• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Good Documentaries v. is that a doc?

interesting
Crazy Horse - cinéma vérité look inside Paris' Crazy Horse, a club that boasts the greatest and most chic nude dancing in the world.

Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp

Examines the tumultuous life of legendary Chicago pimp Iceberg Slim (1918-1992) and how he reinvented himself from pimp to author of 7 groundbreaking books. These books were the birth of Street Lit and explored the world of the ghetto in gritty and poetic detail and have made him a cultural icon. Interviews with Iceberg Slim, Chris Rock, Henry Rollins, Ice-T, Snoop Dogg, and Quincy Jones.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180016/

Cowspiracy
Not sure if this has been posted here before, and yes, the name of the doc is really lame but as a vegetarian bordering on vegan I can not stress enough how we're fucking ourselves over big time by our meat/ dairy consumption and this doc sums up why nicely.

Bitter Lake - Adam Curtis' latest documentary - only released on iplayer - about recent history of afghanistan and the interventions there, but also lots about saudi arabia, wahabism, bin laden and all that. Pretty good stuff - if you like his other docs (power of nightmares), you'll like this (lots of interesting archive footage - bit simplistic in places).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02gyz6b/adam-curtis-bitter-lake

Cheers for that Vurtual. Seems right up my street.

I very rarely watch TV anymore but do, of course, watch TV programs on the internet. It's great not having to be bombarded with advertisements but I also don't get to find out about programs that interest me. Cheers for the shout.

'Citizenfour'

In January 2013, Laura Poitras started receiving anonymous encrypted e-mails from "CITIZENFOUR," who claimed to have evidence of illegal covert surveillance programs run by the NSA in collaboration with other intelligence agencies worldwide. Five months later, she and reporters Glenn Greenwald and Ewen MacAskill flew to Hong Kong for the first of many meetings with the man who turned out to be Edward Snowden. She brought her camera with her. The resulting film is history unfolding before our eyes.

Bitter Lake - Adam Curtis' latest documentary - only released on iplayer - about recent history of afghanistan and the interventions there, but also lots about saudi arabia, wahabism, bin laden and all that. Pretty good stuff - if you like his other docs (power of nightmares), you'll like this (lots of interesting archive footage - bit simplistic in places).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02gyz6b/adam-curtis-bitter-lake

Thought I'd come back just to recommend this one to people while it's still available on iPlayer. I'd never watched any of his stuff before but now I'm going to try and dig it up somewhere.

All his docs are interesting - even the ones from the 90s (picture box?) - they're all about online. I particularly liked the ones about psychology (the century of the self and the Trap)

Happy days! There's me searching youtube and about to try and find a stream.

It looks like there's a lot of good stuff on there. That's me sorted for a few nights.

Thank you, sire :)

No worries. But having had another look at that site, it looks like it doesn't have all the episodes of all the "series", only the first. So you might have to resort to youtube after all.

Century of the Self is probably my favourite (4 parts).

Felix & Don.....how dare you clods watch documentaries that aren't WW2 related ?.....you bloody traitors!!!!! :)

Unfortunately, I've watched just about every WW2 documentary that I can stand. The only ones left are those sensationalised American ones where the narrator sounds like he does film trailers.

I watched all of 'The Power of Nightmares' last night and really enjoyed it. I also watched 'Crazy Rulers of the World' by Jon Ronson, which was quite bizzare. Seems to be a lot of watching for me on this site.

You know why they call it yesterday don't you?....

Cos when you watching something you think"fuck me I'm sure that same programme was on yesterday!" :)

Haha. That's exactly it. US documentary makers must really think that their viewers have shit for brains. They re-cap the whole feckin show every time they come back from a beak (which seems to be 6 times an hour for US shows). I mean, with history documentaries, you're usually following a pretty linear narrative so I think most people can keep up.