• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How Can We Improve Other Drugs? v. Calling All OD Miscreants

I kind of like the idea of a separate detox forum. It probably wouldn't have too much traffic and maybe I'm just not sympathetic to people about to go through it but personally I like reading about drugs, not kicking drugs. I am 9 months clean and reading about withdrawal and detox makes me shutter and usually when there's a thread about it I can't help but go and read what they're coming off of and what doses.

Maybe an interaction and side effect forum? It'll make threads more precise and not off on 15 different tangents.

And maybe a drug myth sticky? I see a lot of ignorant posts just parading bullshit information, even though it's usually completely disregarded I feel like if people were informed they wouldn't be doing that, I see the majority of people that do it just post their version of what they think is going on and just leave the thread because their answer is obviously final and ultimate and when something true and useful is said they're not around anymore

Last edited:
First of all, I have to say: I love BL, it's my favorite forum. I went onto another forum, I'm not naming names, but I went there to try to find out how not to be ripped off by internet pharmacies, and I told people my story and instead of being supportive they were SUSPICIOUS of me and started telling me that there were "holes in my story" and that I was a troll and not to be trusted and that I was an addict and needed professional help (I made no pretense of not being an addict, but I DID say that my purpose now was to be out of pain, and that was the POINT) and basically slamming me. I love that BL doesn't judge, people here don't put you down (unless you're really being an idiot and you deserve it) and it's a SAFE PLACE to be an addict who happens to be in chronic pain.

I vote not to remove the opiates to a separate section because I, too, am a poly-drug user (etizolam, soma, poppy, occasional opiate pills, some MJ, a sip of wine here and there, and some other things I can't think of right now. Oh, right, sometimes ritalin just to stay awake.) I get a lot of questions answered by having all these threads HERE IN ONE PLACE. And I learn a lot by reading everything and I read even threads that have nothing to do with me, like threads on IVing (which I never have done and never intend to do) just out of pure intellectual curiousity. I love OD, it's my "home" on BL. Please just keep it the way it is now, it's great. And I HATE the "likes" idea or reputation points etc. If I like something, I'll just SAY SO in a new comment on that thread! Thanks for listening and GOOD JOB MODS!

I would say a stims prefix is definitely needed, my thread was tagged as amphetamines when I was discussing methylphenidate.

maybe just accept this forum is doomed to rapid deorganization due to the amount of one-off posters who ask a question, respond to like the first 4-5 posts that usually answer the question right away, followed by a page or two of personal preferences and probably a bullshit BA% somewhere or seven.

or to put it differently

im not sure what exactly youd do to change things, it does work albeit in a controlled chaos type of way

^ That pretty much sums up how OD has always been in a perfect, concise manner.

I kind of like the idea of a separate detox forum. It probably wouldn't have too much traffic and maybe I'm just not sympathetic to people about to go through it but personally I like reading about drugs, not kicking drugs. I am 9 months clean and reading about withdrawal and detox makes me shutter and usually when there's a thread about it I can't help but go and read what they're coming off of and what doses.

I REALLY like this idea, and it would certainly jive with our mission of harm reduction. It would also dovetail nicely with what's going in the Recovery forum -- a bridge, you might say, to the other side.

For the record, people are often most desperate and most likely to turn online for help when they are in the throws of withdrawal. It's a place where many ODers have a great deal of expertise. Currently, I understand that Opiophile has closed its doors to new members and there are lots of people out there looking for this information in one place.

I actually think it would be a massively successful forum with big traffic numbers in a very short period of time. For example, if many people knew how to effectively use drugs like Loperamide and benzos to wait out WD, they might perhaps think twice before making the jump to heroin. I'd love to see idea discussed more. If you decide to more forward with a Withdrawal forum, you would have my full support.

SG

Why not make a sticky about people's individual success stories getting off of drugs? It might give people some helpful ideas. Not sure where it should go, though.

^I'm pretty sure we have at least one thread (not a sticky though!, that's what the Personal Accounts of Addiction is IMO) that discusses successful attempts to reach sobriety, I DEFINITELY have seen a few of these threads dedicated to this subject over the years but we have a lot of stickies and I think that the fact that these threads are so hard to find should also send a message, if we stickied success stories here, not only would we have too many stickies and redundancy, IMO naive people would take it as further proof that they too can beat a future addiction to hardcore narcotics, and I don't want anyone to feel reassured that "the one percent" represents the rest of the ninety nine percent of us who suffer from addiction. I'm sure many of us especially poly drug abusers, have beat certain addictions, but are you completely sober today? Were you able to turn your life around and reach the potential you never even know you had or could have had?

I dunno, I think that it's good to know it CAN be done to inspire those of us who desperately wish ourselves to be free of this misery, but although a much much different environment, I feel that the Recovery Forums were meant to be the place to go primarily for this type of help. If people need examples on why they shouldn't be abusing drugs, OD has more proof than they could ever get through even if all a person did was sit here and read every single post in OD since it's creation.

The detox-- yes!!
and... Make an opiates thread :)

All due respect, but take a look at every single thread on the first few pages of OD, and then come back and explain how making an opiates thread in any way would help people find the answer to their questions more efficiently and safely.
Bear in mind that we have dedicated threads for every single kind of opiate, even the different formulations, for example OxyContin megathread, Roxicodone Megathread / Oxycodone IR Megathread, it is already so repetitive and no one bothers to use them anyways, so yeah, how would bringing dozens of clusterfucks together into a reduntant megaclusterfuck is beneficial to HR?

Today I am completely sober except for medication, which doesn't get me high. I doubt I'd fail any sobriety test, maybe due to fatigue. I've beaten many addictions, and am currently beating another.

I can understand why you might think it would have people thinking they could easily beat a drug addiction. But if people include the whole story, including the end of the throes of addiction, it would probably mitigate that with the intense despair that comes with addiction. You could put something in the title or first post stating how hard addiction is to break, maybe. It would just provide a cache of ideas to people. Addicts often have to deal with the problem entirely by themselves. I think they need some sort of informal information on the matter. Maybe the recovery forum is best, though, as you said. Thanks for the response.

Maybe they aren't used frequently enough these days to require one, but I think a barbiturate prefix could be useful. Yes they work similarly to benzodiazepines, but I've noticed, even just being on them a few weeks, that barbiturate dependency/detox is far worse than benzodiazepines. I can't get through a full half-life without dosing butalbarbital without starting to d/t and this is less than a month into taking them. Is it as horrific as a 2 year 8+mg xanax dependence, no, but I imagine it will get to that point.

^ I don't think the usage is common enough to warrant it's own prefix. Changing benzo to 'sedative' to encapsulate barbiturates and other types would make more sense. You have to strike a balance between too many and too few prefixes. Too few makes them worthlessly inaccurate and too many makes them unwieldy. I don't know how difficult it would by to implement sub-prefixes but I think that may be a good solution. For example (Stimulants - Amps), (Stimulants- Coke), (Sedatives- benzodiazepines), (Sedatives- barbiturates)

Some proposed thoughts (far from comprehensive)-

Sedatives
-Benzos
-alcohol
-barbiturates
-GHB
-RC

Stimulant
-amps
-coke
-RC

Opioids
-heroin
-pharms
-kratom
-poppies
-RC

Rather than having RC categories for the above, perhaps an RC category could have sub-types such as -

RC
-stimulant
-sedative
-dissociate (if any of that content will be covered in OD and not just PD)

All the prefixes could have an other/misc for Zolpidem/ambien for example under the sedative prefix.
Just a thought.

There was a huge debate that split OD a couple years back regarding splitting off an opioid forum. That was eventually voted down by members and staff because given that opioid users make up the largest part of OD, having it's own forum may draw them away and they'll take their boredom and expertise elsewhere so they won't answer threads on other subjects and the quality and comprehensiveness of information would suffer. The prefixes allow them to see which subjects they want to read and can even be set so that it oinly displays a certain prefix so if someone wanted, they could basically turn OD into an opioid forum.

There was a huge debate that split OD a couple years back regarding splitting off an opioid forum. That was eventually voted down by members and staff because given that opioid users make up the largest part of OD, having it's own forum may draw them away and they'll take their boredom and expertise elsewhere so they won't answer threads on other subjects and the quality and comprehensiveness of information would suffer. The prefixes allow them to see which subjects they want to read and can even be set so that it oinly displays a certain prefix so if someone wanted, they could basically turn OD into an opioid forum.

Thank you for this explanation. This is the first time I've seen a reason that makes sense. I still don't agree with it, but I'm glad to finally understand why the decision was made at the time.

The only problem is that it's impossible for us to filter the view enough to turn OD into a non-opiod forum. I'd like to read about benzos, stims, RCs, everything except opiods really.

^ you easily can.

Go to 'advanced search' towards the upper right corner. There are 2 tabs (single and multiple content types, click single) Under 'advanced options'', select OD. Go to the next menu, prefixes, click on the first prefix you want, hold cointrol and click on the rest of the prefixes you want and don't click the ones you don't. Hit search I just tried it and it works like a charm.

Will try. Sounds like a lot of work every time I come here. Wonder if you can save a search. Thanks.

^Learn to Copy/Paste

Could we possibly make a medically driven sub-forum for all sorts of medical problems? Have it to where you could ask about a medication not meant to fuck you up and get responses, chronic pain that isn't about getting high (I know we have our thread.....), GI problems, Edocrinological problems, Cardiac/Circulatory Problems, Insomnia, Urinary, Neurological, Reproductive, Integumentary, Skeletal, Muscular.

And possibly a dual-diagnosis forum in the psych section.

^ sounds problematic....in the sense that enough people make amateur web-based diagnoses of themselves and one another already nowadays.
I mean...in any serious case, the best - and possibly only medical advice Bluelighters should be giving out over a forum is "seek medical attention".
Like legal advice - but probably moreso - giving out anything more than the simplest medical advice through a drug HR forum goes against much of bluelight's raison d'etre (at least as I see it).