Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television True Detective

Watching last nights right now!

Edit: This episode fucking delivered

Last edited:
NSFW:
tbh I saw it more as a literal examination of a serial killer who has the time and patience to kill over huge time gaps. Someone who has a sort of loose sense of anthropology in performing some sort of sacrifice or display, but who has the time and patience to cover his tracks. All the episodes have these little clues about what happened. The woman in the river with the same tattoo, the first one that's slightly amateur. How they eventually get some guy, but he's the wrong guy because there's another murder...why the whole interview is happening by...IAD, the Feds, more State police...etc...whoever the two black guys are. Its sort of a similar story to what happened to Krystle Cole on Hamilton's Pharm... on vbs. Some dudes with some money have some tweaker den where they cook up drugs and go looking for women to take back to their drug cave. Add in drug psychosis and weird vibes and the guy or guys dump the body somewhere and then it progresses into weirdness, this local shaman ritual thing. I'm guessing the tattoos are like a tripped out branding thing.

Sure its possible some drug guy read some weird shit in prison and decides its a good idea to kill prostitutes to save his soul or something. I still have to watch episode 5. :D

Well shit.

I liked this most recent episode, a lot.

NSFW:

"Glad to see you commit to something."
Indeed, I was excited to see that this was the episode where things really went along. Marty finally made a decision that tied him indelibly to Cohle - which is something I'm sure he's thinking about now, as the other detectives are closing in on Cohle for -- ?? The stories are diverging!

What majority black cast? Besides that one "devil trap" explaining black dude and the two other detectives, there are no black people in this show. There also aren't any women except for Madonnas and whores, or pre whores (what happened to you Audrey? i'm guessing you die.). I don't really care much, especially because the whores are interesting. I cannot stand Maggie, I don't find any use for her outside of "he's a family man" line. if we don't see her again after her turn at the inquiry, I won't care. I'm going to be really upset if Billy Tuttle is the Yellow King, because that's so fucking easy. Although it would speak to a lot of feelings Louisiana people already have about their elected officials, especially the "values oriented" ones. But seriously, a man close to the Governor as a sadistic satanic drug dealing rapist prostitute murderer? c'mon.

What was the significance of the item that Colton was doting on at the end of the episode? What was the object? Did it have anything to do with the thing that Hart's daughter threw into the tree?

Just want to add that they're laying it on really thick with all the talk about darkness and eternal recurrence. It's like D.H. Lawrence wrote this.

These same themes are fleshed out with much more subtlety in Hannibal, which would be as good as True Detective if it were on cable (broadcast TV always tries to turn everything into a police procedural so as to not confuse the audience).

Last edited:
^^whose Colton u mean cole? I'm pretty sure he was holding more of those bird trap things since it looked like the school was full of them. I think the only real significance of the tiara in the tree is to show that time had passed

I'm gonna be really pissed if the pastor ends up being the killer. I read a few predictions earlier in the season and it seems like the shows heading in those directions, which will kinda be a bummer. I read another prediction delving into the supernatural possibility and I think that'd be cool but it seems unlikely.

I really wanna know what lead to Coles split with Marty if it's not for fucking Maggie. And I REALLY wanna know what happened all those years ago from his sealed files. I don't think rust has anything to do with the murders other than investigating them. Those pictures of him at the crime scene is him following these killings ever since he found out in '02 that they were still taking place. That has partially what to do with what's in his storage locker and what he's been doing since not being a detective

It's also interesting to note that cohle asks for the beer because he's a functioning alcoholic, but also bc he knows whatever he says is now in-admissible

The imdb forum for true detective has some good threads in it...

I heard Obama got the whole season to binge watch over presidents day weekend. What a dick

Thanks for that Bit Pattern! and scagnattie for starting this thread. I feel like I was to high or a missed an episode, normally I'm on point when watching suspense/mystery.

Wolfman- Hey you got beef with Obama binge-watching TV?! It's PRESIDENTS DAY...come onnnn ; P

I knew I was missing something Sunday night when I went to bed. Stupid DVR.

And I just posted to FB about this show and specifically, Lucinda Williams' song "Are You Alright?"

that song is really good. i have a buddy that has a spotify for the whole series, i'll see if i can track down the link. i don't have spotify because i'm fucking retarded.

Good stuff you all are posting. I am thoroughly entertained by this show and story. So many questions still to be answered and its going to be interesting how it plays out to the end.

I'm hopeful that the end of this season/the "reveal" will be anything but formulaic. Not formulaic, to me, rules out that the killer(s) is any of either the preacher, the 2 detectives, the governor, or the retarded guy.
With that said, it makes me slightly nervous that the preacher is played by Shea Whigham. He's enough of a major actor, at least on HBO(Eli Thompson) that it would surprise me if his role was limited to just the few scenes at the revival.
I do hope that's all he gets. Cause if the preacher's the killer, that will just suck. I think they will do better than that. It's just been so stellar, I fear a letdown. IDK.

With that said, it makes me slightly nervous that the preacher is played by Shea Whigham. He's enough of a major actor, at least on HBO(Eli Thompson) that it would surprise me if his role was limited to just the few scenes at the revival.
I do hope that's all he gets. Cause if the preacher's the killer, that will just suck. I think they will do better than that. It's just been so stellar, I fear a letdown. IDK.

so with you on all of that. after seeing the tent revival scene, i cut my beard so i could have sideburns like his :)

someone posted a link to the full sermon @ the subreddit. i love all these armchair detective theories, feels exactly the same when breaking bad was nearing its end.

Last edited:
i'm honestly more interested in what marty and cohle have been up to than who the actual killer is. i have a feeling they've both been working the case secretly together and may reveal who the killer is. not sure what their falling out is all about, but i'm wondering if it has something to do with marty's whore daughter.

whore daughter and not madonna wife? i mean, i guess madonna wife is too easy, but i don't think marty would let cohle live if he did something with his daughter (didn't he just blow reggie leadoux away for the exact same reason?)

whore daughter and not madonna wife? i mean, i guess madonna wife is too easy, but i don't think marty would let cohle live if he did something with his daughter (didn't he just blow reggie leadoux away for the exact same reason?)

yea, i'm not really alluding to him doing anything sexual with whore daughter, i don't think cohle would do anything like that. my thinking is that whore daughter somehow gets involved with the folks behind the murder and cohle maybe does something that marty doesn't agree with. i don't know. it's a mind fuck. best.show.ever.

someone posted a link to the full sermon @ the subreddit. i love all these armchair detective theories, feels exactly the same when breaking bad was nearing its end.

That subreddit ate up my evening last night.
NSFW if you don't want any outside influences affecting your viewing experience.

NSFW:

rZnB6gn.png

Is that Rust at 12 o'clock and/or Marty at 3?

IMIwrEz.jpg

f655d8d0-9a71-11e3-afa3-f9190e588d51_beer-cans.png

I realize a lot of people probably have already seen those images tied together. I'm mainly just hoping to get peoples input as to what exactly the deal is with that "scene".

Last edited: