European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Class: The Great EADD Debate

mydrugbuddy

Bluelighter
LOL, I'm not a middle class type. I like to think of myself as classless, but that's just kidding myself. I'm annoyed about this whole class system thing, its just an 'accident of birth' that i was born working class. Social mobilty almost happened for me, but i fucked up my career. Maybe if id got myself a middle class wife and job, then our kids would be middle class.

I'm a trifle annoyed at all the middle class types on here debating what a spare room should be called. I say think yerselves bloody lucky to have spare rooms in the first place ;)

I think myself lucky everyday, I told the house keeper and kitchen maid that this very morning, just before I popped out in my barbour jacket to shoot some peasants pheasants :D

HAHA. I wish my valet would hurry up finishing ironing my Sunday Times for me. It is most aggrevating to have to read the thing when some of the pages are creased.

Money has nothing to do with social class. Skilled working class tradespersons like joiners, builders, engineers, oil rig workers etc can earn far more than typically middle class profesions like teaching or social work etc.

Last edited:
I earn just under 20 pa. I am definitely working class!

...Though according to a newish bbc class calculator apparently I am middle class. That's bollox mind u.

Is that calculator still available ? Id probably be part of the so called underclass now being jobless for 12 months and a sort of recovering drug addict. I have to believe this joblessness thing is only temporary. I believe that sooner or later i will manage to be in the right place at the right time and get another job.

Result: the class group you most closely match is:
Traditional working class
This class group scores low for economic, social and cultural factors, but they do have some financial security. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Own their own home
Are older
Tend to mix socially with people similar to themselves

Im sure my result was different last time i took the test, i cant remember what has changed, probably lots of things, my income, my savings, my social activities.

Money has nothing to do with social class. Skilled working class tradespersons like joiners, builders, engineers, oil rig workers etc can earn far more than typically middle class proffesions like teaching or social work etc.

That's a fair point, you're right. My job is definitely a working class one mind.

I've never really thought of people in a certain "class" to be honest... I think that sort of thing divides people and don't really like it xxxx

divide and rule, that's the rule.
By trade I'm middle class, by parentage I'm working class, by income and home I'm peasant.

I mentioned a while back what Irvine Welsh said when Melvy Bragg asked him if he was now middle class. He said most certainly not, I'm part of the aristocracy sincethe middle class are always struggling to pay the mortgage, the car the holiday, I can do what I want when I want.

Other countries aren't into class so much?

Well ,the working class have been conned as have the middle class. I had such a working class mentality , still do of not wanting to elevate myself. I don't see it as elevation anyway. So long as I have enough money to do the thinhs I'm happy doing and enough time to stay sane I'm happy.

I'm annoyed with meself for doing stuff for other bag hads. letting them latch onto me/ I'll get it sorted. I don't get riled by much these days/ Don't get wound up by pressing social issues. Just content looking after me and my boy and my dog. Bland and boring.

By trade I'm middle class, by parentage I'm working class, by income and home I'm peasant.

I mentioned a while back what Irvine Welsh said when Melvy Bragg asked him if he was now middle class. He said most certainly not, I'm part of the aristocracy sincethe middle class are always struggling to pay the mortgage, the car the holiday, I can do what I want when I want.

Well ,the working class have been conned as have the middle class. I had such a working class mentality , still do of not wanting to elevate myself. I don't see it as elevation anyway. So long as I have enough money to do the thinhs I'm happy doing and enough time to stay sane I'm happy.

I'm annoyed with meself for doing stuff for other bag hads. letting them latch onto me/ I'll get it sorted. I don't get riled by much these days/ Don't get wound up by pressing social issues. Just content looking after me and my boy and my dog. Bland and boring.

Well - I'll be boring with you... I'm just content with looking after my lil' girl and my cat, Beauty (her sister, Black, died last November). I'm on benefits in a council house so I'm class as a bum (joke). Awh well if I don't joke at things at times I'll die of seriousness lol xxxx

Hang on I'm meant to be venting here. Bloody rain P*** OFF!!!!

I mentioned a while back what Irvine Welsh said when Melvy Bragg asked him if he was now middle class. He said most certainly not, I'm part of the aristocracy sincethe middle class are always struggling to pay the mortgage, the car the holiday, I can do what I want w en I want.

I'm agreeing what your saying here. I'm pure dead underclass working class by birth / upbringing but ended up with a degree, masters and a professional career. Though I'm still pretty fucked up and diagnosed bibolar I do ok just. Well, maybe not so ok...

Anyhoo, in terms of class I'd have to say I'm, fucking lucky to be passing above and through the "glass ceiling"...I get access and the opportunity to work (and yep, it is all indeed women of power)of some ladies in some really pretty powerful positions. They are all pretty respectful of my working class credentials too.

This is a big year for Scotland, its pretty exciting being near the politics <3

The working classes have everything to play for, especially now we've moved into the professions of employability n' economic development. Aye, come on...just try and take us learned, smart scum on =D%):D

I thought you had to born Aristocratic, and thats the whole problem with it, thats its not earnt, its just passed down by 'accident of birth'. Maybe Irvine Welsh just meant in the sense that he has loads of money and could be as idle as he wishes. as is the stereotypical Aristocrat, as in Jeeves and Wooster and The Picture of Dorian Gray. They are all "dandies" that go out partying all night long, and dont get up until 2pm, and are never seen until 5pm, if you believe the sources ive been reading about.

I am quite class conscious. With some people it is difficult to make out what class they are, like Lord John Prescott with his fabulous wealth and grand title, i still consider him to be working class, because of his outlook and the way he says and does things. Matt Baker, and loads of other youngish TV presenters like Fearn Cotton, what class are these guys, they all have nice not too strong regional accents. Frank Skinner seems to be in denial, or his script writers forced him to make jokes about the working class, when he is definately working class himself. Ross Noble ? Paul Merton ? Middle class i think, though "he dont talk propa like wot i duz"

The whole thing is annoying the way it creates labels, and divisions, and just the consciousness of it alone is bad enough, once you've developed it.

What regional accent does Fearne Cotton have? I thought it was just generic London speak.

Yeah, I know that MDB! I thought you meant a more localised town/city accent ("Barnsley", as opposed to "Northern", for example).

What regional accent does Fearne Cotton have? I thought it was just generic London speak.

Estuary English rather than actual London, I'd say. Though the boundaries are more and more blurred these days.

Many of these people will swear blindly that they 'don't have an accent'. Yes you do. It's a generic south-eastern accent, but it's an accent all the same. :)

Yeah the Southern accent and old fashioned "cor blimey guvnor" cockney accent definately seems to have evolved. Youths from all parts of the country seem to have a youth speak accent that isnt regional, just very strange.

HAHA. I wish my valet would hurry up finishing ironing my Sunday Times for me. It is most aggrevating to have to read the thing when some of the pages are creased.

You read the paper yourself?? I pay some one to read to to me! lol

For me money has nothing to with class, i base it on morals and values and how people conduct themselves