• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Tranxene (clorazepate) vs Valium for benzo withdrawal

MagickalKat777

Bluelight Crew
So I saw a new psychiatrist today and she's actually pretty phenomenal but she pointed out something and I'm curious what you all think.

She said that since I've been on Valium for a couple years now that Tranxene might actually be a better option to switch to for tapering off. Now when I was inpatient detox, I noticed that I definitely reacted quite strongly to Tranxene. The 15mg pills that they gave me were much stronger than the 10mg pills of Valium I had been taking for years and provided full relief. I am aware that 15mg of Tranxene is equipotent to 10mg of Valium but that 15mg of Tranxene felt like what 20mg of Valium used to feel like when I started taking it.

She also said that Tranxene has a roughly 12 hour duration of effect while Valium has a 6 hour duration of effect before it starts to decrease.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm so frustrated with my Valium taper... I've been locked at 7.5mg for a month now and I'm so upset about it that I'm seriously considering taking Neurontin and hoping that 100mg three times a day doesn't cause worse withdrawal issues. I don't know what else to do...

So what do you all think? I noticed that Tranxene is available in 3.75mg, 7.5mg, and 15mg tablets so it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make cuts off of the Tranxene much like one would with Valium.

I'm open to any other suggestions too. She seems to think that provided my DME genetic test shows I'm compatible with it, that lamictal would probably be a good option for my anxiety. I've been stuck at 7.5mg since 12/11. My vitals today were not good at all... My BP was 132/85 which isn't terrible but my pulse was 120BPM resting which is 50BPM higher than my normal resting of 70BPM so my psychiatrist told me that she wants me to hold 7.5mg for another month. I started my taper at 20mg on 9/14... Maybe I've just been tapering too quickly? I've been on benzos since 2004 and at my worst, I was at 8mg of Xanax a day, then my worst with Klonopin was 6mg a day, then my highest with Valium was 80mg a day (but that was a crossover from Klonopin and I quickly got down to 20mg) and I've got two failed tapers and two failed detoxes in there as well. I'm getting upset and when that happens, that's when I throw in the towel and fuck everything up with a drug and alcohol bender... I'm really trying to avoid that.

I thought both tranxene (diclorazepate)and diazepam got got converted to desmethyldiazepam if anything diazepam should work 6 hours longer as it's not a pro-drug like clorazepate.

I can imagine switching after years on diazepam bringing effects out in the open again after years of use.