• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What's the fastest way to detox from opiates?

ABakedAlien

Greenlighter
Besides that induced coma thing or whatever. What is the fastest way someone can detox from opiates. My friend goes crazy by the second day mainly because he cant stand doing nothing but laying around watching movies feeling horrible. I've heard doing cardio makes it go faster. Is this actually true or would this just get it out of your system faster and not speed up withdrawal symptoms? Is there any other drugs/medication you can take to speed it up? The 5 - 7 days it takes just seems so long. If my friend could speed it up somehow I know he could get clean.

There are ways to make it less painful but as for getting it over with quicker there isn't much you can do. Any sort of working out will help by releasing endorphins, tapering down to a smaller dose will make the whole experience less severe, I feel drinking a ton of water can also help with flushing the system but at the end of the day don't do the crime if you can't do the time, no real way around it.

^ +1 they basically summed it up for ya..
It takes time, the most you can do is comfort yourself, keep your mind busy and stay as healthy as possible while waiting it out.

Yeah besides rapid detox (not worth it all BTW) there is no way to shorten the length of the WDs. Maybe if he were to take a dose naloxone or naltrexone it could knock a day or two off. But that is pretty much the same as rapid detox without the anesthesia & will put him in precipated WD. Which is many more times painful than regular WD & has been described as hell on earth to me from various people. It's just like BigSlick said if you do the crime you gotta do the time. The only other option is for him to get on to a maintenance opiate & slowly ween off. That will make the WD less severe, but he will still have to go through a WD.

Also with any long acting opioid (all maintenance opioids are LA) you basically end up trading a short severe WD for a long lasting milder WD. Either way your friend has a long recovery process in front of him. Also PAWS (post acute withdrawl symptoms) should be brought up here. As many opiate addicts will tell you, the physical part of WD is the easiest part to get through. The depression, lethargic feelings, etc. of PAWS are usually what cause someone recently detoxed to use again.

So don't think that if your friend quits he's done for good. Opiate addiction is a bitch, it changes the way your body produces certain chemicals. Those chemicals don't catch up to their pre use production for quite awhile. Sometimes years even depending on how long a person was an active user. Some people take multiple attempts before actually getting clean.

Those are just some things I would like you to consider if your really trying to help your friend get clean. Know that it is a long process with many set backs along the way. Your friend will need as much positive support & as little negative feedback from you as possible through the experience. Good luck to you & your friend, I hope this post has helped you understand what is going on with him more.

Yeah there really is no way to shorten it.. and 5-7 days is just when the real bad acute-withdrawals end. You still feel like total shit for a couple weeks after that, and then have to go through PAWS.. so I wish it was only 5-7 days, hah. That is short.

Is this the first time she's going to detox and go into withdrawal? If so, you better tell her to buckle up.. Ha.

What is her habit like? What opiates is she doing at what dose and for how long? Depending on those things, her withdrawals can be very different.. so if you let us know all that, we can tell you more specifically what she can expect to go through.

Rapid detox they put you to sleep and inject you with narcan to put you in precipitated withdrawals to clear the opiates right out from the receptors. I've heard good and bad things about it online they don't do it where I live. I reccomed just using suboxone or lopermide and taper down then take some stomach medicine for the discomfort felt after jumping off the taper.

^Loperamide & rapid detox via induced coma and then injection with naloxone/naltrexone have both killed people and are not recommended, it's opioids, not benzodiazepines, so you may as well just try to cold turkey it most of the symptoms are psychological which make the physical symptoms feel legitimately overwhelming but you're not at risk of dying unless you have like certain serious medical conditions which then I would suggest asking your doctor to slowly taper you down using the opioid you were dependent on or using a 24hour time-released opioid like certain morphine formulations, or hydromorphone too, which are used in the rest of the world giving people much better options than the USA where we have only have methadone and buprenorphine indicated for opioid cessation, and DR's are notorious for abruptly discontinuation of opioid medication in patients long dependent and either dropping them completely or forcing a much too rapid taper so some people have no choice but to cold turkey it. The longer you go without using, after a while, it really does becomes a bit easier, just don't put yourself in situations where you know you'll be able to use opioids. Not sure if you're an addict, pain patient, both, but either way, the hyperalgesia does go away if you just keep at it.

TL;DR I suggest CT WD because it seems like the relapse rate are lower if you don't go onto maintenance w/ buprenorphine or methadone, and those two drugs both have a large list of set backs that make them less than ideal for some people. Also, both are infamous for having much more severe and persisting withdrawal syndroms, both post and acute.

I get 1 or 2 8 mg Subutex/Suboxone, take 4mg day one, 2mg day 2, 1mg day 3, then mcg ranges from there. It gets you thru the worst of the w/d w/o becoming dependent or addicted to subs. Can be done same way with methadone. Either way, your last doses need to be in the microgram range, and you shouldnt be on them more than 7-10 days. Thats what works for me. ymmv.

If i could go back in time with what i know now about wds..
I would have CT'd my heroin and OC habit and never went on methadone for a year followed by 2.5 years bupe..
The heroin and OC wds were milder than methadone wds, and the bupe wds/PAWS last FOREVER!
Should have just kicked it, but didn't have the balls at the time. In hindsight, i did have the balls but didn't really wanna give up opiates so i swapped one for another, each getting progressively worse.

Best way is CT.. But you won't know that unless you do it the wrong way first. Funny how that works.

^^ god I despise subs and done solely for these reasons. So many ppl are over prescribed the shit not knowing they're gonna have just as bad w.d if not worse (which is usually the case). If I didn't ask my dr I wouldn't have known subs give u w.d. I feel like if I'm coming to him to get clean off opiates and he gives me subs he should atleast TELL me that it only prolongs the problem

Only time I recommend subs is for someone coming off an IV habit, and even then they shouldn't take it for more than a week.
Or
If you just need to maintain until you can find a time to fully kick, and even then I'd recommend using ur doc for a few weeks to get the sub outta ur system and ur w.d shouldnt be as bad. Bottom line in the end, subs and methadone are worse

I'm surprised no one mentioned ibogaine. It's dangerous and from what I understand it's possible to die from it, but from what I understand u trip balls for a day or two and come out completely clean and not sick. Years ago I watched a documentary about some guy in the middle of nowhere who brings addicts in and monitors them while detox with ibogaine.

OP just get some loperamide, weed, and valerian and ride it out, don't let ppl psych u out. I'm on day 3 of w.d, last night was absolute hell. By day 3 you start to see the light and by day 4-5 it's very very bearable

I gotta agree with the subs & done are worst statements. I went on to suboxone before the doctors had any idea what it really did or was. I had been addicted to opiates for 10yrs. before I decided to try subs & was an IV user at that point. So my doc put right on maintenance therapy. Man what a mistake, here I am almost 6 yrs. later & I still take 2 to 3 mg a day. My doctor is a really good guy & has actually apologized to all his early patients who he put right on to maintenance. Now you have to fail at the rapid sub taper a few times before he will accept you as a maintenance patient. But that really don't help me now, I just gotta start tapering again & then man up & deal with whatever pain awaits me after that. Morale of the story, exhaust all other opiate cessation methods before going on to any opiate maintenance regimens. I wish I had & I'm sure many other BLers would concur.

^Yeah

Loperamide is pretty contradicted due to the number of people who have died using it, it's just something you should be aware of when recommending it to anyone.

Those rapid detoxes using naltrexone or whatever don't even really shorten the withdrawals anyway, and if they do it's not nearly enough to make it worth it. Last summer I had taken a low dose of subs for a few days to detox and was fine 5 days later, so tried the naltrexone that I was prescribed and it put me in precipitated withdrawals. So even though my kick had pretty much been over, having the small amount of bupe still on my receptors ripped off at once made for a shitty night, followed by 3 days of regular withdrawal that was worse than what I would have been facing if I just stayed off the bupe. I found out later that they now recommend that you wait 2 weeks before starting naltrexone if you were on a maintenance drug, or 10 days if you were on short acting opiates.

Anyway, I agree with Kid Amine as to the best / shortest way to detox. I never use more than 2 subs, and most times only have 1 to work with. Sometimes I taper with 1 pill over 3-4 days and other times I just take the 8mg the first day and that's it, and it works just about the same as tapering over a few days since the single large dose is slowly leaving your system the same as if you tapered over a few days but is best used for a smaller habit since larger ones require a slightly longer taper to give you more time between being on a high dose down to nothing.

Last edited:
gabapentin helps so much but not the pain unless your pain is neurological