• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Severe itching with 30mg codeine- is this an allergic reaction?

Zeon

Greenlighter
I took 30mg codeine to see if I would be allergic, and itches occurred all over my body, including my tongue, although the latter only happened twice. Does this mean the itching will increase substantially at a recreational dose (120mg for a first timer), and/or that I have an allergy to codeine?

^Feeling very itchy is a common side effect, but what you're describing sounds like something different.

I can't tell you whether or not you're allergic to codeine, but it sounds like a possibility. And it stands to reason, that if you take a higher dose you could have a stronger reaction. Get an allergy test maybe?

^Feeling very itchy is a common side effect, but what you're describing sounds like something different.

I can't tell you whether or not you're allergic to codeine, but it sounds like a possibility. And it stands to reason, that if you take a higher dose you could have a stronger reaction. Get an allergy test maybe?

Would a higher dose be life-threatening then? I wouldn't be able to get an allergy test since I have no real reason to take codeine. Also, if I am allergic to codeine, does that mean I am allergic to other opiates such as oxycodone?

As Blue said, it is extremely common to experience itching which is a histamine reaction when taking codiene. Yours does sound like it might be an actual allergic reaction though. The problem with allergic reactions is what might show as a mild allergic reaction a few times will eventually become a much stronger reaction each time your body is exposed to the codiene (or anything that you are allergic to). For example, you might have no reaction first few times you use it, then you may start having a reaction such as yours, the more your body is exposed the stronger the reaction may become until you might have an anaphylactic reaction (airway closes up) and can be deadly very quickly. There is no way to foresee how soon or quickly a severe reaction like that can happen. If it does it is definitely a medical emergency. Be very careful. Personally, i would just not use the codeine any more. It is one of those drugs that many people are commonly allergic to.

A full blown dose could cause swelling of the throat or pulmonary edema.

I would be cautious.

If I am allergic to codeine, does that mean that I am allergic to the rest of the opiates?

If I am allergic to codeine, does that mean that I am allergic to the rest of the opiates?

Something like Tramadol might work better, I'm no expert though.

And it might be a reaction to one of the fillers in the pills, is it codeine mixed with APAP?

Something like Tramadol might work better, I'm no expert though.

And it might be a reaction to one of the fillers in the pills, is it codeine mixed with APAP?

Yes and ricin oil. But I know I'm not allergic to APAP

Still things like lactose as a filler/additive in prettying any medication, though lactose shouldn't make it more itchy!

Might be urticaria, which I've got. With urticaria pretty much anything can set off a reaction that will give you hives, opiates/opioids/APAP and shit always sets it off for me, even slight alterations in temperature outside can set it off.

If you want you can try with antihistamines .

The itchy tounge part makes me think you should be very careful.

Codeine is IMHO the itchiest opiate hands down. Tramadol is better and can provide a nod. I stopped ordering pure codeine after my last run with it.

Benadryl can help.

If you plan on taking higher doses, get some benadryl or any other antihistamine to stop the allergic reaction.
I wouldn't take higher doses of codeine if I had such a reaction to 30mg.
You shouldn't be allergic to other opioids but I'm not sure about that.