DJing ***FAQ*** methods and techniques, bump often

How many records isn't really that big of an issue. Just make sure the set flows well, and start out strong (I suspect most promoters aren't going to listen to a whole CD if they don't like the beginning). The number of records you'll go through depends on the style of music and how fast you mix. I would guess the average trance set has like 7-10 records in an hour? I go through about 30-35 in an hour, but that's spinning techno on 3 decks. Usually go through about 12-15 when I spin house.

bump man yeah yeah fuckin bump yeah alright whooooaaaaa. To much coffee this morning. BTW this thread kicks some serious houchie momma booty. I'm just starting out and it has been a wealth of information. Thanks to all who contribute

Im gonna be scrathin with my friends band this weekend.. im gonna hook up some effects to this shit and see how it goes.. i love buying records.. i also had too much coffe this morn.. bump

Ok this might sound a lil basic but i got a couple of questions. What is the sequence of work that you do while mixing? THis is what it seems like to me.
1) You got ur record playing live, put the other one down and beatmatch it. Ok now its been beatmatched to the other record and is holding for a good amount of time.
2)Now take off the needle and reset it to the place that you want to throw it into the live one and start ur mix however you may want to do it.
This is what it seems like to me. So ok here are the questions.
1) was the stuff i said above remotely right?
2) Say ur dropping the intro of tune (16 bars) into the exit of a tune(16 bars) for the mix. Are you supposed to have a good enough throw that you drop it dead on and begin the mix right then because you already beatmatched it before. This seems like the case to me which doesn't leave much of a margin of error for dropping it in.
Well I hope ya'll get what i'm trying to say and that my babble didn't just make you say "wtf". Its just mainly to do with the sequence of of working while ur spinning thats EVERYONE!

As i said in your other thread, sounds good to me.
One thing to keep in mind: when you start the record initially to beat match, cue it on the first beat of an 8 bar phrase (32 beats), as opposed to some random place. If the tracks are in phrase it reduces the confusion of which is ahead of the other a bit (neccessary when the tracks are at pretty different pitches). Besides, to cue it on two random beats is just really slopy, even if no one will hear it.

i am still just saving up for decks should be getting them in may (technics1200s - i was told they were only ones worth getting). according to some people on here beatmatching comes pretty naturally for a musician. i've had classical and jazz training all my life and played in international big bands and swing bands etc. etc. (haha okay sorry bout the dick-pulling) and have been using some free computer software for mixing mp3s (mixvibes, pcdj). naturally, the only useable method on that is the pitchbending one, so i find this is coming pretty easily. how important do you think it is to learn what most have said to be the 'easier' method?
also: what do people think is the best way to go in terms of mixers? like obviously i don't want to spend a fortune, but i want to get a good mixer which'll let me do what i wanna do.
thanx for all the tips this thread has been great.

Ok, maybe I'm gonna get biten for this one, but here's my input to you, pac.man, about tables. I don't buy what everybody says that you shouldn't buy anything but Technics 1200's. There are now several highly competetive brands out there, and here's why. When the art of DJing was being developed, Technics was awarded a patent on the direct drive motor. As many of you know, patents only last 20 years. Well now Technics has lost their patent, and other brands are able to use the direct drive which was the main difference between the 1200's and other tables. There are now highly competetive tables coming out from Numark, Vestax etc. Some of these tables have features that I really enjoy, such as +/- 10 pitch bar, reverse platter, and digital +/-20. The 1200's do still have a superior torque, but that's not anything that really affects most people's spinning anyway. So, in the end, what I'm trying to say is don't write off all tables except the 1200's as inferior because there are other brands out there that offer tables of equal quality at a substantially lower price.
------------------
Fuck PLUR! It's all about hardcore assfucking!--The stuck-up 8ups
Just remember, I can delete you--Spencer

Oh man, I got my tables monday (it's now friday), and oh god is it fun. Well, my beatmatching is all right, but when I get them phased somewhat close (lasting around 100-200 beats), then I start having problems . . . I'll start mixing the songs together and not notice when they come slightly out of phase, and when they're really close, I can't always tell which one to speed up/slow down.
Well, i know you guys are gonna tell me to practice. But i just want to know that y'all had the same troubles when you were starting out.
smile.gif

dave

ravinrabbi: thanks i didn't really know about it that's just what i been told... so if i don't then need to fork out extra for 1200s you said there were other competitive decks out now by vestax etc... what are they? and what kinda price am i lookin at?
thanks this thread rocks... keep on bump.in

ravinrabbi: thanks i didn't really know about it that's just what i been told... so if i don't then need to fork out extra for 1200s you said there were other competitive decks out now by vestax etc... what are they? and what kinda price am i lookin at?
thanks this thread rocks... keep on bump.in

in that situation, i just look at the channel level. for house/trance you can see the one thats slightly ahead (slightly faster) start and finish its pulse first. it kinda does the wave.

AcidBurn, when you are getting ready to cue your other record to match you say start it every 32 beats. Usually a crash symbol or something along those lines signifies the end of 32 beats. So do you cue in after or on the crash?