• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health [MEGATHREAD] Auditory Hallucinations

ad lib

Ex-Bluelighter
[MEGATHREAD] Auditory Hallucinations Support

This thread is for those of you who may be suffering from auditory hallucinations, or "hearing voices". It's a place to discuss what you're hearing and feeling, and to get support from others who are suffering also. So please, share your experiences.

Here is some information about auditory hallucinations for those who may not be familiar with them-

First, what are the voices and who hears them?

Hearing voices is often thought of as a symptom of a serious mental illness. But research on the experiences of the general population shows that lots of people hear voices, and the majority of them are not mentally unwell. It is a common human experience.

Hearing a voice when no-one is present with you, or which other people with you cannot hear, is considered to be a hallucination. This does not make it abnormal – it’s just a word for a perception you may have that is not shared by those around you. You may also see things that others can’t see. You may experience touch, smell or taste sensations which you cannot account for in usual everyday ways. Some people may not realise that many other people do not have such experiences.

People have many different experiences of hearing voices. Here are some examples:

It’s quite common to hear your name called when there is no-one with you. You may look round to see where the voice came from, and wonder why you heard it, but if nothing else happens you will probably just shrug it off as ‘just one of those things’.

You may hear or see things as you are falling asleep.

You may experience the voices as being in your head, or you may feel that they are coming from outside and heard through your ears like other sounds.

You may believe that you are hearing other people’s thoughts.

The voices may be louder or more frequent if you are feeling stressed.

You may experience unkind and threatening voices that tell you to do dangerous or unacceptable things or try to control you.

You may hear a kind supportive voice.

Sometimes there may be more than one voice and they may talk or argue with each other.

Why do people hear voices?

Here are a few reasons why:

Trauma
Mental illness
Drugs
Lack of sleep
Physical illness
Hunger
Bereavement

(Source)

I ask for everyone to please respect each other, adhere to forum guidelines and the Bluelight User Agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
PlurLif3 said:
I started using drugs in high school. It went from weed to mushrooms and mdma rather quickly. I've used mushrooms four times and mdma like one hundred. I didn't end up in a good place. I've been hospitalized several times and now I spend most of my days lying in bed trying not to listen to the voices in my head. I was wondering is it possible for the voices to go away after stopping drugs for a long time?

Hey Plur.. Welcome to Blue Light. When people talk about voices in their head they can mean so many different things. Are you referring to audio hallucinations?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ OP if you haven't seen a doctor for it or have taken any medication, please do so or try it.

I know that the brain can heal over time and laying off drugs and complete abstinence will bring you back to normal.

I was diagnosed schizoaffective but my current pdoc doesn't belive I have it so he took me off of meds. Right now I'm dealing with not even getting out of bed and craving drugs... It's pretty bad.

Im sorry to hear that you are struggling with this.<3 Did the symptoms get worse when the medications were removed?

Thanks, the meds never got rid of the voices. I belive I have substance induced psychosis.

I would maybe find another doc and get another opinion. Even if the psychosis is substance induced there are meds that can be prescribed that might be helpful...but I wouldnt think that you should continue to have to lie in bed everyday and experience this. What meds were you prescribed? What is your current doc doing/prescribing if he took you off of your previous meds?

You're right about that, one thing that is sad is the fact that I'm so disappointed that I can't roll anymore... Honestly I'm not sure what he's doing I guess he wants to know what I'm like off meds. I've been on risperidone, lamictal, ablify and all sorts of meds. I just hope I can stop myself from rolling anymore. I love the way music sounds on it.

When i was doing ecstasy i also heard voices and i still do when my brain is idle, jsut last night i heard a women say "he didnt say that!!!". it gets better after awhile except i stopped when symptoms got worse when i develloped psychosis from mixing meth, molly, weed and lyrica. it does get better it just takes a long time. i listen to music 24/7 again without e and thats why i was taking it also. the easiest way to stop doing drugs is cut the toxic people out of your life, change your phone number etc. they really will not care that much and if they do theyll get over it. find a hobby that uses your brain which in turn will help it heal just by it doing something other than being idle, try doing sudoku. was also on risperdal for a short time, didnt act fast enough so i switched to zyprexa. its very fast acting but also made me gain about 40 pounds in 4 months. was also on lamictal for a short time but it made my face look like i was on drugs so i stopped taking that. i switched that to trileptal which did not give me weird dried out skin.

Yeah I'd recommend you get off the drugs first, especially pot, psychedelics, dissociatives, stimulants. Then there are two options really... If the voices are really bad you might have to get some neuroleptics from your doc. Or you could just learn to live with the voices.

It's hard to get a prognosis for your psychosis. It could be a drug induced psychosis and go into spontaneous remission once you are off the drugs. It could just as well be schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder which has a tendency to accompany you throughout your life. Even then though, symptoms can come over you in waves with full remission between episodes, they could be progressing constantly, progressing in waves or even go into spontaneous remission.

Only time will tell. What's definitely important is staying off the substances. If you go seek a psychiatrist he WILL prescribe neuroleptics. It should be noted though that the choice to go into such treatment should be subject to some consideration. There is no doubt they are extremely effective for treatment of your positive psychotic symptoms (e.g. voices). They can have serious somatic side effects though, something that's usually entirely disregarded by psychiatrists.

If your illness interfers with your social life or academic progress you should definitely give neuroleptics a try imho. There are others out there who lead functional lives though despite being psychotic.

For me olanzapine was a real life saver back when I was in full-blown mania. I have gained 77lbs within 10months though (115g/d!) and had a cardiovascular incident at the tail end of that time. The stuff also kinda killed my ambitions. For me there really was no other choice than to take them, considering the state I was in. Still I'd urge everyone who needs them for acute psychotic states to get off them as soon as possible. Treatment guidelines usually suggest staying on them for ~1yr, while psychiatrists usually won't bother to taper you off them at all. "As little as possible, but as much as necessary" rings very true with this class of drugs imho.

I'm here to update you guys. So Im going to rehab and have been clean and sober for almost a month. And I have been on zyprexa for a few days. It hasn't gotten rid of the hallucinations but I know it's to early to see any drastic changes. I keep thinking lsd will help me learn about myself and why I keep getting so anxious in public and why I keep having intrusive thoughts like the N-word, but I also know I'll probably just go insane. I'm really trying to stay away from E and stuff but my addict brain just won't let it go. Rage. I am starting to live a little again, but I'm the type of person that will just say fuck it and screw themselves. I also think I gave adrenal fatigue. Much love.

I'm not racist btw. I think it's really weird that I can hallucinate exactly what I'm thinking. Sometimes it sounds like it's come from my throught or face but that's less frequent then when it's coming from across the room. The voices from across the room are constant and I can even control how fast it sounds as well as how much bass the voice has... o_O

I'm here to update you guys. So Im going to rehab and have been clean and sober for almost a month. And I have been on zyprexa for a few days. It hasn't gotten rid of the hallucinations but I know it's to early to see any drastic changes. I keep thinking lsd will help me learn about myself and why I keep getting so anxious in public and why I keep having intrusive thoughts like the N-word, but I also know I'll probably just go insane. I'm really trying to stay away from E and stuff but my addict brain just won't let it go. Rage. I am starting to live a little again, but I'm the type of person that will just say fuck it and screw themselves. I also think I gave adrenal fatigue. Much love.

Hey I'm happy to hear you're doing well! Thanks for the update. Perhaps the intrusive thoughts are related to OCD? Do you have OCD?

Who says that if you experience this your supposed to be suffering? For me, at least, the whole thing isn't really negative so I wouldn't say I suffer audio hallucinations but rather experience them
Nobody said you are 'supposed to' suffer. What the op did was address those who are indeed suffering and there are quite a few of them.

Eventhough it is clearly stated at the beginning of the quote that some people are "are not mentally unwell". It is still an important point you are making, agreed. Unless the symptoms have a negative impact on the person OR people around him, he should not even be considered ill and in fact is not in most places.
has the symptomatic person or should there at least be an acute threat of him harming himself or somebody else, he is not the one who legally decides whether he is sick or not anymore. Medication can be administered against his will in many countries, usually cat least a neuroleptic agent via IM injection, should the patient show poor compliance.

The auditory hallucinations I experience due to either sleep deprivation or full-blown mania are usually rather pleasant, e.g. songs I know playing loud and clear or a simple melody I hear all day long (which can be annoying). When it gets noisy I would also misinterpret the sounds somewhere on the way to my consciousness and only perceive this misinterpretation. Such noise could consist of people talking or traffic around me or taking a shower. This is definitely slightly unsettling to me unlike the music. It can also be a little stressful feeling compelled to check out sounds around you to find out if they are real. Sometimes that's just necessary. The sounds can be so vivid and real that I check them out again and again just to make sure they are in my head.

I actually know a person whose voices order him to do harm to others and insult him on a very personal level and amazingly enough he has made his peace with the voices without any medical treatment. He still experiences them, sometimes more and sometimes less, but I wouldn't have ever noticed if he hadn't told me. This is very rare though in people who experience such severe auditory hallucinations, most of those develope a shitload of other symptoms of schizophrenia and the person deteriorates further with each episode or throughout a steady progression. Treatment is often the only way to remain a functioning member of your community. Some only experience one episode, others progress very very slowly and some get the full package of symptoms which is often a total nightmare and can be very destructive, at the very least on a social level. :/

About half of the people who do develope schizophrenia are compliant with the neuroleptic treatment (numbers vary between 20% and 60% depending on the source) go into full remission with the patient ideally not suffering any side effects at all (by definition remission means '6 month without an episode', but usually no more episodes are experienced after that). I'm not sure how many do without treatment, but those I know who have in fact shown the full spectrum of schizophrenia deteriorated hard without treatment.
My best friend had 3 suicide attempts until he got his depot injections and now he has been 100% fine over the past 7 years, symptom and side effect free. He is still receiving a microdose IM risperidon in regular intervals because neuroleptics saved his life and he is scared shitless (!) of going back to that place.
Another formerly good friend has rejected all treatment due to side effects and "making him a person he is not". He's got it bad, it's impossible to talk to him at times. My empathy goes very far, but eventually I passively withdrew myself from him. Those who have seen severe schizophrenic episodes will understand. E.g. he loses time for hours and doesn't even remember seeing you on the same day etc., that's only apparent when he isn't caught up in stereotypical movement and producing gibberish.

I can only urge everyone who has a friend whose symptoms are putting significant stress on the relationship to convince him of seeking treatment, even if we all despise the game 'big pharma' is playing. People can be talked sense into if you know how to handle the subject well enough.

But this is kind of OT since we are talking about auditory hallucinations lol.

If I would indeed be "suffering" of those, I would definitely take neuroleptics or whatever else helps. They are often dosed too high initially and can produce countless side effects, but good psychiatrists start off very low if there is no threat.

If you can look at it as a challenge that allows you to grow or at least understand yourself better by looking at triggers, more power to you! If it's not severe and does not cause any problems in daily activites or social interaction, who even gives a shit, right? About every 3rd person experiences non drug-induced hallucinations at some point in his life.