• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

Yeah, good luck! Let us know how it goes. You made a good decision.

Thank you to Lorne?? Good advise and comforting. Heartfelt.

The withdrawal from all that Lope must be horrible. I think you are going to feel a lot better right away actually.

God bless! ❤️

Thanks guys. You really have made me feel less nervous Lorne???. I was starting to wonder if I'd made the right decision (not that I have any alternatives, other than just dealing with the long, drawn out lope withdrawal of the course)

I just really need it to work, with the ultimate goal of getting on a taper plan. I can't live like this anymore.

Thanks again. Ttyl

Well You may need to wait awhile for that taper... No more Loperamide, Take ~8mg (They could give you 2mg to start, wait and then double, and up to 8 or mg, which is silky, it takes 2-3hrs to peak/reach maximum effect, on average

And I am flattered, painful one although, you can't have my isolation, or the hate that it brings! ;)

GottagetGoodies, just try and be confident, Buprenorphine shall feel like a "real " opioid, is actually well absorbed into the bloodstream, and fully penetrates the CNS - And yes, it is easier to taper, because of its high potency, oddly enough, and slow elimination. Post back, let us know - Don't leave us hanging ;) Seriously, this is important to me, both because of the potential dangers of Loperamide, and some personal reasons m

Good Luck hun

- Lorne(the magnificent????)

You're absolutely right. About all of it. I'll have to tell him because I won't be able to get away with all the appointments and money without him noticing. And just for my own success I need him to know. He's just one of those ppl who think addiction is purely a choice and has no empathy for anyone dealing with it. At all. He thinks I stopped all substances 7 years ago when I got pregnant. He knew how bad my oxy habit was but understands so little about it that he believed I simply stopped doing it all of a sudden. Of course I couldn't. Enter the lope. I've been on it "behind his back" ever since...hes not gonna be happy about that. But sometimes he really surprises me with his reactions to shit. Things I think he's gonna freak out about he ends up being chill about. Unpredictable at best.

I really think he's not gonna quite get it when I tell him, so he might just shrug it off. I'm not counting on him for support really. He's not the most emotionally connected person, he lacks empathy in a lot of ways. So it might just be a neutral topic as far as he's concerned. Idk. We'll see.

But yeah I'm going to have to tell him. He's too easy to keep secrets from and that's not what I need. I mean I haven't exactly been super sneaky about the lope thing, I know he's seen the million boxes and bottles in my car at some point but he's never said a word. He's not the type to question things. That's me. Lol I'd be all kinds of nosy if I saw that shit in his car.

Good on you for taking the difficult step of telling those close to you. Everyone else in my life I have no problem with them knowing. I don't have to live with them. I don't share a home and two beautiful little boys with them. If he wants to my bf could totally turn my world upside down, everyone else can't. He could kick me out and not want me around the kids. What then? I'd be devastated. I'm sure that won't happen but it's always in the back of my mind when I think about telling him.

That describes a lot of people i know, the whole "why dont you just stop?" mentality. They come around sometimes though, especially if they actually care about you.

You know what you might find helpful, try to find an addiction group for families, or just some sort of counselor/therapist. You'd both go, sometimes together sometimes separate, and not going for too long. Go just long enough so that your confident your boyfriend understands addiction better than he did before, where he can kinda put himself in your shoes.

Counselors dont actually try to fix anything like writing a prescription for more hugs and happiness, they're really just there to ask the right &relevant questions and direct the conversation in the right direction. They think to ask about things I never would have considered to explore, and they can kinda sense which parts of your story contain the real problems. Basically, a tour guide to take you through the discussion between you and him gives you tools to discover whats really going on under the skin and figure out what exactly his thouht process is. You both come out at the end understanding eachother better, helping eachother, and not having to deal with lies. Give it a shot

That describes a lot of people i know, the whole "why dont you just stop?" mentality. They come around sometimes though, especially if they actually care about you.

You know what you might find helpful, try to find an addiction group for families, or just some sort of counselor/therapist. You'd both go, sometimes together sometimes separate, and not going for too long. Go just long enough so that your confident your boyfriend understands addiction better than he did before, where he can kinda put himself in your shoes.

Counselors dont actually try to fix anything like writing a prescription for more hugs and happiness, they're really just there to ask the right &relevant questions and direct the conversation in the right direction. They think to ask about things I never would have considered to explore, and they can kinda sense which parts of your story contain the real problems. Basically, a tour guide to take you through the discussion between you and him gives you tools to discover whats really going on under the skin and figure out what exactly his thouht process is. You both come out at the end understanding eachother better, helping eachother, and not having to deal with lies. Give it a shot

That's a really good idea! We've bounced around the idea of counseling before, for typical relationship shit. But never followed through once I started looking for providers and seeing the cost. The free or income-based services like that (if any even exist) are hard to find around here, in my experience. With everything, not just mental health-ish services.

Coincidentally, he just got a call from his brother yesterday saying how he needs to let everyone (family) know that he relapsed with meth, and has been hiding it for several months, and is going to rehab. My bf responded quite well surprisingly. Saying things like "I'm proud of him for telling us and for seeking help, I know it must have been hard for him" and "I wish he'd told us sooner", etc etc. Funny how things happen like that. Just when I'm terrified and needing some encouragement to spill MY beans, that happens. I get to see his positive reaction to a similar situation. My situation is a little worse I think because I'm his partner and mother of his children who has been lying for years, that's his brother who is known to have these issues so it's not really surprising and he doesn't really OWE my bf his honesty as I feel I do. But mine isn't meth, so I guess there's that lol.

Thanks again. I think once I get past tomorrow, confirm that the sub thing is gonna work, get going with that, I'll feel more confident to tell him.

OK so first of all fuck suboxone. In the context of Loperamide anyway. I waited 48 hrs. Precipitated withdrawal like a motherfucker. And because it was Friday doctor would t see me until Monday. Told me to make the remaining four 8mg subs last til I can come in Monday. She says it's bc I opted for the generic. But I'm pretty sure it's bc no one really knows how to transfer someone from lope to bupe. I'm pretty sure it's even harder than methadone to bupe. I tried one more 8mg Saturday at noon and I felt tiny little pieces of relief swirling around my brain...then BAM! felt 4x-5x worse than before I took it.

So maybe I just need a much higher dose? OK. But I can't afford it. Even if I find a way to afford it then I'm just dependent upon a high dose of bupe and inevitably have to feel like shit again when it's finally time to taper then finally time to jump off completely. I've done suboxone detox... It was fucked up. Way worse than what I've felt this time.

This shit may last longer and take longer to feel back to "normal" whatever the fuck that even means anymore. But I dont think bupe is the way for me.

I'm so sorry to hear that G.G.G.
I was hoping it would go smooth for you. I don't think the doctors know anything about the loperamide thing really and unfortunately, you are probably one of the few going from that much loperamide to suboxone. They are probably learning how to do it but don't have it down yet.

Maybe you should just taper yourself off. I wish I knew the answer for you. Have you read a few stories that others have documented on the internet about how they did it and what to expect?

I think I am withdrawal from lope right now also. I used 40 mg tapered down to 10 mg over 10 days to bridge a gap in my prescription for morphine this month and I am in withdrawal from the lope now. Even with having my regular prescription of morphine for 7 days now, I am having lope withdrawal on the side. So I'm thinking it just may hit entirely different receptors. You would think 75 mg of morphine a day would cover the lope huh? It isn't. I can't believe how high my pain level is.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on with my body so don't take that as fact but that is what I am thinking.
The other things that could be making it worse are that I over exerted myself, I'm going through menopause and I had a major chronic pain flare up but i can usually tell what is from what and I think I am most definitely having withdrawal from the lope now and my prescription is not even touching it.

I tell you what though my friend, the lope is toxic. I have a very poisoned feeling. I'm starting to feel better at times on and off now.
I hope this information might help you to decide what you want to do. Please let us know how you are doing.

Praying for you and us!

Well I said to reduce the lope dose, realized didn’t know the dose

I assure you, imagine, having to go 72hrs without, after taking half your lope dose

And also, you start on SMALL doses of bupe; 2mg at most - You need to try low doses, and gradually go up

You can’t force 8mg down your, eh, under your tongue - it takes time hun, it’s not that hard - it isn’t easy, though lets just say I know more about this than any doctor (That would be one odd specialty)

I think that maybe you need to go into that business Lorne the Loperamide fuck up fixer?? LOL!
Serious though. It is pretty sad what the war on drugs has done!
I bet you would have quite a few customers Lorne!

It doesn't even seem like the doctors know as much as the patients!

Lope withdrawal sucks and sucks bad! That is all I have to say.

The Dr thought 8mg was too low. Wanted to do 24 to "flood my receptors". Idk, I don't think it would have worked any better. Probably worse. And then what? I'm stuck at 24mg/day bupe? No thanks. She didn't even fucking Google it for God's sakes! She had her laptop up, taking all these notes about my history. I even asked at one point how much she knew about lope and she said "oh it's not special. An opiate is an opiate". If I wasn't so desperate I would have just walked out then before she had my $300. She'll call tomorrow when I don't come to my appt and I guess I'll just tell her nevermind.

Thanks guys. Your advice has meant a lot. I think we're just Guinea pigs at this point. I told the Dr to be ready bc more of me will be coming out of the woodwork soon. Hope she's more prepared next time.

Yeah G.G.G, you don't want to get stuck on a sub dosage that high.
I have heard of other people helping other people induct with the sub and this guy is an expert. Has people still asking for him after ten years. He says even the most hardcore habit can be managed with only 1 mg sub! Less is more he says but the process must be done right at the beginning!

There is no way around the fact that you are going to have to suffer some withdrawals. But a few days or so (since the half life of lope is so long and it has a stacking effect) and then follow his method and many, many people have been able to be quite comfortable they say on just 1 mg sub and then you taper that down in minute measurements over a period of time and you are free and clear.

I doubt I can post his name or the site I have seen him on but if you want to private message me, I can tell you where to look and his name. Then you can read and maybe even find a loperamide case and see what you think.

Cyndi Munsen, Oklahoma State Representative District 85, has introduced a bill to put Loperamide behind the counter.

April 2018- The FDA wants new legislation to limit over the counter packages to 8 pills.

Armageddon is near......

Last edited:
I just bought an off-brand that I am currently using with great success. Online from a major retailer. Got 1200 pills for a few bucks more than a carton of smokes.
I did the math too for the liquid. Every brand is a complete joke.

I got my new prescription for oxy a week ago. Havent used any Loperamide since. I thought I was crazy but PainfulOne had the same experience.:
The Loperamide is blocking my oxy from having any effect. I was off oxy for 18 days. I am up to 210 mg oxy yesterday with almost zero effects(positive ir negative) I actually feel like I could take a whole gram of oxy today and not get anything.
PainfulOne said this lasted for three weeks. Im going to have to work really hard to get my tolerance back down. As it is I will run out a week early already and be back on Loperamide again this month.

I got my new prescription for oxy a week ago. Havent used any Loperamide since. I thought I was crazy but PainfulOne had the same experience.:
The Loperamide is blocking my oxy from having any effect. I was off oxy for 18 days. I am up to 210 mg oxy yesterday with almost zero effects(positive ir negative) I actually feel like I could take a whole gram of oxy today and not get anything.
PainfulOne said this lasted for three weeks. Im going to have to work really hard to get my tolerance back down. As it is I will run out a week early already and be back on Loperamide again this month.

Squeaky, the loperamide is way stronger than we had calculated. Think Fentanyl strong= 100 times stronger than morphine according to Jansen pharmaceuticals.
Don't take anymore of it! Just figure out how many oxy pills you have left and how many you could take a day until you get your refill again and only take that amount. You are not going to feel them anyway. At least it is something. Because in like five or so days, you are going to hit the loperamide withdrawal.

The loperamide withdrawal was three weeks of ACUTE withdrawal. I am still going through some of the withdrawal from the loperamide.

It is a horror show! But it can be done!

The loperamide is not blocking our oxy/ morphine, it has raised our tolerance so fucking high that it has rendered oxy or morphine virtually useless. You have got to break this cycle. Once you do, you will see the truth in what I am saying.

I tapered down to 10 mg rapidly while using it for 10 days for MS Contin withdrawal (ran out of medication 10 days early, Stupid I know!). Started loperamide at 48 mg and tapered rapidly to ten mg over ten days time and still had three weeks of ACUTE loperamide withdrawal.
Plus I was in moderate MS Contin withdrawal the entire time of using the Loperamide.
I thought I was "tapering down" from overusing the MS Contin by 10 days with the Loperamide.
I took a total of 116-2mg - loperamide pills over ten days time for morphine withdrawal= WAY TOO MUCH LOPERAMIDE!

This Loperamide stuff is like some kind of peripheral withdrawal too that the other opiates did not seem to really touch. Also, I noticed that once the withdrawal really started rolling, don't even try to stop it. Just hold on friends!

Last edited:
Here is my analogy of using Loperamide (which is close to fentanyl= approximately 100 times stronger than morphine) for opiate withdrawal.

You are using something way stronger than the medication you are withdrawaling from. The loperamide works on peripheral receptors, so you don't get much of any kind of a high from loperamide. That you are noticing. The lope seems to work pretty good to keep opiate withdrawal away and does give a bit of a mood lift and I got some actual pain relief from it.

But, you are actually jacking your tolerance into outer space. Now when you go back to your regular prescription of morphine or OxyContin, you are in outer space and this stuff is not strong enough to be of any use.

It is important that you lay a foundation for yourself with your prescribed morphine/ OxyContin . Even though you are not feeling it yet. Keep to a stable schedule and stable dosage of your prescribed morphine or OxyContin.

Once some time goes by without taking any loperamide and sticking to your foundation that you have built by using your prescribed morphine or oxy, you will start to have times of "relief" and will "feel" that foundation. Then you will be back out in outer space for awhile in the loperamide withdrawal. With time and with keeping up building your foundation solid by using the same dosage morphine or oxy and taking it at the same time everyday. You will have more and more times where you feel this foundation and you are even "comfy" at times. Then back out into outer space and back to your foundation.

Until, finally, you have landed and are not in outer space anymore and your foundation which you wisely built by taking the same dosage of at the same time everyday of your prescribed morphine or oxy is once again holding you.

This is the way I got through it and learned a lot in the process.

Current plan is back on Loperamide. Get down to a reasonable level ASAP. Taper off the stuff. Be off lope and opiates for two weeks at least. Then re-evaluate my situation.
I fucked up my tolerance for all opiates. The only star in the sky right now is I can get as much Loperamide as I want. I get no buzz from it, so tapering is easier than oxy.

Im going to disappear for a month or so while I sort this out. I cant deal with major wds right now, so Im going slow.

Current plan is back on Loperamide. Get down to a reasonable level ASAP. Taper off the stuff. Be off lope and opiates for two weeks at least. Then re-evaluate my situation.
I fucked up my tolerance for all opiates. The only star in the sky right now is I can get as much Loperamide as I want. I get no buzz from it, so tapering is easier than oxy.

Im going to disappear for a month or so while I sort this out. I cant deal with major wds right now, so Im going slow.

Okay Squeaky. Good luck bro!
You will be alright. Just taper the loperamide down. I ran across experiences from people saying the withdrawal from lope is not nearly as intense when tapered down- all the way down to one pill a day and staying there for five days and then going to a half a pill for five days. Hopefully you can avoid what I went through. It looks like you can at least avoid the intensity of the withdrawal.

Today I am feeling ALOT better. I'm through the lope withdrawal after almost 8 weeks of acute, severe, opiate withdrawal.
It was more like opiate, benzo, and some kind of bad acid trip withdrawal.

I was getting really scared. It was so harsh and lasted so long.
I seem to be fine now and I am thankful just to be back to my usual chronic pain.
Never thought I would say that.

Be safe. You are in my prayers!
You can do this!