• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Prescription pills - advice please?

ants

Bluelighter
Hey guys,

So this is a weird one. I have a health issue which causes me anxiety. Without the health issue, there's no anxiety but doctors are clueless after 4 years so fuck it, let's pop the meds eh?

So, after turning down happy pills (SSRIs) for years, I've got to the point now where I think I really need to be taking something to help me with my anxiety.

So...

SSRIs = No go. Don't want a knock on my libido so that rules out the below - I also rule out Mirtazapine due to the weight gain.

citalopram
escitalopram
fluoxetine
fluvoxamine
paroxetine
sertraline

Benzos are a no go as they are temporary as you build a tolerance and can get very addictive so no thanks.

The only one that seemed to be a possibility was Wellbutrin (bupropion) but that's used more for depression than Anxiety :/

Also took beta-blockers but they just make it really hard to get you know...hard.

Now this doesn't leave me with much options eh - Any suggestions? Not sure how often people make posts in here when its not from a recreational perspective.

Yes, I take recreational drugs too sometimes (MDMA / Coke / Alcohol) but shouldn't really make a difference with my above questions.

Cheers guys !

Tianeptine is a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer - the literal opposite of the SSRIs - with moderate to strong anxiolytic properties.

i've had lifelong anxiety and tried to avoid medication for many many years for the exact reason.
i even turned to "meditation" and learning to "live in the now",
but i must admit... i never feel so happy and relaxed as when i'm high on benzos/opiates.

physical benzo addiction and tolerance can be avoided by taking them sparingly.
if you take a benzo with a short half life, like lorazepam for example.
if you take 1mg once per week, then by day 3 it's already out of your system and your body has time to recover.
you might even pull of taking 1mg twice a week but that could be pushing it.

i've been doing this for years with lorazepam and i'm not mentally/physically addicted.
i think the same is possible with opiates like codeïne or maybe even oxycodone.
currently i'm taking 10mg oxycodone twice a week without ill effects as of yet,
but i haven't done that for years and people say eventually everyone becomes an addict to opiates so i can't really say its safe.

i wish there was a form of anti depressants i could take that would have good effects and continue to have good effects,
without side-effects... but i'm affraid they just don't exist.
just like benzo's can cause benzo withdrawal syndrome, anti depressant can cause their own withdrawal syndromes.

one of the safest antidepressants seems to be the reversible maoi's,
moclobemide in particular (taking other drugs is FORBIDDEN if ur on this antidepressant),
and if you really wanna take classic anti depressants, try one with a long halflife to avoid interdose withdrawal. like prozac.

effexor is one of the worst antidepressants in that respect.

Last edited:
Benzodiazepines really are the best anxiolytics. I'm willing to take the good with the bad when it comes to benzos, personally. Just my two pence.

Benzodiazepines really are the best anxiolytics. I'm willing to take the good with the bad when it comes to benzos, personally. Just my two pence.
where's the good if you have to keep increasing your dose every month.
eventually you're on such a high dose, your doc isn't going to want to increase dosage;

or maybe one day your doc will stop prescribing,
or you will no longer to see that doctor because your in jail, or whatever.

and then the fun begins.
i've once heard a guy with a serious benzo addiction say: "i don't even want to think about what would happen if i would quit cold Turkey"

^yup. and if you're not actively trying to fix the anxiety in the first place it's only going to get worse quickly. benzos are a short term solution. they seem like they'll last forever, and some people keep it up for 20 years, but afterwards is just going to get harder and more painful, while the pills get less and less effective.

where's the good if you have to keep increasing your dose every month.
eventually you're on such a high dose, your doc isn't going to want to increase dosage;

or maybe one day your doc will stop prescribing,
or you will no longer to see that doctor because your in jail, or whatever.

and then the fun begins.
i've once heard a guy with a serious benzo addiction say: "i don't even want to think about what would happen if i would quit cold Turkey"

Maybe it is just my nostalgia for the "happy days" speaking. My benzodiazepines were my only friend for years. I had a pretty tough time coming off them, but I still hold out for the hope that I might have been able to keep going had it not been for them meddlin' docs.

Tianeptine is a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer - the literal opposite of the SSRIs - with moderate to strong anxiolytic properties.

Urgh

Dry mouth (up to 20% )
Constipation (up to 15% )

Good suggestion though!

re taking other drugs with moclobemide. Does that rule out MDMA :p ?

Edit - Urgh just googled it, seems so. FFS why does there have to be a problem with EVERY option.

Last edited:
Antipsychotics? Olanzapine? I'm on clozapine, and it has been good for my anxiety - not really a first-line treatment though.

Gabapentin cured my anxiety completely, and at first caused an increase in motivation and energy, along with very heightened senses. I have only taken a benzo on about five occasions in my life, but I know they are associated with an amotivational syndrome.

Gabapentin could be hit/miss with general therapeutic effects as well as withdrawal symptoms.

TCAs, they work like SNRIs but without the sexual side effects of SSRIs.
And they're good for anxiety because they're sedating.
I'm on 20mg doxepin, was on 30mg and when I started taking it, I slept so much better and my anxiety got really better. I used to lock myself in my room sometimes when someone would visit us. Now I'm much more social.
What about buspirone ? Hydroxyzine ? I tried the latter and it helped too.

I forgot to mention stimulants, like methylphenidate, adderall, etc.

How about pregabalin (lyrica)?
It directly treats anxiety through the a1 delta GABA receptor, similar to benzos but not the same sub-receptor.
Its effects are generally pleasurable, its difficult to OD on and it aids deep sleep.

Pregabalin does have a withdrawal syndrome but isnt thought to be as dangerous as benzo WD.
Plus, its designed to be prescribed longterm so doctors are unlikely to cut you off suddenly.

Pregabalin mixes well with just about everything (alcohol can get a bit messy) and care needs to be taken with other cns depressants but its generally a forgiving substance.

Buspirone may be an option. Have you tried SSRIs? I know the incidence of sexual side effects is relatively high, but it is not guaranteed. Maybe short term benzo to get relief, taper, add buspirone and titrate it up.

OP every drug is going to have side effects..and if dry mouth and constipation occuring in a small percentage of people that take a drug is enough to cause you to rule it out then you are never going to find anything to take...those are really minor annoyances of side effects...

Not being able to go to the toilet for 5 days? I don't see that as minor which I got from Clonodine.

Side affects are unavoidable and it's up to you and your doctor which meds you could try. We can give you 100 different opinions on what WE prefer, but this is not going to help you is it?

Not being able to go to the toilet for 5 days? I don't see that as minor which I got from Clonodine.

This is why they make laxatives...and yes i agree with t calderone..that is the point i was trying to make1