GOOD trance...

i know exactly what you mean... theres somethin about good trance that puts me in this blissful state... its almost like meditation, but with total awareness. I actually wrote my college essay about trance and its theraputic effects on me... Excellent post

X, you are so right...This is the best thread I have ever read, and one that I would like to see for a while...
bumdiddilyump

HA...Vurtomatic...I can totally relate..
Music is always of primary attention and focus whenever I go out to events. And I do the same kind of 'track calling' as you do with your friends....hehe...awesome.
I can relate to every part of your response....
I can be dancing my ass off jumping around, doing slow groovy liquid, finding a little sound in the music and imitating the sound with my bodily movements, or I can be standing still with my eyes closed just watching the colors that appear, and totally forgetting where I am.....just inside the groove....
Kataklysm:
You basically added some more tracks to my list that I could have mentioned had they popped into my head at the time.
And I agree....James Holden is amazing....and he's only 19 YEARS OLD....crazy stuff.
some others that I just thought of:
Airane (James Holden) - Eternity
Narcotic (James Holden) - Innerspace
Science Dept - Repercussion
Sasha - Belfunk
Humate - Love Stimulation (Oliver Lieb mix)
Hybrid - Finished Symphony/Kill City
RuidaSilva - Earth
Brothers Love Dubs - 1 800 Ming (Ruidasilva mix)
Mandalay - Cascades of Colour (on Tenaglia's London disk 1)
Joi - Asian Vibes (Way Out West mix)
Paragliders - Change Me
LSG - Netherworld
ahhhh....MUSIC

Originally posted by DJSethNichols:
finding a little sound in the music and imitating the sound with my bodily movements
that's another thing about music that amazed me when i discovered how to listen to it.
music used to be just that till one night i was listening to yanni with my eyes closed and outta nowhere, it suddenly dawned on me there were all these sounds layered on top of each other, and i could seperate them into "sonic fibers" for want of a better phrase.
and then music just became a world unto its own.
my body would move to the beat or the bassline while my mind was off chasing another sound in the track and even tracks i have heard many times before or years ago never sounds old, there was always a new sound to discover :)

Last edited by a moderator:
btw...great post Hydra! When I stay at my girlfriend's apartment, I have a 26 minute drive to work ahead of me in the morning and you know what? I don't give a shit. Know why? Because that's 26 minutes of fucking good trance music I get to listen to before I get to work and sit on my ass for 8 hours. I'm probably the only one in my office who gets to work with a slight smile on his/her face. :)

I use music to motivate me for work as well. I work in a very busy restaraunt, where good moods can turn bad in a matter of minutes. My commute is 15 minutes tops, but I am very anal about pumping something in my car in an effort to having it flowing thru my veins while I am at work. It is my rhythm, and it makes me feel so good, and so ON Point. If people hit me on my cell while I am en route to work, I refuse to answer because I am "entranced" and I don't want to break away.
Yes, just some more babble from me. There are not many people I can express this to in words, so I may as well let it all out here, ya dig?
Plus I've got lots of papers I should be writing, so as you can see I'm procrastinating terribly.

Yeah, I work in a CD store, and we are allowed to put in whatever we want to... I like to make mixes at home and play them in the store...
The best feeling in the world:
Customer: What is this?? Who is this playing?
Spaz: This is an electronic music compilation.. It's a style called trance. I mixed it myself..
Customer: Oh you mean on a computer?
Spaz: No on a set of turntables.. You play two songs at the same speed at the same time and mix them together using a peice of equipment known as a "mixer".. The mixer let's you have total control over the frequency and volume of several audio sources..
Customer: Oh, OK... Do you sell this here?
Spaz: No, I'm sorry we don't, but we do have a section where similar music is sold.. Come right this way please..
Customer: Thank you.
Spaz: You're welcome..
(Spaz does a little victory dance as he turns another person on to the wonderful music we call trance..)
That always makes my day.. Yesterday I was playing Sasha: GU013 Ibiza in the store, and we don't have it.. Some 40 something year old woman came in and asked if we had the CD that was in.. I told her we could order it, but we did have a section where she could purchase other CD's like it.. She left the store with John Digweed's GU Los Angeles CD and Sasha and Digweed Northern Exposure East Coast CD..
Needless to say, after that, I had an exceptionally good day.. Then I took my lunch break and had a bowl of easy mac and a can of Mountain Dew. Ahhhhh... Life is goood :)

I love this thread
I identify with virtomatic sooo much. I'm slowly trying to educate my friends but it is a frustrating process. They just don't "feel it" like I do.
I only wish I had friends who had the same passion for music as we do. This is the only place where I can come to get opinions, recomendations, and feedback on the music I love.
I started visiting Bluelight in the first place just for this forum. I would visit Music & DJs all the time.(now I'm hooked on bluelight) You guys are the reason my appreciation for music has grown. Whenever I get frustrated because it seems nobody else is feelin' me or my passion for music I can come here and feel right at home.
I can't wait until the day when I have the money to buy some tables and vinyl. I have never tried to spin but I know in my heart that it is something that I will be great at but more importantly something that I will LOVE to do.
thank you guys

amazing thread...
I keep coming back and reading more and more insightful/expressive posts...
great stuff...
Nephill....spill it
X....great job...I know the wonderful feeling I get when someone else starts to take heart to some good electronic music...I just hope it does as much for them as it does for me...hehe
Mexican...makes me feel 'at home' as well...glad ur here.
You can imagine the great joy that came over me after my parents started listening to electronic music (little over a year ago)....as of today they have about 7 different GU compilations, and many other electronic CDs....it's great. Especially since they used to get on my case about 'dance' music when I was about 12 years old all the way until I left the house. hehe....then I start going to raves when I turn 19, they hear some music, they hear me spin at a party...they get into the music...awesome stuff.
[ 29 March 2002: Message edited by: DJSethNichols ]

yo my little sister Julie is into it now, just because her big bro is a (bedroom and house party, as of now) DJ.. I just wish my girlfriend was into it. She's always like: "Would you give up this stupid raving/DJ shit for me? Would you give up your turntables for me?" I'm sorry, I wouldn't give this shit up for anyone...
I wish she'd understand..
She just listens to fucking 80's and Jungle.. That's it.. Oh yeah, and one Carl Cox CD... over and over and over...
I wanted her to come see Dave Ralph with me and she was like, I don't want to listen to any of that shitty Trance music..
I just wish she could get it.. I wish she understood the message..
Oh well.

Originally posted by DJSethNichols:
You can imagine the great joy that came over me after my parents started listening to electronic music (little over a year ago)....as of today they have about 7 different GU compilations, and many other electronic CDs....it's great. Especially since they used to get on my case about 'dance' music when I was about 12 years old all the way until I left the house. hehe....then I start going to raves when I turn 19, they hear some music, they hear me spin at a party...they get into the music...awesome stuff.
wow, that's so cool. my parents dont listen to electronic music, but my brother does. he's two years younger than me and we never had anything much in common, kept outta each other's way till he got into electronic music and started asking me questions about it. and we just started talking and i'd get him to go out with me. we're still not very close but music has become a common denominator with us :)

Last edited by a moderator:
music is my savior. i've always been obsessed with music since i was a little kid. anything from classical to rock. when i discovered trance and electronic music in general i immediatley new that i had found "it". i finally new exactly what i loved and wanted to hear forever. all my close friends now are music junkies. its kinda silly but we're so obsessed its hard to chill with people who don't share my passion. im all for diversity as far as musical taste, but people who listen to whatever is on the radio freak me out! you can't deny beautiful music...it just gets me there!

I love this thread! This should be archived.
Ahhh... GU #13 - what an album. This is the CD that changed my life. I was listening to it once and then just one day it clicked - this is FANTASTIC! Now I got my friend hooked on progressive. This CD changes people!

I've been listening to all kinds of phat beats from as long as I can remember....the music makes me feel good and thats the reason I listen to it.
I can't convince others to like it but its cool when someone else appreciates the music.
You guys are da shit! Peace!

This is the first music post in a while that has really got me excited that im about to express my opinion and have it read by other people.
It is a beautiful thread and i want to thank hydra for creating it and everyone else for controbuting to it, for expressing the way they feel. Hey X it sounds like you do a great job :)
I only hope i can be as lucid - though i never have been in the past.
I remember when i lived in Italy, in Rome i found out about trance music - not popular there. None of my friends knew anything about it and i didnt know where to get it. But by using satellite tv i could tune into radio1 in the uk. Often I would stay up so that I could hear the essential mix at 2 am. I made tapes and recorded what i heard, i played it to my friends - i was listening to this music and feeling "i HAVE to spread this" - it was not a choise for me.
I got decks and a mixer.
2 and a half years later im no longer into trance, im into techno and drum and bass. But not as much - i dont listen to the songs i play and say "I need to make people here this". I still listen to electronic music for at least half the day, and time i can - but im no longer as excited as was. Basically, i live this music now, it is with me all the time, but a lot of the time its like ive been exposed to such an amount of it that ive become immune to it.
Im into techno because of carl cox. But it became more seeing Dave Clarke in Prague, i was there and it was the first time i had seen anyone like him, and the way he dj'd just blew mind, i started thinking people need to here this dj / or someone close. Thats been bad for me, i have been aspiring to become dave clarke rather than myself.
2/3 or days ago i started listening to papua nea guinea for the first time, and it was the first time in a while i felt other people "Had to hear this song". But its opened me up, i really can feel this way still, i feel a huge need to show other people this incredible music.
But i listen to so much different music (really, this is true) and i feel this way so rarely. It doesnt mean i should give up it means i should look and listen harder.
And only when I feel the way i have described above about every single song i play will i be a good dj.
I am sorry for such a long post but i do feel that all the background information needed to be in there as some people might start going on the same route ive gone and this might help.
This post in conjunction with a couple of mind blowing songs is reinspiring me.
THANK YOU very very much if youve read this post

^^^ Papua New Guinea was my first electronic song I've heard in my whole life. My friend played it to me and I fell in love with it! At the time I didn't know what it was called. I was searching for that song for almost three years and then, on one beautiful day, I found out what it's called and it bought back those wonderful fellings I got the first time I've heard it.
P.S. Check out the Hybrid remix of that song - it will blow you away!

Hey I just now read these posts, and I have to agree totally. The first guy said it all. If I can just listen to some trance on my way to work or where ever...it puts me in a good mood. And the deep and well thought out stuff is the best. Digweed is my favorite, Sasha kicks ass too. I like all trance my favorite is The tribal sounding sets, Like Digweed Sydney, Nick Warren Amsterdam, Deep Dish, there's so many...but those styles are so well made no matter where I am even if i'm in a room of people, i'll zone out of the conversation and into the music. I love long trance sets I could dance for 6,8 however many hours straight if its bomb ass trance. And if you get the right groove you can just f*ck sh*t up dancing to it!.....but um yeah.................LONG LIVE TRANCE!!!!!!!!

X - Respect.
Speaking of really good music, check out this older track that I just recently discovered.
Jam & Spoon - Stella (Nalin & Kane Mix)
Good thread Hydra.