• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What's Good on European and African TV v. Walking the Dead

TWD just drew me in immediately, i was immediately hooked, its rare a tv series ever gets me like that, (I didnt immediately and instinctively like The wire and Breaking Bad) i liked the atmosphere and the characters and the violence and the zombie roars, the survivalist theme of it all. You cant please all the people all the time, but it's managed to please me a lot.

NSFW:
Personally I think Rick is excellent, he plays the most complicated character, he seems to be struggling with everything more than most, makes bad decisions and looses the plot. In other words i can relate to him as he's so human, real, and flawed with it.
Some of the best characters have been killed off though; Merle "Do you even know why you do the things that you do !?" (How can you not like Rick when he comes out with lines like that ?) with his Terminator arm and his penchant for crystal meth, Hershell (just his face was a charismatic presence), Brian AKA The Governor, these people had something about them that made them interesting.

It's in my top 5 TV series, but there's a shit load of classic series that ive never watched. I'll be trying to get DVD boxsets for some of the big classic series that have been mentioned like Game of Thrones, Dexter, The Sopranos etc.

Last edited:
I loved the first series of The Walking Dead. I thought it was amazing. Like you say MDB that first episode really sucked me in despite Rick's accent being a bit strange. It was the slow moving second series that really killed it though. I couldn't believe they got it so wrong. Left a bad taste in my mouth that I can't see past sadly.

How many more are there to go in TWD? Need to be clearing some space for acquisition soon enough.

I loved the first series of The Walking Dead. I thought it was amazing. Like you say MDB that first episode really sucked me in despite Rick's accent being a bit strange. It was the slow moving second series that really killed it though. I couldn't believe they got it so wrong. Left a bad taste in my mouth that I can't see past sadly.

Agreed, the pacing is so shit

If we were all to do what Shambles is doing, ie saving them all up to watch back to back in Marathon sessions it wouldnt be so noticeable. As each episode tends to end on some sort of cliffhanger you could immediately watch the next and it wouldnt feel so slow as it sometimes does then i suspect.

Ha ha ha ^ That video was great.

Glad you enjoyed it Dan. I miss it. Nowt decent for me to watch now. Shame they aren't going to continue making them with same cast but at least it goes out on a high.

If we were all to do what Shambles is doing, ie saving them all up to watch back to back in Marathon sessions it wouldnt be so noticeable. As each episode tends to end on some sort of cliffhanger you could immediately watch the next and it wouldnt feel so slow as it sometimes does then i suspect.

This is precisely why I do it that way. I get bored no matter how good the series otherwise. That and I tend to forget who's who and what's supposed to be happening. Early onset dementia, probably. That or drugs.

Interested to hear what you (Shambles) and MDB make of True Detective when/if you get round to watching it. :)

We're watching True Detective too - it's a bit slow but it's definitely good and heading somewhere amazing. We'll persevere.

Season 2 of Hannibal is ace.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle: England. Gonna plug it again even though I kinda know anyone who likes is watching and everybody else is avoiding like the plague... C'mon plague-dodgers, grow some balls <3

Second episode considerably funnier than the first (and the first was pretty damn funny). As presumed by the title, largely lays into UKIP and other such LIttle Englander types. Viciously and repetitively for half an hour. The latter is a big part of his comedy value, the former the other big part of his comedy value, if you value neither in comedy you will not approve.

Incidentally, forgot to mention that Chris Morris has a cameo role in this series. He plays some kinda therapist during lil segues. Didn't make much impression beyond his mere (godlike) presence first episode, second episode had me sniggering a fair bit. Can but hope the arc continues up and up <3

I just wanted to make sure that someone mentioned this. Well done. Haven't watched part 3 yet (Satire) but will do soon.

Shitbottle.

Third one wasn't as good as second but still pretty good. First and only time I've seen Chris Morris corpsing at one of his own lines too.

Not new but as far as series go the following programs are the only ones I can warrant watching:

Spaced
Peep Show
Red Dwarf

Erm that's it, no need for a list really. I disconnected/smashed up anything freeview related a while back and not having tv was one of the best things I have ever done. No more being forced into Hollyoaks or Eastbenders any more for me.

Channel 4 10pm tonight; Undercover Doctor: Cure me, I'm gay.
Dr Christian Jessen investigates and undertakes a range of controversial gay 'cures' from old-school aversion to modern day 'rehabilitation'.

Watched an ITV production for BBC last night (thats fucking weird in itself, never seen that before that i know of) called Shetland.

From the trailers it looked kind of 'atmospheric' and 'scenic' and 'moody'. It was pretty good, its on series 2 right now, focusing on a small group of coppers investigating crimes on the island. Epiosde 3 was on last night. I watched the first 2 on i-player first and they featured Brian Cox as a recluse and chief suspect just because he was a recluse and more than a bit odd. It seems to be way better than average British ITV detective series fodder, and American Shit like CSI, but not quite epic. Kind of like Taggart was when it actually had Taggart in it. Not as good as Cracker though, no way.

So TWD season 4 has finished. :| I've been checking out the critical reviews of it, and all 4 seaons have been highly critically acclaimed. It was definately the huge mid season break and having to wait a week for the next episode that fucked things up a bit i reckon.

There is gonna be a season 5. I think I'll wait until that comes out on DVD, or do what Shambles did and save them all up to watch back to back over the course of a few days.

spoiler

NSFW:
I loved the ending. "They have picked the wrong people to fuck with." :D

Of course our band of brothers are gonna out-smart their captors and probably take over Terminus for a while, and then they may go with that scientist to Washington in order to "save the world" :\. That guy may be full of bullshit, we will have to wait and see. :sus: Glad that all the major established characters survived this season, allthough Beth has gone missing i suspect she will turn up somewhere in S5

I hope its not gonna end up another season dominated by another crazy Governor type character. Decent last episode though

Been watching Homeland recently... season 1 and 2.... Amazing series, well worth watching

Which Way is the Front Line from Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington

Latest Storyville doc is a good 'un. They usually are but is some amazing photography and reportage in this one - a fitting tribute to what looked to be an excellent photographer, documentarian and journalist. War journalism and photography can be a bit overly macho and try too hard to shock at times (although shock is certainly effective at times too - but definitely overdone) but this is quite a different take. Seems more ambitious and to be aiming for something a bit deeper and beyond simplistic stories of heroes and villains and blood and gore. That's not to say the footage isn't shocking - simply being so incredibly close to the fighting is shocking enough in itself. None of that CNN embedded journalist malarkey. There really is no separation at all between the people at the very front of the frontline with guns and those with cameras.

Well worth a watch if you have an interest in photojournalism, world events or a good story well told... albeit not necessarily one with a happy ending. The pictures (and footage - but especially the stills) really are quite special though. It's the fella who filmed Restrepo which I never actually got around to watching but remember plenty here recommending it who may be interested, as may anybody else be.

I fiend upon True Detective over a week and a half after desperately trying to fill the void left after we smashed three seasons of Game of Thrones each night before we went to bed. I fucking love Matthew McConoghy since his sleazy portrayal in Dazed and Confused. I love the Southern Country soundtrack of true detective too. The story feels slower paced but when you realise the series is only 8 episodes you learn to love the character development that you just don't get in a 3 hr blockbuster. The two main characters are interesting and likeable despite both having serious flaws.

My nightly ritual now when I get home from work has been cracking a beer and settling in to watch classic episodes of Beverly Hills 90210, followed by double episodes of Seinfeld. 90's nostalgia is agreeing with me, so much so that I have forced the Mrs to grow out her beaver because I was sick of her Brazillian and I'm driving around in my brother's vintage porsche with no air conditioning. You know it is true love when she summits to both without even so much of a whimper.

i003530.jpg