• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mystery - WHY false positive for meth/amphetamine?! please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

glittermummy

Greenlighter
Hey got a bit of a mystery on my hands. apollagies i should post this elsewhere i just wasn't sure.
I'm on a subutex script, went on it after being addicted to pretty much anything but opiates being the worst because you can't just stop....stu i am genuinely not wanting this life anymore. But as you guys know its not easy. I still take the odd benzo and stupidly (i was in the midst of the darkest time of my life i'd take anything and not care basicly at that point) i tried that new legal benzo fury(never even been into or tried extacy or whatever its meant to be like like....

it went HORRIBLY WRONG. wont to into deets but never again. Could those of been it? other culprits could be:Modafinil(or provigil is other name). or synthcaine a research chem (basically legal coke). I know. I'm a fucking idiot so please dont give me a hard time believe me i know....) i've googled it of course and didnt find a sure answer...none are actually anthet, provigil can very very very RARELY do it. but its so rare....im thinkig could be the the legal benzo fury shit. either way was mortified of course everyone denies it so i didnt expect to believed....last is that it was just dodgy test

anyone that could give me a sure explanation what it was i'd be so greatful :D

Benzofury can pop a positive for amphetamines on some tests. 6-APB is similar to MDA, so I believe there most be some metabolic pathway that leads to a +ve amphetamine test. However, you do realise you can explain away a positive amphetamine test by saying you were taking the decongestant pseudoephedrine (Sudafed, Sinutab etc..). As it is also a common culprit for false positive amphetamine tests.

We do not currently know what is in synthacaine. I'm led to believe that it may contain methiopropamine (MPA), which is related to methamphetaine (a thiophene ring replaced the phenyl ring) and that may too cause a false positive.

Can I ask what sort of test you had to take? Was it court ordered or via employment? Or is it a requirement of your Subutex treatment? These tests tend to look for metabolic products of the drugs and not that actual drug itself (as would be the case in GC/MS - but if I'm mistaken I would appreciate being corrected).

YEAH THE FURY PART THAT'S THE STIMULANT ! its a analogue of amphetamine!

A lot of those legal highs can have a presumptive test for amphetamine, do you mean that an actual lab analysis for a mandatory drug test for your subs tested positive for an amphetamine-like substance? It's possible that it was just a presumptive positive, and if you explain, they may do a more thorough test (but who knows?) It is well known that there are also a lot of false positives in the drug testing world, I'd stay clean and ask for a re-test if that's an option, swear that you haven't taken any amphetamines and see how you go, especially if a positive test is going to something drastic such as kick you off your maintenance meds.

You have rights too, remember.

Drug Studies is for the posting of recruitment threads for research studies, not for topics like this, sorry.

We also don't really allow drug testing/legal questions here since all of them have basically already been answered either in this Drug Testing Q&A subforum or on Erowid.org.

To answer your question, "benzo fury" is 6-APB, a substance almost identical in structure to MDA and MDMA. Some of it metabolises into Amphetamine during its process of elimination in your body. So yes it will test positive for amphetamines, 6-APB *is* an amphetamine!

A lot of structures carrying the Amphetamine basic structure (whether it's Methamphetamine, MDMA, 6-APB, 5-APB, or a whole host of others) tend to metabolise into either Amphetamine or Methamphetamine during part of their metabolic process, so expect to test positive.

In future check first before eating products if you're expected to be drug tested. "Legal highs" are almost always VERY VERY similar in structure to the illegal drugs they're trying to mimic, so it's not unusual for them to flag drug tests for those drugs.

Look at 6-APB aka "benzo fury":
6-APB_structure.png

Now look at a series of Amphetamines:
AFFINILUTE_Amphetamines.jpg

See how it's almost identical to MDA and MDMA, and is a typical amphetamine carrying the entire Amphetamine structure in it? That's why you failed your drug test as it breaks down into Amphetamine in the body as I said.

Unfortunately there's no way for you to prove you took 6-APB and not Amphetamine itself now, so you're kind of stuck with that result unless you can convince them some made up story about some other substance that can cause a false positive for amphetamine :/

Since this answers your question and these types of threads aren't really allowed anyway:

-Thread Closed-

Status
Not open for further replies.