MAPS MDMA dispensary

Kittycat5

Bluelighter
I watched a presentation that Dr. Doblin gave on the process of making MDMA FDA approved. He mentioned that he envisioned dispensaries in the future once it gains approval. Is this truly the idea that MAPS sees as how to distribute MDMA or was this just a bit of humor?

I believe MDMA isn't being pushed by MAPS for a medical marijuana dispensary type approval, rather to be approved for use by trained psychiatrists/psychologists on their patients in the clinic not for willy-nilly use as you please.

I agree but this is what was said. I personally think it is a terrible idea if MDMA would be treated as marijuana currently is if there is any hope of it being used therapeutically.

Why would the dispensary type system be remotely appropriate? There aren't multiple 'strains' of MDMA, and medically, it would be used infrequently and solely in therapeutic sessions with trained professionals.

ebola

^ Plus it's synthetic. Its patent may have expired a long time ago but it's still man-made medicine. It would be pointless to distribute it with a dispensary system. It belongs more in a pharmacy.

that's a ludicrous idea if it wasn't meant in humor. mdma carries a risk of dependence, addiction, and withdrawal in addition to being neuro/cardiotoxic. i'm not against it being used therapeutically but there's no way it should be as easily accessible as cannabis for the reasons outlined in the two posts above me. this isn't a benign substance by any means.

Yes the idea is quite ludicrous. I am 110% all for pharmaceutical MDMA being FDA approved in psychotherapy, it is literally a godsend for it and will change the world of psychology/psychiatry and mental health issues.

But having MDMA being made for use by whoever, nah certainly won't see that in this life time if ever.

I went backed and watched. He said he envisions clinics all over the country. Even showed a fake Google maps slide with locations of these clinics. The ideal in my mind would be to treat it as a specialty drug and have one dedicated pharmacy dispense and ship all requests. These specialry pharmacies also have much better contact with the patients to answer questions and counsel on proper use.

that's a ludicrous idea if it wasn't meant in humor. mdma carries a risk of dependence, addiction, and withdrawal in addition to being neuro/cardiotoxic. i'm not against it being used therapeutically but there's no way it should be as easily accessible as cannabis for the reasons outlined in the two posts above me. this isn't a benign substance by any means.

But having MDMA being made for use by whoever, nah certainly won't see that in this life time if ever.

So how is this War on Drugs ever supposed to end? Shouldn't all drugs be legal? I was under the impression that people on bluelight were anti-prohibition. How else are we meant to remove the black market and stop kids from ODing on pills with god knows what is in them?

All drugs cant just become legal because there are so many precautions that drug users must take to protect non drug users. not to mention all of the new laws that people would have to learn and obey. the prisons would be filled with drug user fuck ups. its just never going to happen until the world accepts globalization. but thats never going to happen because people love to be crazy.

^^People on bluelight are, in general (though certainly not as a rule), anti-prohibition, but being anti-prohibition doesn't mean being anti-regulation, and it certainly doesn't mean anyone thinks every substance should be made unequivocally available to everyone with no consideration. Many drugs used recreationally have medical purposes, and many people advocate for treating them as medically therapeutic drugs and not necessarily recreational substances. Personally, I think drugs like MDMA should be available for recreational use, but only with training/licensing that involves education and examination (think like driver's ed, at minimum), and their use should require medical approval prior to use.

There was a time when it was legal and sold openly at clubs, not sure of the problems involved with it at that time.

I mean I think alcohol is probably one of the worst substances ever, but it is the most widely available, would it really be that bad for MDMA to be just as easily accessible?

^^People on bluelight are, in general (though certainly not as a rule), anti-prohibition, but being anti-prohibition doesn't mean being anti-regulation, and it certainly doesn't mean anyone thinks every substance should be made unequivocally available to everyone with no consideration. Many drugs used recreationally have medical purposes, and many people advocate for treating them as medically therapeutic drugs and not necessarily recreational substances. Personally, I think drugs like MDMA should be available for recreational use, but only with training/licensing that involves education and examination (think like driver's ed, at minimum), and their use should require medical approval prior to use.

this

That would be bad ass to walk to your corner and have some molly that is pure avaliable. Be a better world... less abuse from alcohol and dominating people. more empathy. all-in-all isnt that what this world needs, more empathy?

Why shouldn't it be regulated and available? I think the majority of us know prohibition doesn't work. Anyone can buy prohibited substances. Of course chances are you won't be buying MDMA but rather a 'who knows what' poly substance called ecstasy which has greater potential of killing you.

Yes, like KittyinDark says, you study and take a test/course on how to use MDMA safety. Like a drivers or fire arms License, in Canada, that is. Ironic that in the states you can access something that promotes violence with relative ease but MDMA which typically promotes love and empathy is prohibited...

And why should I have to secure services of a psychotherapist which I cannot afford in order to heal. If that becomes the case, it will just be another corrupt, cornered market that is carefully guarded and profited from under the guise of profession. It should be my choice who I want to do the work with and it might be my best friend who is a carpenter. I'm a registered social worker and I'm saying this... But I understand the limits of my profession.

Even if MDMA became legal, the vast majority of people still would not use it. In my experience, most 'mainstream' people are unfortunately terrified of psychedelics--losing their mind.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.

If MDMA was not tightly regulated, people would break themselves even more than they currently are. Just take a look at the MDMA board on this forum. This shows that most people DO NOT know how to be responsible with this drug. Imagine everybody that currently goes drinking on the weekend, switching to mdma and then all of them going through long term comedowns, society would go to shit. I'm sorry MDMA is a great thing when used correctly, but the majority of people will abuse it.

^ unfortunately I see things like this as well. kids doing loads of MDMA every weekend, multiple doses, combined with alcohol and other drugs. Negative consequences are inevitable... The biggest problem is that those people don't know anything about the drugs(s) they're ingesting. This in combination with an escapist party lifestyle is just asking for trouble...

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the legalization of all drugs, but it cannot be done overnight, but in little steps, and there must be a lot of work to educate those people, to promote harm reduction, not only on forums like bluelight, but also outside the WWW.

I think we could have dispensaries if there was enough demand to keep them in business. I agree that we could have training and licenses to purchase MDMA. We have drivers licenses, boating licenses, etc. I think that MDMA can be a part of good times and bad times but that it's not the sole cause of either.

LEGALIZE IT! (MDMA) :)

I will say that someone abusing mdma is mainly a danger to themselves, while someone abusing a reality bending psychedelic could be more of a danger to society....ie getting behind the wheel, or going out in public while experiencing a full blown hallucination. Peole that overdose on mdma are far less likely to endanger others than most any drug i would say, including alcohol and weed.....so it has that going for it I guess. the only person it can hurt is the individual that chooses to misuse it

You're absolutely right. It comes down to self-awareness and knowledge of the population or it will never end.