Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Snooker Thread. V. "Sport" for pacemaker patients and the deaf

Saturday, 18 January

Semi-finals (best of 11 frames)

13:15 GMT

Mark Selby (Eng) v Shaun Murphy (Eng)

19:00 GMT

Stephen Maguire (Sco) v Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng)

My money is on it being another Ronnie and Selby final. It will be a tough match, but if Ronnie maintains this from he's on course for his 5th Masters title.

EDIT: Yep, final is as predicted. Not quite the same level of fireworks from Ronnie today, but people tend to forget he's only human.

WTF was up with Shaun Murphy in his interview today, he got beat and hes sounding like its all over for him and he wants to quit. FFS i thought he was much mentally stronger and tougher than that. He's still very young, he's got plenty of years at the top echelons of the game left in him.

Last edited:
Ronnie is playing snooker like a God again today. He is looking so good again. 4-0 up on Selby at the first interval.

I would have said Selby would be the only player that might have been able to contain Ronnie this week, but so far its not looking like thats going to happen today. I think the BBC are trying to make a mountain of the 'needle' between the two, i dont think there's much there. I wasnt keen on Selby at first, but he's grown on me, he's got character and charisma and can dig deeper than anyone else when anyone else would just give up.

This week has been one of Ronnie's most consistently brilliant weeks i can recall. Hes allways had flashes of brilliance, but sometimes they only lasted for one session, it's quite rare to sustain peak performances for a whole tournament.

He seemed a bit egotistical apparently comparing himself to Ussain Bolt the other day, but the analogy was accurate. He said if Bolt doesnt perform at his best and put in a 9.6 there's others who will come in at 9.7 and Bolt will get beaten. That is a very accurate assesment of Ronnie's situation, but it did seem a bit bigheaded, but i guess that's another reason why i like him so much, he's never scared to be honest and say what he really thinks.

Last edited:
Ronnie is just unstoppable at the moment, even with Selby playing the sort of flawless snooker you'd expect from the world number one, it's just not enough to beat Ronnie right now.

Feel sorry for the people who paid good money to see the evening session who are only going to get to watch a couple of frames of snooker before its all over!

Tonight is the first time ive watched a snooker match in its entirety, partly due to a lack of other options but mainly due to your (MDB) enthusiasm about the game and Ronnie.

Gotta say I really enjoyed it. You could of created another snooker fan here :)

Mydrugbuddy. He was unstoppable, but gave up on the last few frames. it's recorded over sky. Ronnie is always the genius, did you hear his new intro song. Twas a buddhist theme; so much better than.... Robbie williams (Let meeee entertain you) Or the Superman theme from last night, Stephen got wasted last night, but it was a boring match. I'm from scotland but always route for Ronnie.
Used to have 4 channels, but now in GA. He just smokes. I don't really like the safety play. Did you hear when Dennis Taylor said; after DP did you open your wallet? Jp ( john parrot)I've never laughed so much for a long time.

Parrot dryly repiled "thats rich coming from you Dennis" just before Selby swatted the errant moth. I think Parrots retort got just as big a laugh from the crowd. Both players made genuinely respectful and 'good sport' comments about each other at the end. I think the BBC are blowing up the 'needle' thing. Its hardly like when alex threatened to shoot Dennis Taylor when he totally lost the plot. Things got very nasty between them. Anyone who thinks snooker is boring just doesnt know all the background to it.

Im delighted ive possibly found a new convert, Ronnie is snookers superstar, The Ussain Bolt of snooker. He is going to possibly break all the existing records despite all his turbulent years and well documented problems. He may not be quite as much of a dramatic shoman as Alex Higgins or play the extremely flamboyant snooker of jimmy white but he is a talent that only comes along once in a lifetime.

Tonight is the first time ive watched a snooker match in its entirety, partly due to a lack of other options but mainly due to your (MDB) enthusiasm about the game and Ronnie.

Gotta say I really enjoyed it. You could of created another snooker fan here :)

please watch him in the world champs in April, he will possibly be even sharper and more focissed then, hes out to equal Davis's 6 world titles. It will be a momentous accaion and will be 3 world champs in succession for ron if he pulls it off. He's looking so good mentally these days hes been working with one of the very top sports psychologits, and seems to have found his balance.

For those having a quiet Sunday in, Ronnie is still in his amazing blaze trailing form, and has blitzed his way to the Welsh Open final, anihilating all openets in his wake. He was out of this world yesterday, you'd think he was playing on a 5 foot table with pockets the size of buckets the way incredibly difficult shots were flying in without a moments hesistation. I go for mad shots but some of the pots he was hammering in id never even have contemplated because there would have been a 0/100 chance of me getting them. If there was a 1/10 chance Id go for them. Ding is said to be in good form too.

The final will probably be broadcast over 2 sessions, one this afternoon and one this evening. The commenatators are speculating that Ronnie has improved from his allready fantastic heights, and he seems to be hitting a new peak at the time of life where most players would be struggling with their form and contemplating retirement. He has allways had the talent and abilty, he now finally seems to consistently have his mind in the right place, and he is frankly unstoppable.

Last edited:
Eurosport 2 and (probably) BBC wales. Afternoon session is starting right now. Ding has won everything he's enetered this season, i think Ronnie has too though. Should be a good match. I think Ronnie is mentally the stronger of the two though.

Last edited:
It's on the BBC Sport app on my PS3! Woohoo! Cheers dude, that's the rest of my day sorted.

Just starting now :D

Runaway train. The Rocket has lift off. Ding's gonna be whitewashed if he's not carefull. If Ronnie does win this that will put him 3rd in the tally of career ranking titles won, with only Davis and Hendry above him.

Ronnie is a shining example of sorting your fucking life out. He's been through drink and drugs and mental health problems, but seems to have conquered them all.

Well done Ding, showed some bottle there to take that last frame of the session.

Last edited:
Magnificent 147 by Ronnie to finish. Did you see it Rogan ? He was so relaxed and laughing and joking around on the final pink and black it was incredible, it was as if he was just having a casual game with his best mate down the club after a few drinks. That final red he had to pot and screw back about 9 foot for the black was made to look so easy, if i played that shot a hundred times, i doubt id have got it perfect even once on a full size table. Peace of piss on a pool table, but on a 12 footer, fucking no chance.

He's gone ahead of Hendry now, they were tied on 11 each, and Ronnie now holds the record for most 147s in tournament play:12. He's now 3rd in the list of ranking titles won. Thank you Ronnie for lifting me from the gloom of the last couple of days. I guess there'll be very poor odds putting your money on Ronnie at the bookies now, he looks almost a certainty to demolish everyone.

Dr Mike Peters must be a fucking genius, it seeems to be since Ronnie has hooked up with this guy, a sports psychologit that he's been mentally transformed. He is so serene and composed now, but he still has his loveable cheeky mischevious streak.

Last edited:
Magnificent 147 by Ronnie to finish. Did you see it Rogan ? He was so relaxed and laughing and joking around on the final pink and black it was incredible, it was as if he was just having a casual game with his best mate down the club after a few drinks. That final red he had to pot and screw back about 9 foot for the black was made to look so easy, if i played that shot a hundred times, i doubt id have got it perfect even once on a full size table. Peace of piss on a pool table, but on a 12 footer, fucking no chance.

He's gone ahead of Hendry now, they were tied on 11 each, and Ronnie now holds the record for most 147s in tournament play:12. He's now 3rd in the list of ranking titles won. Thank you Ronnie for lifting me from the gloom of the last couple of days. I guess there'll be very poor odds putting your money on Ronnie at the bookies now, he looks almost a certainty to demolish everyone.

Dr Mike Peters must be a fucking genius, it seeems to be since Ronnie has hooked up with this guy, a sports psychologit that he's been mentally transformed. He is so serene and composed now, but he still has his loveable cheeky mischevious streak.

Yep, what a finish to the match. It was cool the Ding made a confident start to the evening session as well, after a rubbish afternoon. Looking forward to the World Champs in a few weeks now! :)

Nice quotes from Ronnie.

He made his 12th career maximum to seal his third Welsh Open victory, potting the final black left-handed after he had played right-handed throughout most of the break.

"I thought on about 48 the maximum was on. I looked at the scoreboard and saw it was all blacks," said O'Sullivan.

"I have made 11 [maximums] right handed, so this counts as a left-handed 147. I couldn't have got on the final black any better.

"Once I start slowing down, I hope Ding dominates. He plays the game as it should and people should enjoy him."

Ronnie regularly comes out with nice quotes. His interviews are as entertaining as his snooker.

Potted 6 balls in a row on my first visit when i played pool the other day, played up and down the table for a brilliant cannon to develop the 7th ball, splitting it away from my opponents ball and developing it into a pottable position, rattled the fucker in the pocket but got good position on the black. :!

The story of my fucking pool playing life that was, i was so angry that id missed that seventh ball for the whole of the evening. At my level its usually about once every time i play that there is a clear cut chance for the total clearance, but i usually fuck it up over a relatively simple shot after getting some good ones in to get the break going.

What's the secret Roganjosh ? Just diminish how much of an event it is, so that it becomes commonplace ? I think i want it too much and put too much presssure on myself. :\