• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Good Documentaries v. is that a doc?

Fuck Sea World

Its a really interesting documentary as they are filming the handlers from the 80 / 90's and have old footage of them doing the show - talking to people about the whales etc and these people had no idea what they were talking about. Some had no previous animal training experience and it was more a case of how strong a swimmer / show person you were well worth watching but its depressing as hell.

^ I have it downloaded but not got round to watching it yet. What I've read seems to mirror what you've been saying - interesting but depressing.

It's a shame people are still going to these shows, taking their kids as well..

Respectfully disagree with BearLove. Those non-human persons knew exactly what they were doing. Examine them in the wild, their social groups, their child-rearing. The most horrible part of the movie was the mother Orca crying for her kidnapped child...that is the behaviour of a sentient being.

I do agree with BearLove that it is depressing. I have not mustered the emotional fortitude to watch it a second time yet.

Respectfully disagree with BearLove. Those non-human persons knew exactly what they were doing. Examine them in the wild, their social groups, their child-rearing. The most horrible part of the movie was the mother Orca crying for her kidnapped child...that is the behaviour of a sentient being.

In no way, shape or form or I saying what these people were doing was OK. I am not talking about the guys out catching the wales (were still doing it now) - I'm talking about the random people that were employed to look after such a creature (with no training).

Hi welcome to your job (that you have no knowledge about - which is the case here) - you did well with a Sea Lion, ok here is an Orca - train it, befriend it, ride it about the ring etc. My comment about they knew nothing about what they were talking about comes from the 'floppy fin' comment, and also the 'age' that orcas live too - in the wild = 90ish, in captivity =30 etc.

From the documentary the evidence of a sentient being was displayed much earlier (the getaway etc)

I certainly agree with all that! I just don't think swimming ability did not have anything to do with an Orca attacking anyone. It sounds like you are more knowledgeable than I. I thought Orcas were not being captured anymore. Is it still true that there are no documented incedents of Orca attacks on humans in the wild?

Is anyone trying to claim Orca's are not sentient beings? :?

hungry and horny??? NO! NO! "only fuck what you can eat" means HUMAN pussy, silly!

Getting High on HIV Medication

Hamilton tripping on AIDS drugs. How very odd. Like everybody I'd assumed it was a myth but apparently not. Only partially interesting cos they're hardly easy to get hold of and the comedown sounded pretty horrendous. Interesting bit - as he points out towards the end - is that it's a drug with "classical" psychedelic effects that's neither tryptamine nor phenethylamine. Presumably that implies the potential for cousins to be created which maintain (and ideally improve upon) existing psychedelic effect whilst minimising the unpleasant comedown/side-effects. Intriguing VICE doc. The stuff about the heroin scene in South Africa is interesting too (drug in question is used as an additive to heroin to boost the high in SA along with a veritable pharmacopoeia of random shite which may or may not have an effect (strychnine definitely will - they actually do put strychnine in drugs in SA 8o)).

Gasland - About fracking in the mideast/southeast US. Pretty disturbing, people being able to light their tapwater on fire, stuff like that.

Gun Fight - Presenting both sides of the gun debate in the US. Kinda scratches the surface of a complex issue.

Crossfire Hurricane - Great rockdoc about the Rolling Stones' early years i.e. when they were good.

I watched Louis Theroux's new documentary about American sex offendors on parole, last night. I think Shambles has allready mentioned it, it's right up there with his very best documentaries, he never shies away from the difficult questions that need asking to get right to the heart of matters. I think another reason for the high quality of his docs is that he engages so well with the people he is featuring that people want to open up and talk to him on even subjects as sensitive as this one.

Was a good 'un that last LA Stories one on sex offenders (iPlayer linky for any who haven't seen and wish to - should be up for a while yet). He seems to have a particular interest in sex offenders as he's covered them a number of times now. It is a particularly thorny issue. For those like myself who tend to be very liberal-minded when it comes to issues of rehabilitation and second chances there is a particular problem with sex offenders. There's the fact the crimes themselves tend to be especially grotesque and generally harder to even conceive of forgiving or seeing past at all - it generally seems a lot easier to get past violent crimes than sexually violent crimes. I think it's due to sex being such a primary drive and instinct. It's not a thing anybody tends to have total control over. The vast majority have plenty enough control to not perpetrate sex crimes but I think most probably understand that it's not easy to control sex drive and if a person's sex drive happens to involve things it really shouldn't it's very hard to know what to do about such people. Yes they "should" get a second chance and be allowed to live a normal life once their time is served, but such people do have an unusually high recidivism rate and with crimes that cause so much devastation to victims I can understand the desire to somehow separate such people. That's not to say I necessarily approve of such measures either. I really do have difficulty deciding quite what I think would be the best approach to balance rights on all sides - and I do think it's good the way Louis Theroux portrays sex offenders in ways that do humanise them because they are human beings and do have rights. But is there any way they can be trusted to control their unpleasant urges enough to be treated exactly like other people once they've crossed certain lines? A thorny issue indeed and a good doc it was.

That old guy with the indecent exposure problem seemed to have a problem with an excessively high sex drive, he really wanted to change his ways but his biology seemed to be working against him. He has become so desperate that he's considering operating on himself to remove his appendages as he cannot afford to get the treatment done professionally. That meth head / alcoholic was in such a bad way he was suicidal. The dilema was giving these people a 'second chance' at rebuilding a life (some of them had had many more chances and convictions than that) whilst safeguarding the children in the area. Again Theroux got to the heart of the matter, there are rarely any simple solutions to the problems he tackles, and his programs often raise more questions and difficulties than they solve, but they do succeed in furthering understanding on w/e subject he tackles. No matter how controversial the topic, he ties to be unbiased, whilst never loosing sight of moral values without being over judgemental and preachy at the same time. He really is quite the talent for getting this difficult balance so right time after time.

...The dilema was giving these people a 'second chance' at rebuilding a life (some of them had had many more chances and convictions than that) whilst safeguarding the children in the area.

The only one featured who offended against children was the fella that run the housing scheme itself - the rest were rapists and a flasher. Seems a bit of a red-herring to be getting hysterical thinking about the children when children were of no particular interest or exceptional risk in the vast majority of cases. Of course they only featured a handful of residents so maybe there were a number of child sex offenders who weren't put on camera. The way that local politician organised "the city's smallest park" just to try to get the place shut down left a bit of a bad taste with me. Another of those thorny dilemmas. I can understand the thinking but ultimately that thinking would mean that sex offenders who have served their time would be required to live in total isolation and that doesn't seem right. What is the point of sentencing people if their sentence never actually ends? One of the people featured (the one female sex offender) said something similar - why not lock them up for life if you're not going to allow them to have a life outside of prison?

There were also a couple of others who had comitted crimes against underage girls, i think that young skinhead muscular guy with the bandana who lived in a van was done for underage sex, whether it was consensual or not, and i think that ageing skinhead black guy that they spotted on the 'sidewalk' from their car in the homeless area patrol also comitted an act of gross indecency with a 14 year old girl. The flasher targetted 40 something MILF types, and the meth head seemed to have a problem realising when NO meant NO as his crimes were comitted raping his partners.

I actually found myself taking the side of the paedos over that park thing. I was quite chuffed when their plan never worked. That's what they get for being dicks about it.

That young skinhead guy was creepy as fuck. Out in the middle of nowhere in his rape van, playing on the monkey bars. It's only a matter of time before he rapes another wean.