• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Phenibut & Gabapentin - similar modes of action

LegendInMyOwnMind

Greenlighter
I'm currently dependent on Gabapentin. I go into interdose withdrawals in under 5 hours between dosing. I have abused it in the past and am now suffering for it. I have been tapering and hit a wall at 900mg.

Recently ordered Phenibut, and it pretty much curbed my need for gabapentin.

Gabapentin interacts with voltage-sensitive calcium channels in cortical neurons. Gabapentin increases the synaptic concentration of GABA, enhances GABA responses at non-synaptic sites in neuronal tissues, and reduces the release of mono-amine neurotransmitters .... to those who don't know please don't let the name confuse you, It's not even GABAergic .. its an analog.... or so we've been lead to believe...THEY STILL DON'T EXACTLY know how it 100% works

Phenibut hits the GABA b receptor hard. Yet it feels like a large dose of gabapentin at a gram and above. I have only experimented with this dose yet immediately notice that I am not in desperate need to take my gabapentin because I do not feel w/d..

I have heard and read of the dreaded Phenibut withdrawal, but I go through this ALL THE TIME with gabapentin..... what's the difference? Since I apparently have a high threshold for GABA related drugs (including benzos even though I never was prescribed them)

Klonopin at its best postpones the gabapentin withdrawal for a few hours at the most...and I have no benzo tolerance whatsoever. Yet phenibut has allowed me to not need the past 3 missed doses, which is by far more effective then klonopin in this respect.

Is there a cross-tolerance between the gabapentin and phenibut? I don't see how there is.... also Since I get crazy withdrawals from Gabapentin, what is the difference between that and Phenibut withdrawal? At the dose I took of phenibut for the first time, in pure bulk powder...I should be floored...my friend who takes massive amounts of klonopin who ran out and hit me up at the right time and is going through benzo withdrawal ...is describing what he feels like taking massive amounts of gabapentin...which is what I give him sometimes seeing how he always run out of script early. We took 2+ grams each and I was fine.. .... and he is well... doing much better.

Also found an article stating that Gabapentin may very well act at the GABA B receptor site (as does phenibut and baclofen) due to the VGCC binding/activity of α2δ subunit within GABAB-linked presynaptic calcium channels ....see how we still don't know all there is to know about the GABAB receptors/ligands.

"It is possible that GBP interacts with an, as yet, unidentified site on the GABAB receptor complex, the existence of which would explain why the drug exerts differential pharmacologic effects on distinct GABAB receptor subunits with identical agonist binding domains (9,10). It is equally plausible, however, that the inconsistent findings are the result of an experimental artifact or the manifestation of a currently inadequate understanding of GABAB-receptor heterogeneity."8o

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1176314/

I'm interested in hearing some responses to this because I abuse gabapentin as well. I take insane amounts every 3-4 days. However I've tried phenibut and got no reaction. Odd.

Well I have heard people using gabapentin to get off phenibut. I'm not sure about the other way around though.

being dependant on benzos for 4+ years i can say it helps. i get gabapentin but when i abuse it, i get negative side effects. when i run out of am in w/d i take some phenibut to bridge the gap. not a benzo but im glad i have it when w/d sets in. i heard about w/d from gabapentin and it didnt sound like anything i needed to start a problem with. good luck to you OP. i know shit gets rough.

i took around 1.3gs of gaba yesterday and aside from a lack of coordination, i felt nothing?

^I think that's a pretty normal response for that kind of dose in a "naive" user. The bioavailability is just terrible with Gabapentin and there's no way around it. That's why they have been putting out analogs like Pregabalin and Gabapentin Encarbil.

To experience the high and other positive effects that Gabapentin has to offer, you're probably going to need a little over 3,000mg. Preferably, you're doses should be staggered into 3 separate doses, with lipid rich food before and in between each dose.

The typical effects that I get from high dose Gabapentin are energy, ambition, motivation and overall mental stimulation. It's hard to describe really. It's similar in some ways to other GABAergic substances like benzodiazepines or alcohol, but it's not the "full" effect you get from the latter substances. An analogy that I would use is how Buprenorphine compares to full Opioid agonists. You get that stroking of the opioid receptors, but it's just not that "full" effect.

I found gabapentin withdrawal to be very different from phenibut withdrawal. Phenibut withdrawal felt more akin to benzo withdrawal but not as intense or long lasting whereas gabapentin withdrawal was just fucking terrible, it has characteristics of both benzo and opioid withdrawal with the addition of this horribly sensitive and burning skin sensation... the restlessness was also on a whole 'nother level when compared to phenibut withdrawal.

Perhaps there's some degree of overlap, but there's obviously more to gabapentin than meets the eye. The effects while similar are also just as different to me. Neurontin feels unique, far less generic than phenibut and with strange characteristics. To me gabapentin feels "psychedelic" in the loosest sense of the word, it's hard to describe.

Focus and creativity are both enhanced far more with gabapentin than with phenibut, same with music appreciation. For me gabapentin is an enhancer of the senses whereas phenibut gives the illusion of being one by providing a subtle stimulation and talkativeness over a typical GABA dulling. Subjective effects poorly described by a single individual, however.

Obviously what I receive from these drugs doesn't apply to everyone, but the fact that the differences between the two are as prominent as they are for me it makes me lean to the opinion that gabapentin's main effects stem from far more than GABAb agonism like phenibut and baclofen... but then again were talking about potentially new GABAb sub-units here. Hate to say it but we're not gonna get an answer until studies are done... somehow I doubt that will be anytime soon. Being that these are three drugs that I take regularly, especially baclofen and gabapentin, I'll be patiently waiting...

Last edited:
I think they may be similar, but, I'm convinced that phenibut has a stronger dopamine component then both lyrica and gabapentin.

Phenibut and gabapentin act on different receptors. Phenibut is GABA-B agonist, gabapentin is actually a calcium channel modulator (despite it having GABA in the structure, it doesn't have activity at GABA receptors.)

Phenibut and gabapentin act on different receptors. Phenibut is GABA-B agonist, gabapentin is actually a calcium channel modulator (despite it having GABA in the structure, it doesn't have activity at GABA receptors.)
So in theory they shouldn't affect eachother (cross tolerance, potentiate ect) ? I will try both on the same day soon and report back. 4200 gabapentin over 4 hours with 1g phenibut taken 2 hours after staring the GABA.

^my thoughts. I'm scripted 270 a month and its meh. I also take phenibut and its okay.

All I can say is gabapentin helped me through phenibut withdrawal very noticeably. After I was done with phenibut I would occasionaly still take gabapentin. I only would take 600-1200 mgs and I noticed I had more focus, less brain fog, and could continue conversations easily. Stimulating and calming. For me, high doses aren't as enjoyable, but I like subtle highs that just give me a little push that allow me to live better.

Gabapentin 2400 mg and 4grams phenibut is the greatest experience I've ever had. :) will post tomorrow and tell if tolerance buildup occurred.

I take tons of gabapentin, going thru 90 of the 400mg in 3 days. I might get a script once or twice a month. Never noticed any withdrawal. I get withdrawal after taking my last 1mg dose of klonopin within 24 hours and I'm on methadone maintenance. But I've never NOTICED Gabapentin wd. Only thing I do know is gaba tolly goes up so fucking fast.

Gabapentin 2400 mg and 4grams phenibut is the greatest experience I've ever had. :) will post tomorrow and tell if tolerance buildup occurred.

You're going to fuck yourself over, if you really want to utilize phenibut and the magic it can provide for the long haul. Dosing 4 gs with gabpentin is not going to do you any good.

Just saying, I prize the potential it has, and I stride not to tarnish the benefits I can make use of.

Agreed. I'm definitely suffering the next day. No withdrawal symptoms felt but my hands keep getting ticks in them. Like when I hold my phone it shakes from time to time.

^ Ah the ol' myoclonic jerks.. that means you are taking way too much.

Could be the gabapentin more so then the phenibut, I know Lyrica used to make me kinda twitchy/shaky.