• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug user for a Discovery Documentary

sarahlambert

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

My name is Sarah Lambert, I am a documentary producer based in London, England. I work for a company called Blast Films, and we specialize in making documentaries and factually-based films. Our documentaries feature many people and places, but all share a common thread - high-quality and responsible story-telling.

Discovery has asked us to make a documentary about a drug user who has previously hidden their habit from friends and family, but wants to take steps towards revealing this to their loved ones. I am looking to speak to people of all ages from all backgrounds who have withheld their drug use from those closest to them - perhaps your parents think you are at college but you've dropped out and party all the time instead, or maybe you take coke to keep up with your hectic job, but the lifestyle is taking it's toll. This person needs to be based in the US, to be willing to openly discuss their drug use on camera, and want to tell their families about the drug use they previously kept hidden from them.

I would love to hear from any of you who would be interested in sharing your experiences with me. I am contactable by message on this site, or at SLambert[at]blastfilms[dot]co[uk]. For a little more information about me, please feel free to check out my LinkedIn page, or message me and I will be happy to answer any questions about myself of the show.

Thanks for reading this far :)

Sarah

Last edited:
Good luck, I hope you treat this sensitive subject and the subject themselves with the respect it and they deserve.

Just had an email conversation with this girl. She wants US based participants who hide their drug use from their families who are willing to be identified.

Just had an email conversation with this girl. She wants US based participants who hide their drug use from their families who are willing to be identified.

Basically she want's a heart-throbbing story of someone in the closet about their drug use to finally surface during her documentary pulling on everyone's heart strings and creating fantastic entertainment for the masses.

Our documentaries feature many people and places, but all share a common thread - high-quality and responsible story-telling.

If this were really true, then surely you wouldn't have the whole thing scripted out already? Perhaps tell a story which you don't know the outcome of? A real story not steered toward entertainment.

very interested i am involved or was involved down in florida in the capital of the country very interested to share my story and where I've come to be now in life.

contact me immediately i think i might just have the perfect story for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to speak to people of all ages from all backgrounds who have withheld their drug use from those closest to them - perhaps your parents think you are at college but you've dropped out and party all the time instead, or maybe you take coke to keep up with your hectic job, but the lifestyle is taking it's toll.

So she's looking for people where drug use has had a negative impact.

Is this angle really necessary for the "high quality and responsible story-telling"? How about one where drug use has had a positive impact on someone's life, eg where responsible use of psychedelics or MDMA have allowed them to change their lives, overcome past trauma or end a period of depression but due to cultural attitudes, legal fears and prejudice they've felt the need to keep this hidden from their family.

That'd be just as good a story.

Basically she want's a heart-throbbing story of someone in the closet about their drug use to finally surface during her documentary pulling on everyone's heart strings and creating fantastic entertainment for the masses.

If this were really true, then surely you wouldn't have the whole thing scripted out already? Perhaps tell a story which you don't know the outcome of? A real story not steered toward entertainment.

Blacksploitation, rednexploitation, addictsploitation -- all these things rely on stereotypes. Having never prostituted myself or burglarized to feed my appetites, I doubt my story would sell many documentaries. It's rather asterotypical, but certainly not unusual.

Plus, I have this nagging obsession about keeping my habits private. I imagine you'll find that same obsession among most addicts, and much less of it among people who simply had a bad experience here and there when they took too much ____ and got behind the wheel. So I'm guessing we'll be left with the stories of a bunch of greenhorns' bad experiences, which further propagate the stereotypes that addicts at best cannot fit in with society and. at worst, are a deadly threat to order. Negative stereotypes are not exactly the best thing to have floating around in people's heads if you or your group wants to enjoy the same civil rights that other individuals and groups enjoy. Addicts are by far the most discriminated against group in society.

But who knows? Maybe this documentary will break new ground that hasn't been broken by the other thousands of exploitation documentaries on the same topic. I'll have to pass on participating.

Hello Sarah

my name is Natalie Jorayz all my life was pills and to this day my Dr, calls's me a druggie when I was 4.5 years of age I was taken to a Catholic boarding school and the abuse started at the age of 6 I started smoking at the age of 9 it was booze at the age of 12 was my first A.A meeting and selling drugs at the age of 11 just to support my habit's of all kinds of drugs that I have used and the men in my life at such a young age well just talk and thing about this make's me sad and well I just have to say good luck and may your job not haunt you as to what you are walking into .

Hello Sarah

my name is Natalie Jorayz all my life was pills and to this day my Dr, calls's me a druggie when I was 4.5 years of age I was taken to a Catholic boarding school and the abuse starte
d at the age of 6 I started smoking at the age of 9 it was booze at the age of 12 was my first A.A meeting and selling drugs at the age of 11 just to support my hab
it's of all kinds of drugs that I have used and the men in my life at such a young age well just talk and thing about this make's me sad and well I just have to say

good luck and may your job not haunt you as to what you are walking into .

Last edited by a moderator:
I really have a problem with the portrayal of drugs in society in general. does anyone here think this woman is any different? I think society has a problem with letting people have control of their own bodies. If you want to improve yourself with books you get a slap on the back but if you want to use chemicals to improve yourself your a junkie bum who gets an cement cage. What I want to know is how people can justify their judgement. Sorry went on a rant there.

Stoney I don't think she's coming back, you have to email her. Also you really dont want to put your email and phone number here to stay forever. You should delete that.

I would like to suggest to the author of this documentary to let Sinclair direct and control the entire production.

it's not even chemicals, it's just the overly dramatized chemicals that actually work effectively. then banned and demonized because a few too many people took 100x the reasonable dose and then made the news as, "the new/widespread junkie epidemic".

so then they have to make drugs that do worse than nothing like antidepressants. which take 4 goddamn weeks to kick in and will potentially worsen symptoms slowly and covertly over the course of that time.

p.s. you started this Sinclair

I have the feeling that this was never produced. I am sincerely disappointed that OP was only interested in dramatizing drug use for the public in the most shallow way. Man, history and discovery have fallen so fuckin far.