• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Snooker Thread. V. "Sport" for pacemaker patients and the deaf

This match is going as i predicted, wish id put some money on it now, but if id done that then it wouldnt have done. :\

Ronnie is as awesome as ever, given a greater sense of occassion that Ronnie Wood and Jimmy have turned upto watch him in a first round match. I feel a little sorry for Milkins, waited years to get to play in The Masters and Ronnie's gonna destroy him in less than an hour =D. His technique is so classy and smooth. I think im gonna book some table time tomorrow and try and copy the way he cues (like practically every player in the world would want to). I loved Virgos assesment of both players during the interval. Bang on the money and spot on.

Trump has got tons of flair and style, which i like about him, but he's at the early stages of his career so if he really said hes only doing the big 3 allready thats a bit arrogant and overambitious, he should be hungrier than that, he's not yet got the stature of Ronnie who's been at the top for 20 years, he can genuinely afford to pick and choose his events like that. I agree with Virgo, i think he wants to equal Davis's 6 world titles and then equal if not exceed Hendrys 7 world titles.

Yeah as expected. Good on Milkins for getting a frame off him though :)

yeah i was glad for him to get one on the board.

How cool was that for Ronnie Wood to give Ronnie O Sullivan a standing ovation at the end too. :D

O'Sullivan will next face Ricky Walden in the last eight at 1pm on Friday.

The 38-year-old made short work of Milkins and took little over an hour to establish a 5-0 lead.

A rare mistake allowed Milkins, 37, to pull a frame back before O'Sullivan finished the job, with British artist Damien Hirst and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood among the spectators.

O'Sullivan said: "Damien has been in my corner for a long time. He gets me and understands how challenging this game can be, and gives me a lot of support. It was brilliant for Ronnie to come because I hadn't seen him for ages.

"We all had a good night out - it gets a bit boring sitting in and watching Big Brother."

Courtesy of the BBC. Classic Ronnie quote at the end.

Alex ('hurricane') Higgins was a regular in my local pub in the '80's. He was always in a right fuckin state, so we avoided the cunt like the plague!

yeah apparently he could get really nasty and obnoxious when drunk, and despite the fact that i loved the guy i have to admit he behaved like an arsehole when he got drunk. He would often use that self important line "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM !?" if someone thwarted whatever he was trying to do. A very charismatic and talented man, but very flawed also. He could be charming when he felt like it, but do you remember that sad day when he quit snooker he just sat in his seat in the theatre getting more and more pissed before after hed beeen beaten and the crowd had left, and he finally did the tv interview saying "you can shove your snooker up your jacksie, cos ive had it up to here" oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I stood next to steve davis at a gig in Manchester a couple of years ago, honestly, true story, i was too shy to say anything to him, it was a band called Wire IIRC, they were awfull, myslef and Davis shared that opinion i could tell by the look on his face. I think he sussed that i was on drugs (mephedrone and methylone) and so he didnt want to talk to me, i sense he might have done otherwise. Davis is well into very obscure music, this may surprise a lot of people. Davis was extremely down to earth, no massive ego.

Haha, no I've not heard that story MDB. But you're right, he was an obnoxious cunt IME (and a notorious cokehead - which explains it I suppose). Did you know him personally? I never said more than a few words to him all the times we saw him in the pub, but we used to sit there daring each other to go and ask him for a line (alas, no one ever did) .

Narh, id have loved to have known him despite his flaws, ive watched all the videos and read all the books, so know all the stories about him. For example he was banned from every pub, club, bar and hotel in Manchester as his reputation preceeded him that badly.

Another good story about him is that he went to a bar to get some beers for breakfast, as was his want, and he challeneged the locals to some games of pool. I think he broke and cleared the table 3 times in succession and then bought everyone in the bar a drink to celeberate his fine form that morning. There was definately 2 sides to that man. It would have been an honour to have been 7 balled by Alex Higgins, at anyone elses hands such a thing is a total humiliation.

Yeh, Steve ('interesting') Davies seemed like a decent chap iirc. Didn't he take the crown off Higgins? Or at least fill the slot that Higgins vacated? I'm not really well up on snooker, but Iiked watching it as a kid. Very difficult game to play well though. My dad used to take me for a few frames when I was about ten - felt proper grown up I did :)

yeah Davis bitterly frustrated Higgins as he was consistently excellent, whereas Alex was only occasionally brilliant. Higgins did beat Davis on a few memorable occasions, but overall Davis was just far to consistently good, and he totally dominated the game for most of the 1980s. Alex won the world championships in 72 and 82.

Just reading OTW's post about playing on acid. I've played pool on mushrooms several times and completely owned the table. I cod actually 'see' the trajectory of all the cue ball - just like playing pool on a computer.

i find just beer sufficient, it doesnt make me play any better, but makes me go for ever wilder and more ambitious shots, and they feel so ggod when they go in. When i play sober i just get overly frustrated at making simple mistakes, rather than enjoying the shots i have played well. ;-/

Exciting final frame decider between Selby and Higgins going on right now!

yeah Selby is a bit more expressive than John Higinns, i prefer that type of player to the poker faced ones.

Selby is never a quitter, he'll keep on going til it's impossible for him to win, I've seen him have to do it a few times now. Good to see it pay off this time too! Agree I've never been a fan of Higgins either, particularly after all that crap with the Russians, whatever went on he's not a good face for snooker imo.

narh i struggle to believe he was entirley innocent, his reputation has been damaged, which is a shame, one foolish bad decison can have severe consequences. Selby keeps on going when it would be impossible for anyone else to win, he really is excellent at laying snookers.

Ronnie is looking great gaain, his game i mean, sweet as a fucking nut. Absolute peak top standard stylish stuff. May there be many more years of Ronnie, i think he'll stick around to see he can beat hendrys record of 147s, century breaks, and world championships. I will geneuinely be in mourning the day he retires. Hopefully this is at least 5 years away. He has so much talent it could be years away, he could do a steve favis and keep playing well into his 50s. Hes allready been at the top for 20 years, hes just not in the top 16 because he missed all last seasons events apart from the world champs.

Even Hendry and Ken Doherty have just said that Ronnie is the only player they'd pay to watch. Hendry was gracious enough to say 'every sport has its superstar, and obviously Ronnie is snookers.' Ive allways respected Hendry for being gracious and keeping sensible silences whenver Ronnie tried to bait him in his early years saying things like "im gonna send hendry back to his sad little lfe". Fortunately Ronnie no longer comes out with such ungracious things, and the 2 now are full of respect for each other. They both regard each other as the best. Weird eh.

Does anyone remember that match i think it was in The Masters a few years ago, Ronnie was slaughtering Ding, and the crowd were shouting abuse at Ding, and Ding got really upset. Ronnie put his arms around him to comfort him and talk to him as they walked out for the interval, or an unscheduled break. So hes not just a ruthless winning machine, he has a big heart too. That was so nice of him to do that, he could have just capitalised on Dings vulnerabilty but no he's better than that.

Ronnie seems to be at the top of his game today, and is so focussed, all the long shots are going in, long range positional shots are finishing inch perfect. Absolute magic.

Ronnie has now made about 730 odd century breaks in his career, only 30 behind Hendry's record now. He is going to take that record off Hendry, no doubt about that now.

That was amazing, every single shot was hit perfectly. Demolished a quality opponent 6-0. His opponent only got 1 chance in the whole six frames.

Last edited: