• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Megathread (Chronic and Acute Pain Discussion) Version 5.0 ~ V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back a few posts we qctually have a greater range of opiates in the u lk than in the us.including some veery novel analogues (check out the BNF). The only one we dont have is hydrocodone which isnt that strong anyway. My methadone for pain management is scripted 60mg 3 times a day as the analgesic duration of methadone is roughly 8 hours even though its half life is much longer and it keeps you out of wds for 24+ hours.....it isnt an XR med per se.. Having been scripted every opiate there is in the uk over the last 18 year ss methadone is my personal favourite although YMMV. I also liked dipipernone and dextromoramide although good luck getting a doctor to script those nowerdays lol!

I'm a chronic pain patient and I find myself looking for things outside of what I'm prescribed to boost the pain reduction effects because I feel that I'm under-medicated. I located reliable sources for pills, both in person in the city near me (most expensive option) and from online pharmacies (medium expensive option) but the CHEAPEST option I have found is H, not pills. And I've never done H and I'm reluctant to start now. First of all I would never use needles, I'm not doing it for the rush anyway, but for pain relief. I probably would snort it, I guess, as I have no objection to snorting things and can handle the burn and bad taste (nothing burns like pure MDMA, and I did that) but I just think it's sad that the medical profession is so timid about prescribing strong painkillers to people who genuinely need them these days. I mean, I understand there's an epidemic and all that, but there ARE lots of people in pain who aren't being helped. Which is why it makes me angry when other people brag about duping their doctors into giving them painkillers they didn't really need. It's people like that that make it so difficult for people like me.

Ok, end rant

I've got an appointment with a private pm dr ( in the uk private means I have to pay) I hope he can script me something for my breakthrough pain. Wish me luck

I've got an appointment with a private pm dr ( in the uk private means I have to pay) I hope he can script me something for my breakthrough pain. Wish me luck

I really hope he is able to help you D2P hun. I hope he re starts your sublingual fentanyl script for BT pain as these seemed to really help you. Hope he can maybe sort out yoi psych meds aswell. Good luck hun.

edited by tricomb

Last edited by a moderator:
Englandgz please don't leave over something so trivial, your knowledge helps a lot of people on here, you are a highly regarded member and I think leaving just isn't the correct thing to do over something this silly. Please dont

I sort of agree that using first names should be up to whether that person is comfy with it? But maybe tricomb was just trying to protect d2p...and BTW d2p I wish you luck with your appointment, I hope you get the help you need from this doctor.

I'm a bit nervous today because tomorrow (Jan 2) I have surgery on my back...for those damned herniated discs...every time I have an MRI the number of how many I have seems to have gone up...at last count it was 5. Two of them are pressing directly on the spinal cord or something and the doctors are going to trim these discs so they don't do that anymore. I really hope this helps with the pain but I'm tearful because I can't lift my 17 month old son for SIX MONTHS following this surgery or I might re-injure myself and need a spinal fusion. But you know what...I probably AM going to pick him up before six months...because I can't stand it. He is probably the most held baby of all time and is always in my arms. I carry him everywhere (probably part of the reason my back is so bad, he weighs more than 20 lbs.) He will NOT understand why his mommy won't pick him up...it's going to make me so upset. I can't think about it. I'm going to try to get down on the floor with him and stuff but he's going to want me to carry him and I will have to see him cry because I can't...ok I'm crying again about it. I've thought about cancelling the surgery 10 million times for this reason alone.

He will adjust my 6 year old wasn't even 2 when I had my accident and I couldn't hold or play with him, still can't but what you can do is lay in bed with him on your chest and stomach, watch cartoons together or as we call them toonies, that way he's still getting all of your affection without you getting hurt. You learn to adapt and find different ways to do things, I'm still adjusting now (bed bound most of the time, wheelchair the rest. All of my limbs are fcuked as are a few organ systems. My appointment gave me some results, but not quite how I wanted.

You having your op on the nhs? Remember to tell the drs you are already on strong pain relief (take all your meds in) so after your op you will need more meds for the pain than a regular person. Pm me and keep me posted, I'm available to chat or vent or help anyway I can, anytime night or day. Would you like my mobile number? I get unlimited mins and texts so if you would like company while you are in hospital I will give you my number and I can text you call you, anything to take your mind off the pain. I really hope that it alleviates your pain, gotta be realistic you won't be pain free once you have healed but at least maybe your pain will go down a few notches and make life more bearable <3

Ps my son was always in my arms too he wouldn't sleep or settle any other way, I breastfed for 9 months so we were extremely close from the beginning. And he still is mummy's boy, after school he gets in bed with me we watch toonies play Xbox read books do art work, homework etc, after school he gets 4-5 hours with me all to himself and he thrives from it

Last edited:
Hi, I just saw this, you are so nice!!! I just PMed you, I hope it went through, I kept getting that "server is busy" message. I'm in America, so I don't think I can text you, but the support is amazing. I've been having panic attack symptoms all day even though I'm trying to be tough about this. Geez. I'm a wimp.

Holding my son as much as possible today. I breastfed him til 13 months so he and I are BONDED. He's trampling on me right now and making it hard for me to type.

Trying not to think about tomorrow. Ugh

So I'm only 20 and already have a slough of back issues. Degenerative facet joint arthropathy, bulging disc, misaligned vertebrae, minor scoliosis, bad case of muscular hypertone.

Live usually in about a 4-5 pain level 24/7, about half of that time I'm up to 6-9 from constant back spasms and muscle tetany.

Have had suicidal thoughts on and off from the pain. Minus the occasional shitty tramadol script I don't and never have received ANY help through medicine. I can't afford to pay out of pocket for pain management and my bogus insurance doesn't cover any pain management or neurologists within 50 miles. I do what I can to exercise every other day at the gym and smoke a lot of weed and hash oil to try to keep the pain at bay.

Does anybody have good advice for this kind of situation? Anybody experienced something similar? My father and mother are doctors/PAs but won't go near any narcotics. Between having the appearance of a very fit healthy male, and living in florida makes it impossible on my occasional hospital visits to get any real pain meds.. And wouldn't you know some dick at CVS flagged me as a drug seeker.

This is the 5th year of daily chronic pain. Shits making me miserable.

If you can afford to smoke a lot of weed and hash, you can afford a whole variety of painkillers.

But you're only 20, so do you really want to start using black market pharms/heroin?

You should drive to a pain clinic. 50 miles isn't that far, and if you have to pay for it out of pocket use some of your weed money.

Also, CVS techs can't flag you in any database outside their own. (If did for some reason then just don't go to CVS, it sucks anyway)

If I were to try to buy a prescriptions worth of pain killers Id be in the hole, they're really expensive around here.

I suppose you're right about it being worth the drive. I don't really mind driving anyways

Thats interesting, my university doctor was notified by CVS about the flag, but let me know. He obviously knew I wasn't drug seeking and I'm at least glad he told me. The last time I was hospitalized from a severe spasm I could barely breath and was in tears (a true 10/10 pain) and they wrote for an anti-inflammatory and shoved me out the door. Now I know why.

And yeah CVS blows. But thanks for the input

Finished the surgery and am home. Man was that a weird experience. The IV, the gas, weird dreams, waking up all retarded, sobering up, not getting any meds from fucking lousy Medicaid NY State doctors, I hate them. Feel like a truck hit me. Going to my regular doctor tomorrow and see if they help me. Geez.

New DR just cut my meds! what do i.do?

So ive been having serious pain for about 4 years now. After 2 years of doctors blowing me off as a young person who thinks her pain is worse than it actually was, I was diagnosed with Degenerate Disc Disease, spinal stenosis and osteoarthritis in my lower back.I attempted surgery but was still having pain. I started pain management and my doc put me on 30 Mg 5xday oxycodone. This was working grreat but I was having a hard time sleeping so I asked for an extended release med for overnight and was denied. After 6 months I started looking for a doc that would listen to my complaint of no sleep. This past month I saw this new doc for the first time. She cut me down to 15mg oxycodone 3xday and 15 Mg oxycontin er 2xday. This dose is not working for me ive been in terrible pain but the NPR who saw me said my meds aren't up for discussion. What should I do? Ive been told by a couple of people to try and get switched over to Opana IR and I might not even need the extended stuff. How do I bring this up w/o looking like a drug seeker?

You're in a tough spot......most doctors don't want to be told how or what to prescribe. I wouldn't mention a ything about Opana.

Just tell her that you are in a lot of pain & the meds are not working, is there anything else she can do to help.

If I had a genuine complaint and my doctor told me that the treatment was not up for discussion I would see another doctor. That's disgusting.

If a doc isn't going to treat you like a human being then you've not got much other choice. I suffer from a seemingly permanently slipped spinal disc and can really sympathise with how hard it is to get a satisfactory level of pain relief from most docs. The same goes for sleeping medication, until I kept changing Psych's and found one who was brilliant and finally took me seriously.

I generally read up about the area that I want to discuss with my doc before I see them so as to get the most out of the appointment, and I think it's quite fair to say... 'Hey I read up about X - it sounds like it would suit me' but this is almost always interpreted to sound like you're trying to score that particular drug for the wrong reasons.

There's not much choice but to go back to your doc and be honest with them - if they wont budge, then change until you get the correct level of care that you're paying for.

Last edited:
You're in kind of a bad spot now because you left a doctor who was giving you a fairly generous oxycodone regiment after only 5 months because you wanted ER meds, now you don't like the new doctor's plan.
So you can't really go back to doc#1, can't really find a doc#3, and doc#2 is unhelpful...
Your best bet is being honest with #2 and explaining the situation, or trying to get back with #1.

I am dealing with the pain from the surgery totally on Motrin today. It's not terrible but people tell me that the second or third day is actually worse than the first. I was able to get out of bed and do stuff, but I needed help undressing and dressing and I had to figure out how to wash my face and brush my teeth without bending over the sink to splash my face with water like I usually do or to bend over the sink to spit! I am not supposed to bend my back at all for 6 months and I am not sure I can make it that long. Right now I PHYSICALLY can't bend because I feel really stiff and if I do try to bend it hurts like a mofo. But I was able to (against doctors orders but I don't give a fuck) get my baby out of his crib, carry him to my bed and then make his bottle, carry him to the changing table and dress him, and then carry him to the TV room to watch the Disney Channel. I was all by myself so WTF was I supposed to do, just leave him?! Ok. Whatever.

Hun please please be careful. Have you no family or friends that can help out? Use a hot water bottle to help with the pain and stiffness. Pm me <3

I see where you're coming from Monk but what I'm trying to do is manage my pain and have some semblance of a normal life. That includes sleeping, which doc #1 didn't seem to have an interest in doing. I know now my dosage was high but I had no way of knowing the new doc would cut me so severely.

Status
Not open for further replies.