• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Indica and Sativa are the same

idk i can definitely tell the difference between indica and sativa, I try not to get hybrids though, seeing as I use strictly sativa in the day and indica at night.

what pure sativa and pure indica a strains do you like atm bfotd?

Bullshit on this idea.. I can identify individual strains and would take the pepsi challenge on this for all the money in the world.. period.

There are Sativa, Indica and Hybrids which are crosses of the two. Hybrids by their very nature combine the two properties. We cannot expect the hybrids to be as different as the pure landrace species.

There are Sativa, Indica and Hybrids which are crosses of the two. Hybrids by their very nature combine the two properties. We cannot expect the hybrids to be as different as the pure landrace species.

We're not talking about growth characteristics. We're talking about effects. There's no scientific evidence that would back up the claim that indicas are usually more sedating or sativas are usually more energizing.

Indica and Sativa are the same? Not even close. If you are smoking hybrids, and have no idea what the ratio of I to S, or vice/versa, it would of course make a difference in terms of what you experience. However, go to a dispensary, get an extract or concentrate that is 60 or 70% THC or THCa, one derived from Sativa and one from Indica, you will absolutely notice the difference. It is obvious. Now, you also have to take into account that many people buy what they are told are Indicas, Sativas, etc., which may, in fact, not be, or they may be a strain dominant for one or the other. But again...when you go to a dispensary, where all there stuff is lab tested for ingredients, active or otherwise, and you know for sure what you are getting, Indica concentrates and Sativa concentrates are like night and day. I've tried tons of them, and avoid Sativas much of the time due to the slightly more stimulating effects on my resting heart rate. And no, it's not placebo. After smoking hundreds of variations of all the above I would gladly take a blind test between the two, for sure. I like them both for diferent reaons, but smoke mostly 100% Indica strains, with some great hybrids in there for good measure. Sativas, as an equatorial variety, are also slightly more difficult to grow, sometimes have a smaller yield and smaller flowers, and have a longer growing cycle from start to finish. It is one of the reasons hybrids were created to begin with...to get the best of both worlds, and find a happy medium in terms of growing cycle and resilience. Not only that, to diversify flavor, effect, THC and terpene variety, etc. Indicas, come from a colder, hillier climate, grow shorter, look more like a small Xmas tree, and grow a little quicker and in cooler temps. If you've ever grown and harvested the two, and sampled the harvest extensively, the difference is not placebo. They can be very different from one another.

Last edited:
Exactly. I am guessing the original poster has or had a large tolerance to weed, or they were smoking, eating, or vaping hybrids?

I noticed the differences between both pure Indica herb strains, and pure Sativa strains when they were smoked, and no it is not placebo.

Eating and vaping herb basically would give me the same effects and it would not matter if it was hybrid, Indica, or a Sativa.

Indica and Sativa are the same? Not even close. If you are smoking hybrids, and have no idea what the ratio of I to S, or vice/versa, it would of course make a difference in terms of what you experience. However, go to a dispensary, get an extract or concentrate that is 60 or 70% THC or THCa, one derived from Sativa and one from Indica, you will absolutely notice the difference. It is obvious. Now, you also have to take into account that many people buy what they are told are Indicas, Sativas, etc., which may, in fact, not be, or they may be a strain dominant for one or the other. But again...when you go to a dispensary, where all there stuff is lab tested for ingredients, active or otherwise, and you know for sure what you are getting, Indica concentrates and Sativa concentrates are like night and day. I've tried tons of them, and avoid Sativas much of the time due to the slightly more stimulating effects on my resting heart rate. And no, it's not placebo. After smoking hundreds of variations of all the above I would gladly take a blind test between the two, for sure. I like them both for diferent reaons, but smoke mostly 100% Indica strains, with some great hybrids in there for good measure. Sativas, as an equatorial variety, are also slightly more difficult to grow, sometimes have a smaller yield and smaller flowers, and have a longer growing cycle from start to finish. It is one of the reasons hybrids were created to begin with...to get the best of both worlds, and find a happy medium in terms of growing cycle and resilience. Not only that, to diversify flavor, effect, THC and terpene variety, etc. Indicas, come from a colder, hillier climate, grow shorter, look more like a small Xmas tree, and grow a little quicker and in cooler temps. If you've ever grown and harvested the two, and sampled the harvest extensively, the difference is not placebo. They can be very different from one another.

This thread shows you how many people don't realize they're experiencing placebo/mass hysteria... Lol

If you say so network. No sense in us trying to a conversation with you since you know you are right and will not even discuss the matter.

So, according to some, ALL cannabis is the same. According to those same people, the only difference in ANY effect of any strain of marijuana is a placebo effect. Oh. OK, I get it now. Why everyone is bothering all this variety and crossing strains is such a waste of time, apparently. Some people clearly haven't been privy to dispensary lab tests that indicate the myriad chemicals present in marijuana (all ingredients/compounds carefully noted, in all their glory, with each dispensary package you get!) active and non-active, that are capable of altering the effects of consuming said end-product. In fact, so much has been learned through botany that they are essentially designing strains, extracts, concentrates simply for their "placebo effects" on "hysterical people". So yeah, so I can get out of my hysteria...ALL marijuana is the same. ALL OF IT. If you think differently, you are hysterical and experiencing the placebo effect. Thanks, professor weed! I am just going to take whatever the plug has to offer, at this point, since it's really all just the same. And so having said that, I suppose all medical dispensaries should simply call all marijuana or related products "marijuana" and leave it at that, since the only apparent difference is the amount of THC they contain. I get some of it is marketing, but I also get that while some disagree that indicas and sativas have been bred so incessantly that even trying to determine a "pure" indica or sativa strain is actually pure, again, due to hundred of years of breeding and inter-breeding. Again, since all effects of marijuana appear to be based on placebo effect, there is no need whatsoever to identify any marijuana product, extract, et al, as any different than any other, once again, simply focus on active ingredient content. So I say do away with any product that is a known extract or exemplar of indica or sativa, and simply refer to it as all the same, all marijuana. What else could matter when all their effects are placebo and associated hysteria. I have a 72% indica oil and 69% sativa oil that I would love people to try. One on one day, the other, the next. In fact, I will do a blind test the next time I have a bunch of my friends over that have been smoking for decades, and see if they can tell. I will report back.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun experiment. Please report back with the results.

So, according to some, ALL cannabis is the same. According to those same people, the only difference in ANY effect of any strain of marijuana is a placebo effect. Oh. OK, I get it now. Why everyone is bothering all this variety and crossing strains is such a waste of time, apparently. Some people clearly haven't been privy to dispensary lab tests that indicate the myriad chemicals present in marijuana (all ingredients/compounds carefully noted, in all their glory, with each dispensary package you get!) active and non-active, that are capable of altering the effects of consuming said end-product. In fact, so much has been learned through botany that they are essentially designing strains, extracts, concentrates simply for their "placebo effects" on "hysterical people". So yeah, so I can get out of my hysteria...ALL marijuana is the same. ALL OF IT. If you think differently, you are hysterical and experiencing the placebo effect. Thanks, professor weed! I am just going to take whatever the plug has to offer, at this point, since it's really all just the same. And so having said that, I suppose all medical dispensaries should simply call all marijuana or related products "marijuana" and leave it at that, since the only apparent difference is the amount of THC they contain. I get some of it is marketing, but I also get that while some disagree that indicas and sativas have been bred so incessantly that even trying to determine a "pure" indica or sativa strain is actually pure, again, due to hundred of years of breeding and inter-breeding. Again, since all effects of marijuana appear to be based on placebo effect, there is no need whatsoever to identify any marijuana product, extract, et al, as any different than any other, once again, simply focus on active ingredient content. So I say do away with any product that is a known extract or exemplar of indica or sativa, and simply refer to it as all the same, all marijuana. What else could matter when all their effects are placebo and associated hysteria. I have a 72% indica oil and 69% sativa oil that I would love people to try. One on one day, the other, the next. In fact, I will do a blind test the next time I have a bunch of my friends over that have been smoking for decades, and see if they can tell. I will report back.

The Shadow Self;14458752dispensary lab tests that indicate the myriad chemicals present in marijuana (all ingredients/compounds carefully noted, in all their glory, with each dispensary package you get!) active and non-active, that are capable of altering the effects of consuming said end-product. .

This is the whole thing. Sativa vs Indica don't matter, what matters is the chemical composition of the strain. The cannabinoids, terpenes, esters, and alcohols present seem to have much more to do with the high than the physical growth of the plant.

It's definitely not placebo, it's an different composition leading to different results.

Perhaps Narrow-leaf (Sativa) are more likely to produce a specific terpene/cannabinoid profile and Broad-leaf (Indica) another, but it hasn't been shown consistently.

Last edited:
If I have only a heavy sativa and no indica, I can't even function. Is it not easy enough to differentiate by inspecting the bud alone? To me, I feel like it is and smoking it very quickly. I trust my instincts over the labels like I'm not growing the stuff and I'm sure mistakes with genetics are made.

I agree with the description a few posts down from the start. Sativas generally being more recreational, psychedelic, giggly, social, upbeat, shorter acting, creative, and I find it hard to function on them in different ways - different side effects one might say, like paranoia.

Indica is the epitome of chill. I mean generally speaking, good kush that doesn't have much sativa bred into it. Something like Hindu Kush. These strains help my ADHD, they help me focus, last longer, come with a burnout / chillout phase that lasts longer, are far more contemplative and serious than recreational and psychedelic/mind altering. In terms of medicinal effects I'm still exploring that because it took me about a year of medicinal lab tested use to realize that I generally dislike 50/50 hybrids, and like to have an indica and sativa around.

There is definitely something to it people just don't know what it is yet scientifically and medicinally, this will take some time. If it wasn't prohibited a lot more research probably would have already been done. It's confusing, how a straightforward plant can be so complicated yet in the modern day world it is really only starting to be explored with real studies and regulation. I've heard the "weed is weed" thing so many times and it's just so not true, at least for me it's like different drugs and when I switch between quite different strains, my tolerance usually significantly drops. Some strains don't even make me hungry or sleepy ever, others one puff and I don't have time to be high before I'm asleep.

It's not just the 100+ cannabinoids but also the terpenes it certainly isn't just indica vs sativa but I have a feeling that each species has a proclivity for different chemical constituents than the other. I get this feeling from toking all day for pretty much 15 years, and realizing one finally getting medical pot and upon legalization just how strong the variance can be amongst strains. If you have never been in a legal area and are a huge stoner it could still come as a shock at how different all the pot can be these days. It makes it more complicated, some strains I really don't like (oddly enough, they tend to be 30/70 indica dominant, I don't seem to like too many hybrids even though everything pretty much is one a little bit).

Israel has pretty much paved the way for Cannabis studies. They pretty much wrote about making the extracts we smoke today back in the 50's, but the information was not as easily available as it is today.

In the United States it's easier to study heroin than marijuana.
-Psychiatrist Suzanne Sisley, PTSD researcher