View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Smoking Bufo Alvarius Venom vs 5-MeO-DMT crystal

Nemodeus

Greenlighter
Ive smoked venom before, and I understand it contains Bufotenin as well as 5-Me0-DMT, but I'm uncertain if that actually makes much difference or would I have practically the same experience with 5-MeO-DMT crystal?

Bufotenin is definitely active, so of course it would change the experience.
My guess is that it would make it much more visual than solo 5-meo-dmt.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you speaking from experience with Bufotenin?

I've been reading up about it and finding conflicting information about its psychoactive properties. One paper says the varied findings could possibly be due to difficulty crossing the blood brain barrier and that perhaps it psychoactively effects only certain individuals. Another paper says any reported hallucinogenic effects are likely due more to an affect on the optic nerve and not actually psychoactive properties.

What I'm more curious about though...

I've read that Bufo Alvarius venom contains significantly lager amounts of 5-MeO-DMT than Bufotenin. With the required dosage of 5-MeO-DMT being so low I wondering if there would even be enough Bufotenin in a dose of venom to make a difference?

Are you speaking from experience with Bufotenin?

Nope, I only have experience with 5-meo-dmt solo, but here is a comparison from someone who has experienced both and he says bufotenin is MUCH more visual than 5-meo-dmt.

I've read that Bufo Alvarius venom contains significantly lager amounts of 5-MeO-DMT than Bufotenin. With the required dosage of 5-MeO-DMT being so low I wondering if there would even be enough Bufotenin in a dose of venom to make a difference?

According to this you are right that it contains much more 5-meo-dmt than bufotenin, and they are almost equipotent, so yes, you are right, the bufotenin wouldn't really matter.

I'm sure that the presence of bufotenine would flavour the trip compared to pure synthetic 5-MeO-DMT. I've noticed differences between synthetic & extracted DMT so I'm sure there'd be similar differences with 5-MeO-DMT. That isn't to say the 5-MeO-DMT won't predominate, I'm sure it would as it's known to be the main constituent of Bufo Alviarus venom, I think there may be other things in there too, though in very small quantities.

Aren't there also compounds like NMT / 5-MeO-NMT and stuff like that present in Bufo venom?

IMO it is best to first ask yourself what you are trying to achieve. Is it just interest in using the venom, whatever it contains? Or is the point trying a source of bufotenine or 5-MeO-DMT? Because if it is one of the latter, virola resin or maybe diplopterys would be examples of sources of 5-MeO-DMT that are apparently safer. For bufotenine Vilca seeds would be the superior option. Of course there is also just 5-MeO-DMT crystal yes. And if that isn't good enough for you (it should be) potentiating it via a controlled way by consciously adding other actives or potentiators seems smarter and more responsible.
It is also worth realizing that 5-MeO-DMT is very powerful and may not be safe to potentiate with other drugs like say MAOIs. That can be lethal I think. There may not necessarily be MAOIs in toad venom, but just saying that potentiating 5-MeO-DMT with whatever else has to be approached with care.
IIRC there are related compounds that can make it feel like one's head is about to explode, giving you a purple face, seeing spots and a range of fucked up side effects like that. Be careful randomly trying ethno drugs like these.

Toad venoms in general may also contain toxins unrelated to these tryptamines, especially depending on where the toads live and what they eat.

Last edited:
Aren't there also compounds like NMT / 5-MeO-NMT and stuff like that present in Bufo venom?

IMO it is best to first ask yourself what you are trying to achieve. Is it just interest in using the venom, whatever it contains? Or is the point trying a source of bufotenine or 5-MeO-DMT? Because if it is one of the latter, virola resin or maybe diplopterys would be examples of sources of 5-MeO-DMT that are apparently safer. For bufotenine Vilca seeds would be the superior option. Of course there is also just 5-MeO-DMT crystal yes. And if that isn't good enough for you (it should be) potentiating it via a controlled way by consciously adding other actives or potentiators seems smarter and more responsible.
It is also worth realizing that 5-MeO-DMT is very powerful and may not be safe to potentiate with other drugs like say MAOIs. That can be lethal I think. There may not necessarily be MAOIs in toad venom, but just saying that potentiating 5-MeO-DMT with whatever else has to be approached with care.
IIRC there are related compounds that can make it feel like one's head is about to explode, giving you a purple face, seeing spots and a range of fucked up side effects like that. Be careful randomly trying ethno drugs like these.

Toad venoms in general may also contain toxins unrelated to these tryptamines, especially depending on where the toads live and what they eat.

I'm not entirely sure the exact composition of the venom but it likely does have a bunch of other stuff in there. The only psychoactive components I can find listed anywhere are Bufotenin and 5-MeO-DMT.

Anyway I've smoked the venom before. Basically I'll be getting some crystal soon and was curious if anybody had tried both before to maybe get some insight as to how much different the pure stuff would be vs the venom. Its not really a huge deal, just curiosity mostly, Ill be finding out soon enough.

I have a pretty good idea what I'm in for anyway, and I'm not looking for a recreational high.

I'm not entirely sure the exact composition of the venom but it likely does have a bunch of other stuff in there. The only psychoactive components I can find listed anywhere are Bufotenin and 5-MeO-DMT.

Anyway I've smoked the venom before. Basically I'll be getting some crystal soon and was curious if anybody had tried both before to maybe get some insight as to how much different the pure stuff would be vs the venom. Its not really a huge deal, just curiosity mostly, Ill be finding out soon enough.

I have a pretty good idea what I'm in for anyway, and I'm not looking for a recreational high.

Maybe not but I still assume that you are looking for a safe experience that is not unpleasant or uncomfortable. ;)

Just be careful, you are not necessarily committed to go all the way with this stuff instead of considering other options - just because you possess it.

Yes, bufotoxins like bufotalin or bufadienolide could certainly be an issue.

For example I guess. The bufo side-effects I mentioned do seem like they can be cardiovascular. Not necessarily bufotenin though, if that is purified well it apparently loses a lot of those purple faced side-effects and just only remains DMT or psilocybin like.
And 5-MeO-DMT itself also packs a punch in that department. Injecting 1 mg of it intramuscularly has really given me a really overwhelming baseball bat whack.

Maybe not but I still assume that you are looking for a safe experience that is not unpleasant or uncomfortable. ;)

Just be careful, you are not necessarily committed to go all the way with this stuff instead of considering other options - just because you possess it.

Tis a fair assumption :) If Id looked into the contents of the venom and possible side effects back then I likely never would have done it, but I did, and I had a profound experience none the less and came out the other side without any issues.

I do appreciate the advice friend.

Bufotenine is a very powerful psychedelic that is different from DMT or 5-MeO-DMT although it had similarities. I haven't actually tried it but certain members in this forum have discussed ways to eliminate the bufotenine toxic-feeling side effects, by making it a certain salt or something, and it's an amazing experience according to them. Maybe check out the the B&D Buofenine thread. However, in toad venom it DOES have the toxic side-effects which people report to be extremely troubling. I wouldn't personally smoke toad venom, you can get bufotenine from other places and it's possible to extract it and convert it to a better form.

So yeah, toad venom has substantially differemt effects from 5-MeO-DMT and DMT, and yes the bufotenine makes a difference, how much of one depends on how much is in there. :) And also, there are likely many other related compounds present in the venom, and some of them could be dangerous for all I know.

^ MGS has experience with both bufotenine and pure 5-meo-dmt so I'm sure he can answer some of your questions if he's around (last I heard he was going through an iboga session, good luck mgs <3). However, I think he's only ingested the prepared yopo seeds so he may not be able to draw a comparison from the venom to pure 5-meo-dmt. He did tell me though that when prepared properly the seeds don't have too much bodyload... sorry I couldn't be of any help. I've always thought the venom was a toxic, dirty version of 5-meo-dmt and actually turned down the opportunity to ingest it.