• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How Can We Improve Other Drugs? v. Calling All OD Miscreants

Why shut down the paracetamol thread in OD? I was hoping that guy updated us. It was pretty serious. Closing it was not HR.

^He took a dangerous amount that required immediate medical attention. Closing the thread and directing him to go seek immediate treatment was the most "HR" thing we could have done.

Why shut down the paracetamol thread in OD? I was hoping that guy updated us. It was pretty serious. Closing it was not HR.

^He took a dangerous amount that required immediate medical attention. Closing the thread and directing him to go seek immediate treatment was the most "HR" thing we could have done.
Exactly, as clearly stated in the guidelines, we are not healthcare professionals and if any thread we sense is headed to a point where emergency services are needed, it is indeed the most HR thing to do to immediately close the thread with hopes they seek immediate medical attention, you would be surprised how many people/threads/incident's occur where someone posts thinking they are overdosing for example, and the longer they are wasting time on the internet looking for reassurance could be time wasted.

Leaving threads like these open would be reckless because we do not have the resources to tell a person whether they are in mortal danger or not and be able to direct emergency services to their house, Bluelight is not an emergency service. NOT closing these threads, is not looking out for the best interests of anyone, the moderators use a better safe than sorry simple logic here to decide to close threads like the ones in question, it's not something that is done without thought, but this policy is not likely to change.

Besides, given the time I have to watch a thread progress and someone reached/reaches/is reaching a point of no return so to speak, or if I have any doubt whatsoever, I close the thread, telling the OP to let us know how things go, and prioritize hoping the OP takes my advice out of fear of casualty over the way the OP lets us know that things turned out okay. Or we don't ever hear back from them, and never really know what happened to them.

Anyways, if you think that a thread's unfairly closed or that you doubt their need for medical attention, that's a situation where it's easiest to simply PM the moderator who closed the thread. And if anyone ever sees a thread where the OP needs emergency services, they should immediately report the thread using the report post function so that a member of staff can close the thread.

How about specific threads/megathreads, you guys want to see?

What are your thoughts on improving/adding to OD in regards to content?

What about spinning the opiate related threads into their own section like the cannabis and MDMA sections. It seems OD is going from "Other Drugs" to "Opiate Discussion" this would allow the major opiate issues to stay closer to the top of the page and keep the other drug threads from getting buried. With the huge increase of use of opiate drugs and the vast amount of harm they can do both from OD and needle use I feel it is important to have info on these topics as well as good ways to detox and get over WDs as available as possible. This section would be an easy to find one stop shop for these topics.

Beside that while I am a new poster I have lurked BL since the early 2000's and have modded other boards on the internet. I must say the mods here, especially MR Scag do a very good job with this section.

Although both SWIM and my friend's cousin's goldfish thinks he is an asshole and should jump off a bridge.

PS - do a flip

^^

Haha. Thanks man.

Yeah we have mulled the idea of an opiate forum around for a while. We'll keep thinking about that. It would definitely get a good amount of traffic.

I agree on the opiate forum. That discussion is what finally prompted me to make a BL account, but I always wondered why opioids didn't get their own focus forum.

^^

Humm.. Interesting.

Anybody else interested in an opiate specific sub forum? Can we get some pros and cons?

I know, weird right? I'd lurked now and again for years, but had somehow just been kinda hesitant to make an account until I moved to a new place and had no one to discuss opiates with (or anything else for that matter).

As far as pros and cons... Pros, it puts all the information that people are looking for all the time in one easy-to-find location--should I try H, IV mega, H mega, oxy mega, w/d mega, etc... It'll also make it easier to answer those questions that people re-post as new threads. And easier to moderate the "I'm new, where's H?" threads.

The big con I see is that there wouldn't be a lot of depth to the discussion. There's plenty of surface issues, which justifies the forum alone IMO, but many of the social/health/usage aspects are probably better covered in NASA, DC, EADD, etc... What I mean is that the PD and MDMA have a lot of peripheral topics that the opiate discussion wouldn't, for good or bad.

Yeah I agree.

I don't know, opiate talk in OD has always gone hand in hand. I'd feel like it was just missing something without it, ya know? Hah. It'd be depressing. :(

And, yes we get a good amount of opiate topics in OD, but I don't think it overshadows anything. Like, look at the homepage right now for example. There's a good balance of topics. We have opiate threads, IV threads, RC threads, Benzo threads, etc. It would be different if it were just 50 opiate threads and only a handful of other ones, but I feel like we have a pretty diverse topic base.

I think it's fine the way it is...I think it would encourage even more redundant threads than we already have to deal with. 90% of the opiate questions we get here could be answered via a search, because most of the issues with opiates are fairly straight-forward. We take the time to answer a lot of them individually, but if the amount tripled it would be very frustrating to deal with.

We take the time to answer a lot of them individually, but if the amount tripled it would be very frustrating to deal with.

Yeah I agree. I could easily see it ending up just pages and pages of the exact same questions, most of which have already been answered in megathreads.

I actually agree as well when you put it like that. Cutting out opiates would kinda kill OD (or force us to create focus forums for everything).

^^

Right. Then the tweakers would be like, well we want our own forum now! (which can you picture a stim only sub forum? It'd be all tweaked 10 page rambling posts about nothing, haha) And benzos, etc etc. We can't have a sub forum for everything.

^Everyone thinks their pill addiction is somehow "different" and warrants it's own thread, but it's mostly all the same thing. There's people who have serious issues that want reassurance from people who have been through the same thing, but starting a separate "opiate forum" would be like a neon-sign for every casual opiate user on the planet to start a thread. The OD directory already covers the bulk of any questions you could possibly have.

"Other Drugs" is pretty much a "hard drugs" forum, although we deal with other things as well...and most of the commonly abused drugs are pretty boring in a sense, because they are so straight forward. They produce a powerful "high", but aren't as interesting as psychedelics/etc. in their range of effects on the user.

Before I was a mod here, I could just ignore all the "boring" opiate threads and just deal with the ones I found interesting...but now, it's unbelievable to me how often the same questions get asked. Sometimes, there's 3 nearly identical threads started within a few days, and it's questions that could easily be answered with a search...but we understand that it makes people feel better to have their questions answered personally, so we leave a lot of them open.

When someone starts a thread without a real question or a new topic, it clutters the whole forum and buries the "good threads"...

Last edited:
^yeah, very true, the whole scheme is making sense to me now!

Right. Then the tweakers would be like, well we want our own forum now! (which can you picture a stim only sub forum? It'd be all tweaked 10 page rambling posts about nothing, haha) And benzos, etc etc. We can't have a sub forum for everything.

I can't stop laughing..

I like to think that calling it "Other Drugs" kind of filters out every single person on the planet from dropping a 10,000 word wall of text about their "drug regimen"!

And yeah Scagnattie, a meth forum would be the nightmare of nightmares to simply read, let alone moderate!

What is the general feeling here for thread necromancy? I've been on forums where they prefer to keep the same topics all in one thread even if it is a year old and others where if something is more than a month or two old to start up a new one. I can see your points on not starting an opiate forum. The only positive change I can see it bringing is stickying all the HR topics so a casual lurker will see those first instead of coming to OD to figure out how to get higher and leaving, they will at least be presented with relevent HR topics right away, which hopefully they will choose to read. I've noticed threads can get buried a page or two back very quickly here, such as the Loperamide thread which is both a good read for those using it to end WDs and a good HR thread to discourage people from using it to try to get high.

I like to think that calling it "Other Drugs" kind of filters out every single person on the planet from dropping a 10,000 word wall of text about their "drug regimen"!

And yeah Scagnattie, a meth forum would be the nightmare of nightmares to simply read, let alone moderate!

Haha. For real.