is retarded.
Sam Hess' kids are retarded.
The police chief is retarded.

Billy Bob Thornton's character has some great dialogue.
And then it cuts to a rodeo clown for five minutes.

The plot unfolds, Hangover-style, with one outrageous moment after another.
There wasn't anything - logistically - in the film version of Fargo that didn't make sense.
In the TV adaptation, they don't even attempt to explain how anything that happens is possible.
The Coen Brothers flirt with fantasy, but their films are - usually - heavily grounded in (some sort of believable) reality.
There are cartoonish elements to a lot of their films (Hudsucker Proxy, Barton Fink, The Big Lebowski) but their films aren't cartoons.

Fargo, the TV show, is practically a cartoon.
Instead of Wily Coyete producing an ACME rocket gun from thin air, we have the supernaturally-gifted drifter Lorne Malvo who can do anything.

He's basically God. Malvo can walk up to someone's house, kill their dog, break into their house (while they're inside), replace their heart medication with amphetamines, and slip out without breaking a sweat or - even - hurrying. He can slip in and out of any house, at any time, without planning anything. He's magic, apparently.

I'm only half way through the first season (is there going to be another one?), but there's no wood-chipper scene yet.
The film was carefully structured and paced. I didn't like it very much, but I recognize the talent.
The TV show doesn't have that. It isn't brilliant. It isn't worthy of the Coen Brothers.

Although I initially didn't understand why it was called Fargo at all, but I get now why it's not a remake or a related sequel/prequel.
It's very different. It's a weird adapted cartoon appendage to a film I didn't love.
But, I've run out of shit to watch. And Fargo is better than a kick in the nuts.

So the second season is now underway, I'm currently watching the beginning of episode one of two so far. The first season was great, I'm hoping the new one delivers the goodies too.

Let the true crime epicness begin! ;)

The lady cop. Last thing I remember, she was alive in season 1.

Anyone know if she'll be returning? She was one of my favorite characters, for some reason. :\

(Not asking what happened in season 1, just if anyone knows whether or not the lady cop protagonist'll make a return at all. I'm too lazy too google it. She was actually the only main character I remember still kicking towards the end of the first season's finale.... maybe I didn't watch it to the end, though.)

Season 2's legit so far. I feel asleep early in the second episode but the bits and pieces I remember catching caught my interest. The awkwardness of the first 5 min of season 2 episode 1? Fucking hilarious to me.

Anyone know if she'll be returning? She was one of my favorite characters, for some reason.
She's back as a toddler in season 2.

So the second season is now underway, I'm currently watching the beginning of episode one of two so far. The first season was great, I'm hoping the new one delivers the goodies too.

Let the true crime epicness begin! ;)

Oh buddy does the 2nd season bring the goodies, YES IT DOES!

Different style but just as tasty so far! Finished ep. 2 last night, wow am I hooked.

She's back as a toddler in season 2.

okay, shit you not, I read this and actually said "What the fuck?" and started laughing out loud. Like, it actually happened. Acronyms don't cut it for that situation.

In response, though, time-frame-changes are fucked up. I'm gonna have to pay close attention to see other connections to season 1, if they even exist.

I think it has been rather straight forward... they mention that these events took place in 1979 during the intro.

I haven't paid much attention to cross over characters, but so far we have her and her father.

I think it has been rather straight forward... they mention that these events took place in 1979 during the intro.

Yeah, yeah, I just didn't connect the dots that that meant any crossover characters would have a prequel kind of feel to them...

I was hoping for more of a sequel, but it's cool either way. I knew from the jump that this wasn't going to be that kind of show.

Holy shit this show just keeps getting better IMO. I love the cast even more than the last. The black gangster and Kirsten dunst/Brad garret are probably my faves. I loved when the black guy(can't recall his name!) is in the stand off with the cop and he quotes Nixon!

Mike Milligan? And the something brothers....

Yeah I am really into this show too, just watched all 3 episodes of season 2 in a row recently.

I lost interest in true detective pretty quick, but fargo S2 has me hooked, even more so than S1 I think.

Todd from BB has put on a bit of weight? I love the accents of everyone too.

Last edited:
the kitchen brothers?

S2 has been fantastic so far. i've loved every episode.

Yeah that's it. I'm loving it as well, it's the only show I am hanging out to watch every week atm.

Best show on TV at the moment IMO.

I love the way it is shot, it looks like a very high budget movie, great casting, great acting.

I was a huge fan of the first season, and thought it would be tough to match, but I think this season is much better.

After the second season of True Detective, this series has restored my faith in television.

I just caught up with Season 2. Wow.

I enjoyed the first Season, loved Billy Bob Thornton's suave cool collected character.. but Season 2 has really blown it out of the water. The acting, dialogue, cinematography is exceptional. I hope they have more scenes with Nick Offerman's character.. that last episode was fantastic.

I just caught up with Season 2. Wow.

I enjoyed the first Season, loved Billy Bob Thornton's suave cool collected character.. but Season 2 has really blown it out of the water. The acting, dialogue, cinematography is exceptional. I hope they have more scenes with Nick Offerman's character.. that last episode was fantastic.

Completely agree. I wish the story would continue into the next season.

I just watched the entire first season. I enjoyed it; but I did not like the ending and thought it should have been left open.

I'm not going to write more in case anyone reading this has not seen it yet.

Season two is extremely impressive. I have the same enthusiasm about the next episode in the same way I did during the first season of True Detective. It's probably (imo) the best show on television right now.

Last nights episode (Ep 8, S2) was awesome (as usual), is there going to be 10 Ep's in this season like S1? I dont wont it to end...