• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Taking Klonopin for methadone withdrawal. Will switching benzos prevent dependence?

Ripamaru

Bluelighter
They started me on Librium 10mg for the first 6 days. Then I got about a weeks worth of Klonopin from my doctor. They both have helped a lot and this is a long withdrawal. Coming off of 130mg per day for 5 years with no taper.

When do I have to quit the benzos to avoid dependence and another w/d? Does changing benzos help prevent dependence? Also would some short acting opiates help when it gets really bad so long as I take them sparingly or will it just prolong w/d from methadone, same for Tramedol?

Thanks in advance.

Is this ur first time on kpins? If so a week shouldn't cause dependence especially when used during w/d. I find this is true because taking benzos when ur in w/d is much different than taking them during " normal" times. During w/d u r so anxious usually that benzos will likely just level u out while taking them to cope with everydy life will make ur brain crave benzos during any stressful situation even if not physically dependent.. IMO anyway

Switching benzos won't prevent dependence from forming.

I dont like benzos under normal circumstances at all. I took 10mg Librium 3x day from the 18th-24th. Then I got Klonopin 1mg 2-3x for 7-10 days. I will be through two weeks when I run out of meds.

Seeing that all benzos act the same apparently, how long should I go at these kinds of doses while avoiding dependence, since I had taken maybe benzos maybe 10x my whole life, 18 years of polysub use.

Also a week into trying to kick this I go to my doctor and talk about the w/d and low t, etc........Doc says what are you doing about your Hepatitis C..........I about had a fucking heart attack, like what the $%^& are you talking about. I never IV used, ever. I wasn't even aware there was much chance without that......I Have have to see what genotype it is and how much is in my liver.

Unfortunately there's no number or x amount of days u can take benzos without building dependence... different for everyone. Do u feel u are over the worst of ur w/d? I've never come off methadone but I understand its quiet a drawn out process. I would start a taper of the kpins if u ..maybe down a quarter of a pill every few days?? Start now and ull be good to go.

And try too start ur taper at 2 pills per day as u probably haven't built a dependence but its never smart to stop benzos abruptly.

Unfortunately there's no number or x amount of days u can take benzos without building dependence... different for everyone. Do u feel u are over the worst of ur w/d? I've never come off methadone but I understand its quiet a drawn out process. I would start a taper of the kpins if u ..maybe down a quarter of a pill every few days?? Start now and ull be good to go.

And try too start ur taper at 2 pills per day as u probably haven't built a dependence but its never smart to stop benzos abruptly.

I am getting close to half way to getting better. It took me 5 weeks the first time, but I doubled the daily dose and added 4 more years so there is no telling how long.

Last time I had no benzos and it was pure hell. I hope that If I stay to 2mg/day for less than 4 weeks I may be getting better. Otherwise I will have to sweat out the end. I have pot at least.

No switching benzos does not prevent dependence.. just like opiates.. you get addicted to the class of drugs as a whole, and how they affect your brain. So when you get dependent on xanax,klonopin, whatever, you're dependent on benzos, not just the specific drug you took. So taking any benzo is the same as taking another in that respect.

You really don't want to be taking any benzo for more than a couple weeks if you don't wanna risk physical addiction.

I got ahold of Buspirone, which is supposed to help in a similar way without the dependance. I will run out of benzos after just over 2 weeks and I hope the combo of the Buspirone/weed/tramedol will help enough. I am considering Kratom but I need to find out where to get it. A lot of stuff is banned in Arkansas like spice, etc.

I also took librium for an alcohol detox before. It worked for alcohol.

How are you feeling?

The "rules" say to not take benzos for more than 2 weeks straight to avoid dependence. I don't get anything remotely recreational out of benzos so I don't imagine becoming addicted. But that's me and of course YMMV. I never thought I'd get addicted to methadone but here I am.

And the Hep-C? It sounds like you didn't know. My father had it and is basically back to normal so hopefully you'll have the same success.

I got ahold of Buspirone, which is supposed to help in a similar way without the dependance. I will run out of benzos after just over 2 weeks and I hope the combo of the Buspirone/weed/tramedol will help enough. I am considering Kratom but I need to find out where to get it. A lot of stuff is banned in Arkansas like spice, etc.

I think ull be fine dependence wise on the benzo...I'd still taper tho to be safe and avoid a sudden increase in anxiety which will then cause u to crave benzos....if u want to avoid a dependence start ur taper and ull be fine. Good luck!!! And fyi I wouldn't buy kratom locally order it online %)

^^^

Yeah the Kratom, or what they claim to be Kratom, and your local headshop.. it likely garbage. If you want quality stuff, get it online from a reputable vendor.

^^^

Yeah the Kratom, or what they claim to be Kratom, and your local headshop.. it likely garbage. If you want quality stuff, get it online from a reputable vendor.
True. I bought only seven grams luckily from my local head shop... garbage. Don't waste ur money honey.

For the love of God, stay off benzos. I was prescribed klono in 1997 and have tried numerous times to quit. I have been able to reduce to 1mg every few days and also switched to Valium. (Klono stays in your system longer than any other benzo). I take Valium to avoid w/d. I don't get high from it. It's as though benzos have cemented themselves to every fiber of my being. My current doctor told me he'd have never, ever prescribed benzos to me. They are the absolute worst to w/d from; they are the last stop on the addiction train. There's nothing to give you to ease the w/d symptoms of benzos. I have tried four times to quit and each time ended up in the psych ward with the D.T.'s, hallucinations, psychosis, paranoia, suicide/homicide thoughts/attempts.

For me, the worst part of benzo w/d is the feeling of free falling out of the sky and The Big Dread. The latter is a fear so intense and so horrifying and so crippling. A fear of what? Anything: a piano falling on my head, rats under the bed, the cops are at the door, "who keeps flickering the lights!", "Stop changing the station on the radio!" (the radio that only I can hear) "I'm going to die. I know it, right now I'm going to die and I know you are all conspiring with the government to kill me." I can't breathe cause you're all stealing the air from me; what did you say? What! What! Someone turn that damn radio off!; I can't hear you when you all talk at once; why are my legs so cramped; I keep having muscle spasms that jolt me out of the chair; I can't breathe; Somebody kill me and put me out of my misery.

Effing crazy, ain't it. Normally, I'm not that type of person. I've w/d from other substances and it was never as bad as with benzos. Funny part of my story is I was prescribed Klono by a doctor on Park Ave.

^^^^^ wow!!! I thought my benzo w/d was bad... I don't know much about severe cases granted but I think that is the worst I've heard.: (

Would around a week of short acting opiates. Just 5-10mg hydro 5mg oxy, help me get over the worst of the methadone. I wish I had subs but I have no source so I am hoping the others help with the misery without becoming dependent. I have to stop the benzo now for the same reason, I need something just as effective to move to b/c the W/D is not getting better without having to kick anything else.

If you take oxys you will reset your withdrawal right back to the beginning yes they will make you feel better but its still an opiate. Its the same with benzos, a benzo is a benzo and an opiate is an opiate switching around your opiates from methadone to oxy will just mean you get addicted to the oxy. Its the same as when you switched to methadone from oxy/heroin back when you first got on mmt. I don't recommend taking opiates unless you want to go right back to the beginning. The only thing is the oxy withdrawals may not last as long as the methadone but will be more intence. But like I said an opiate is an opiate and a benzo is a benzo switching between types of both won't prevent dependency.

I am not talking about a long period here. I know how long it takes me to become opiate dependent. Methadone is a whole other thing, so long as I take short acting opiates for a week should not extend the methadone w/d nor should it be enough to make me dependent on the shorts.

This is why I have spent the first nearly 3 weeks with no opiates at all. But I am still in the peak of WD or damn close to it. I have to get the benzos gone so I dont have that problem (kicking them, I would never take them other than for w/d) but I am not about to just take the rest of it straight up and one can only stay stoned so many times a day, I need something that will keep me sane and focused until this is pretty well gone.

So any other advice on what will make this shit feeling back off and not cause WD within 2 weeks or so?

^^^^ have u tried kratom? Its legal and using that for a while and then tapering would be a better option IMO than pain medication