• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Megathread (Chronic and Acute Pain Discussion) Version 5.0 ~ V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chase - the med drops are going good (the drops at the beginning always are though...its the end ones that are tough). I intend to drop rapidly until I hit the minimum amount I need in a day then move slower from there. By that time I will have quite a stash built up (in fact I already do have a stash built up as 180mg /day of done is far too much)... Then I can just go at my own pace..... This is the first taper plan I've ever been able to stick to.....probably as it means so much to me with my new job and everything. Sometimes the impetus for change is all we need. Re. You looking for a new doctor..I just hope you don't drop this one then your new doc turn out to be an arsehole who says "oh this guy has been getting far too much shit rx'd"...and then cut you down to almost nothing...then you might be thinking that you wish you had your old doc back!... Its a tough call.

Cliffy - I wrote you a really long pm the other day then this stupid fucking phone deleted it before I could press send!... Suffice to say you are in my prayers mate. Hang in there. Things will go your way. Not long ago I was all.most suicidal with pain, family bereavement, job going nowhere but sometimes god shines on us when we least expect it. I've dedicated my life to helping others and whether its karma or what but things are going better for me as a result.....so hang in everyone. You never know what's round the corner. Take care.
Thank you England, I really mean that brother. Its a bad time right now but like u said god does have a way of popping up when u least expect him so I'm trying to keep a level head. It's 2am here and I woke up an hour ago, I usually sleep 10pm-5am but the pain and depression is eating me up man. Woke up dt'ing again and I'm down to 6 ox 15s left so needless to say anxiety is running high. Lots of bad thoughts lately and night terrors to go with em' ( can't elaborate here). Haven't eaten in 4 days now shits just not great ATM. Oh geez I'm rambling again sry... Great to hear your taper is working for you, your right I think we do need something we really want to help us through. Being hopeless isn't getting me anywhere bit it's hard to alter ones way of thinking when it's so ingrained in us. I hope your work is going well and your pain is somewhat manageable... Well I missed the World Cup match so I'm gonna try to watch it now. Just wanted to say thank you and it's just nice to not be totally alone in my pain now, just knowing others are out there that know what it's like helps tremendously. Take care and be safe :)

Hi all, I'm down to just Kratom and weak PST to manage my pain. The fact that Kratom even has an effect on me means that my tolerance is low, which is good. But I ordered some codeine online because we're moving and it's taking a toll on me. I should also probably call pain management and see if I can get another epidural steroid shot. I flaked on an appointment with them because I was sick. I've had this UTI that WILL NOT die and I'm on my third round of antibiotics. I think it's a kidney infection...I've had those before...because I have abdominal pain and nausea. If this last antibiotic doesn't work, I'm going to the hospital. But they won't give me pain meds because I'm a well-known addict there.

On the up side (sarcasm here) I had a biopsy done at the gyno. My last 3 Pap smears have been abnormal because there are cells growing abnormally but they're not cancer yet. My dr told me they could develop into cancer or they could go away on their own. So I'm waiting a week to hear if I have cancer!!! If I do, they'll HAVE to give me pain meds. That's the only upside I can think of. I'm scared but I'm pretty sure I'll get cancer because everyone in my family does. Mother's father - brain cancer. Died. Mother's mother - breast cancer. Died. Father's mother - lung cancer (and she never smoked a day in her life. Also died. Remaining grandparent, father's father, has malignant melonoma. My dad - prostate cancer. They removed it but it's coming back. Mom - thyroid cancer. Luckily it's the slow growing kind so if it comes back she could be dead of natural causes by then. They removed her thyroid and she has to take medicine every day or she'll die. Father's sister - bone marrow cancer. She's dead.

Yeah, I'm gonna get cancer. I just hope I can have one more kid before they have to remove my ovaries or something. I want to leave behind an even number (I have 3 now.) Living to have grandchildren would be nice, but I've radically shortened my lifespan by messing with drugs for fun when I was in college. I'm not going to be around for a long time.

Chin up xtcgrrl! I can tell your really going through a tough time mood-wise but the worlds only as bad as your perception of it.

Yes, that is alot of cancer in your family but they were all different cancers and so unrelated.
Lung cancer without smoking or conditions caused by exposure to dangerous substances is uncommon.
Both brain and thyroid cancers are fairly uncommon and not thought to be genetic and prostate doesnt apply to yourself.
Melanomas are more common but aggressive ones (or untreatable ones) are rarer.
Breast cancer is one to be concerned about and can be genetic but you can be tested for that faulty gene.
Lastly, I understand your worry over your abnormal tests but abnormal smears are common and mostly resolve themselves.

Please dont think im trying to condesende to you with all that above, im just trying to put some perspective on all that stuff.lol

I know its hard at times but positive outlook is really important to controlling chronic pain and personal situation is important to positive outlook.
I read all your posts on here and I think youve shown amazing determination and bravery in dealing with your personal situation and chronic pain, plese dont falter now! :)

Oh, and good luck with the move, thats always stressful!,lol.

I suffer from peripheral neuropathy that causes numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I'm on pregabalin which works quite well but there still is tingling in my hands and feet which is quite bothersome. I have to take an antidepressant - mirtazapine (30mg at night) but I was thinking of asking to have it switched to another antidepressant, amitryptaline since it is also used to treat neuropathic pain. Do the two drugs treat neuropathic pain through different mechanisms and if so, do you think it's worth using the two in combination or will they not work better than the pregabalin alone? I take methadone so opioids aren't an option, not that they would be of much help anyway.

Also does B12 supplementation help with neuropathic pain if there isn't a B12 deficiency? I've heard of people recommending B12 shots for neuropathic pain even if there's no deficiency and I was wondering if this is pointless or if extra B12 might help, even if it does so only marginally?

Apart from that can you recommend anything else I can take that might help?

edit: of course I should add that 1:1 THC:CBD cannabis is an option I'm currently looking into.

AE, I am trying to get relief for PHN Nerve Pain, after a serious Attack on Shingles in Aug 2013.
It sounds like peripheral Neuropathy and Post Herpetic Neuralgia are similiar in some ways.
I have tried several Rx to address the issue of severe burning pain in my rt butt cheek and thigh.
Was on Mobic, which just served to tear my GI tract to pieces, then Gabapentin, which me into a zombie.
Currently am on 125mg Amitryptaline, which I take at night. It has allowed me great sleep, but is tough to wake up in AM.
I was able to work with my PCP, and am on Norco 10/325 4X/day.
This combination, along with Lidocaine Patch and smoking some nice nugs along the way, have made my life better, since being hit with this Nerve Pain as result of Shingles.

Hi all, I'm down to just Kratom and weak PST to manage my pain. The fact that Kratom even has an effect on me means that my tolerance is low, which is good. But I ordered some codeine online because we're moving and it's taking a toll on me. I should also probably call pain management and see if I can get another epidural steroid shot. I flaked on an appointment with them because I was sick. I've had this UTI that WILL NOT die and I'm on my third round of antibiotics. I think it's a kidney infection...I've had those before...because I have abdominal pain and nausea. If this last antibiotic doesn't work, I'm going to the hospital. But they won't give me pain meds because I'm a well-known addict there.

On the up side (sarcasm here) I had a biopsy done at the gyno. My last 3 Pap smears have been abnormal because there are cells growing abnormally but they're not cancer yet. My dr told me they could develop into cancer or they could go away on their own. So I'm waiting a week to hear if I have cancer!!! If I do, they'll HAVE to give me pain meds. That's the only upside I can think of. I'm scared but I'm pretty sure I'll get cancer because everyone in my family does. Mother's father - brain cancer. Died. Mother's mother - breast cancer. Died. Father's mother - lung cancer (and she never smoked a day in her life. Also died. Remaining grandparent, father's father, has malignant melonoma. My dad - prostate cancer. They removed it but it's coming back. Mom - thyroid cancer. Luckily it's the slow growing kind so if it comes back she could be dead of natural causes by then. They removed her thyroid and she has to take medicine every day or she'll die. Father's sister - bone marrow cancer. She's dead.

Yeah, I'm gonna get cancer. I just hope I can have one more kid before they have to remove my ovaries or something. I want to leave behind an even number (I have 3 now.) Living to have grandchildren would be nice, but I've radically shortened my lifespan by messing with drugs for fun when I was in college. I'm not going to be around for a long time.
Hi xtcc, I know where your coming from thinking about the cancer and all, I'm at huge risk getting it too . I feel the same way sometimes, just like fuck it at least I'll finally get the correct amt of meds without hearing all the lectures and the bullshit that goes along with being a chronic pain patient, sometimes I think it would be an improvement(I know seems kinda deranged). But just wanted to let u know your thinking isn't strange or anything like that, I think it would be better that way sometimes too. Stay strong and I hope your situation improves with the move and all :)

I've been living with chronic back pain for the past 13 months, have tried pretty much everything to figure out what the problem is but no luck...

The only thing that has been able to provide me relief is pain killers. I have been on painkillers (T3, Tramadol, Morphine, Oxycodone) for the past 10 months or so.

My dr just reduced my dose to from 20mg per day to 15mg per day of oxycodone. This provides me maybe 20% relief from the pain, does my dr know what she's doing or is this a really low dose for someone with severe pain and my history? I have probably been on Oxy or morhpine for a total of 6 of the last 10 months, the other 4 was tramadol or T3's.

I feel like I'm being undermedicated but I'm not sure what to do since my dr. (just a regular GP) already seems apprehensive about prescriping pain killers even though I have been dealing with her since the start of my problem and she knows how much pain I'm in.

medical marijuana

I've had chronic pain in some of my tendons in my legs for years. Hydrocodone(up to 30mg) only took maybe 10% of the pain away. I also don't want to deal with dependence anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might work for me?
Live in a state for medical marijuana. It is really the only addiction resistant pharmaceutical. Probably because it's not one. I have chronic pancreatitis and so much pain flows that I throw up what I eat and that pain puts me to my knees. That's after a days 80 real extracted mg oxymorphone and 120 oxycodone. Promrthazine it's not that addicting. It's not intended for pain butt with its amphetamine properties can bump up the yield on your pain meds do toy can take less for the sameor same for better results. Also I'd theydo not put you to sleep eat benadryl. I do like candy.if U don't get sleepy and it's about another 30% tells I pain reduction. Do some research for there are many drugs out there that are not to bad to be on that can potentially in crease the uterus off what your taking. If you take right time right meal add much as 100-150%dly pain reduction. Without taking anymore than you do now. I almost forgot that at that point they're is no reason why you could not find a strain of pot that would flood you with positive feelings to combat the remaining pain. Just so much good for do little bad. There are so many strains today, work with a little of ask you have. It's like a recipe, and absolutely perfect only for you when you crack the recipe.
GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm new to blulight and just read every post in this thread and I wanted to thank everybody for posting their experiences. It's great to know I'm not alone in suffering the indignities of pain management, the insults of pharmacists, doctors, and receptionists. It's unreal what we have to through just to live another day and not be sick(from under prescribing) or in intractable pain. I just wanted to say I love all of you, we are all kindred spirits and great people with so much to offer the world if given the chance. My background is- I suffer from chronic pancreatitis brought on from alcohol abuse in my teen years. I've been on 15mg oxycodone 3xday for 5 yrs now. This no longer works at all and I run out very early so I buy subs to avoid wd and I'm in pain during that time. I've lost 80lbs , due to severe nausea that is part if my illness. The only thing that helps that is weed. Weed just became ok for medical usage where I'm at but docs are afraid to prescribe it so the law is useless. My doc is moving me to pain man. Cause he says the law is just becoming to much for him to deal with. He was allowing me to use weed on my own from my own sources which was really cool, he's a good man and he's helped me ever since I met him through a local er. But now I'm waiting for that call about pm so I've had to stop using the weed and I'm down from 130lbs to 108lbs. I have lots to say and I've been through the ringer over the years but I just wanted to tell you all that I feel like I've known you all my entire life and I wanted wish u all my best and I hope you all find some relief...

Sorry I forgot this, I used to use the herbal incense(synthetics) as an appitite stimulator as a way to get around ua's but they've been banned in my state and I've been robbed trying to purchase online. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've been on just about all of the nausea perscription meds zofran, phenergan, compazinr etc etc. none of works one bit.. I just want to regain my weight. My ideal weight is about 165/175. 130 on weed, 105-110 and dropping without :(
I also have chronic pancreatitis. By 24 yearshad a 400k home, cars girl, just everything. But I worked for them, hard.16 hours a day 6-7 days a week. Did not realize ir bothered me at ask for I drank my stress away.within5 years I was at .5 gallons vodka aday and a case our two of wine. I married about 1000 hair people, not never a one resizing I was liking myself to make there day. One day it was a hot knife an hour...keep on 45min... On 30, 15, 1 and I stayed on my knees convulsions concurrent for 5 days where I lay in the hospital for2 weeks. The 2 years following while getting rid of thestressors. Girl, job, hJude. All on purpose and at that point had been to the hospital close to250 times. Staying a little over60 for 2-13 days. Almost died twice and when ask the stressors were gone. I hit rehab. Tagged my bottle for xanax and it should have been it but scaring caused, just to stand I'm30ir oxymorphone, promethazine always and still throw up half of what I eat. 240 ir oxycodone xanax,klonapin, all day another 50 oxymorphone and2 ambien to get 2 or 3 hours sitting up. Have not lied down, ate a hamburger ore walked the dog in now5 more years. He'll o n earth. Nice thing is my mind does not get as euphoric as most with the drugs BUT impossible to find a doctor besideJacksons that will give you that for an elephant but it's THE only way. Still sitting and calling. Trying to find the man who will help me walk my dog around the block.

Hello everyone, I'm new to blulight and just read every post in this thread and I wanted to thank everybody for posting their experiences. It's great to know I'm not alone in suffering the indignities of pain management, the insults of pharmacists, doctors, and receptionists. It's unreal what we have to through just to live another day and not be sick(from under prescribing) or in intractable pain. I just wanted to say I love all of you, we are all kindred spirits and great people with so much to offer the world if given the chance. My background is- I suffer from chronic pancreatitis brought on from alcohol abuse in my teen years. I've been on 15mg oxycodone 3xday for 5 yrs now. This no longer works at all and I run out very early so I buy subs to avoid wd and I'm in pain during that time. I've lost 80lbs , due to severe nausea that is part if my illness. The only thing that helps that is weed. Weed just became ok for medical usage where I'm at but docs are afraid to prescribe it so the law is useless. My doc is moving me to pain man. Cause he says the law is just becoming to much for him to deal with. He was allowing me to use weed on my own from my own sources which was really cool, he's a good man and he's helped me ever since I met him through a local er. But now I'm waiting for that call about pm so I've had to stop using the weed and I'm down from 130lbs to 108lbs. I have lots to say and I've been through the ringer over the years but I just wanted to tell you all that I feel like I've known you all my entire life and I wanted wish u all my best and I hope you all find some relief...

Sorry I forgot this, I used to use the herbal incense(synthetics) as an appitite stimulator as a way to get around ua's but they've been banned in my state and I've been robbed trying to purchase online. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've been on just about all of the nausea perscription meds zofran, phenergan, compazinr etc etc. none of works one bit.. I just want to regain my weight. My ideal weight is about 165/175. 130 on weed, 105-110 and dropping without :(
I also have chronic pancreatitis. By 24 yearshad a 400k home, cars girl, just everything. But I worked for them, hard.16 hours a day 6-7 days a week. Did not realize ir bothered me at ask for I drank my stress away.within5 years I was at .5 gallons vodka aday and a case our two of wine. I married about 1000 hair people, not never a one resizing I was liking myself to make there day. One day it was a hot knife an hour...keep on 45min... On 30, 15, 1 and I stayed on my knees convulsions concurrent for 5 days where I lay in the hospital for2 weeks. The 2 years following while getting rid of thestressors. Girl, job, hJude. All on purpose and at that point had been to the hospital close to250 times. Staying a little over60 for 2-13 days. Almost died twice and when ask the stressors were gone. I hit rehab. Tagged my bottle for xanax and it should have been it but scaring caused, just to stand I'm30ir oxymorphone, promethazine always and still throw up half of what I eat. 240 ir oxycodone xanax,klonapin, all day another 50 oxymorphone and2 ambien to get 2 or 3 hours sitting up. Have not lied down, ate a hamburger ore walked the dog in now5 more years. He'll o n earth. Nice thing is my mind does not get as euphoric as most with the drugs BUT impossible to find a doctor besideJacksons that will give you that for an elephant but it's THE only way. Still sitting and calling. Trying to find the man who will help me walk my dog around the block.

Hey stone, I know that feeling all too well, sitting in the er for days on end for Iv meds that don't work for shit. Sure u might get ten minutes of relief but then it's back. It's a nightmare man, taking an ambulance to avoid waiting 12 hrs for the bullshitters to get in to see the dr before u, it just sucks all around. Yeah the weed definitly helps, it's cool ur allowed to smoke without losing your meds, I used to have a cool dr but he's putting me in pain man. Eventually bit til then I'm kinda fucked. Gotta try to make the new dr understand but that's not gonna be easy, gotta piss clean first visit to prove I'm not a "marijuana addict" lmfao!!! While the write scripts for legal dope! Lol... Well you got a fair dr at least that gives u a decent amt of meds. I'm stuck on 45mg a day oxy 15, rotfflmao!! Not good for the pain really but it helps psychologically I guess, keeps me from killing umyself I guess.
So how's your family life going? Are u alienated or do they understand your situation? For a lot of us we get the drug addict label put on us and family just shits on us til we've had enough and just don't bother with family anymore. It's shitty all around.
I've been smoking that fake weed stuff to help with eating/nausea, it really makes me hungry for some reason, I have no idea why since it's crazy shit in there but it does work. Shit really throws me for a loop though lol. Tried it the other day for the first time in awhile and the shit just melted me, lmfao!! There's some crazy trippy shit in there man. Gonna chill with that for a bit, a bit too heavy for me but I gotta finish the 3grams I guess, lmfao!
Anyway man I just woke up and I'm rambling a bit so I gotta do some shit but it's defintly cool to have someone else around with this shitty condition man, it definitly sucks the life and the nice things in your life right away from us. Eh fuck it,I used to say, let me just go grab another bottle, it's legal, everyone else is partying with no consequences so fuck it. Who knew huh? Lmao, someone always pays for everyone else. I think that's what we're doing right now man, "paying" the bill. Fuck alright I'm gonna try to zone into this spice shit man I'll talk to ya in a bit bro, take it easy, cliffy

I also have fibro, I take Cymbalta (I also am bi-polar type 2 with major depressive disorder), and I also take Neurontin which is the active ingredient in lyrica without the additives.

I am seeking advice for chronic back pain.
I have suffered for several years and have spent tons of time and money on doctor visits, chiropractic and physical therapy.
My current doctor has prescribed many different drugs (many of them prescribed for nerve pain or muscle spasm) and none of them have helped.
He recently prescribed Tramadol and that is the first drug that actually helped to relieve the pain.
I have had friends give me a vicodin or hydrocodone occasionally and I have to say that it seems to work the best.
I asked my doctor if Vicodin would be a helpful drug for me and he said he did not want to prescribe it because it is too addicting.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of pain management and/or advice as to what helps you?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMO, any decent answer your going to get will depend on what your level of pain is. w/o that information, it's impossible to tell you what meds will help you.

I also have fibro, I take Cymbalta (I also am bi-polar type 2 with major depressive disorder), and I also take Neurontin which is the active ingredient in lyrica without the additives.
No offense meant but you are completely wrong....Neurontin is gabapentin. Lyrice is pregabalin.

Pregabalin is the 'parent' drug of gabapentin (meaning oregabalin was synthesized first and then gabapentin was synthesized from it).

Pregabalin is approximately double the strength of gabapentin and doesnt have the absorption issues of gabapentin, so in most cases its actually the far superior drug.
However pregabalin around four times the cost of gabapentin which leads to its popularity amoung doctors.
Gabapentin is the past and pregabalin is the future.lol

Sharing info is great and the whole basis of this site bit you have to the correctt info in the first place. :)

I got my info from my doctor when discussing the best medication for me, therefore if my info is wrong, please educate my local medical community. :D

Im not looking for an arguement mate.lol
Maybe gabapentin is the better med for you but if your doctor has told you that lyrica is the same as neurontin (except with some 'mysterious' additives) then hes filling you a line of shit....possibly to sell you the cheaper med....idk

If you dont believe me then please check what im saying....google it, theres plenty of information out there. Hell, even wikipedia has more accurate info then your doctor (by the sounds of it anyway.lol)

I got my info from my doctor when discussing the best medication for me, therefore if my info is wrong, please educate my local medical community. :D

Yea, then your doctor must be mistaken... and given that it's his job to know these things, it sounds like you should try finding a new doc. "bunge" was correct. Neurontin is NOT the active ingredient in Lyrica. Neurontin is Gabapentin, and Pregabalin is Lyrica.(I have been prescribed BOTH, but am currently prescribed Lyrica, I was on Neurontin for a couple years before my doctor switched me to Pregabalin, saying it was basically "a stronger version/med" compared to Neurontin.)
And if your doctor is lying to you to "sell you cheaper meds", then I would DEFINITELY get a new doctor, because honesty is a two way street when it comes to the dr. patient relationship. Not to mention it's just common sense to not want your doctor lying to you. Nor do you want him/her to have no idea what he/she is talking about.

Hi guys. Chronic pain sufferer.

Nearly lost both my legs from breaking them so badly and also broke my back.

Huge long story short. I did it in the USA but had overstayed my visa waiver from vacation so gave a fake name to avoid being arrested my immigration and spent a year laying In bed trying to recover. I used to buy two 15mg oxys a week and save them for when it got unbearable because its the only way i could get them.

I finally made it back to England and have an endless supply of oxy, physio and doctors. For months ive stuck to about 50-60mg a day and Im happy. I misbehave if im drunk, angry or sad as im suffering PTSD. But on the whole im in a much better place.

No idea why im posting... all I can say Is good luck to everyone. I know it hurts, but you are never too tired for one more step. At least thats what I tell myself.

Welcome slider!!
Geez man how did u do it without meds all that time? Sounds like some crazy painful shit bro.
Do u really think u would've been arrested ? I mean ur British right? Unless ur name is Muhammad or Jamal I think you would've alright, especially after the injury. In the u.s we don't like paying for shit and caring for u would've been costly, I think they would've just put u on a plane. Sounds like your getting on ok now that your back home, good to hear.
Your getting oxy over there huh? I've heard it's a rarity over there?
Pretty common here, I think that's why we're all on em lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.