• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Sensations of highly dynamic motion/flight with coordinated visuals on dissociatives?

psood0nym

Bluelighter
Sensations of highly dynamic motion/flight with coordinated visuals on dissociatives

large.jpg

I've experienced waking sensations of flight on dissociatives – with perhaps one-third the physical intensity of actual experiences of falling from great heights, riding roller coasters, etc (enough to feel a visceral thrill). The effects include a vague sense of control, accompanied by the appearance of moving over strange landscapes, that, in my experience, can be best described as like luminous open-eyed holographic projections of electron microscope imagery in the surrounding environment.

3d-laser.jpg

This image embodies the general features of the visuals described: luminous, organically contoured, three dimensional, and largely monochromatic – though in form and movement they generally look to me like the bottom of a shallow stream as it might appear to somebody passing over it in a canoe, or flight simulator landscapes seen in the still from the Nintendo “Virtual Boy” 3D game system above.

Yet as vivid and richly detailed (though alien) as these OEV vistas are, if I simply move my eyes or body much they disintegrate, and I'm left staring at some familiar feature of the environment. Maintaining stillness while staring at some sort of undetailed surface, or “blank canvas,” is integral to engaging these episodes, and this suggests to me that some degree of sensory deprivation or perceptual fatigue is at play. They also seem connected to an increase in the “volume” of muddled vocalizations in my mind's ear, almost like a partially involuntary invocation (which, bizarrely, sounds like something along the lines of “yigga, yagga, gagga ...” heh). In a sense, initiating these visual-aural-kinetic experiences is not unlike what one needs to do to view those 3D image posters that you have to look at in a passive unfocused way to see. They appear in a similar way, emerging from uniform surfaces like walls or bed sheets, often remaining after I've closed my eyes, and the longer I stay immersed in any particular episode the more things come alive.

The extraordinary visuals have occurred on at least 20 occasions, but it's only twice that I've had the joy of the full fledged flying sensations. Though I could initiate the sensations over a span of many hours, they only lasted a few minutes max at a clip because I'd lose my hold on them. Both times occurred after taking a break from MXE and then using 70 – 100mg plugged in conjunction with second plateau doses of memantine and/or methoxphenidine/DXM. As far as I can tell these aerial journeys really are just speed up, hyperdynamic, roller coaster versions of the commonly reported feeling that one is sinking into the couch, twisting, or cartoonishly stretching on something like high dose ketamine, with the addition of coordinated visual elaborations. They begin with just these sorts of more modest feelings, and in a tenuous, searching way, extend their spaces and possibilities, quickly growing more audacious. The result is extremely liberating. It's a literal freeing of the mind within inner space, and that's what really motivated me to start this thread, despite my suspicion many may – understandably – be incredulous (I may have been too previously, not having experienced even minor “hole” effects or the kind of visuals described until years and many dozens of sessions into my dissociative use.)

Despite all the questionable metaphysical claims that often attend “New Age” discussions of OBEs, I do believe such elaborations are usually rooted in genuine subjective experience. And that's why it's frustrating that I've not come across accounts of dissociative users who have navigated this relatively reproducible, more controllable “middle path” I seem to be treading now – somewhere between commonly reported dissociative “hole” effects and the often dogma-laden world of so called OBEs – as I'm nearly certain the same general, highly intriguing, phenomenon is being experienced.

So how about it? Anybody out there holding back? This strikes me as far too developed a phenomenon not to have been experienced by others to a similar degree. What sort of natural perceptual system is being exploited to produce something like this? It strikes me as the orchestrated work of those systems undergirding proprioception, the kinesthetic sense, and environmental modeling/visualization, coupled with a healthy dose of drug-enhanced imagination and volition, but I can't really elaborate far beyond that. What do you think?

Last edited:
I tend to feel a lot of motion on dissociatives (at least on ketamine and MXE, the only two I have tried... well, also DXM but I have not taken it very high). For me it's more like I no longer feel my body, but rather complex sensations of changing shape, twisting, sliding and travelling through tunnels. As if my essence has become disembodied and experiences motion in ways that are impossible to experience as a human.

^Yes, I think it owes largely to NMDA antagonists mucking up communications between the brain and body by blocking the premier eponymous neurotransmitter in the brain. With the signals that carry information on form, shape, and position distorted -- much that channels our perceptions for practical purposes -- it becomes possible for the imagination and strange subconscious schemes to direct the play of consciousness experience, or for the mind to fly free.

Perhaps the visuals are a sort of sensory rationalization of this distortion of the sense of bodily form and motion. "I'm feeling it, so it must be happening." And then the mind cobbles together something extraordinary and weird to half realize its suspicions. These experiences certainly have been developing in a stepwise, organic fashion, where there's a little more something amazing and unbelievable every time. It's a shame they only happen after a tolerance break, and then three times in a row max, before the more familiar dissociative effects set in like concrete.

Last edited:
Yes, I get similar kinds of visuals and proprioceptive sensations on dissociatives, but only with eyes closed. It feels like I'm a dust mote floating around inside a vast cave or over an organic landscape made up of monochromatic points of light that suggest a complex 3D surface with the motions they make through the visual field. I tried to start a thread about it a while ago but nobody replied...

Marcel Duchamp's Rotoreliefs vaguely remind me of the same effect (of a 2D image being interpreted as a 3D object when put in motion):

[video=vimeo;4748112]http://vimeo.com/4748112[/video]

Yes, I get similar kinds of visuals and proprioceptive sensations on dissociatives, but only with eyes closed. It feels like I'm a dust mote floating around inside a vast cave or over an organic landscape made up of monochromatic points of light that suggest a complex 3D surface with the motions they make through the visual field. I tried to start a thread about it a while ago but nobody replied...

Marcel Duchamp's Rotoreliefs vaguely remind me of the same effect (of a 2D image being interpreted as a 3D object when put in motion):

[video=vimeo;4748112]http://vimeo.com/4748112[/video]
I don't remember your thread at all but would've replied had I seen it! Alright, good, I'm glad somebody like you has some familiarity with this, zn13bt. It's clear from the "Aerial America" reference and the Duchamp video that our brains work similarly with dissociatives. There was a night, maybe a couple years ago now, when I was listening to the "yigga yagga" reverb aural hallucinations, and it seemed like they were trying to form a sentence. What I think I finally heard was "turn the eye within the eye." This was accompanied by a vision of a cross-sectional representation of an eye inset within another, turning around and looking into the outer eye's retina, and the understanding that the "eye within the eye" was where I placed attentional focus within my optical visual field. By looking with open eyes at one point in the environment, but attending to another, I was then, with the aid of the dissociatives, able to bring the closed eye visuals out as projections on uniform surfaces like ceilings or bedsheets in the sort of fragile way I described earlier. With every first few experiences after a tolerance break since then it's been easy to do again. I'm not sure doing what I did will work for you but it really seems like it or something similar ought to (stay still, and relaxed if you try it some time).

Last edited:
Best MXE experience I've ever had, best opiate/opoid experience I've ever had, and best waking dream-state I've ever been in was on a 7 gram dosage of kratom tea (completely naive to any painkillers whatsoever) and lots of bong rips and a few insufflated eyeballed doses of MXE. My friend was with me playing music as I laid back and nodded out/holed into the craziest waking dream of my life. each time the song ended or I tried to use my motor skills it would go away but it was extremely vivid (about as vivid as my most vivid of dreams) and it was as if I was literally playing the game SSX 3 in my head because I'd been playing it a lot for a few weeks prior. I was flying down a mountain on a snowboard doing aerials and soaring over trees and stuff it was incredible. Other things that happened were I felt myself undergo the transformations that glass undergoes when it goes from molten glass to a drinkable cup because I was in a glassblowing class at the time. I didn't think I was going to tip over though despite what you may be thinking ;)

This lazy river of the mind stuff is one of the main reasons I do MXE.

The feeling of motion thing is very common on dissociatives.
I love the feeling of my bed lifting off the ground and hurtling through space, BEAUTY

The feeling of motion thing is very common on dissociatives.
I love the feeling of my bed lifting off the ground and hurtling through space, BEAUTY
It certainly is. It's the overlap with the flying "OBE" sensations and the specifics of, what to me, are incredibly distinct visuals, that I rarely read users discuss that makes me curious. I had gotten a fair amount of motion sensations similar to riding an elevator or being wheeled around on a gurney before, and had read about them, too. What I was surprised to feel and see during the more recent experiences was "loosing my balls" like I had just left a bungee platform while a glowing holographic projection of the ground rushed towards me from the ceiling then slowed and careened laterally as I hallucinated decelerating g-forces and swooped away from it like I was riding a swing attached to the clouds.
SONN said:
Best MXE experience I've ever had, best opiate/opoid experience I've ever had, and best waking dream-state I've ever been in was on a 7 gram dosage of kratom tea (completely naive to any painkillers whatsoever) and lots of bong rips and a few insufflated eyeballed doses of MXE. My friend was with me playing music as I laid back and nodded out/holed into the craziest waking dream of my life. each time the song ended or I tried to use my motor skills it would go away but it was extremely vivid (about as vivid as my most vivid of dreams) and it was as if I was literally playing the game SSX 3 in my head because I'd been playing it a lot for a few weeks prior. I was flying down a mountain on a snowboard doing aerials and soaring over trees and stuff it was incredible. Other things that happened were I felt myself undergo the transformations that glass undergoes when it goes from molten glass to a drinkable cup because I was in a glassblowing class at the time. I didn't think I was going to tip over though despite what you may be thinking

This lazy river of the mind stuff is one of the main reasons I do MXE.
Sounds like a blast. This is definitely what I'm talking about, and your mentioning that you had been playing the SSX 3 snowboarding game around the time of the experience strikes me as indicative of what is probably an important factor in these experiences: having strong associations with highly dynamic motion, or the simulation of it, in memory (particularly recent memory). Most of us who have spent a long day on thrill rides, skiiing, or swimming among waves have had the entirely sober experience of laying down in bed that night and finding ourselves feeling like we're still moving like we were earlier. I think this is our body's way of rehearsing the experiences in kinesthetic memory. Doing so leads to functional adaptations in balance should we need to return to those dynamic environments in the future.

It's this adaptive faculty that I think can help us make theoretical sense of the visuals as well. A look at the empirical literature on the functional adaptation of the visual cortex in sensory substitutions in the blind will help me make my case.

The first time I experienced these visuals I had to get up, shake them off, and return to bed a number of times just to convince myself that “yep, that did happen.” It strained credulity. I had no memory, after all, of aliens installing a HUD display in my brain, yet there were wire frames of light projected on my ceiling, which were being zoomed in on and rotated while maintaining the constant geometrical properties of physical objects. It was of a different order than the psychedelic visuals or closed eye dissociative mind movies I had experienced previously.

largerimage
Imagery indicating adaptive changes in the visual cortex in response to sensory substitution training, from “Recruitment of Occipital Cortex during Sensory Substitution Training Linked to Subjective Experience of Seeing in People with Blindness” (2011).

So what do blind people have to do with that? Well, if you've ever run your fingers over braille and could not imagine how the blind could ever read by feeling alone, your disbelief was mostly justified. It appears that the blind “see” braille subjectively much like we see text, just via a sensory adaptation of tactile information in the visual cortex rather than with optical information. One very unfortunate case of a blind nun, proficient at braille reading, who then got in an accident that damaged her visual cortex, which subsequently left her entirely illiterate, illustrates the case. Further, in a study of simulated blindness, only sighted individuals who wore blindfolds for five days straight while learning braille actually started to become proficient, whereas volunteers who took the blindfolds off for even a few minutes a day failed to learn. These findings and many others suggest that sensory deprivation is an integral part of shifting the visual cortex into high gear (fMRI confirmed these suspected significant changes in activity, as seen in a related study above).

horse_hms.gif

The image above is a spectrographic “soundscape” of a horse shape as interpretated by the vOICe sensory substitution device. Light waves are emitted from the device onto objects and their reflection is translated by its software into noises whose audiological features – pitch, relative volume, etc. – correspond directly to geometrical features of the scanned object. Blind individuals who train with the device with this rationale in mind are eventually able to “see” something similar to the image above when the device is pointed at a wooden cutout of a horse. It's a case of conceptional understanding translating into perceptual projection, as in color-grapheme synesthesia, where synesthetes see unique color auras projected around individual letter and number text concepts. Say if "4" is "red" then the Roman numeral "IV" also possesses the color of the idea of "4," that is, a red color aura, rather than the color auras of the letters "I" and "V" side-by-side. These color auras are probably similar in subjective character to the monochromatic dissociative visual landscapes zn13bt and I have described in this thread. It's this ability to go from concept to direct visualization that makes me believe that by meditating rationally and systematically on our perceptions during dissociative hole experiences we can in some sense engage in a dialogue with the subconscious and help it to cultivate ever-expanding and enriching landscapes of inner experience.

I think the blind users of these sensory substitution devices “see” such images with the same or greater intensity as we see dissociative mind movies – on par with the vividness of dreams – or these open eye “holographic projections” I've experienced. And, further, it's the same astonishingly effective adaptation of the visual cortex in response to sensory deprivation that's behind all of it. Only in the case of dissociative hole experiences, it's our sense of movement in response to becoming detached from bodily signals being corresponded with visual memories of dynamic motion that's producing these object-like landscapes of the mind's eye rather than sound waves or braille. This interpretation also helps me make sense of the incomprehensibly rapid evolution in the sophistication of my own experiences. I've trained myself to enter trances to some degree and have done a lot of metacognitive reflecting on what I'm perceiving to bring it to schematic focus, but I'm undeniably ignorant of how any of it is being constructed for the most part. Now I see it's almost certainly these subconscious changes in the visual cortex that are doing all the heavy lifting.

We all have these profoundly powerful visual-spatial environment simulating bio-computers sitting in our occipital cortexes. It's this computational power of the visual cortex being exploited that helps explain how people who participate in memory competitions are able to use visual-spatial imaging techniques to do things like memorize decks of cards in sequence after a single presentation. With the right approach and understanding I think we can use moderated use of dissociatives – tolerance breaks being critical to getting these effects in my experience – to temporarily transform our heads into cybernetic flight simulators while having one hell of a good and illuminating time in the process (I find it hilarious that years ago talk like this would've seemed ludicrous to me).

It's intriguing that dissociatives are apparently able to spontaneously manifest such astonishing increases in the intensity of visualization, whereas in sober participants just removing a blindfold for a minute a day in the aformentioned 5-day long study of braille learning was enough to seemingly obliterate the functional adaptation in the visual cortex that made tactile literacy possible. It indicates that dissociatives may be the most profound internal visualization technology in existence, and that studying precisely how they achieve their effects could be critical to making leaps in the scientific understanding of perception and the development of more sophisticated prostheses for the blind. But of course, they feel good and cause experiences that undermine religious notions of identity and the sanctity of the body, and are therefore immoral, lethal threats which must be punitively denied. And … well I don't have to convince anybody here of the appalling affront to the advancement of knowledge and well-being that severe prohibition represents.

Last edited:
Mushrooms always give me a sense of flight when i lie down and try to remain perfectly still in absolute darkness with no music or sound playing.
Sometimes it will literally feel like i am teleporting through worm holes into other dimensions and normally i can only obtain this, if i let the mushrooms ride me.
Instead of me Ride the Mushrooms, during the peak experience.

I have experienced these sensations of flight many times through the years on several different dissociatives, most noteably being an Amanita Muscaria combo experience in which the landscape was almost lucid dream like in reality feel, and as I flew around it (after my ego was removed and I spent an eternity in the void), I was able to control the speed I traveled. I went faster and faster, up to the point where it felt that my perceptional viewpoint was stretching out like a pin being stretched miles and miles long. What happened after that was slightly traumatizing and I am still trying to integrate it.

I don't remember your thread at all but would've replied had I seen it!

Ok, great! When I posted that before and nobody said anything I thought maybe I was nuts. 8(

I found some animated gifs of astronomy photos that strongly remind me of the same effect: http://petapixel.com/2013/02/20/amazing-animated-gifs-capture-nebulae-in-3d-using-artificial-parallax/

I had another experience of flying around in the MXE caves tonight. I get them pretty reliably if I take a high enough dose and do things to enhance the dissociation like wearing a sleep mask and listening to drone music or white noise. I've also seen them a few times on 3-MeO-PCP as well....there the shapes of the surfaces seem to be very angular with lots of parallel straight lines, like I'm floating through a Gothic cathedral, or flying around the exterior of an alien starship. On MXE the forms are more organic-looking, like an actual cave or a mountain range covered with trees. Or sometimes I like to imagine that my consciousness has shrunken very small and I'm viewing the microscopic cellular structures of my own body.

Unfortunately I've been getting a lot of migraines lately, so I think I need to take a break from MXE caving for a while. :(

On MXE and ketamine (either one, not the combination) I always feel as if I have gotten my consciousness into my cellular processes, either that or I'm flying through space on a grand scale, it feels like both.

I have experienced these sensations of flight many times through the years on several different dissociatives, most noteably being an Amanita Muscaria combo experience in which the landscape was almost lucid dream like in reality feel, and as I flew around it (after my ego was removed and I spent an eternity in the void), I was able to control the speed I traveled. I went faster and faster, up to the point where it felt that my perceptional viewpoint was stretching out like a pin being stretched miles and miles long. What happened after that was slightly traumatizing and I am still trying to integrate it.
Thanks for your input. That's intriguing about Amanita Muscaria. I've been thinking about how a light dose might combine with dissociatives lately. What was the dosage and the combo dissociative? My one experience with it was as a teenager with 10 grams. It was pleasant and kind of interesting, then became a bit delirous. I learned how anterograde amnesiacs experience life for a few hours, but the buzz before things escalated seemed like something that might be amenable to the world of dissociatives so long as one approaches cautiously.

zn13bt said:
Ok, great! When I posted that before and nobody said anything I thought maybe I was nuts.

I found some animated gifs of astronomy photos that strongly remind me of the same effect: http://petapixel.com/2013/02/20/amaz...cial-parallax/

I had another experience of flying around in the MXE caves tonight. I get them pretty reliably if I take a high enough dose and do things to enhance the dissociation like wearing a sleep mask and listening to drone music or white noise. I've also seen them a few times on 3-MeO-PCP as well....there the shapes of the surfaces seem to be very angular with lots of parallel straight lines, like I'm floating through a Gothic cathedral, or flying around the exterior of an alien starship. On MXE the forms are more organic-looking, like an actual cave or a mountain range covered with trees. Or sometimes I like to imagine that my consciousness has shrunken very small and I'm viewing the microscopic cellular structures of my own body.

Unfortunately I've been getting a lot of migraines lately, so I think I need to take a break from MXE caving for a while.
Xorkoth said:
On MXE and ketamine (either one, not the combination) I always feel as if I have gotten my consciousness into my cellular processes, either that or I'm flying through space on a grand scale, it feels like both.
Most definitely. That's what I was referring to with the "electron microscope imagery" ref in the original post. In fact, the visuals often look so much like microscopic biological forms that the first time I saw them I couldn't help but wonder if I was experiencing something like floaters or the blue light ontoptic phenomenon, only many orders of magnitude more magnified. I couldn't conceive of how I could be looking at parts of my eye at such a magnification, but the imagined resemblance was so striking it couldn't be helped.

Thanks for your input. That's intriguing about Amanita Muscaria. I've been thinking about how a light dose might combine with dissociatives lately. What was the dosage and the combo dissociative? My one experience with it was as a teenager with 10 grams. It was pleasant and kind of interesting, then became a bit delirous. I learned how anterograde amnesiacs experience life for a few hours, but the buzz before things escalated seemed like something that might be amenable to the world of dissociatives so long as one approaches cautiously.

I mentioned it as I have heard Amanita Muscaria being described as having dissociative effects of a GABA(a) agonistic nature.
The dose on that particular trip was 7g of Amanita, from 20g made homogeneous by grinding, combined with ~500 mics of 25i-nbome, added around an hour and a half later.
Be very careful and cautious if you attempt this, as I honestly feel that I may have died, had I not backed out of the 'hole' I was in.

After a four week tolerance break from dissociatives I recently revisited MXE and company, and the result involved the most astonishing sensations of flight and visuals yet (2Xs 40mg MXE RA; 450mg DXM; 16mg ondansetron; 110mg memantine, oral). I also determined why open eye visuals on MXE are not very common: a large proportion of open eyed and closed eye visual effects do not involve direct interferences with the neuronal undergirdings of visual perception the way psychedelics are theorized to act (producing inhibitions in edge detection neuronal populations in the occipital cortex, etc.), but are produced by enhancing not just afterimages (as myself and others have noted elsewhere), but also visual memories from the last minute or more. I base these conclusions on three experiences from this latest experience.

1. On my way to the bathroom I glanced at the cover of our Deadwood DVD box set atop a bookshelf. When I reached the bathroom I closed my eyes. I saw a vague scene in motion that appeared in the style of a film negative. Part of that scene included a rectangle shape, inset within which appeared to be the silhouette of a head wearing a cowboy hat, which I recognized as the outline of the character “Bollock's” image on the cover of the case below!​

1315030231.jpg

2. Previously I would wonder why I'd so often seen what looked to be “confetti” after closing my eyes during strong MXE visuals. But now I've adapted to the state so much that I can see that the “confetti” I had been seeing is actually the individual afterimages of the letters of text I had been staring at on a Word document, whisked up into a swirl of almost entirely L's, l's, I's, T's, t's, H's and periods (a theory for why it's mostly these three is disused briefly below). I also saw these characters projected over toilet water later after I had been reading a book.

3. I stared at the carpet for a few seconds, closed my eyes, and afterward shook my head quickly. Upon closing my eyes the carpet appeared in monochrome just like the DVD case. But then, after a period of time that corresponded directly with the timing of the head shake, the image of the carpet rippled as if I were viewing it at the bottom of a shallow pool of slightly turbulent water.​

These observations are fascinating because they could make it possible to study the subconscious mind and short term visuals= memories using the subjective reports of MXE users some day. Users could be tasked with reading a text, for example, and then after closing their eyes they could report for how long it took for the images of letters to appear and decompose into visuals unrecognizable as letters. Their reports could be statistically compared and contrasted in terms of the timing of the presentation of all these effects under different conditions, etc. Being able to measure and analyze projections of the mind usually not seen like this using reports of observers could help penetrate into the subconscious (albeit of a mind under the influence of a drug) in ways no fMRI ever could.

I find it fascinating that the recognizable letters are mostly L's, l's, I's, H's, E's, T's,t's, and periods (including the New Times Roman serifs), since these are the only letters composed just of vertical and horizontal lines with respect to the page, with periods being simple dots. We have neuronal populations that respond especially to such lines (because they are rare in the natural environment), so perhaps they appear so prevalently because they literally have a higher bioelectric “amplitude” in the brain, and thus “shine through” more subconsciously.

After the images decomposed and became increasingly more psychedelicized, I noticed variations in how much I could control each "scene." One such scene involved two wisps of smoke dancing together in a dimly lit empty hall, for example. I could largely control how the wisps moved in relation to each other by will, but not decide the contents of the scene itself. I could also change colors of elements of the scenes but it took much more effort than moving already dynamic elements. Studying reports of such features in real time could also tell researchers interesting things about the reach of volition over immediate perceptual/imaginative processes. It's also interesting that my subconscious interpreted the head shake after closing my eyes following staring at the carpet as a "wavy pattern" since my eyes were closed when I shook my head (i.e. there was only darkness). It represents a creative yet logical way the subconscious deals with incorporating sense data from other modalities in re-representing in closed eye visuals what's been recently viewed.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed that even a day or two after these visual MXE experiences when I enter dark areas I see a lot of indistinct motion that obfuscates my vision beyond what I'll see in the same environment a few days from then. It's not HPPD like the way psychedelics can cause. It doesn't last nearly as long. I think, again, it's that some path to the visual subconscious has been tread over during the experience and it takes longer than most other drugs to grow back over it.

Last edited:
I recall this happening to me one time on Ketamine. When I finally laid back and closed my eyes, it looked/felt like going into Hyperspace. The sensation of traveling continued and was accompanied by a variety of strange closed eyed visuals. It was amazing, but after I opened my eyes for a moment, I found it hard to get back to that state.
HYPERDRIVE.jpg

I think like many psychedelic experiences, you'll tend to see what you want to see. If you're looking for science based feedback loops... that's what you'll notice.

I mean after the initial movement feeling, which always started with me as a spinning sensation. Like a merry-go-round with my head in the center, then usually falling through a soft, feather lined parachute tube. Then, plop! Into the first scene.

At any rate, it always seemed similar to lucid dreaming. And you could take a passive roll and let your mind reloop old phenomena ... Or, 'push' it in any direction you want.

Your own creativity and curiosity is the only limiting factor.

Anyhow, its all Maya. :) This board, that dream, my life.

Interesting thread, psood0nym. :) As you know I'm not overly interested in dissociatives and don't have a ton of experience with them, but I do have something that I think it's worth chiming in about.

I think Engage is on to the right idea. The way you describe the experience in your original post, and the way you bring it out by starting at a nondescript surface and relaxing and not moving, and the fact that it took you years to reach those experiences, all make me think that what you - and likely many other dissociative users - are doing is in fact simply causing a natural "OBE", which is entirely possible while completely sober with the same amount of practice and dedication, and is in fact a common practice in lucid dreaming communities. I have experienced all of these things, including the sensation of movement, without the use of drugs.

Given the method of obtaining these, I would wager that the anesthetic nature of dissociatives makes this process much more likely to happen than normal, and their hallucinogenic effects probably just make the experience a little bit stranger and more likely to happen with eyes open, though the body relaxing effects alone could help a lot. I have had a very psychedelic and spiritual-feeling OBE on alcohol by doing this, and it even had music playing like in the other thread.

In this way, I might suggest that the disruptions produced in proprioception in these experiences may be as much from the totally natural process of entering a dream world, although while awake which is less common but not unheard of, as it is from the drug.

Just my thoughts. :)

Interesting thread, psood0nym. :) As you know I'm not overly interested in dissociatives and don't have a ton of experience with them, but I do have something that I think it's worth chiming in about.

I think Engage is on to the right idea. The way you describe the experience in your original post, and the way you bring it out by starting at a nondescript surface and relaxing and not moving, and the fact that it took you years to reach those experiences, all make me think that what you - and likely many other dissociative users - are doing is in fact simply causing a natural "OBE", which is entirely possible while completely sober with the same amount of practice and dedication, and is in fact a common practice in lucid dreaming communities. I have experienced all of these things, including the sensation of movement, without the use of drugs.

Given the method of obtaining these, I would wager that the anesthetic nature of dissociatives makes this process much more likely to happen than normal, and their hallucinogenic effects probably just make the experience a little bit stranger and more likely to happen with eyes open, though the body relaxing effects alone could help a lot. I have had a very psychedelic and spiritual-feeling OBE on alcohol by doing this, and it even had music playing like in the other thread.

In this way, I might suggest that the disruptions produced in proprioception in these experiences may be as much from the totally natural process of entering a dream world, although while awake which is less common but not unheard of, as it is from the drug.

Just my thoughts. :)

[Thread referred to by Goddess Mode above: [MXE] Making music in your brains]

I agree with you entirely, which is why I mentioned OBEs in my original post and lament the dogmatic metaphysical way they're discussed. I've posted about the theoretical overlap in the brain activity patterns dissociatives, dreaming, sleep paralysis, sensory deprivation, and, especially, hypnagogia might share previously (NSFW'd for space):

NSFW:
I agree with the comparisons to hypnagogic activity. I’d further speculate that dissociatives chemically allow the user to maintain similar patterns of activation/inhibition in the areas of the brain responsible for producing sober hynagogic states, as perhaps do opiates during “nodding dreams” and perhaps also does sensory deprivation using non-chemical means (as sekio notes.) The similarities between REM atonia (natural cessation of motor neuron stimulation during sleep/hypnagogia), sensory deprivation, NMDA antagonism, and the effects associated with the opiate nod are too many to ignore when considering what a “hole” is.

If the “hole” is a distinct phenomenon, there must also be some threshold crossed to enter it (the edge of the hole if you will). Here, theories on sleep paralysis (another state between sleep and wakefulness) may be revealing.

From wiki:
Another major theory is that the neural bodies that regulate sleep are out of balance in such a way that allows for the different sleep states to overlap [7]. In this case the cholinergic sleep on neural populations are hyper activated and the serotonergic sleep off neural populations are under activated [7]. As a result the cells capable of sending the signals that would allow for complete arousal from the sleep state, the serotonergic neural populations, have difficulty in overcoming the signals sent by the cells that keep the brain in the sleep state

If indeed the dissociative hole and hypnagogic hallucinations share an underlying pattern of brain activity, then the threshold or “edge” of the hole may be the point at which the dissociative chemically allows for this balance of activation between the cholinergic “sleep on” neuropopulations and the serotonergic “sleep off” populations, though in a different way because the dissociative user is not asleep (I'd think this could be tested, too). Still, the point remains the hole may represent a chemically maintained change in the balance of brain activity that allows the user entering a trance state (which is not that dissimilar to attempting to go to sleep) to suspend consciousness between what are essentially sleep and wake states.

The other subjective differences between hypnagogia and a dissociative hole presumably have to do with the other ways NMDA antagonism, PCP receptor activation, etc., are different from patterns of brain activity occurring during the sober sleep paralysis state. EDIT:These other factors may also account for the way dissociative holes differ between different dissociatives while sharing some strong similarities.[/quote]

Sensory Deprivation

One thing not yet mentioned is sensory deprivation. It takes practice, but I'd say of all things mentioned thus far it is the best bet. I've done it before and it's pretty indistinguishable from hynagogia. I think the muscular paralysis that naturally occurs to keep us from acting out dreams, when it happens before sleep, is essentially a naturally produced sensory deprived near sleep trance, and it's easy to imagine that's essentially most of what hypnagogia is.

TheOuterLimits1995-72224.png

I actually had my first brush with hyperspatial perception using a technique to induce OBEs as a teenager. It involved laying very still, with eyes closed, for an extended period of time (quasi-sensory deprivation) while repeatedly imagining how it would look and feel to get up from the bed and walk around familiar places nearby (creating repeated dissociations from the body in imagined experience).

I had tried it a handful of times before with no results, but this time I suddenly had a vision of a two-dimensional B&W illustration of a house with roots extending from its base (almost certainly from the 90s "The Outer Limits" opening credits, appropriately enough). This image extended out into three dimensions, then it extended into "more," leaving me feeling like I was tumbling around in space, as if my proprioceptive sense had suddenly enervated a body multiplied in an infinity mirror or something. It was totally unexpected! I was so shocked I came out of it after just a couple seconds, and was far too excited to get back into it. Years later I would re-experience the state, though in a far more immersing and longer-lasting form, after smoking salvia 10X while on ayahuasca (to this day I've only experienced it twice). Unlike the earlier experience, which I wasn't certain about how to interpret, this left no doubt in my mind (though despite that lack of doubt I spent 5 minutes repeating the word "IMPOSSIBLE" during and afterwards). ... So I definitely appreciate what you're saying.

From the other thread linked to above:
This is the best picture i could find to visualize it. But here you see the outside. In my trip (when i can make the music with my brains), i'm INSIDE this chamber which looks exactly the same as the pic, but then 9 blocks left, right, top etc.... you get the idea.

neon-cube-23099-400x250.jpg
Notice the similarity between the image Ambi chose to represent dissociative visuals and those I posted at the top of this thread. There seems to being a strong tendency between dissociative visual experiencers towards luminous, monochromatic, "wireframe" visuals. Granted, I believe Ambi's visuals were closed eye and I'm much more likely to see such visuals as open eye projections (my closed eye visuals look more like organic electron microscope imagery), but the similarities may nevertheless be indicative of an evocation of the same essential patterns in the brain by dissociatives.

Last edited:
Test results: I'm goin with "Timing of grapheme entropy in dissociated afterimages"

I conducted one of my proposed informal experiments after five days of dissociative cessation since my last. The dose was the same -- 2Xs 40mg MXE RA; 450mg DXM; 16mg ondansetron, with 20 mg redoses of MXE every 2 - 3 hours throughout. This got me back to a comparable state as after four weeks of cessation from an extended period of using four times per week, and I anticipate I'll need at least a week off until my next experience in order to prevent the resurgence of tolerance from undermining these effects at this dosage.

The test involved being away from text until when I closed my eyes I no longer saw any letters as part of the afterimage that appeared as dissociative visuals (following the half hour used to prepare and consume a light meal). I then read randomly on Bluelight for five minutes, hit start on my phone's timer, and closed my eyes. As anticipated, text appeared as an afterimage.

At first the letters all appeared upright in a jumble, mostly of the same size as in the image below, consisting predominantly of letters composed of only veritical and horizontal lines (H, T, L, etc.) or periods, though some were of different size and many looked to have an "outline" typeface not encountered on Bluelight.

puzzle1.jpg

Entropy set in rapidly. I'd guess within the first 30 seconds, though I kept my eyes closed and was of course inebriated. The letters began to overlap, change in size, alternate between foreground and background, spin, and swirl around more rapidly, similarly to this image:

stock-photo-letter-jumble-21251809.jpg

I hit the timer at 3:35 seconds, when the letter's that had not been subsumed by the new scenes of psychedelic imagery rapidly forming had organically "decomposed" into almost all "I's" without the crossbars or periods, and the "H's," "T's," etc. literally began to droop like wet wallpaper, wave around like a jello sculpture in a current of water, or spin so fast they became frenetic blurs (i.e. they weren't really letters anymore). It was almost cartoonish, like you might imagine an artist's conception of the decay of letter characters might look, but there it was before my eyes. It really appeared to consist of the decay of both formal (warping) and dynamic (spinning/swirling) features. I repeated the test later and this time stopped the timer at 2:59 minutes after reaching a similar state. The act of attending to the test must have itself had a strong effect on the duration observed letter visuals. If I allow myself to fall into a trance and go with the experience, psychedicized imagery will swallow up any afterimage from when my eyes were open within approximately 20 seconds. The focus and consistency of conscious attention of the introspective observer, as well as the how much experience they have looking for specific visauls, are almost certainly variables in the timing of this sort of memory decay.

While it's difficult to stay engaged on a formal task like this in such a state, I didn't get bored of it at this limited duration because it was genuinely fascinating to watch the subtitles of the entropy of grapheme visuals occur. If anybody reading this experiences similar afterimages on dissociatives please consider trying this simple test and posting the results. It literally only takes a few minutes, and even though its really informal, nothing quite like it has been done before.

Proposal
:

The next test I want to do is to use Google images to open "view image" tabs to 9 unique simple shapes (circle, square, etc.), then view each image for 10 seconds over a period of 90 seconds while moving my head from side to side. I want to determine if there is any consistency in the duration of time it takes for a period of "novel afterimages in motion" to begin "replaying" ("novel" in the sense that I don't look at presentations of shapes often, whereas I read text composed of the same 26 letters all the time). The approximate timing of seeing the afterimage in motion of an outline of a man in a cowboy hat inset within a rectangle from the Deadwood DVD boxcover as I passed it on route to the bathroom (as described in post #15) indicates that upon closing my eyes, the afterimage I first see is from 30 seconds to a minute ago. That is, that was about how long it took to get to the upstairs bathroom and close my eyes after passing the DVD. Theoretically, by repeating the test I'll be able to use the order of the presentation of shapes from the Google Images tabs that appear in the afterimage to see if there is any sort of consistent interval to the afterimage in motion phenomenon (if it works at all, heh). That is, if I close my eyes at 90 seconds and the first shape I see is the circle from tab 4 of 8, followed by the square at tab 5 of 8, it will indicate the afterimage in motion is being replayed from around 30 - 40 seconds in the past. It will probably take a bit of tweaking but I suspect something like such an informal test might prove quantitatively interesting and could maybe even be replicated in others to some degree of relative agreement.

Last edited: