• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Propylhexedrine (Benzedrex)

SuperPsych

Bluelighter
I figured if I was researching I might as well gather the information together. I know that info on Propylhexedrine isnt a priority, but I hope that use can be found for this at some point

The Basics

Introduction and Basic Description

Propylhexedrine is a stimulant drug used mainly to treat nasal decongestion due to its vasoconstrictive qualities
Source: http://www.erowid.org/pharms/propylhexedrine/propylhexedrine.shtml

Timeline of Experience
Onset: 20-60 minutes
Come Up: 15-45 minutes
Peak: 1-3 hours
Coming Down: 1.5-3 hours

This timeline is tentative. Some people experience much more prolonged come up period and/or come down period. After effects can last anywhere from a couple of hours to over a day.

Effects

Positive -
Mild to extreme mood lift, euphoria
Increased sense of well being
Sense of inner peace
Increased awareness & appreciation of music
Increased alertness
Increased motivation
Increased sociability/talkativeness
Increased sex drive
Some report similarities to MDMA including Empathy and tactile enhancement

Neutral-
Reduced Appetite
Dilated Pupils
Increased Sweating
Both Mental and Physical stimulation
Some people have reported that they have noticed a ‘trippy’ or psychedelic edge to the experience

Negative-
Headaches
Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
Vasoconstriction
Increased Blood Pressure
Heart Palpitations
Dry Mouth
Jaw Clenching
Some have reported difficulty urinating
Anxiety
Insomnia
Nausea
Mild to strong urge to redoes
Risk of Addiction
Lavender scented burps when using Benzedrex: This can lead to nausea and even Vomiting
Brainstem Dysfunction, Transient diplopia, and even death are all possible when Propylhexedrine is injected intravenously

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylhexedrine, Erowid Experience Reports, http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/154078-propylhexedrine-(Benzedrex)?highlight=propylhexedrine

Dosages

Propylhexedrine is typically taken orally. There are reports of intravenous use, but such use is very uncommon and dangerous (see 'Method of administration' section). Rectal use has been reported but is also very uncommon.

"Rectal use of an acidic extraction, another irritating solvent, or possibly the oils in the benzedrex preparation itself could irritate the anus and/or colorectal membrane... Oil of menthol will at the very least cause significant 'cooling' and numbing, perhaps burning too."
-ebola?

Extremely tentative! Required dosages seem to vary greatly between individuals. What might be a Light experience for one person might be a bit too much for the next. Required dosages range anywhere from 125mg -500+mg. It is recommended that you do not take anymore than 125mg your first time trying it

Oral Propylhexadrine Dosages:
Light: 125mg – 250mg
Common: 200mg – 300mg
Strong: 250mg+
warning: people have experienced dangerous physiological symptoms (warranting medical attention and threatening death in a couple of cases at doses around 500 mg+)...this compound is not sufficiently safe for dosages to be pushed very far upward; if a 'large' amount doesn't get you where you want to be, then this compound isn't for you.

Method of administration
Intravenous Propylhexedrine Use:
Using Propylhexedrine Intravenously can have some very serious side effects. There are at least 2 cases where IV Propylhexedrine use has led to definite brainstem dysfunction. Transient diplopia is a common side effect of intravenous Propylhexedrine use. There are also multiple deaths linked to IV Propylhexedrine abuse

Sources:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2877725
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/45496

Slang
Benzedrex, "Stove-Top" Meth

Problems

Contraindications and Overdose
Propylhexedrine should not be used if an MAOI has been used in the past 14 days, or is being currently used, as this can lead to a hypertensive crisis. People with cardiac disease should not use propylhexedrine.
Additionally, drugs such as stimulants and sympathomimetics should not be taken along with propylhexedrine, as this can lead to potentially dangerous spikes in blood pressure and irregular heart rhythms.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylhexedrine

"These combinations are likely more dangerous with propylhexedrine than other stimulants, as 'p-hex' is more adrenergic than other recreational stimulants."
-ebola?

Negative Short-Term Side Effects
The side effects of Propylhexedrine are similar to those of similar stimulants. These can include tachycardia, increased blood pressure, jaw clenching, insomnia, and reduced appetite among other things. Headaches are fairly common with Propylhexedrine, most likely due to it being a powerful vasoconstrictor.

Addiction and Withdrawal Issues

Propylhexedrine has the same addiction potential as other powerful stimulants such as amphetamine

Harm Reduction
Users dosages vary greatly, so it is recommended that you do not dose any higher than 125mg for your first time. There have been reports where people have gotten stronger effects than desired from 250mg and reports where people have had light experiences with 500mg.

"This variability in response cannot be reliably and validly predicted by known tolerance to other stimulants."
-ebola?

Legal Issues
Propylhexedrine (Benzedrex) is unscheduled in the United States and is approved for over-the-counter sale. Propylhexedrine is legal to buy, possess, and ingest without a license or prescription. Sales for human consumption are regulated by the FDA and each formulation or product requires specific FDA approval.
Propylhexedrine is Schedule V in Canada
Source: http://www.erowid.org/pharms/propylhexedrine/propylhexedrine_law.shtml

History of Drug
It appears that Propylhexedrine was placed in Schedule V in the United States in May 4, 1988 (53 FR 10869) and then removed from Schedule V on Dec 3, 1991 (56 FR 61372)
Source: http://www.erowid.org/pharms/propylhexedrine/propylhexedrine_law.shtml

Preparation
The most common source of Propylhexedrine are Benzedrex Inhalers. Benzedrex is marketed as a nasal decongestant due to it's powerful vasoconstrictive properties. Users crack the inhaler open to get to the cotton inside that contains the Propylhexedrine. The cotton swab is usually cut up and then swallowed or placed into a liquid such as soda or lemon juice for an 1-24 hours to extract the Propylhexedrine.

"Swallowing the cotton itself is dangerous, presenting the possibility of intestinal impaction. Also, at least anecdotally, extraction in an acidic solution appears more effective than use of something like water (which makes sense, as benzedrex has its phex suspended in an oily liquid, right, and thus in the freebase form, I infer. . .)"
-ebola?

Mechanism of Action
The pharmacology of propylhexedrine is not fully understood, but it appears to act as an alpha-adrenergic receptor agonist, as well as reverse the transporters for dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin, leading to a release of monoamines from presynaptic vesicles into the synaptic cleft. The increased level of monoamines within the synapse results in increased activity at these receptors. Additionally, Propylhexedrine appears to antagonize the VMAT2 transporter, leading to a further increase in the aforementioned monoamines. The pharmacological actions of propylhexedrine are similar to that of structurally similar stimulants such as amphetamine.

"The research necessary to understand what propylhexedrine does in the brain has not yet been conducted. I hunted down the above cited references (moving from wikipedia to drugsbank.ca to the primary sources they cite), and I couldn't find any credible research demonstrating any binding affinities or efficacies. However, given trends in SAR and phex's noted adrenergic efficacy, it's likely that phex acts similarly to meth, but binding way more weakly, also causing release with far less efficacy, crossing the BBB mediocrely, and exerting way more direct agonism as an epinephrine-mimic. So p-hex might actually release a non-trivial amount of 5ht, but who knows. Similarly, we should expect p-hex to act as a substrate for both TAARs and VMAT2 (a la (meth)amphetamine again, but more weakly...). Also, as a point of correction, amps act as substrates at VMAT2 that cause reversal and efflux, not just as simple inhibitors"
-ebola?

Trip reports and links

Trip Reports
Erowid Experience Reports:
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.cgi?S1=389

Links
http://www.erowid.org/pharms/propylhexedrine/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylhexedrine
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/154078-propylhexedrine-(Benzedrex)

A special thanks to ebola? for his wonderful contributions to the page!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post and the resulting nostalgia. I used to have a bag with around 50-75 empty plastic inhalers. I kept thinking I'd be able to use them for something someday, but ended up throwing them in the garbage. Benzedrex is one of the better things available OTC -- right ahead of cough syrup but just behind peppermint extract.

And yes -- I remember the burps. I think the stuff gets into one's system in a manner that it is secreted in mucous and saliva, leaving the user tasting its bouquet until they finally go to sleep.

SuperPsych.... thank you so much..... You and HCl deserve awards for your dedication... I will add this to the Wiki this afternoon. Can you create any more content for any other topics? would you want to?

It looks AWESOME.

Much love,
~ VAYA

SuperPsych.... thank you so much..... You and HCl deserve awards for your dedication... I will add this to the Wiki this afternoon. Can you create any more content for any other topics? would you want to?

It looks AWESOME.

Much love,
~ VAYA

Thanks a lot! I would very much like to create more content for the Wiki. I finally feel like I can give back information to the community that has helped me so much. I won't be around a computer for about a week, but I will probably start working on some more afterwards. It's a wonderful project for those long nights with nothing to do. Like I said, I spend a lot of my free time doing research, I might as well gather it in one place.

Thanks again for the response, gives me drive to make more!

Thanks. This is quite well put-together. A couple of points though:

Timeline of Experience
Onset: 20-60 minutes
Come Up: 15-45 minutes
Peak: 1-3 hours
Coming Down: 1.5-3 hours

This varies a lot. I personally take a lot longer to climb to peak and experience a far more protracted comedown (often extending into the next day, at least in terms of perceived adrenergic effects, particularly with use a couple of days in a row).

Dosages
Propylhexedrine is typically taken orally. There are reports of intravenous use, but such use is very uncommon and dangerous (see 'Method of administration' section). Rectal use has been reported but is also very uncommon.

I would add that rectal use of an acidic extraction, another irritating solvent, or possibly the oils in the benzedrex preparation itself could irritate the anus and/or colorectal membrane. Heh, I have yet heard no reports of rectal use. . .oil of menthol will at the very least cause significant 'cooling' and numbing, perhaps burning too.

Propylhexedrine should not be used if an MAOI has been used in the past 14 days, or is being currently used, as this can lead to a hypertensive crisis. People with cardiac disease should not use propylhexedrine.
Additionally, drugs such as stimulants and sympathomimetics should not be taken along with propylhexedrine, as this can lead to potentially dangerous spikes in blood pressure and irregular heart rhythms.

I would also note that these combinations are likely more dangerous with propylhexedrine than other stimulants, as 'p-hex' is more adrenergic than other recreational stimulants.

Harm Reduction
Users dosages vary greatly, so it is recommended that you do not dose any higher than 125mg for your first time. There have been reports where people have gotten stronger effects than desired from 250mg and reports where people have had light experiences with 500mg

I would add that this variability in response cannot be reliably and validly predicted by known tolerance to other stimulants.

Preparation
The most common source of Propylhexedrine are Benzedrex Inhalers. Benzedrex is marketed as a nasal decongestant due to it's powerful vasoconstrictive properties. Users crack the inhaler open to get to the cotton inside that contains the Propylhexedrine. The cotton swab is usually cut up and then swallowed or placed into a liquid such as soda or lemon juice for an 1-24 hours to extract the Propylhexedrine.

I would add that swallowing the cotton itself is dangerous, presenting the possibility of intestinal impaction. Also, at least anecdotally, extraction in an acidic solution appears more effective than use of something like water (which makes sense, as benzedrex has its phex suspended in an oily liquid, right, and thus in the freebase form, I infer. . .)

Mechanism of Action
The pharmacology of propylhexedrine is not fully understood, but it appears to act as an alpha-adrenergic receptor agonist, as well as reverse the transporters for dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin, leading to a release of monoamines from presynaptic vesicles into the synaptic cleft. The increased level of monoamines within the synapse results in increased activity at these receptors. Additionally, Propylhexedrine appears to antagonize the VMAT2 transporter, leading to a further increase in the aforementioned monoamines. The pharmacological actions of propylhexedrine are similar to that of structurally similar stimulants such as amphetamine.

I would note additionally that the research necessary to understand what propylhexedrine does in the brain has not yet been conducted. I hunted down the above cited references (moving from wikipedia to drugsbank.ca to the primary sources they cite), and I couldn't find any credible research demonstrating any binding affinities or efficacies. However, given trends in SAR and phex's noted adrenergic efficacy, it's likely that phex acts similarly to meth, but binding way more weakly, also causing release with far less efficacy, crossing the BBB mediocrely, and exerting way more direct agonism as an epinephrine-mimic. So p-hex might actually release a non-trivial amount of 5ht, but who knows. Similarly, we should expect p-hex to act as a substrate for both TAARs and VMAT2 (a la (meth)amphetamine again, but more weakly...). Also, as a point of correction, amps act as substrates at VMAT2 that cause reversal and efflux, not just as simple inhibitors

ebola

Thanks for the input and digging a bit deeper! Those are all very good points. As for the rectal use I found 1 report that I can remember where somebody did this and I found multiple inquiries. The pharmacology and chemistry of Propylhexedrine (and a lot of other psychoactives) are a bit beyond me at this point. I'll edit my post with the information that you provided. As for now I will quote you, let me know if you want me to change it. You can elaborate a bit more elegantly than I can :) These are things that I'll try to keep in mind when working on other wikis

Last edited:
Why thanks. You can just paste in my additions as you see fit. Heh, you can name me as a (lesser) co-author, if you'd like (your discretion).

ebola

It is a decent stimulant given the fact that it is OTC and relatively inexpensive (they cost 5 dollars at the grocery store, 7 at walgreens where im at in Pennsylvania).

you can just pull the inhaler nozzle off with your hands, rip the cotton into 4-6 pieces with your hands, drop them into a bottle with just enough coca-cola or lemon juice (anything acidic really) to soak them in, and let it sit for a while.

how long is kind of up in the air imo, Ive used it once after only waiting an hour and it worked very well and I used it after letting it sit for around 24 hours and it worked a tiny bit better I guess but it was more of just a longer peak I guess, not so much a longer overall high. comedown seemed to be worse a tiny bit as well.

the come down was basically the same as on adderall imo

It is basically over-the-counter adderall if you dont use it enough to form a tolerance, I couldnt imagine doing it every day. Also, for what it's worth, it makes you have to piss like crazy!

I think the problem with propylhexedrine is that it is so unpredictable, in terms of desired effects vs. undesired effects. It could be super euphoric or just make your heart race and keep you up for two days. I know it has ruined lavender for me forever.

ebola?, I'll go ahead and copy your additions into this.

On a related note, check your PMs please!

once upon a time, in highschool, i heard tale of a guy making some sort of "bath tub crank" or so I was told, by extracting some nasal decongestant from cotton swabs contained in some over the counter pharmacutical product. could this possibly be true? and would it be benzedrex that this butt-munch was extracting?

It's plausible, though it would be pretty weak. Then again, Europeans tolerate speed that's truly cut to shit.

ebola

I wouldn't recommend physical activity on this stuff. I've taken 300mg and went to work a 5 hour shift in a meat department. I swear my ass off, even in the freezer. Major BP increase.

I extracted the Propylhexedrine once and I IV'd it. It was oddly a lot like MDA, except sweatier. I could have died that day, I'm lucky to be alive. Don't be foolish like me!

This is some serious stuff, i used to do 6-7 inhalers 2-3 times a day 3-4 days a week and only slept twice a week. On a side note i believe to amount of time it takes to kick in and how long it lasts are based on what you ate. On an empty stomach it would last me 4-5 hours max but on a very full stomach it would last me 11 hours sometimes. Good stuff right here

I dont understand the arithmetic here...do you mean you took six to seven inhalers per dose, two to three doses per day, and three to four days of use a week, so thirty-six to eighty-four inhalers per week? This seems nigh implausible.

ebola

Last edited:
Ya, I used to do ALOT of mdma and switched to this. Then when I lost my job all I did was play video games and do the inhalers. I wud soak 5 or 6 in coke an when it was done I wud drink it. Then when it started to west off I opened a couple more so I wud stay up for 60 hours at a time and then crash for like 25 and then woke up and eat and do it again. I did that for like 4 months up until recently. After I stopped, I was shot, I was so out of shape from not doing anything but playing video games, and this stuff makes your heart so weak, I can barely walk up stairs without sweating. Stuff is dangerous but good

This is not a good mdma substitute. Sure, it might release some serotonin, but this is akin to trying to take enough meth to feel 'rolley', only way more dangerous. Direct adrenergic agonists tend to have comparatively low therapeutic indices. What is more, p-hex's adrenergic effects seem to outlast the original high by far, making binges all the more dangerous (we can call this the 'mephedrone effect').

ebola

I literally spent about 2 hours looking for a good solid answer and im sure many many people are asking the same question. Will Benzedrex show up on a drug test as methamphetamine? And many of you may be thinking that propylhexedrine (hexahydro"methamphetamine") isnt technically an amphetamine. Which is exactly what I kept telling myself. I could sit here all day and be scientific but I came here for one reason and thats to warn you that YOU WILL FAIL a drug test for METHamphetamine. As for it being a false positive, im not to sure but the test definately thinks I bathed in a pool of meth. https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/125862...2/14380428517/ Just make sure you always keep in mind that this stuff will cause a positive and to never even think about doing it if you know you have a drug test coming up via probation, job ir whatever. In conclusion benzedrex isnt as foolproof as we all thought, it can bite you in the *** as quick as you can get the cotton out. I hope this helps clear some peoples mind as it did mine.