• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Exercise 4 Health, Mental Health, and Addiction vs. I worked all that out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up SO tired this morning... after going to a show and dancing hard all night on Friday, and then no sleep whatsoever, and then 7 hours of sleep the next night, and hiking/waterfall climbing Saturday and Sunday... and then 9 hours of good sleep last night, I guess I'm just needing extra rest. But I still got up and had a good workout, surprisingly the cardio was easier than it almost ever is, and now I feel pretty much fine.

I struggled a bit with my workout but yeah still got through it.

heading off to hatha yoga now, had a huge meal an hour ago, will see how this pans out...

3 brisk laps around the park (why did i feel nervous going to the park?) - which was enough for me to warm-up & break a sweat and breathe a little
+ Randomness :) = basketball speed dribbling drill - haven't done these in like 12 years! Sure seemed like I was going slow (while trying to go like a bat out of hell), but it got me out of breath and got me to focus.

really wanted to do something to bring my physical body back from the dead and keep it here, maybe do some basic calisthenics throughout the day if I am up to it.

If you have access to a gym, I joined a gym 3 months ago and so far I'm up from 130 pounds (emaciated with virtually no muscle, result of opiate addiction for 10 years) to 158/159 and able to lift 2-3 times what I could in each muscle group before I started working out... I'm doing 20-30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical or exercise bike every day (I'm at the gym 5 days a week, 3 days on/1 day off) and I never get out of breath anymore really, except at the end of the my cardio since the point is to push yourself. I'm in better shape than I've ever been, and I feel great. It doesn't really take a lot, I go for an hour a day including stretching at the end, and I'm eating a lot of protein (and eating well in general) to build muscle faster. You could do it at home too but I find that much more difficult to do, mostly because there are distractions, and because I don't have any equipment or weights. The cardio is the most important part, that and getting your core muscles strong.

Canoed six miles.. two portages hauling the canoes and gear.. saw a four or five foot sturgeon in this smaller north woods.. it was kinda crazy to see a big fish like that in this clear river.

Nice man, 6 miles... I kayaked probably 4 miles this summer, it was hard at first and then I hit a point where it wasn't hard anymore, but my companion needed to stop. That's a long way! And a big fish!

I did 3 sets of 10 dumbbell curls, 3 sets of 10 tricep curls and 3 sets of 10 dumbbell bench presses. Feels good to be getting back in shape especially after all the health problems i had the past year. Thankfully i have a weight room in the basement so i don't have to go to the gym plus it's nice and cool down there no matter how hot it is outside.

Gotta love basements for that. :) Good job getting back into working out.

cut the grass and did the weed-whacker.
Today was the first day I was able to do the hill section of my yard from bottom to top without having to stop and go sideways for the top half.

Nice man, 6 miles... I kayaked probably 4 miles this summer, it was hard at first and then I hit a point where it wasn't hard anymore, but my companion needed to stop. That's a long way! And a big fish!

Six with the current.. so it wasn't that bad.. but it was a kinda technical, I used to a easy turning and eddying whitewater kayak.. not a weighted down tandem canoe with a youngster in the front.. so yeah when I got back to the cabin at nine I ate a T bone, to big salads, four ears of corn, and a grip of baked beans. Then hit the shower really damn worked and sore. But with the strong meal and a decent nights sleep I woke up pretty strong.

Eating well is so important when working out hard.. its like paramount to not getting sore and hurting the next day.. I just kinda learned that even though I have been an athlete for all my life, I never realized how powerful eating well right after working it is.

this being said im chilling today.. hitting the gym tomorrow for chests and legs.

Yeah today was my day off, back to the gym tomorrow morning for upper body and cardio!

Eating well is SO important... on my workout days I will eat so much food it's ridiculous. I try to get as much protein as I can. I take 30-50 grams of protein powder and eat a lot of eggs and either beef or chicken usually... if I make burgers, I'll get a pound of beef and make 2 half pound burgers and eat them both, along with a couple of ears of corn.

Struggled today in hot yoga, bodyis asking for rest so rest day tomorrow.

did an 8-min abs workout to wake up in the morning, and then got through half (~7mins) of a 15min butt workout haha in the afternoon, + some walking.

Was surprised at how different/better my stomach area looked after just the first quick abs workout. Going to start working abs/butt/lowerback/etc.Core at least once a day, hopefully twice for a while. My core is so neglected that I could probably see a noticeable difference in a month.

I had never worked out my core in my life, when I started working out 3 months ago. Within a month there was a HUGE difference, and it made SUCH a big difference in how I physically felt. Your core is so important, it's key to your entire body. I got some significant middle back pain until about a month in, it sucked and maybe I was just going a little too hard, but that's gone now.

After tomorow I swing back into full time at the gym.. bring the struggle and its resultant joy and results. I like Xork three on one off.. think i will try that.

I did the challenge hike again today and im proud of my time, 1:17 compared to 1:26 last time.a friend of mine invited me togo again on Monday so im stoked to beat my time! Im aiming for an hour and 10 butwe shall see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.