• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin What are the short term and long term effects of heroin, that you've personally had?

kace

Bluelighter
Hi there. Just wondering what you have personally experienced with how heroin has effected your body, other than the obvious (addiction).

Just wondering as yesterday the drop in substance misuse place I go to looked at my arms, and told me to go to a&e, thinking I have septecemia. This was mainly due to a rash on my arm and all the dodgy looking bumps, bruises where I've missed shots. I'm convinced it was just a heat rash as I always get them, so didn't go to hospital. I really hate that place and was in there just before Christmas.

Last edited:
Collasped veins, sore injection site where a shot of dope didn't hit or go all in the vein. Thats both long and short term things that have happened.

I've had an abscess to the point where i spent three days in the ICU, jail time for possession, stealing shit, lost girlfriends etc. and hot sluts too. they all loved booty bumps of cocaine and coke on the tits but hated heroin fucking hypocrisy lol. woke up in a bathtub and had narcan injected in me. :?

short term= difficulty breathing, long term= dope>surfing, dope>relationships,dope>friends,dope>family,dope>life.... see a pattern? dope>all, you will see that heroin takes priority over everything

OD'd and almost bought the farm. Don't do opiates much these days and it's usually a combo: morphine sulfate insufflated with a psychedelic drug. Never do much more than 30-60 mg Morphine sulfate and even then it's only on the odd occasion. Heroin, I gave that up after almost ODing, luckily I had not used it that much prior (smoked a little bit, IV'd just a couple of times) and didn't have a habit to speak of. Even so felt pretty fucking sick, like a bad flu, for a few days and that was the end of it for me.

Have you read our thread, "the beginners guide to heroin"? It covers pretty much everything one needs to know about heroin.

Short term: "oh this is a miracle drug, ill be very careful to use it in moderation."
Long term: "This drug ruined my life how could I ever let this happen, how could I choose this shit over my (ex)wife, family, friends, everything. Why didnt I stop before things got out of hand? Why do I spend all of my time thinking about how much of a fuckup I am and how to escape my pathetic reality?"

Yeah I've read it, just wanted to know what our members had personally gone through.

Sorry to hear about all this bad shit. :( Heroin is ruining my life/ has ruined it even more. I originally took it as I intended to take an overdose, the suicidalness from tapering off benzos had just got too much. The guy I got ahold of it and used with smoked it though.. It got rid of the extreme depression when I started doing that, then when my tolerance got sky high, started injecting. My arms are so fucked up, collapsed veins and lumps all over the place. I often wish I had just sourced out some needles the first time and stuck to my original plan. My depression is worse now and my life is controlled by this drug. I've done shameful things to get money and can't live with myself drug free. I began a relationship with the guy who introduced it to me, and know that if I commit suicide he will go crazy, start injecting and probably OD too. Argh, I just don't know what to do.

Good idea for a thread, so others can read what others have gone through and think twice before doing heroin.

make sure to stay sterol s much as possible. I got a blood infection from abscess that could have got to my heart and could have killed me n I had no idea till I went to detox to spin dry

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the tumble in sex drive caused by opiates. I also wonder if constantly going into withdrawal puts strain on your heart, my BP skyrockets in W/D. I've also read that opiates may cause balding due to decreased thyroid function but never I looked into it. Chances are your heroin is cut as well so perhaps you may get unwanted side effects from too much cut like DPH induced delerium or something, I'm just goin out on a limb at this point.

Everything is so boring, I don't enjoy anything.

Oh and I failed out of college because of my heroin addiction :(

Have you read our thread, "the beginners guide to heroin"? It covers pretty much everything one needs to know about heroin.

Short term: "oh this is a miracle drug, ill be very careful to use it in moderation."
Long term: "This drug ruined my life how could I ever let this happen, how could I choose this shit over my (ex)wife, family, friends, everything. Why didnt I stop before things got out of hand? Why do I spend all of my time thinking about how much of a fuckup I am and how to escape my pathetic reality?"

This is all you really need to know whe n thinking of trying heroin.

Short term effects of opioids were negligent for me. I was a weekend warrior who swore against the needle, never to take the "plunge"... Until I started needing more and more, which started to rack up a bill for me. Then I found heroin over the summer. Went from half a bag a day, to a bag a day, to two bags a day... Eventually working my way up to around a half gram a day at my most. (If I could afford more I would have done more trust me)

Long term, just as stated above I started to lost all interest in everything. Dope took over all important things in my life, all I cared about was scoring and staying normal... Soon I lost control, and did what I never thought I would do... I bought syringes. And "graduated" to plunging my dope, and that rush took away all that was important in my life 100%. I thought at the time "sweet I can get lit out of my mind and save my doses now!" That lasted about a week. Next thing I knew I was putting as much in my arm as I was in my nose... This eventually led to me failing out of uni, which resulted in my eventual return home... At that point I decided it was time to get help. I had no means to continue this lifestyle and, quite frankly I was ashamed at what I had become. I am now two and a half weeks clean from dope and the needle, and I feel so much better. Good luck to all who are facing this beast, it's a tough one to conquer... And to those who have not yet made this mistake, PLEASE TURN AWAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK!

Thanks brutus, yeah I really hope this thread puts people off from trying it. If anyone wants to try heroin, be prepared for it to absolutely consume your life when you get addicted, get ready to lose your friends and have everyone (other than other users) lose respect for you, look at you in a different way, like you are scum. My doctor, who I have known for years now talks to me like dirt. He used to say to email him anytime, since I've started using he's told me to never email him again. On Christmas Eve I went to see him and he said "Ah, you look shaky. Gagging for your next fix then?", and said how all "us junkies" love pregabalin and asked if I sold it. He then said sarcastically to have a nice X-mas sitting round the tree doing heroin. (Actually I was going through benzo withdrawals as he messed up my script, cutting me a week short, and I don't love pregabalin, I take it for my anxiety and have done since my psychiatrist prescribed it to me long before I took heroin.) Oh, and enjoy having no money if you get addicted, ever, and every bit of it going on drugs as when you're hooked, like it or not you will HAVE to get some everyday if not you face the shittest of withdrawals. Cold turkey is hard, and I admire anyone who has managed to go through the whole of it.

I've changed as a person, into someone I really can't stand and I disgust myself. I thought it was bad being addicted to benzos and tapering off them. I thought I could handle the heroin withdrawals and cold turkey it as there's no actual physical harm like benzos. Fucking hell I was so wrong. There's honestly much better and less life destructing drugs out there.

CaptainKratom- Ah I have no sex drive at all which is frustrating. I'm on cymbalta (an anti-depressant) which pretty much shot it, now it's totally gone.

How I wish I could turn back time and actually deal with my problems (social anxiety and depression) instead of turning to benzos and heroin. Anyway sorry for the ramble everyone, I'd love to hear more about the effects heroins had on people. I've noticed my circulation has gotten really poor, I constantly have dead leg which gets extremely painful. Both me and my boyfriend have this. I also got what the doctors suspected as pneomonia, which started off as a really bad chest infection. I'm pretty certain it's from smoking the gear as I've never had a chest infection before. It got so bad, I couldn't walk up 10 stairs without getting extremely breathless and struggling to breathe. This was just after a month of smoking it in September to October.

I've also had my periods stop since using. Not sure if it's directly related or more to do with my lack of appetite/ lack of money to feed myself which made me underweight.

Last edited:
The second time I banged H I OD'd. I had taken a larger than shot than my first shot (I was banging mephedrone prior, and was looking for a super sedative rush). Basically I stood up after taking the needle out of my arm, put my supplies up, then laid on the bed to "nod out", only to wake up in the back of an ambulance freezing to death. It was scary... I lost my job in the military and let a lot of my family down. Nowadays if I bang anything it will be a pill (yeah that sounds horrible, but I can dose correctly and not have to worry about it happening again). Just stay safe with it I guess, don't re-dose too quickly. I'm not sure if I would ever do it again really.

Long term, and not often discussed : hypogonadal . Pretty sure I'll need to be on hormone replacement therapy pretty soon. I'm 25.