• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Today in History

Tude

Bluelight Crew
I thought we could have a thread where we posted things that happened today in history and perhaps we could have some discussion. Don't let me run the show, guys! If y'all find something cool to share, let us have it! =D

Today in history (2003): The U.S. war against Iraq began (Operation Iraqi Freedom). How do y'all think this has/will impact history?

Last edited:
Today in history (1852): Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin was published. How much of an impact do you think the publication of this book had on the abolition of slavery in the U.S.?

Today in history (1963): Alcatraz prison closed down. Do you believe three prisoners were able to escape and survive as per the urban legend?

Today in history (1972): Congress passed the Equal Rights amendment (women's rights) and sent it to congress to be ratified (it did not pass).

All these years later, do you think women are in equal standing?

sorry to crash the party...today in history..

In the year 1933, during Prohibition, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a measure to make wine and beer containing up to 3.2 percent alcohol legal.

oh and the population doubled overnight...

Last edited:
You're not crashing the party at all! This thread is for everyone to discuss stuff that's happened throughout history and to add their own events.

Lol @ 3.2% alcohol. What is that, a wine cooler? :D

Today in history (2010): President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law. What impact do you think this'll have on your own healthcare?

Last edited:
Today in history (1882): Robert Koch discovered tuberculosis.

What do you think about vaccinations?

Today in history (1882): Robert Koch discovered tuberculosis.

What do you think about vaccinations?

Today in history (2010): President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law. What impact do you think this'll have on your own healthcare?

I would qualify for free healthcare if I had moved to this state 6 months earlier. But I won't be eligible before the mandate, and can't afford insurance so I'll be receiving a fine.

Rabble rabble single-payer rabble greedy politicians. Will save it for CEP :p

That's a real bummer about your healthcare. I was reading the other day that the fine will be ten percent of a person's income. What happens if someone can't afford the fine? I do support the idea of healthcare for everyone.

Today in history (1894): Jacob Coxley led hundreds of unemployed men on a march from Ohio to Washington, D.C. They were demanding a jobs program following the Panic of 1893.

Do you think job programs are what the U.S. currently needs in order to continue turning the economy around?

I think creating millions of engineers and specialized workers then employing them directly would have a substantial effect on the domestic economy. The problem being, this is extremely difficult to do using the private sector as a conduit.

March 26.
1881: Thessaly rejoins Greece.
1913: Bulgarians capture Adrianople (modern Edirne) in the Second Balkan War.
1971: Bangladesh declares independence from Pakistan.
1979: Signing of the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. Bumps in the road aside, has this still been the best international agreement in the Levant since the October War?

Bardeaux, would the specialized workers just be construction workers, or are you talking about a bigger picture?

Bellisarius, thanks for posting all those events! Did a better job than me. :D

To answer your question, I think the treaty has done a pretty good job of keeping the peace between Egypt and Israel. My history knowledge, unfortunately, is pretty spotty (I had to google The October War), so I'm unsure of how the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty compares to more recent treaties. However, the Middle East is a very turbulent place, so I'll assume (you know what they say about assuming) the Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty is the best. I love learning new things, so I'm glad to be surrounded by people who are so knowledgeable!

Nice thread Tude! I love HIstory!

Today in History:

590 – Emperor Maurice proclaims his son Theodosius as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
1351-Combat of the Thirty : Thirty Breton Knights call out and defeat thirty English Knights.
1484 – William Caxton prints his translation of Aesop's Fables.
1169 – Saladin becomes the emir of Egypt. What do you think Saladin's greatest achievement as one of Egypt's rulers?

Bardeaux, would the specialized workers just be construction workers, or are you talking about a bigger picture?

Bigger picture, revolutionary projects even. Interstate high-speed rail infrastructure sort of tasks. This example alone would employ hundreds of thousands or millions of engineers, construction workers, steel workers, urban developers, service workers etc.

Also, great thread Tude. I love this sort of daily reminder of both famous and obscure history.

Nice thread Tude! I love HIstory!

Today in History:

590 – Emperor Maurice proclaims his son Theodosius as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
1351-Combat of the Thirty : Thirty Breton Knights call out and defeat thirty English Knights.
1484 – William Caxton prints his translation of Aesop's Fables.
1169 – Saladin becomes the emir of Egypt. What do you think Saladin's greatest achievement as one of Egypt's rulers?

Re Saladin: In my op, Saladin will always be remembered for what he did to the Crusaders and their kingdoms as opposed to what he (or his Ayyubid descendants) did. With that in mind, his greatest influence--in the West--was as an illustration of Islamic chivalry, as Richard II greatly admired him, and through him and his contemporaries numerous Westerners as well.

Thanks, Bardeaux and Maya! :D

Also, thanks Maya for today's events!

Bellisarius, good answer. I read a story about Saladin's chivalry involving a woman's baby who had been sold. He used his own money to buy the baby back to its mother. I can see why the Crusaders would respect him.

I think Saladin's greatest accomplishment was acquiring as big of an empire as he did.

Thanks, Bardeaux and Maya! :D

Also, thanks Maya for today's events!

Bellisarius, good answer. I read a story about Saladin's chivalry involving a woman's baby who had been sold. He used his own money to buy the baby back to its mother. I can see why the Crusaders would respect him.

I think Saladin's greatest accomplishment was acquiring as big of an empire as he did.

Love your answers guys! Now your guys turn? ;)

Today in history (2000): The Supreme Court ruled that it's illegal to stop and frisk someone based solely on an anonymous tip.

Do you agree with their ruling?

I think the cops make it up as they go along anyway.

The Spanish Civil War ended.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee"

NSFW:
bell.jpg

Last edited: