GOOD trance...

I'm delighted to know that a good trance record jerks a tear to someone else's eye too. Underground dance music used to be a part of my life and now it is my life. I feel like I can't have an educated conversation with members of the outside world sometimes b/c I rarely keep up with current events. People will ask me, "did you see that movie... and I'll retort with "did you hear that record..." DJing has totally consumed me to the point where I often only sleep 2 hours a night and then awaken to the sound of reality... the prelude to a fun filled day at Bank of America. I sport my baggy pants with pride on casual Friday to ensure everyone that responsible party kids do exist. I have somehow gotten off topic but the entirety of this post was inspired by one word... trance. Can any of you relate to this or am I truly a beat freak?

Originally posted by Jody:
I feel like I can't have an educated conversation with members of the outside world sometimes b/c I rarely keep up with current events. People will ask me, "did you see that movie... and I'll retort with "did you hear that record..." ... I have somehow gotten off topic but the entirety of this post was inspired by one word... trance. Can any of you relate to this or am I truly a beat freak?
Trust me, everything you said is felt by all of us in this thread. Especially me! I keep coming back to it, it is uplifting just to read all of the posts. I am a beat freak, music is so important to me. Be a proud beat freak, cause we all relate.

Last edited by a moderator:
damn, my stoned words have touched so many...maybe i should start smoking again!? :)
naw not yet, after april!
~hydra

I lovwe Trancs also, hey you sould check out, Oakenfold Tranceport and any of BT, and Oakenfold Cream fields. I just love Oakenfold. I show him once.
Peace-Michelle

i really enjoyed reading through this thread. very interesting to hear that people feel the same way i do about music. :)

I've had an interest in trance-type music for some time now, and just last night I decided to stop at the Wiz and pick up a few CDs. One of them was "Best of Trance: Volume 1." I cannot recall any CD from my purchases past that amazed/fascinated me as much as this one did. (No doubt the descriptions etc. of what feelings, emotions, and general effect trance can have on one's mind, and state of being, were described much better throughout the posts in this thread...which I'm glad I stumbled upon BTW...I don't normally visit Bluelight's music forum.)
Anyway as being somewhat new to this genre of music I now ask for recommendations for trance CDs I can purchase. You guys/girls seem to know your stuff...now that I have my proverbial foot in the door, where should I go from here...?
-Ryan

You know, I tried to avoid posting on this thread by the shear amount of cheese (ala hydra :) )
Well, I figure I'd give in so here goes...
Like most of you, music is my life. Music is why I wake in the morning, its why I go to work, its why I want to make a better person of myself. I love all music, with trance being my favorite genre. And the reason I love dance music so much.
I can remember when I despised dance music. The constant beating repulsed me, as I favored music such as hip hop and r&b (well, mostly R&B) to the cheesey pop music that which I was exposed. Little did I know.
Anyway, I was reading a magazine known as XY, and in it I found an advertisment for Timo Mass, music for the masses. I went on to napster and listened to some of the songs on the cd and decided I liked it. This was my intro into the lyricless world of electronic music. I wasn't hooked yet, but definately thirsty for more.
A few months pass, and my friend who I work with asks me if I want to go to a rave in NY. I didn't have anything else to do so I said yes. When I went to the club, there was nothing BUT trance music. I was definately put into a different world. (and i hadn't even done any drugs...as I was drug free back then...oh the days). I danced my ass off with my friend when I asked her what kind of music this was. "Is this techno?" I asked. She replied that it was trance.
Trance.
That word stuck in my head. A while after the rave (like a few months), I went to the CD store to see if I could buy any trance music. I had no idea what to look for. I barely even knew what a DJ was. So, I picked up a CD that was on sale "Tranzworld all stars". I'm sure you all know what it is. To tell you the truth, the cover art is what persuaded me to buy it.
Immediately, I put the CD in my car stereo. Everything was good, I like the music comming out of the speakers, and then a break came. I didn't know what a break was, but the music went silent and all of a sudden this sound came. If you've heard of Talla 2xlc's world in my eyes sonic gate remix then you know what i'm talking about.
My head tightened up, I got all kindsa jittery. And I was happy, happy like "i'm on E" happy. I thought I was rolling for a whole minute while the break played...I was in love.
Now, I hardly ever listen to pop music...only trance, or other dance music. And now I want to share this music with everyone I can, by spinning the music that captivates me so much.
Do you smell cheese?

Ok, maybe I've missed it, but in this whole thread about good trance, why has no-one mentioned Platipus!
IMHO the Platipus crew are the producers of the best trance music i've ever heard, from their older and more analog sounding compilations (including work from Union Jack and Art of Trance), to newer stuff by Chab and Viola... Widescreen and Platipus Seven are awesome progressive trance compilations...
I don't know what I'd do without trance, and not a day goes past that I don't listen to at least one track on some Platipus CD...
Also, for a track that takes you on a journey, try Dancing with Kadafi by Infected Mushroom... It progresses through different styles, as if taking us through the different influences they've had, and culminates in a truly wonderful melody which makes me feel as if they are thanking us for something, perhaps thanking us for accompanying them on their journey, or for making that journey possible through our support, or just thanking whatever higher power they believe in for allowing them to do what they so obviously love...

Today is your day Ryan. I have a killer trance cd recommendation list for you. These are the cds that changed my entire perception of what music is. I have since broadened my horizons but I never forget how I got here.
Paul Oakenfold - Tranceport (wait till you hear this!)
Cream Anthems 2000 (the very best trance anthems cd on the planet)
Kimball Collins - ICU Session 1 (This was my first trance cd. It was glued to my hip for months)
Sasha & Digweed - Expeditions ( one of the very best deep progressive trance cds)
DJ Micro - Micro Tech Mix 2000 (hard/epic progressive trance)
That should keep you busy. Let me know what you like the best and I'll recommend more cds from that sub genre. Enjoy!
Jody

yaaaay, what an awsome thread, i agree hydra escp. on tha trance tip, man no matter what kind of day im having i can pop in Sandra collins - cream, or rank 1- such is life (marco v remix) or just anything uplifting and everything else kind of gets drowned out, it is wonderful that something so simple as music can change your outlook so drastically, much props on tha thread and keep it positive kidz
Static

there's nothing like taking drugs and listening to one of those dance compilations!!
it really makes you feel gud!
but when i come down, boy do i need to listen to rock music!

I'm so happy to see that this thread still gets attention.. I love Trance, every single style of Trance, every Sub-Genre of Trance... I spin all types of it, I can't say I'm a Hard Trance DJ, or Progressive, I just play it all.. I have like, 5 different sets that fit together pretty well, when peeps are getting tired of the Hard shit, I mix to some progressive, or some Tech, and it really keeps people interested..
I was listening to John Digweeds Global Underground LA CD in my car (yeah, it's progressive house, but it's good shit, I love all styles of electronic music), and I noticed that people walking, cars moving, trees swaying in the wind, everything matched up with the music.. I don't know if it was because of the speed, of the feeling I was getting from it all but I must say, I drove as slow as I could so I could just watch everything happen.. God music kicks so much fucking ass!!! I'm going to Boo 6 tomorrow, and I am so fucking psyched!!!
Glad to read everybody's posts! This is such a positive thread, the reason why I joined Bluelight in the first place. Thank you all!!
And yes. POP MUSIC IS TOTAL CHEESE!!!

I'm going to Boo 6 tomorrow, and I am so fucking psyched
Ahhhh you are so lucky. I am originally from Philly, my family is still there. Just wish I would've planned a trip home this week unfortunately I am in Colorado right now, where the scene is minimal. But have fun for me X

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicole, I will definately send you some pics or something or put them up on the board.. I'll take some pics for everyone.. Is there gonna be a meetup? that would be cool.
I'm out at 3:30 in the mo'nin..
peace

definetly the best post. it's so great to read so many peoples views of the music.
trance is the best thing that ever happened to me. it's the songs that send chillz thru my body and bring tears to my eyes that keep me alive. it just gives me a feeling thru my body better than any drug ever can

X:
I wouldn't rule out Digweed's LA due to its tag of 'progressive house'...
It still creates a trance like feeling in your mind and on your emotions..
Trance music doesn't have to be melody based to be 'trance' music IMO. Its all about how it makes you feel and how it stirs the emotions. It has a lot to do with how the tracks are put together and the kind of flow that comes from it...
sorry...just thought I'd throw in my little POV on that...
great thread...keep it goin everyone...