• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Please help sort out the common remedies used for easing Opiate W/D symptoms!

I agree thats kinda why I didn't bring it up originally.. benadryl actually is an antipsychotic.. so it negatively effects dopamine.. but if her worst symptoms are the teary eyes etc then I would try it out.

Are Gaba and gabapentin used interchangeably?

Naw, GABA is a nuerotrasmitter (gamma aminobutric acid).

Benzos, alcohol, gabapentin, phenibut are all GABA agonists, meaning they stimulate the GABA receptors (GABAa/GABAb).

^I think gabapentin, lyrica, and phenibut are all GABA analogues tho..

Gabapentin (Neurontin) is a pharmaceutical drug, specifically a GABA analog
>source<

β-Phenyl-γ-aminobutyric acid (brand name Noofen), better known as phenibut or less commonly fenibut or phenybut, is a derivative of the naturally occurring inhibitory neurotransmitter γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA).
>source<

Alcohol really seems to have a pretty complex effect on the brain.. Here is some stuff that shows some of what it does.

Neurobiology of Alchohol Dependence

It manipulates the GABA, glutamate, dopamine, and endorphins. So my guess that while its manipulation of the GABA may be beneficial it manipulation of the others may likely be detrimental.

Edit: also since it has such a short strong action, followed quickly by a strong rebound that normally results in such unpleasant withdraws (hangover), it may help a little followed by making things so much worse. I remember only once being hung over and in acute withdrawal.. it was as bad as I've ever felt I think.

Last edited:
A trick I learned with Gabapentin is to take neproxin (Aleve) 2 hrs before it increases bio availability. Also there is a limit to how gabapentin your body can absorb at 1 time, so I staggered my dose 300 mg every 45 min usually stopped between 600-900mg also tolerance builds fast. More info http://www.drugs.com/ppa/gabapentin.html

In my experience:

Clonidine - Restless Leg Syndrome, elevated heart rate

Neurontin/gabapentin - Anxiety, skin crawling/tingly/jump out of your body feeling, hot flashes

Flexeril - no personal experience.

Zolpidem/ambien - Sleep, obviously. Be careful and aware of cross addiction.

Valium - Anxiety, obviously. Be careful and aware of cross addiction.

How is your detox going? How far in are you?

Only thing I'd change is that clonidine is what prevented the sweating and hot/cold flashes for me. Everyone is different. I suggest going heavy on clonidine and loperamide early and save the benzos for later when you have a chance of feeling somewhat relaxed. They can't touch initial withdrawal IME.

Can I supplement with gabapentin and clonidine at night while I am still tapering down on opiates?
When I try to drop my opiate dose down I get w/d symptoms, particularly at night.

Can I supplement with gabapentin and clonidine at night while I am still tapering down on opiates?
When I try to drop my opiate dose down I get w/d symptoms, particularly at night.

Clonidine can help with RLS and an increased heart rate, while the Gabapentin can help with the anxiety and jumpy feeling. :)

Pregabalin and gabapentin are lifesavers while in withdrawal. Benzos help the anxiety. Immodium in high doses helps alot. And my w/d toolbox also includes d-methamphetamine, i know it sounds silly but it helps me with alot of symptoms in full on tweaker dosage.... helps take my mind off things.

Pregabalin and gabapentin are lifesavers while in withdrawal. Benzos help the anxiety. Immodium in high doses helps alot. And my w/d toolbox also includes d-methamphetamine, i know it sounds silly but it helps me with alot of symptoms in full on tweaker dosage.... helps take my mind off things.

Thanks for the advice, a half an adderall lifts me out of the doldrums.
I am just being very careful not to be too friendly with it.