• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Exercise 4 Health, Mental Health, and Addiction vs. I worked all that out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Case, I had the loose skin problem in my abdominal area too and my mom kept telling me I was going to need a tummy tuck for that. But within a year it tightened up on it's own. Crunches are very good for that. My trouble is, I'm fat again and this thread came at such a good time to get me motivated. Thank you NSA! <3

I've had health issues since I replaced drugs with alcohol. I've put on a good 30 pounds since 2008 so it didn't happen overnight. Trouble is, when I had a mini-stroke episode last year I got too sedentary and I havn't worked out or worked either, just housebound. Dietary changes aren't helping much so exercise is needed but I am limited because of osteoarthritis in my lower back. (my introduction to opiates years ago)

Which leads me to this question: Does anyone use stationary exercise bikes here, if so were they helpful? My dad bought one yesterday due to his own recent health scare. Putting it together will be another challenge. =D

I rarely use stationary bike but I prefer eliptical because I sweat more. I would suggest that if you don't like running then eliptical should be enough.

I have heard good things about stationary bikes but don't have much personal experience, no.

Went to Yoga again today! Later in the day then i planned on but i still made it. So happy I did. It's seriously life changing.. I can already feel it. This is the beginning of something amazing and I just need to stay focused on positives and not let myself be brought down by negative thoughts. Challenging right now, but I'm doing what I can to work through it.

I meditated most of the class today while doing the yoga, was really intense... Did things I didn't know i was capable of without even thinking about it. The spiritual aspect to yoga is extremely intense as well for me. Thinking about going running right about now since I haven't gone yet today. At least for a short jog.

Feeling good physically and a bit better mentally. My depression could be better but honestly my anxiety is almost missing in action at this point.. it's practically vanished. Not sure if it's because i've been diligent about taking my bus par everyday or if its the exercise... either way, its making it WAY easier to improve my depression without having to worry about anxiety too. Exercise for the win... seriously...Incredible.

edit - Yep... just decided I'm go run, get back, sit ups and pushups, shower, meditate and sleep. :)

So I was able to go again to the gym yesterday and today and here are the exercises I have done:

Yesterday - Day 17 of beach body challenge - includes 35 push ups and 100 mountain climbers + 40 min cardio on the eliptical

Today (My instructor's program) - includes 40 min cardio, 3 x 12 times of frankenstein walks, 3 x 12 times squats (with 12 pounds medicine ball), 3 x 12 times chest press, 3 x 12 Bent-Over One-Arm Triceps Extension alternate left and right arms, 3 x 12 times shoulder press, 80 crunches, 60 second plank, 60 second side planks on both sides, 3 x 12 times gluten bridges :)

I checked my weight again and two months ago I was 164 - 166 pounds. Yesterday I thought it was 160 lbs but when I checked again tonight it was 150 pounds %)

I want to lose at least 5 pounds more my height is 5'6 and then tone the other parts of my body that needs toning like the arms and the abs. Hardwork really pays guys so I am encouraging everyone to workout and feel great %)

Hell yeah maya great job keep it up!!!!!

I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks. I only ever had access to a scale at my girls house and that's not happening anymore so..

But I've definitely noticed some gains. still doing yoga and pushups/situps everyday, didn't go running today but decided to have a restful day with just yoga after pushing myself all week.

Gonna pick up again tomorrow and keep at it. Exercise seriously going to keep me going until I school starts on 21st.

specifically so far I've been doing 3-4 sets of 50-60 crunches, 2 sets of 30 sit-ups, 4-5 sets of 10 pushups (sometimes 15 the first set) and 15 minutes of running, plus the 60 minutes of yoga everyday for the last 3 days. I know it's not a lot yet, but my body atrophied a bit after years of heroin use. Making progress quickly though. I literally couldn't do 5 pushups the first few days...

I need to break this hold I'm on. I have not a cent of motivation to get into going for a walk or doing anything that involved exercise. To be fair, Im not even giving myself a chance or a go.

^ that was me for like 5 months, then last week Some shit happened and I found the strength to deal through exercising. I've found though, that looking for a reason to go is the same thing as deciding not to do it - If you just go and don't think about why you should or shouldn't, but simply get off your ass and go, it's way easier.

^I just can't live without exercising nowadays like a week without exercising makes me feel blah and fat. I don't consider it a hobby anymore but a part of my routine (necessity) and has been part of my life.

alright im off to work out.. cardio walk then run then walk.. lift legs, chest, and triceps.. im going to feel great=D

tumblr_mbfxx3JNdK1rita9ao1_500.jpg

Justtt kidding go hustle it! ;)

^ hahaha that's awesome. I can appreciate it having grown up in New Jersey lol.

Stuck with my routine today - Added in an hour of meditating before yoga this time, then the hour of yoga, 15-20 mins of meditating after the class, then came home and went running for 15-20 mins followed by a couple sets of sit-ups and pushups. I'm really feeling amazingly better physically, and mentally it's a lot of ups and downs but over all better. I'm also able to wake up earlier in the morning which is good, not necessarily fall asleep earlier, but I'm not sleeping through my alarms as much.

I feel great as it was a good work out.. I got there, by my own fault when everyone was getting off work, so dumb.. or maybe it was to watch more pretty ladies:sus: of witch there were a ton tonight. But it went well except the style of treadmill I like to use cause it flexes was full of pretty ladies.. so I had to use on that doesn't flex and fucks with my calves and shins.. so i cut down my run as they were hurting bad.. and I decided to skip chest and tries until tomorrow.. but I lifted legs, extension, curls, calves, groin, biceps, wrists.. I feel great but im amazed at how fast I have gotten into shape and am going to start varying my lifting and throwing in pyramids, straight sets, some small sets and higher weights as well.. Oh and im going to take cases lead and do some yoga.. a lady I was seeing was all into it and says it the shit for health and addiction so Im going to try it out.. also I have been taking glucosamine because of some cartilage damage from all the years of hockey and all the years of free skiing.. it working well but I have also noticed that im getting allot more flexible because of it I think.. so yogas getting added as well.

tomorrow will be shoulders, triceps, and chest with a longer run on the right treadmill and check on yoga. I also got this real high end aloe to use after the steam room and shower,, pretty nice stuff.

Hope your guys workouts went well today :D

Do you guys think I could get in better shape and benefit from push-ups? I'm trying to obviously improve my mental health, and my back always hurts from my job/past jobs so I'm trying to strengthen that, plus tone my arms and tummy but I feel like I have no time :( suggestions guys? I don't belong to a gym.

You can probly do the bridges for your back. Simply lie on your back with your arms spread on the ground and lift your butt as high as you can then count 3 seconds then slowly go down. Since you are just starting to do this at least ten will be good for now.

Do you guys have dumbells at home? I beliwve dumbells is the way to go before you do pushups because if you do pushups right away it will be hard as you have not practice your arms yet.

There's also pilates exercises if you would like to strngthen the other parts of your body that or yoga will be helpful as well.

My exercises for today: 40 min cardio plus 90 crunches and 100 tricep dips

Last edited:
ad lib google search for pictures and videos of yoga postures that help with back pain, there's a bunch - and before I started doing yoga I had back pain and was cracking my back multiple times a day - now it won't crack even if I try and the pain is gone! I know you said you don't have a lot of time, but you don't need to go to a class to do a couple simple postures. ;)

Also yes, pushups will work your arms, chest, back, and core. I started making quick gains with only pushups before i started doing yoga too. Now I'm gaining even faster (and less sore!!!) but yeah, pushups alone is at least a good start.

I'm really struggling with this, since a motorcycle accident 18 moths ago almost any exercise just brings more pain and things are getting worse not better as I await further surgical work.

The last few weeks I have started walking my dog around the block in the evening shortly after taking my biggest (evening) dose of pain meds, it is a struggle but the fresh air and quiet time makes it worth while.

I could escalate my pain meds in order to be more physically active but I have concerns that I will develop more dependence or worse fall into abusing them...., rock and hard place

My only suggestion would be to start slow, working with a personal trainer that specializes in rehabilitation. Can be dangerous starting to work out after injuries if done incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.