• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Support and Advice

I am mildly jealous :) I love that first smell of spring.

But at this time of year? Are you sure it wasn't febreeze NSA?

I am hating the lack of sunlight. I start having lots of bipolar symptoms at the beggining of November every year.

I'm leaving the house to get booze...one of my only errands I make in the winter. Anyone else having a hard time not drinking in the morning? I mean when its 20 degrees outside its easy to justify 2 or 3 shots in the am so I can warm up....

Last edited:
But at this time of year? Are you sure it wasn't febreeze NSA?
LOL.. and it wasnt a smelination as I was talking with a relative and they said the exact same thing I did.. febreze though that may be an idea.. more snow on the way for tomorrow.. ugg i have had enough winter..

I'm interested in hearing what people think of St. John's wort and L-tyrosine for SAD. I'm 9 months clean from almost a 30 yr addiction to opiates and I'm still not 100%. I'm not really depressed...more just unmotivated and anxious. It's dark and rainy here too and I'm going to break out my tanning light on you guys advice. (Glad I read this thread)
I read on Wiki that St. John's Wort was just as effective as Prozac for depression, and I guess I am a little depressed. More anxious really.
Ok, thanks. Hope I posted this in the right area..I didn't see a thread for supplements.

^the light thats working for me is a blue therapy light.. it mimics the light of a nice summer day ziggy and I really cant say enough good about it :)

I've got a little UV face tanner light and used it a couple summers ago. It did help with the SAD. I forgot to use it this morning and will leave it out and use it tomorrow. The St. John's Wort seems to be helping a bit..
Thanks Never..

^ I'll have to look into St. John's Wort. I'm always afraid to try new substances though.

Has anyone else had success with this?

Either the little sun light I have or the St John's Wort have made me a tiny bit more motivated...but it's still hard to push myself to go to social things like parties or drinks with friends. Going to a movie or concert is easier..cuz I don't feel the pressure to socialize and make small talk. It's terrible that I just can't be bothered to meet new people or listen to their stories. I'm so inpatient. I was much more patient when I was a opiate addict....

No sun is fucking with me and my sleep schedule. But I'm getting shit done no matter the hour I'm awake and thats what matters.

This is definitely the hardest time of year for me, but as the saying goes 'the darkest hour is just before dawn'.
45 days until March equinox - hang in there. <3

I think im doing ok on the seasonal.. but I have unbelievably bad cabin fever.. yes to all the outdoor stuff Corazon!!

Daylight savings time this weekend which = more sunlight!

^^ Probably the same for my area of the country too. Sigh.

it's sunny and in the 40s here.
normally that sucks, but it's practically spring weather compared to the terrible weather recently.

I have too much anxiety and stress to go out and enjoy it or do anything where there are other people. It's like a cycle now, where I've been in the house for 5 months feeling terrible, and now when it's halfway nice outside I feel too bad to participate. On Tuesday it may get to the upper 50s and I will go to the park and walk around the track.

I'm interested in hearing what people think of St. John's wort and L-tyrosine for SAD

I've used L-Tyrosine for bipolar depression before and i took it with wellbutrin, Lamotrigine and seroquel. I figured that since L-Tyrosine is a precursor to L-dopa it may increase the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in my brain thus making more Dopamine and Norepinephrine for the wellbutrin to act as a reuptake inhibitor of. It turns out the combo worked abit too well because i went completely manic for a few weeks and had to take risperidone with the seroquel just to stop it.

If however your not on any anti-depressants and don't have bipolar i would say start taking one of the supplements as mixing the 2 together could cause a interaction.

Oh and did i mention fuck winter? :! We are getting even more snow today and it's been by far the coldest winter i can really remember. Even the bay froze over abit and i haven't seen that happen since i was 14 atleast. Usually it get's no colder then -10C here and even that only for a few days at most cause it's usually around the freezing mark. But this -15 and -20C bullshit is something i haven't experienced since living in Ontario.

Last edited: