• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) Support and Advice

^I talked with an experienced sleep dr a few months ago.. he had just been at a sleep convention and some of the Drs there had explored weather they were able to influence anyones circadian rhythm ever.. the general consensus was no unfortunately. I guess He said they came to the conclusion that they were able to shift it slightly, by an hour or so, but never able to change it.. but who knows.. its a pain in the ass.

Thats exactly what I have and its been diagnosed and confirmed with multiple sleep studies. I think its the reason I started using drugs in the first place.. I dont think "normal" people know how awful we feel when we try and conform to traditional sleep and wake times.. I'm sure that trying very hard to do exactly that cause me to develope the auto autoimmune as well as the fibro or what it should be called is
pan hypothalamic dysregulation .m And that was because they told me that But setting a sleep schedule and getting up and going to bed at the exact same time would alter my circadian rhythm.. yeah fuck that it almost killed me and my rhythm is right where its always been. I love that word though rhythm, thats a cool word... only has a pretend vowel in it.. is there a band called rhythm yet? If not I just named my unformed band rhythm

Well i definitely don't have that. I can go to sleep at 10 at night or 10 in the morning and i have always been like that really. During the winter i do tend to sleep alot more overall though. I think my sleep patterns are just fucked beyond repair.

i've suffered from SAD all my life, but the last few years i've been really depressed in the summers too.... and it gets worse in the winters. this winter is going to be the worst yet i can already tell.

i thrive on being able to go outside for walks, but where i live there's snow on the ground 4 to 6 months a year. we've already had temperatures below 20F, and its not even officially winter yet.

mehhhhhhhh

I was skeptical at first, but my Phillips Golite or blu light or whatever the hell they want to call it works noticeably well. It's not a cure but it makes me feel a LOT better in the morning during this time of year. The cool thing is that you can actually feel it working while you have it in front of you while you eat breakfast or whatever. It's almost like a mini high.

alright we are almost there.. which has to be good cause im loosing it.. I need to move to a place with way more sunshine.

i've been here so long, i think that its time to move
the winter's so cold, summer's over too soon
lets pack up our bags and settle down where palm trees grow

i've been here so long, i think that its time to move
the winter's so cold, summer's over too soon
lets pack up our bags and settle down where palm trees grow

You have no idea how much i want to just hop on a plane and go straight to Australia until the winter is over. I see your from Canada as well. I come from the rock where it doesn't get that cold but we have loads of rain and springtime is misery cause all you get is rain, drizzle and fog and nothing seems to keep out the damp from it. I used to like winters when i was young but now the getting dark at 4:30 bullshit really get's me down. The winter really makes my bipolar act up and the SAD just makes the depression side of things much worse. Right now i would love to be sitting on a hot beach drinking dark rum n coke but unless i fall arse over tits into money all of a sudden that's not going to happen.

If you have bad SAD the best advice that I can give you is move somewhere warmer. My moods were very seasonally dependent when I lived in the northeast, but the year I spent in Florida, and now in CA my journey through November has been so much smoother, I'm feeling a lot better about the winter ahead too.
I was never great at getting outside, especially during the cold, so I need to be able to step out for a few minutes when I want, and having it be sunny really brightens things up on the inside too.

If you're stuck somewhere cold and dark get a sun light. Someone probably mentioned it already but they're full spectrum lights that mimic sunlight, a nice change from the monotony of florescent lights during the winter.

I see your from Canada as well.

i'm from michigan, which may as well be canada

but yeah man winters up north suck

i do okay during the day time, but it gets dark at 5PM... then by the time 10PM rolls around it feels like the middle of the night, but i'm wide awake and all i can focus on is being miserable...

Have you considered going to a tanning bed? It not the best for your skin, but maybe if you went a couple times a week during the winter you'd feel better. I think feeling the warmth of the tanning bed would be a nice temporary relief and you could just pretend it the sun...haha.

Let me know how it works!

And LOL did you make your avatar Charlie Brown on purpose? :D

Last edited:
Thats charlie brown alright.. but i can only claim to wished to have done that on purpose addy.. or can I :sus:

30bdzrs.jpg