• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loperamide (Imodium) Megathread v. 2

Opiacrohns ( I have crohns too btw)
I was on about 160mg oxy and I got about 75% relief on 24mg lope and some Ativan.
Things to remember are the come up takes awhile, you start to think it's not gonna work then all of a sudden notice your fever and chills are gone, also long term use of lope is dangerous, it's only good for a rapid taper or bridge between scripts. I wouldn't use for more than 7-10 days.
Lastly, what I've found is it helps shut down the mental yearning. Which is priceless. Give it a go, don't expect a miracle, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bliss26 you're a life saver! Thank you so much for your help. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it. I feel as though I am mentally ready to quit, just need to get past the physical aspect. I plan on tapering as fast as possible so I can get off any opiate.
Also, I'm sorry to hear you have crohns. I hope you are able to keep it stable. I know how much it can suck. The whole reason I got into this mess was due to my crohns. My doc prescribed me all the oxy I could want for the pain.... And I loved it. Now I am ready to manage wo the pills and deal with life as it comes. Thank you again Bliss26 any other advice would be welcome if you have it. I wish you the best.
OC

Opiacrohns, you're very welcome! When are you jumping off? I'd love to hear your daily thoughts when hopping off the opiates; it really serves as motivation for the people who are about to quit and are reading all WD reports they can get their hands on.
One piece of advice? Don't focus on PAWS. Listen, I have no doubt it exists . But I feel like some people make it sound like Hell warmed over. And a billion times worse than it actually is . I think it's more of a self fulfilling prophesy. If you think you're going to be doomed to six months of denigrating depression.., guess what? You're right! And so on. Once acute withdrawal is over, the days are mostly sunny. Try your best to focus on the 90% sun and not that niggling cloud behind it :)

Rachel, if your friend has D on the daily and needs Imodium, you can get a prescription strength diarrhea relief agent. In Canada it's called Lomotil, and it'd be infinitely cheaper if you have insurance, but even if you don't, IIRC it wasn't expensive .

Bliss26 I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I wound up giving in before I even gave jumping a shot. Apparently I'm a very weak willed person. Honestly, I'm just scared to try and do this. I will be making my jump this week however. I will do my best to try and keep everyone updated as I go.
I feel like I will be able to handle paws, it's the acute wd that has me terrified. Hopefully the loperamide will work for me as well as it did for others. Still scared I won't be able to make it. I'm hoping for the best though.
Thank you Bliss26 for your help and kind words. It means a lot to someone who is doing this by themselves.

Its crazy! I just read a bunch of posts from back on the original thread started in 2007 and EVERYONE was saying how "Oh this is fucking stupid, retarded and pointless. Everyone was talking shit and now look. 8 years later and there is a HUGE Growing fanbase and A LOT of addicts swear by this stuff now! 30 to 60 mg of lope a day or more and some tagamet with some Valerian root caps and you can kick pretty easily!

I did another experiment with loperamide.decided to skip my normal daily dose of 30mg MS Contin 3x's /day and 10/325 percs 3x's/day for breakthrough pain. I should also note that I had done a fast taper over the few days prior. I took 60mg of omeprazole, 300mg of cimetidine, Washed down with a Monster energy drink containing quercetin. About 30 mins later, i drank 16oz of white grapefruit juice. 45 mins later, i took 72mg of lope. It took a couple hours to kick in, but ALL withdrawal symptoms disappeared, and even my pain levels were reduced. I felt a relaxing sensation, like a subtle opiate buzz especially when I was laying down. When I looked in the mirror, I did have the trademark pinpoint pupils. The omeprazole and quercetin are PGP inhibitors, so they supposedly help loperamide cross the blood brain barrier. While i wouldn't say i got really high (i don't even from my prescribed med doses), i definitely felt something more with the quercetin and omeprazole, grapefruit juice and tagamet than i had before with just lope alone. By itself, Loop basically just stops the diarrhea, and cuts down a bit on the physical withdrawals. When I use this method, I had absolutely no cravings whatsoever and went to an entire day with none of my prescribed pills, in spite of the fact that I still had some left.

I did another experiment with loperamide.decided to skip my normal daily dose of 30mg MS Contin 3x's /day and 10/325 percs 3x's/day for breakthrough pain. I should also note that I had done a fast taper over the few days prior. I took 60mg of omeprazole, 300mg of cimetidine, Washed down with a Monster energy drink containing quercetin. About 30 mins later, i drank 16oz of white grapefruit juice. 45 mins later, i took 72mg of lope. It took a couple hours to kick in, but ALL withdrawal symptoms disappeared, and even my pain levels were reduced. I felt a relaxing sensation, like a subtle opiate buzz especially when I was laying down. When I looked in the mirror, I did have the trademark pinpoint pupils. The omeprazole and quercetin are PGP inhibitors, so they supposedly help loperamide cross the blood brain barrier. While i wouldn't say i got really high (i don't even from my prescribed med doses), i definitely felt something more with the quercetin and omeprazole, grapefruit juice and tagamet than i had before with just lope alone. By itself, Loop basically just stops the diarrhea, and cuts down a bit on the physical withdrawals. When I use this method, I had absolutely no cravings whatsoever and went to an entire day with none of my prescribed pills, in spite of the fact that I still had some left.

1. It's not really a high, it's more the peripheral effects, or psychosomatic, I don't know, itchy nose should be limited to central action, and I get it on lope sometimes, makes me think psychosomatic.
2. Do you mean 72 pills/144mg or 72mg? I would guess pills cause they're 2mg and the standard bottle is 72count.
3.If you took just the lope without that other fancy stuff it'd do the same thing I bet.

Ive been addicted to opiates for about 10 years now. Ive relapsed and withdrawn many times. loperamide definitely works, as many have repeated here. what i havent come across yet is a proper taper plan, like you would use with suboxone for instance.. ive taken pretty much every kind of opiate. i have a ridiculous tolerance, and am just recently(like 50 hours ago) kicking an I.V. H habit again. im really trying to do this the right way this time, without suboxone and benzos, and with counseling.

anyway i wanted to share my detox plan if anyone was interested. this time around i was shooting .2-.5 gs a day, sometimes more, for about 4 months. im a female, 5'5 130 lbs.

12 hours after last shot- 400mg acid reducer followed by 20mgs lope.
24 hours after 400mg acid reducer..18mgs lope.
36 hours after 400mg acid reducer 12 mgs lope, 100 mg vistaril for "sleep"
48 hours after..nothing so far. this is when i plan to take lope with a potentiator as needed, probably only before bed with the vistiral for a couple more days.

i personally feel like you should only use lope for 3 days or so. im amazed at how well it can work, and not naive to the fact it can be addictive. i dont want to trade one addiction for another for sure.

Again i wished when i stopped with my H Needlehobby, i had known about loperamide. i thought 3 days to be smart but when you do that day four comes the craving again. And due to the long halflife of lope, i feeel like WD was easy....so I relapse. So i plan to go slowly down this time.
But coming off the needle shouldt have horror to it, that you may say like Magneto of the X men...No needle shall ever touch my body again!!!!!
Go for it. Keep moving. You can do it.

Interesting connection between loperamide and anxiety:

Loperamide, an opiate agonist of high specificity for mu-receptors, was recently reported to suppress ACTH and cortisol levels in normal subjects, but not in patients with proven ACTH-dependent Cushing's disease. However, there is little information on the site of action of loperamide in the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis of man. We investigated the effect of loperamide on pituitary hormone secretion in vivo and in vitro. In seven normal subjects, basal ACTH plasma levels were significantly suppressed 3 h after loperamide administration (16 mg, orally) from 5 +/- 1 to 2 +/- 0 pmol/L (P less than 0.0001). After the combined pituitary stimulation test (100 micrograms human CRH, 100 micrograms GnRH, 100 micrograms GH-releasing hormone, and 200 micrograms TRH), the ACTH peak (maximum increase at 30 min) was significantly blunted by loperamide from 9 +/- 1 to 4 +/- 1 pmol/L (P less than 0.001) and the area under the curve of ACTH from 0-120 min was reduced from 35 +/- 5 to 23 +/- 4 pmol/L.2 h (P less than 0.05). In the insulin-hypoglycemia test (0.15 IU/kg BW), neither the ACTH peak nor the area under the curve of ACTH was affected by loperamide. In six patients with Cushing's disease and one patient with secondary adrenal insufficiency due to hypothalamic failure, neither basal ACTH and cortisol levels nor CRH-stimulated levels were influenced by loperamide. In four cultured human corticotropic adenomas, loperamide was not able to reduce basal and CRH-induced ACTH secretion. In summary, loperamide is able to reduce basal and CRH-induced ACTH and cortisol levels in normal subjects, but not in patients with Cushing's disease or secondary adrenal failure of hypothalamic origin. Loperamide has no significant effect on insulin-hypoglycemia-induced ACTH and cortisol levels and, therefore, no effect on stress-induced elevation of cortisol levels. Loperamide might act at a suprapituitary site in man in vivo, but, nevertheless, a pituitary site cannot be excluded.]

What does this mean? It means loperamide even in small doses can affect mood through the HPA axis -- aka anxiety, fight-or-flight, etc.

I've begun taking loperamide to address anxiety and panic. The constipation is terrible and I don't take much each day. The anxiety and panic started after withdrawing from tramadol/kratom. I've been miserable. No sleep. High blood pressure. A total wreck for 10 weeks. The loperamide is the only thing in these past few days that has helped me cope. I'm only taking one or two tablets at a time.

Now I fear addiction is coming. I'm not sure what to do. I know this is all wrecking my body but I couldn't see any other way of going forward. The anxiety after 10 weeks is unbearable.

@ Crunchy, have you tried conventional anti anxiety drugs for your anxiety? Or you're afraid you'll get addicted?
I've found that although I have severe trouble making my opiate last, that I've never once been inclined to take more or more often of my benzo than when needed. That's to say, I didn't find it more-ish in the least. I know some do, but I don't think it's nearly as addictive as opiates, although it seems once the addiction is deleoped, they're more hellish to WD from than opiates.
Some people seem to like phenibut / etizolam for panic. For me I found in an emergency if I forgot my Ativan, that any depressant worked in a pinch (gravol, benedryl, hydroxyzine, etc.

The codeine is gone, I'm at the end day 3.... When I wake up it'll be Day 4. Because of the quick turn codeine taper I don't have the yawning, insomnia, hot flashes, runny eyes and nose, funky smell. The only I seem to have is :
Pain and probably rebound pain,
Achy muscles and extreme lethargic, no appetite, and just no interest in anything... And thinking about the meds 24/7.
I think if we hadn't gotten 2 feet of snow I'd have probably caves by now.
That's my problem: I'm in CP and not incentivized enough to stop-- my real issue is I go through them too quick and then spend a fortune on "other replacement meds". It's a lot of money. Families live on less per month than what I spend just on recreationals :( and I'm motivated to save money as we just a blew a lot on Christmas/vacation etc.

This is my very first post here, so please forgive me for any mistakes I may have made in this post.

First and foremost, I cannot tell you guys how thankful I am to have this forum and this thread! I have been addicted to 10mg Oxycodone for about the last 3-4 years, I began taking them recreationaly and then that turned into, what I told myself was a manageable addiction. Up until a few days ago, I would chew and eat about 5-6 10mg oxycodone/day, sometimes more if I had them. Almost 72 hrs ago, I decided that I needed to change my life and stopped, cold turkey. I could no longer manage it and I had to stop before it got worse and I lost everything. I took my last 10mg oxycodone 1/5/16 at 8pm. The next day I was having mild W/D's, got thru the day of work. I came home, came across this thread and read thru hours of posts and decided I needed to give this a try. I got a 72ct bottle of lope, and I took 20mg at about 6pm 1/6/16 and hoped for the best. About an hr later, I could not believe the results! Like most of the posts I read, I too was receiving the same amount of relief from W/D's! That night, I tossed and turned but was able to get some decent sleep. The next morning, 1/7/16, I felt okay, still feeling the W/D's but they were a lot better than expected. At around 10am, I took another 12mg of lope and I experienced the same relief for pretty much most of the day. That evening, I was even able to go to the store with the girlfriend and get fruits/veggies for smoothies, I honestly could not believe it. Later that night, around 9pm, I took another 8mg of lope, took a few Tylenol PM's, and was able to again get some decent sleep. That brings me to today, it is almost 12:30pm, and I still have not re-dosed with the lope, and I still feel some slight W/D's, but it is manageable. Just super lethargic. I am going to go as long as I can today before I feel like I need to re-dose with the lope, and I am only planning on taking 8mg, to see how that goes. Is this a proper taper? I've read the stories about Lope w/d or addiction and that is the LAST thing I am using it for, so I just want get an opinion on my taper process.

Lope, Tylenol PM's, and cannabis is all I have used thus far, I cannot believe the results! I know I am not out of the woods, and I am not trying to get my hopes up too much, but lope has made this normally painful process, so much more manageable. I have the rest of the weekend off, so I am hoping that I can taper down the lope to 2mg or 0mg by Monday. Is this wishful thinking? For the last 3 days, I've only been eating and drinking lots of water (Lope gives horrible cotton mouth), soup, fruits/veggies, multivitamins.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Again, thank you all for sharing your experiences here, for if it wasn't for this, I would probably have 0 hope, no clue how to manage this and would most likely end up back where I started! I only hope to keep on this path, and you all have given me hope! Thank you all!

Blessings

Well done on making a good lifestyle choice, & welcome to BL!

You sound as though you're managing very well,- I couldn't ever stomach anything other than water when I'd regularly wd.

I wouldn't worry about developing a lope addiction, some posters take ridiculous amounts & continue to for extremely long periods as you've probably read here.

If the lope is helping you I wouldn't rush the taper, more chance of a relapse. Just manage the best you can on whatever amount even if it's a cpl of weeks.

Good luck!

Rtp

Thank you RTP!! Glad to see someone responded!! Reading thru BL alone has helped me tremendously. Finding this thread, a life saver!!

So far, Ive only taken 8mg of lope, about 4hrs ago, and while I still feel some WD symptoms, they are very managble right now. I was even able to go get a massage, I couldn't believe it!!

Tomorrow will be going day 4, and I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but I will just continue to taper down. My goal is to be damn near done with the lope by Monday, which would be day 6 since quitting cold turkey. But as you said, I won't rush it.

I know the amount of oxy I wa taking and the length is far less than most on BL, and I am very fortunate for that. It's time for a change, tired of being broke and struggling for no reason other than I was hooked on pills.

Without the help of lope, I don't know if I'd be able to manage. Thank you all!!

Figured i would post another update while I'm here.

I am on day 4, and so far I have still not taken any lope since the 8mg dose I took last night. I didn't get great sleep but I did sleep.

Today I have been a little achy, no real cravings, and I'm still getting the chills here and there but nothing unmanageable.

At some point this evening, I will try just 4mg of lope and see if I can get thru day 5 on just that.

IVe been able to eat, work out, and just take it day by day. I have been smoking a lot of Cannabis (live in Colorado) so that definitely helps ease the mind and body.

Thank you BLers and I hope my experience can help someone one day as well

New here but been lurkin for info for a couple years now lope helped me during wds from smoking h (anywhere from 1.5 to 3 g's a day) I read a post from awhile back that meningitis does something to your BBB and lope can cross more easily any truth to that I had it as a kid? A couple weeks ago I wanted to get high couldn't find nothing so said fuck it and ate 100 I was truly f ed up and I'm positive it wasn't placebo I was scratchin noddin pin drop eyes whole nine yards. Now I'm back to fucking opies again anywhere from 90 to 180 mg of oxy or 16-32 mgs of dil what's a good lope regimen to detox with? I'm just glad I don't have a tolerance like before smh but its still up there just did 32 mgs if dil and nothing not even itchy just not in wds I'm done with this shit

so said fuck it and ate 100

Never eat 100 lopermide or any people, Google megacolon.

Lope isn't for recreation, if you are in dire straights, you still should never use lope for recreation. ONLY opiate-withdrawal-syndrome

Day 6 Update:

I have not taken another dose of the Lope since the last 2mg dose I took 2 nights ago. I am feeling a lot better and definitely feel that the worst is over!

Today is my first day back at work, which I was a little nervous about but so far, I am doing well!! I took a 10mg Librium to help a little with anxiety but other than that I am clean.

It feels amazing and I never thought I could do it but thanks to this forum and wonderful thread, I was able to change my life!

To anyone reading this, Lope did wonders for me! I only used it when absolutely necessary when W/D's became unmanageable, and continued to taper everyday. I wanted my life back and if you want yours back too, then Lope can definitely get you thru the worst!