• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants What gives the better high, Ritalin or Focalin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukebarrington1

Greenlighter
Hi, I've been taking all different kinds of ADD/ADHD meds since I was about 10 years old. I believe my first prescription was Straterra? I'm not sure though. I stopped after the first week or so because I got severely depressed. I then switched to Vyvanse and I've taken it since then, but I recently had a ADHD evaluation and my pediatrician switched my meds. I'm now have 10mg ritilan (Methylphenidate) which I plan on taking in the morning before school (currently we're on winter break), and then after I eat my lunch I'm going to take my 30mg focalin XR. (Dexmethylphenidate) to get me through the rest of the day. I'll be honest, the first time I "abused" my ADHD meds was in 8th grade and it was completely unintentional. I was curious about it so I opened up the capsule (I was taking 60 mg Vyvanse at the time) and for some reason I snorted it, don't ask me why, I had figured that it would either do nothing, take the same effect as taking orally. I left for school and got really jittery and I felt really alert. I got to school and went on with my normal day, but feeling very euphoric and I felt like I could talk to anyone. Ok, I'm going to get to the point, I'm 16 years old now and I've had what you can consider very bad ADHD. I've taken Straterra, Vyvanse, and now taking 30mg Focalin XR and 10mg Ritilan. I've come to the understanding that you can get a "high or buzz" off of these two drugs, and I did a fair amount of research and my main question that I could never find worded correctly is, what gives the better high between Focalin XR and Ritilan? I understand the risks I'm taking by abusing them. And I know that you can't be "safe" about abusing ADHD med but I never take more then the reccomended dose. I've tried both Ritilan and Focalin XR and I want to increase how much I take at one time, and I have ADHD so I'm figuring I would need a little more to make me feel the full effects. I just wanna be as safe as possible about it. Basically, my question is which one gives the better high, and what are the effects of each drug? While being as safe as possible. Anwsers would be much appreciated!

This will probably be closed, read the forum's rule sections for more details...
why were you taken off the Vyvanse anyway?

1. This is a possible breach of rules on BL
2. Please read the rules before posting next
3. Please use paragraphs

Last edited:
the dextro isomer (focalin) has more activity in the brain, it'll get you higher.

since when is discussing the highs of various drugs against the rules?

the dextro isomer (focalin) has more activity in the brain, it'll get you higher.

since when is discussing the highs of various drugs against the rules?

I don't know about other forums but the focus in OD has always been specifically about harm reduction, not 'how can I get as high as I can'. I think there's a fine and tricky line between asking 'what's the most effective drug for X', and 'what will get me the highest the quickest'.

Perhaps I jumped the gun a little, but I'll leave that to an OD mod to decide!

I don't know about other forums but the focus in OD has always been specifically about harm reduction, not 'how can I get as high as I can'. I think there's a fine and tricky line between asking 'what's the most effective drug for X', and 'what will get me the highest the quickest'.

Perhaps I jumped the gun a little, but I'll leave that to an OD mod to decide!

While you're right, straight up threads asking "What can I take to get high?" or "how can I get as high as possible?" are NOT HR and are therefore not allowed, this post does ask about how to be safer when taking these drugs, so we can let it stand, although the title is really bad. Ha

I was going to close it until I read the whole post. It's a fine line indeed. This one just barely squeaked by.

As was said above, Focalin will produce a more pronounced effect, and presumably has less side effects. The d isomer was isolated for this reason, but also to only begin a patent on a new medication in order to create a surge of revenue for the drug company.

Focalin is very jittery and made me sweat. Adderall is smoother and more "feel good" than either Ritalin or Focalin. But remember, none of them are "feel good" when an addiction starts, and it will start, quite possible, without you even noticing.

Even though you have been on ADD medications for years, Vyvanse, and especially Straterra, do not necessarily produce euphoria at all. That is to say, you may not have been exposed to the reward circuit activity that makes these sorts of stimulants addictive. Be very careful.

Also, do not snort these. Things only went downhill when I lost discipline and began snorting my Focalin.

Okay, thanks for the advice. But, I have a question. If you wanted to avoid the unwanted side effects of your focalin such as a suppressed appetite, irritability, and decreased sociability, and instead feel happy and euphoric, whats the best/safest way to them?

Irritability, took a double dose one day because I had a big test, it was my doctors reccomended by my family doctor. Whenever I saw someone I disliked, I had an urge to beat their face in. When, when I wasn't on Vyvanse I was the nicest guy to be around

You could say I have, "severe adhd" and since i have adhd, will it have a euphoric, happy feeling while im also able to get work done, or will it be the same as taking a normal dose? If its not the same, whats the most effective/safest way take it? thanks!

are you okay now?

Last edited by a moderator:
also, just to point out--and someone please correct me if i'm wrong--but snorting vyvanse would not be more beneficial than just eating bc in order for vyvanse to work, lysdexamphetamine (vyvanse) has to first be converted into dextroamphetamine, a process which is not sped up by changing the route of administration (e.g., snorting or iv) or by crushing the pills or anything like that.

I would say the suppressed appetite is unavoidable. It is difficult to eat on both amphetamine and methylphenidate. Food will seem repulsive and it is physically a chore to chew. The typical lack of nutritious intake that results from this will increase the unwanted side effects. You may want to get some whey protein powder and a multivitamin with high absorption.

My advice is to take an even dose on a strict schedule. As soon as you sense a diminished effect from that dose, have the discipline to take a break (instead of increasing the dose). A tolerance could build up easily within two weeks.

I am fine now, but I stay away from these medications. Things got blurry when I started snorting Adderall and Focalin, but after that, my addiction got the best of me when I stopped snorting and resumed taking the medication orally. So be careful even with this route. I was prescribed 60mg of Adderall per day, but often took upwards of 100mg. I wouldn't sleep and would fall out of my chair over and over again when I finally needed to sleep. I lost weight and muscle and felt like a feather even in a light breeze.

If you are seeking euphoria, it will not happen on a daily basis with these meds.

Correct!! Vyvanse if the non abusible form of dextroamphetamine it is also a better form of time release. In order for it to work the amino acid bond needs to be broken in the digestive tract.

Good old Dexedrine ER pills are easier to get since it comes in generic forms. Since Barr stopped making the, they have become very inconsistent in quality and find them to not work that well anymore.

also, just to point out--and someone please correct me if i'm wrong--but snorting vyvanse would not be more beneficial than just eating bc in order for vyvanse to work, lysdexamphetamine (vyvanse) has to first be converted into dextroamphetamine, a process which is not sped up by changing the route of administration (e.g., snorting or iv) or by crushing the pills or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.