Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Generic medications.

Methadonia2010

Bluelighter
Was talking to a doc, he thinks generic are more inferior, anyone on diazepam every noticed the difference in effects. I used to buy Roche, but went to generic, I may go back now upon hearing that. Is it just binders or the actual effect that is different?, I know the pharmacy's incentive is financially to get generics Cheers.

They should have the same active ingredient, but who really knows. The world is a corrupt piece of shit so I wouldn't be surprised if Santa Claus wasn't real.

Yes, they are in ALL of my experiences with generics, inferior to the brand name for some strange reason. I have read somewhere it could be due the fillers and how they react with the drug once it is in the human body. Apparently generics utilize very cheap fillers, hence negatively reacting with the drug, or maybe the brand name has knowledge of a filler that does not interact with absorption or does in a positive way. These are my guesses and from a few forums I have read about the cheap fillers for generic medications.

I was also still unsure, but I have now witnessed an incident with a close family friend of mine which 100% confirmed that they are inferior in comparison with brand names. My uncle/family friend is a middle-aged man and an immigrant. He can not tell you the difference between a benzo or an opiate and does not really know what generic or brand names really mean, so placebo is out. He is on 2 -4mg of alprazolam per day and has been for more than a decade. The chemist one day offered him cheap generics and he bought them. That first night he was ever going to use them, I was staying at his house, and my gosh, it was horrible. First he could NOT SLEEP, then once he did manage to get some sleep, he woke up in the middle of the night with a massive headache, took more medication, headache never really went away, he had a dry mouth needing lots of water and he still kept on waking up with headaches, even though he kept on popping pills to.

Since that day, I know beyond a reasonable doubt that generics are weaker and much poorer quality than brand names. 100% sure.

After years of taking one particular branded med, the system could potentially become used to it, and how it normally reacts with the body - in much the same way as tolerance builds up for pain relief drugs and the like. That could explain the adverse reaction to your family friend's reaction to the generic alp. However, if you subscribe to the belief like those above that they are indeed 'more inferior'; then there's your answer.

From my own experience, and this goes against the grain of the thread; I have had branded diaz numerous times in the past, and recently opted for the generic. To my surprise, it did a better job on me than the branded version (I can take half as much with the same effect, for example).

When it comes to meds I know I need to take for a long time (anti-deps for example); I always go for the branded option, and never change unless directed by my doc, as I've been through AD withdrawals before, and anything I could do to avoid them, I will do.

I know everyone is different etc, and this counts for two cents, but I just thought I'd add it.

Alprazolam was definitely in the pills, obviously. If it was not, my uncle would of had full blown withdrawal/seizures etc. This resembled something like an uncomfortable hangover, unable to sleep. So if your system gets used to the brand, then their is obviously something different in the generics...just what it is, I am not sure. I still think it is the fillers, but that is just a guess. From my experiences, mainly from opiates, the generics were always weaker and this incident basically confirmed my suspicion.

Fillers are often more than simply inert chalk. Often they include a special delivery compound or something that increases or aids absorption. These usually carry a patent protection and do not expire like the active medicinal component does. By law generics must be within an acceptable bioequivalent range to the brand-name medicine but the law is grey as to how "identical" this has to be.

Ive taken branded and i definitely feel calmer, strange, the generic always felt like i needed a top up.!! . I did find this good Article.

Active and inactive ingredients

Take note that while generic and branded medicines have the same active ingredients, their inactive ingredientsotherwise known as excipients (i.e. components not intended to treat the illness)are not always alike. In fact, many look and taste differently because they use different inactive ingredients. This may include flavours, colours, coatings, preservatives, and substances that bind the medicine together.

The danger here is that some inactive ingredients can have side effects on certain individuals. For instance, if a medicine uses lactose as an excipient, a lactose-intolerant person who takes the drug will eventually go through symptoms like cramps, nausea, bloating, vomiting, and diarrhoeaas if he or she drank milk.

Another thing you need to know about generics is that while it uses an original medicine's active ingredient, it's still quite different from the drug it's trying to copy. A patent does disclose the ingredients used but it doesn't reveal how the medicine is actually made. As mentioned earlier, other drug companies reverse-engineer the patented drug to make their own version, but the resulting product is more of an educated guess, not a copy.

This minor difference between generics and branded drugs normally isn't a concern, but it can be an issue for people who take time-release drugs, which are designed to release a continuous flow of a drug in your body over a certain duration (usually up to eight hours). The problem? Time-released substances used by branded medicines also have their own patents, which means the firms that make generic drugs have to come up with cheaper replacements that work differently.

The important thing to remember when dealing with branded or generic drugs is that patients shouldn't self-medicate, especially when they have serious medical conditions. The seemingly harmless decision to switch between branded and generic drugs without a physician's approvaleven if the medicines use the same active ingredientcan lead to unintentional double-dosing.

To avoid instances like these, always consult your doctor.

Wow, excellent man ^^. Reverse engineered....different fillers...that explains a lot man. I fucking knew they were different and somewhat weaker somehow. Fuck.

Wow, excellent man ^^. Reverse engineered....different fillers...that explains a lot man. I fucking knew they were different and somewhat weaker somehow. Fuck.

Yep they dont tell you this, just say oh cheaper cheaper!! its same what BS.

Very interesting article, Methadonia.

Is it possible to say the source of that info without breaking any rules?

I don't seem to have any allergies, nor have I had any issues before with generic VS branded meds. In fact, nearly (but not) all of the meds I've had filled in the last decade have been generic versions and I've found it strange that over the years my sertraline script keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. Without naming prices, it's now less than a quarter of what I paid around four years ago.

To clarify, that's less than a quarter of the price comparing generic 'brands' of sertraline - I've lost count of the names under which that medication gets dispensed. It virtually always has a Z, X, or Y in its name, though... that's why I try to memorise and stick with chemical names rather than brand names of products.

I have also found generic alprazolam like alprax to be weaker then Xanax. I also found eating two 1 mg alprazolam pills compared to eating a 2 mg bar to be weaker aswell. I always thought it was to do with the fillers.

Very interesting article, Methadonia.

Is it possible to say the source of that info without breaking any rules?

I don't seem to have any allergies, nor have I had any issues before with generic VS branded meds. In fact, nearly (but not) all of the meds I've had filled in the last decade have been generic versions and I've found it strange that over the years my sertraline script keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. Without naming prices, it's now less than a quarter of what I paid around four years ago.

To clarify, that's less than a quarter of the price comparing generic 'brands' of sertraline - I've lost count of the names under which that medication gets dispensed. It virtually always has a Z, X, or Y in its name, though... that's why I try to memorise and stick with chemical names rather than brand names of products.

Sure here is source, maybe it depends on the medication Halif.I asked someone on Antidepressant they said they seemed ok.
http://www.pharmacies.com.au/news/branded-vs-generic-medication/

I actually tried a Roche other day, I am %90 sure i felt more sedation feeling.

Last edited:
Oh good one, thanks very much for that, Methadonia. THis has turned out to be quite an interesting thread.