GOOD trance...

Hey yea! This post is great, while I have trouble expressing my feelings for trance in words, I must say it is nice that so many other people share the same emotions..including me. My only frustration is attempting to introduce others to the music and have them feel the way I do..it's really hard to express how it makes me feel....they just end up thinking it must be the "drugs" yet I listened to electronic music long b4 I was introduced to drugs.

glad to see so many of you have such passions about music
its a shame in our culture today, that music without lyrics is shunned so much...
as much as i dig my trance tracks with those hot female vocals, its truley the music itself that needs to be listened to/appreciated...
I'd be so happy to see more threads on music appreciation, philosophies on music, and general thoughts on how much music has influenced your lives, its such a good/positive topic to discuss, and it makes me smile reading EVERY reply!!
if i could have you all in a room with my turntables, and you all had your record bags, i don't think we'd ever leave!!!
~hydra

Brock, ya know.. Music really is an anti drug... While I spin, I can't be on anything, or else I'll get so distracted that I would probably just keep fucking up and get all frustrated.. I mean, I love rolling, but I can't do it while I spin.. I find that I do less drugs at raves now so I can watch the DJ and see him/her work it.. You can learn a lot from watching.. I'm not saying I'll never smoke pot again, or roll, but music really is my drug of choice..
peace

Hydra: You may be onto something...hehe ;)
X: Agreed...music is my drug of choice. The only other thing I do on any kind of basis in my life would be weed....but I find that many times weed isn't complete without music to go along with the high. It completes it and makes it flow much smoother...it's like it has control.
Electronic music has so much power to persuade and influence a persons emotions. I believe the producers of today have only begun to scrape the tip of the iceberg as far as this idea goes.
It's a matter of music (which is spirituality to me) and science emerging....understanding what certain frequencies and sequences/patterns of those frequencies do to a persons feelings and emotions. It'll happen....and one day music will be our saviour...
well atleast thats my idea on that....hehe

Customer: What is this?? Who is this playing?
Spaz: This is an electronic music compilation.. It's a style called trance. I mixed it myself..
Customer: Oh you mean on a computer?
Spaz: No on a set of turntables.. You play two songs at the same speed at the same time and mix them together using a peice of equipment known as a "mixer".. The mixer let's you have total control over the frequency and volume of several audio sources..
Customer: Oh, OK... Do you sell this here?
Spaz: No, I'm sorry we don't, but we do have a section where similar music is sold.. Come right this way please..
Customer: Thank you.
Spaz: You're welcome..
(Spaz does a little victory dance as he turns another person on to the wonderful music we call trance.)
This is where I would have givin the customer more info on where they could find your demo/cd.You should have givin her your email and booking info and what not....but regardless,GOOD JOB MAIN~
As for me and good trance goes,its almost un-describeable.I found my first love in electronic music in the funky breaks genre,then started getting into epic/prog trance in its glory days.I loved how a good rum roll would take you higher on the dj's voyage,but soon grew tiresome due to the "cookie-cutter" music producers were trying to immatate.I still love my vocals and trancey elements in progressive house and progressive breaks,now im trying to rmx any good vocal track with a nice melodic break beat(i.e. Rapture Deep Dish rmx works hella good).Well like everyone else has been saying and agreeing to-GOOD THREAD HYDRA.Well I hope I made some kind of sense.
Peas&freshBeets,
dj-T.MINUS

amazing thread, and amazing insight... viva la musica!
music has, is, and will always be my life; i sleep, wake, travel, work, eat, bathe, fuck, smoke and live to music. if i could record my life as one constant soundtrack i'd be happiness personified.
there is no joy in my world like creating music. be it a violin sonata which draws a tear, just one tear from one person in the audience, or an excellent mix that makes one hundred people's night... i don't think there are words which can capture the feeling; that's why we have notes :)
to express what you wish musically, and to do it simply, is our greatest struggle - ludwig van beethoven
no matter what day i've had, what friends i've made or lost, what money i've spent or earnt, what i've eaten or why i've starved, there is only one thing which draws me back and lifts me up above; music.
trance for me represents an ideal; a triumph of beauty over passive imitation, a celebration of life's delights and heartaches, a chance to truly feel what makes us human... trance lifts me, melds me, shapes me as a person. it always will.
how many times have you dropped the needle on a record in the shop, and felt those shivers up your spine... it's incredible how such an assortment of electronically produced frequencies can mean so much, but i swear sometimes my very heartstrings have been wrenched forth, and used to play me as a puppet...
when there is no escape, when society threatens to constrict and conform, i turn to hard, driving trance. when the sun is low, and a spliff is lit, i turn to soft, uplifting trance. when times are dark, and there seems no respite, i turn to aching, beautiful trance. when i'm getting changed and going out, i turn to boshing slamming trance. in short, i turn to trance... until it turns me round.
thank you, to everyone involved with the music.
beauty is abundant - here's some below:
yahel - devotion, sound & melody
domestix & asterix - pure energy
v-one - dead cities
antarctica - adrift, illusion, lazarev
altitude - excession
dj kim - jetlag
MORPH - maximum overdrive
push - the legacy, strangeworld

do u listen to music on the move? i do, with headphones and a discman when im travelling or walking to a destination. when i reach school, i have to take them off cos it feels too conspicious, like people are looking at me cos i've got some bigass headphones on.
but these people who look, dont realise what's going on between my ears, in my head.
i can see the world with my eyes and at the same time, it doesnt intrude upon me because i have my music playing. i look at people going about their business, walking from point to point, getting on with their lives, people looking at me, and they dont realise they are actors in my private music video, my life :)
music, progressive house, is the soundtrack for my life, i depend on it to lift me up when im down and ironically, it gets me down too but so does life. there has been times last year when music didnt get to me like i thought it should, when i played back my old favourites and i didnt respond to it. That really got me depressed more than any other problem that was bothering me at the time.
i believe music is as close as we get to the language we lost after the tower of babel. its the unspoken language of culture which appeals to some primal aspects of our psyche. it strikes a primeval chord within us which has the potential to reverberate through our our physical and emotional beings. as long as there is a beat, a melody, i find my body identifying with it, conciously or unconciously, a part of my body responds, be it my feet, my hands or my hearbeat. music is such an intrisic part of my life, it feels like a communion when i listen to it.
listening to music is akin to reading good prose; it's all alphabets and words... but it is the way they are put together cohesively, lycrically, poetically, that make books or music a joy to read or listen to. i find myself going back and listening to music i have not heard in a while and re-appreciating it, in light of my own personal growth and relating to my life right now. there is no "old" music, there is always a new way of listening to it... music in its paradoxical complexity is so layered, one can always sift through the layers and discover something new. its the little sounds that fire your synapses(and makes me wonder why i never noticed it b4), that every individual appreciates in their own manner.

I love this thread!! It overjoys me to see everyone reply with something positive.. It means so much.. I love music more than anything! It's good to see so many people here do as well.. Mad respect to Hydra for starting the best post I think I've ever read..
peace

**BOOM** This post hit it right on the bulls-eye. Seriously, BlueLight is the only place where my musical tastes and philosiphies (sp) can be met. I started liking elecktronic music about 6 years ago, but didn't really get into the good music until about 3 years ago.
I've always loved beats. When a hip hop songs comes on the radio, I've always focused on the beat rather than the lyrics. Beatboxing is a skill that I've aquired and the best way to manipulate my talent, I believe, is to produce. Elecktronic music = Beats = Me, BOOM!!, I've fallin in love.
Alot of my friends (as many others) don't really share the tastes of music I like, but ever since I purchased turntables, they can't get enough of it. In order to love the music, you have to experience or emotionally break down a barrier that eventually embraces you into a whole other level of music.
Many people see elecktronic music as simple beats and samples looped to make a repetitive song, therefore many get a false idea of what is really going on. You have to physically see the music mixed in order to get full appreciation. Damn I love this shit!!
X: I totally feel you when you explain the joy of presenting electronic music to those that don't know. It's like a warm agressive excitement that you get knowing that someone may feel the same way as you about this wonderful music. It's uncontrollable, and sometimes my peep get pissed when I bumbard them with all types of great tracks and crazy beats.
Hydra: great post, it's about time someone started a dope post like this. ~peace
[ 02 April 2002: Message edited by: PartEkidRepsAcosta ]

but these people who look, dont realise what's going on between my ears, in my head.
i can see the world with my eyes and at the same time, it doesnt intrude upon me because i have my music playing. i look at people going about their business, walking from point to point, getting on with their lives, people looking at me, and they dont realise they are actors in my private music video, my life
you said it!!!
When I walk to school, or ride the bus, I always wear my headphones. It sets my rhythm for the day. It's amazing how I can turn my days around with a simple few minutes of music. I love to sit and watch others and create a scenario of their actions based on whats pumping in my ears.
It also enables me to create my own private world even when surrounded by others going about their own business.
I love this thread!!! Long live Good Trance...
Thanks again Hydra for the first thread I actually check at least once a day for another interesting POV... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you nicole :)
i so need a portable cd player and headphones for when i have to bus to school next semester...but i try to not be anti-social, and when i walk around i make it my goal to meet at least one new person everyday (uf has a big campus)...
but im def gettin a player next semester to chill with on those shitty bus-rides!
~hydra

When I'm wearing headphones in public...and watching public situations....it's like the world becomes a virtual visual....the world moves in rhythm to the music even though it doesn't try....
it's an interesting and amusing experience...
just another wonderful aspect of emotion based music that creates an atmosphere of positivity in mind and spirit...

HYDRA, in regards to your original message:
I give you much respect and thanks for putting into words the feeling that I have had for years now, ever since discovering this incredible artform called trance. It has turned my love for music and dance into an obsession. I have seen no image more inspiring than the unity and ecstacy brought on by this music exploding over a mass of people. I believe that trance artists are the Mozarts of the modern day. My largest aspiration in life is to one day touch the souls of others as I have been touched through this music.
[ 03 April 2002: Message edited by: Ex:L ]

i just read all three pages of this thread and i have to say thanks to hydra for starting this up. just glad to know that im not the only one that loves music that much...PE@CE!!!!
THANK YOU MAN!!!!!

tonight, thinking about all the traumas and problems in my life as they happen before, right now, and in the future, it dawned on me.
music is the one consistent element in my life.
it is the one thing i can depend on, it has never failed me the way people do.
ever since i discovered it, it has been the one dependable companion on this journey, the one thing i can trust because everthing else changes but the moment i hear the music, the moment it gets parsed by my brain and i define my interpretation of what i hear, takes on the identity i project onto it, it becomes mine, it becomes me.
im feeling particularly fucked right now, because certain events keep recurring and i am weary and tired, i fight the good fight, i try even though i dont know why, all for memories and a hope. a single tenous thread holding me up and my mind is fraying right now.
but there is the music still.
and hence this post, i would like to take a moment of your time reading this, and thank god (figuratively speaking ofcos) for the music.
amen.

I didn't really find a spiritual relationship with Dance until Trance came onto the scene 91/92....From then onwards Listening to all others styles just doesn't do it for me like Trance does....Once 93/94 came around I was taken to a higher plane by a new sound. GOA....This is truly a magical music Genre one that reaches deep into your soul.....Please if you haven't heard any true GOA sounds..Hope down to your local CD store & grab a CD...Your mind,body and soul will be thanking you forever......
BCR

Originally posted by BayCityRolla:
GOA....This is truly a magical music Genre one that reaches deep into your soul.....Please if you haven't heard any true GOA sounds..Hope down to your local CD store & grab a CD...Your mind,body and soul will be thanking you forever......
BCR
I couldn't agree more. Gotta love that swirling wall of psychedelia! If you think normal oakenwanker trance is uplifting and spiritual, take some acid and pop Hallucinogen or Infected Mushroom in your stereo. Actually, you don't even need the hallucinogens…psychedelic trance can induce a psychedelic state in its own right.
---5HT-2

Last edited by a moderator:
oh gosh this thread is probably the best one i've ever seen. reading about your experiences and feelings about music made me feel so much closer to you all (even though i dont really know you!)
i can so relate to everything you guys said... it actually moved me so much that i got teary eyes.
music is the most incredible thing for me.
i listen to music whenever i can.. it makes me feel so good! i always tell people that it's my drug of choice. it produces euphoria like nothing else and i am certainly addicted to it because i depend on it to get through the day and if i dont listen to it i feel like i'm missing something.
when i started listening to electronic music, my life slowly transformed. it totally changed me as a person, and my whole attitude toward life in general. (i'm definitely much more positive now)
i love that uplifting, euphoric feeling from listening to good music. it's like the different notes and beats are dancing throughout my body, and energizing me. and it makes me so incredibly happy and i wish everyone could feel the same way i do. it's like i just want to hug the world and show everyone that there is such a great happiness to live for. there is so much hate and sorrow out there and i really think that music can make a big difference because its healing effects can go a long way.
i'm so glad that there are so many people like you out there who love and appreciate music so much! i totally know the feeling you get when u're listening to music in public and everything just turns peaceful and beautiful...
music is the best way for me to find order among the chaos of everyday life. it totally stabilizes me when i need more energy, or i need to calm down. i can experience every kind of emotion through music. it's so wonderful!!!
ooh and i'm soo happy we can relate!!
thank you!!!

No, thank you for your thoughts. Im happy to see this topic still lives.
I know what you mean about a day without music. I don't know how it would go.
Recently, I've had my DL suspended, so to get to work, unfortunately I have to depend on rides from various coworkers, most of who do not share my tastes at all. So, I just sneak my little CDwalkman, lag behind, and walk into work a few minutes later pumped up and ready to go.
It definitely serves as my energy source.
Its almost unbelievable, and not many can dig that. But again, it is so nice to know that others feel this too.