• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

What RPGs are you guys playing?

MagickalKat777

Bluelight Crew
I've dove head first into the world of Suikoden PS2 style.

Suikoden III was the first time Suikoden ever actually went 3D. Its got 108 playable characters, 4 different simultaneous story lines (3 main ones) that you play through in chapters, a complex skill and battle system that really makes you think, and amazingly gorgeous worlds.

If you play RPGs, you have to know about Suikoden. I'm only 8 hours into III and its proving to be a very worthy follow up to Suikoden II which is no small feat.

I had completely forgotten about the Suikoden games. Shame on me. I figured that II was the best and never even heard anything about III, IV, and V on the PS2. Phenomenal game so far.

What are you guys playing? And MMORPGs aren't RPGs so no WoW :p :p :p

Do action rpgs count? I've been playing Skyrim for the last few months. I'm taking my time and exploring the side quests and stories.

There is so much content and depth. And the scenery and music is everything I love about fantasy worlds. I just wish the user interface had a better design.

ARPGs totally count.

Now that I fixed up my Alienware M17x that has been lying around useless, I might actually check out Skyrim. I know my 260M GTX cards can actually handle that one unlike my Intel graphics in my newer laptop LMAO!

What's wrong with the interface? I've never played it. Wasn't going to even attempt it with my other laptop.

I find that managing your inventory with a controller is pretty clumsy. The items are listed vertically so you'll spend a lot of time scrolling around for what you need. This is particularly annoying in the middle of combat where you'll pause the action to scroll down to your rarely used Staff of Flames (for example). This menu is also used for trade with your companion and buying/selling. Imagine selling your loot after a long quest and having to clumsily trade items with your companion and then sell them to a vendor. There is a "favorites" menu for equipping items at least. But again the items are listed vertically so there will be a lot of scrolling.

It's not a deal breaker, but it is annoying. I just discovered that there are UI mods available that probably alleviate these issues.

Wow that does indeed sound pretty aggravating.

I don't know, I've never been a fan of the series... Oblivion was alright but I got annoyed with it eventually and stopped playing. Since there is no demo and I don't have the cash to waste, it seems Skyrim is not in the cards for me right now.

Wow that does indeed sound pretty aggravating.

I don't know, I've never been a fan of the series... Oblivion was alright but I got annoyed with it eventually and stopped playing. Since there is no demo and I don't have the cash to waste, it seems Skyrim is not in the cards for me right now.

I've dove head first into the world of Suikoden PS2 style.

Suikoden III was the first time Suikoden ever actually went 3D. Its got 108 playable characters, 4 different simultaneous story lines (3 main ones) that you play through in chapters, a complex skill and battle system that really makes you think, and amazingly gorgeous worlds.

sounds great, I'm putting it on my to-download list.

Huge Skyrim fan here, it is by far the best RPG I've ever played.
I'll definitely check out Suikoden on PS3. I had never heard of it, thanks to MagickalKat for the heads up!

Replaying FFVII, available on the psp network. I think I'm gonna play Fallout 3 after that.

Talking about Suikoden, I'm tempted by Suikoden Tierkreis on (3)DS, and Spectral Souls on psp, but they're kinda pricey. So maybe I'll pass on these ones.

^^^ if you have a PSP, have ever played the Monster Hunter Freedom serie? I don't consider them RPGs, more like an action game with RPG elements, but god is it a good game. played it over 600 hours on my PSP you should definetely check it out if you haven't already

Diablo 3 on the X-bawx. Yes, I played it on PC when it came out. Yes, I hated it. I'm one of those people. HOWEVER! However on it's own merits, (separate from the Diablo series) it's a decent game. And after playing the console demo, it's become abundantly clear that they designed it as a console game from the get-go. The skill design (6 skills, no more or less) SCREAMS for a controller setup. They also added a dodge button, big difference. And it handles perfectly on console. So, I am having fun. Quite a bit actually. The absence of available multiplayer RPGs on consoles is a big reason why. Needed one to play with friends. (Bought it used though. No more money to smelly Blizzard. Hmph!)

South Park: Stick of Truth arrives Friday. I've watched some gameplay. Looks awesome. Very excited.

Anyone playing Star Wars the Old Republic? It's free, and star wars... =D

dude I bought that game sadly and cant even figure out how to login to my account because I dont know the Display Name or something to that effect.

and I finally got the right email to the account and had it sent via email but now I cant log into that gmail account and dont have a phone atm for them to text the verification number to

but it exists, I swear lol

Dark Souls 2... I just keep playing it. Part of the reason is I'm not good at it. And getting better.

It is an almost-MMOARPG. You occasionally see ghosts of other players around, and bloodstains all over that will let you see how people died (ghost fighting air/falling off cliffs) but don't interact until you either place a summon sign down and get summoned to their world to help them, or summon others who put summon signs down. Then there are invasions where people can use items called cracked eye orbs to invade random other players worlds, and covenants specifically for PvP, and some PvE. It's a pretty dynamic game. I'm pretty limited in my play style though, and for some reason have an aversion to magic, which I get owned by when invading/being invaded. It just seems complex. Lag is also an issue. I mainly play for PvE/coop.

I need to get my main internet back. I use my phone as a modem. Its actually a ton faster but for some reason I feel like its not. It keeps me from playing my other games. But this is one game I seem to be able to play for over 12 hours, which is rare for me. Has a lot going for it. Social, but if you want to chill, you can. And its also, at least at first, one of the hardest games I've had the interest to play.

I think Dark Souls 1 may have been better, in ways. I may check it out, again. Souls 2 lost the director from 1, and there is definitely a different feel to it. It seems to be missing what made 1 the work of art it was. But I've played this for now 3.5 playthroughs, and Souls 1, I finished once, and remembered fondly.

I hope 3, if it comes, will get the old project lead back.

Last edited:
So far loving Stick of Truth.

Cock....Titties....Kike
....Cock Titties.
(One of the overworld theme songs.)

^I thought the South Park video game was disappointing. It's definitely targeted to a younger audience.

Has anyone played Persona 4 Golden for the ps2 or vita? It's very trippy at times and besides the 10 minute long animated cut scenes there's nothing I don't like about it.

Anyone playing Star Wars the Old Republic? It's free, and star wars... =D

I was playing it for a bit. Made it off the first planet and stopped. The game felt like it was put together well and all. But it felt too much like WoW to me. Fetch this, kill that, etc. Unfortunately for me, I'm burned out on grinding.

^I thought the South Park video game was disappointing. It's definitely targeted to a younger audience.

That.......doesn't make any sense. It's South Park. Pretty much every gag/situation in the game is lifted directly from the show.

But ok, sorry you didn't enjoy it.