• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can you see the "shadow people or shadows" WITHOUT sleep deprivation

Intenselife

Bluelighter
I have heard that various drugs/alcohol use can cause many people including ones who are addicts and those who are recreational users, often have problems with either flat out seeing shadow people or say they see shadows frequently. I know meth is other sleep depriving drugs do this and it makes because of that much lack of sleep etc, but can other drugs cause this too that do not pertain to sleep deprivations/psychosis or withdrawal? Maybe excessive use of certain drugs/alcohol can cause this, or these people were just crazy.

I was expecting to hear a no lol. Ok, which drugs besides meth or any form of sleep deprivation still can make you see the shadow people/ or just shadows since you said yes.

The ones that I know to cause this phenomenon for sure are all stimulants that are known to, or highly suspected of, affecting serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. Cocaine and methamphetamine for sure are able to do this. As probable I would include methylone and mephedrone.

This is kinda an amazing phenomenon as people from all walks of life and all places of the earth see the same thing... they see a man with a hat that most people call the "hat man" or government man.. they see a figure that always stands behind this man, like a second in command who has a hood, and then there are allot of sort underling shadow people. If any one has any idea that comes close to explaining why people all over the world end up seeing the exact same thing i would love to hear it. Also this is not associated with just sleep deprived or high people there are people who see these figures all the time and have never used drugs. It is infact really common for people who experience sleep paralysis to see these "people." I love this subject and would love to hear any thoughts or discoveries you have or make.

Link >> Who are the shadow people?

Last edited:
For sure. All stimulants at a high enough dosage will cause them appear.
High doses of deliriants (well, all hallucinogens), dissociative drugs or any that act on the NMDA receptor can cause them to appear too. There have been some cases of people experiencing them on AMPA modulator drugs too.

Ambien (zolpidem, a z-drug of the benzodiazepine class) also causes me to see them vividly if I take it and fight the urge to fall asleep. God what a horrible drug.

I believe that a person with an extreme anxiety disorder/paranoia or scitzophrenia can also be affected by this too.

I suffer from sleep paralysis, and during my bouts of it I see the shadow people vividly and intensely. It's profoundly mentally disturbing.

They are not just attributed to sleep deprivation, and can be caused by a boat load of things.

Definitely as said above. Various drugs especially stimulants, delierants etc cancause disturbing images. For me it was always with methamphetamine and sleep deprivation though. Some of the things I'd see in psychosis were just fucked up, it was terrifying. I still have flash backs to this day. My shadow people were for the most part government agents which just elevated my paranoia even worse lol

^^^OH yes!! Lmao can't forget about about Z drugs fucking Ambien...that shit caused many visuals of shadow people as well. Probably the most out of any drug I've taken in my life.

Yes! You definitely can!

Don't worry, you're not crazy :) I see "shadow people" all day everyday. In fact, tons of people do! and they're not crazy either! Although, I see a lot more than just the shadow people, but you get my point. :)

I, personally, suffer from psychotic anxiety. Literally the moment I start to have bad anxiety, I get psychotic symptoms. These are things like hallucinations (visual and auditory), delusions (mostly commonly delusions of persecution), and intense paranoia. What happens to me is, I have anxiety. Once that anxiety has been established it grows. Quickly it becomes very hard to ignore and when I've hit that point, I start having hallucinations.

My hallucinations aren't anywhere near as bad as someone who has intense schizophrenia or something, but they're still awful and scary. The worst part is, they like to hide themselves. What I mean by this is, there not easy to distinguish as real or fake. I have had very intense hallucinations in the past when I think I went through psychosis or something. Anyways the hallucinations, delusions and paranoia were on a totally different level during that awful 48 hours.

I was seeing people that weren't there (like I always do) but they weren't a "wire frame" or like an illusion/hallucination that I usually have. No, these people looked like any other person - it was the scariest thing I've ever had to experience. But the thing about them is - I could tell they weren't real because the way they moved was "robotic." That's actually what made them so scary to be honest. They looked and sounded like real humans, but there movement was totally off. This made them look like robotic humans or fake people which made them incredibly creepy.

There facial expressions looked "animated" and so did there behavior. A great comparison is how the human-like robots in this video look.

Because they looked just like a human, that was scary, but the scariest part was the fact that their facial expressions looked just like they do above. It was awful and I hope I never have to experience that again. But what was comforting about this experience was, I knew they couldn't be real and even though they were standing there, plain as day - I knew they didn't exist.

The hallucinations I normally have aren't anywhere near that intense, however, they're bad because I can't even tell if they're really there or not. For instance, when I get psychotic symptoms from anxiety, I instantly keep seeing people and faces (95% of the time it's just faces) of people out of the corner of my eye. So I instantly turn and look and then there's nothing there. But then when I look away again, I see the illusion of there existence. So it's literally like my mind is interpreting objects as faces when it shouldn't be.

The same thing happens with sound. One of either two things happens. If there is some sort of white noise in the background, I can swear that I hear people talking in that white noise. But I can't tell if it's real or not because it just sounds like white noise. If there is no sound at all, I'll do the same thing but with sudden noises. Like if my stomach makes a sound and it's totally quiet - I will think that sound is actually coming from some where in my house unless I hear it again - only then will I realize it was my stomach.

Sometimes, even if there isn't any white noise or sudden noises, I'll think I can hear people downstairs walking around anyways. But the sound is so incredibly faint, I can't really tell if it's there or not. Obviously there isn't - my mind was just making up sound, but that especially can get pretty scary.

Last edited:
Yes. I have a friend who was known for taking massive doses of meth. I personally witnessed him sniff up a whole g in one go. Wasn't even properly crushed either. Can't believe his nose didn't bleed come to think of it... Anyways, he'd wind up hiding under his sister's bed for hours thinking that the "feds" were in helicopters circling his roof, run down the streets, etc. List goes on totally 51-50 on crystal, no sleep deprivation required. In fact I saw him sleep once after railing a half g of some crystal--and no it was not bunk shit.

^ wow - sounds like a hardcore kind of guy. And I thought I was hardcore...

In all my little drug circles, there would be one or two who just had "death wish" written all over them. We have no methamphetamine here btw - but as an example there, were a couple blokes I knew who would triple drop E's, then snort half a g of coke in one or two heroic snorts, before going hard at the "putty" base speed that smells like fermented piss. People to be avoided in other words, as they'd wipe out any "drug buffet" style set-up at a house party before anybody else got a look-in. Luckily for the real hardcore minority, drugs in the UK generally tend to be poor quality; the coke isn't stepped on: it's jumped on from a tall building - average purity as of 2013 in my city: 44%. So yeah, we have no methamphetamine here, or Oxycodone, or anything really powerful, and it's not so good for the recreational user, but it means the idiots who want to snort up everything in site, plus whatever's in your medicine cabinet, tend to not end up overdosing on the weak material generally available to us. (Although there are exceptions; it's not what you know, it's who you know, after all.)

Edit: Just realised I've posted something on a thread completely irrelevant to the topic in question. I'm on EP, lots and lot's of EP.

Last edited:
Definitely as said above. Various drugs especially stimulants, delierants etc cancause disturbing images. For me it was always with methamphetamine and sleep deprivation though. Some of the things I'd see in psychosis were just fucked up, it was terrifying. I still have flash backs to this day. My shadow people were for the most part government agents which just elevated my paranoia even worse lol

^^^OH yes!! Lmao can't forget about about Z drugs fucking Ambien...that shit caused many visuals of shadow people as well. Probably the most out of any drug I've taken in my life.

^ dude, clean out your friggin private messages

Whoa i forgot i created this thread, damn binge drinking. Anyways yeah i have never seen the shadow people except when awake for more than 48 hours and usually weed would increase it and the voices, but that was due to lack of sleep from occassional meth us.

Even taking adderall at real high doses with no sleep deprivation i get no hallucinations, same with when taking high dose of ambien or like diphendramine, it kinda pisses me off because i like being able to fully hallucinate sometimes without having to hunt for lsd or shrooms again.

I have heard from friends that people who lucid dream see shadow people a lot in their lucid dream experiences, which is a safe way to see them without substances.

Eh i've only seen them a few times in my life with severe lack of sleep from either bath salts or meth neither of which i have done in awhileeee, but it was rather interesting driving home from work and seeing these people walking on the road, or riding a bike etc etc that weren't really their... I guess for me the next time i'll be seeing them is when im severely sleep deprived again. Oh well.

For me, "shadow people" are a sign it's time ramp up antipsychotics and get some sleep as soon as possible :sus:

i wouldnt want to...the times i have had it happen it was freaky, 10x bein alone. i thought i saw spiders comin down from the ceilings on their web...id take nothing before i took a stim.

For me, "shadow people" are a sign it's time ramp up antipsychotics and get some sleep as soon as possible :sus:

I see them all the time. For me, once I can start hearing them is when I think the same thing.

I've only seen them during sleep paralysis, and they're always doing some kind of weird procedure on my body that I can feel. I've had two really intense experiences with them. #1 In this old apartment I used to live in, it was hard to keep the sunlight out in the morning so I would sleep with a shirt over my eyes. Well, I went from being asleep to seeing the room as it would be in the morning light, yet I could hear myself sleep breathing so I was still unconscious, and I couldn't move. It was totally mind awake, body asleep, yet I could see the room even though my eyes were closed. It was so disorienting. I had this really eerie feeling that something was beside the bed, and my liver really hurt. So I turned my head and there was distorted air in the shape of a humanoid right beside my bed, almost like a sci-fi cloaking device, and it was doing something to my liver. It was painful, but I couldn't move. I freaked out until I fully realized I was still sleeping, and then I really woke up. I thought it was still night but then remembered I had my shirt still over my eyes. When I took the shirt off, the room looked identical in lighting to what I had just been seeing. The blinds were even gently blowing in the wind like I saw. It was too weird.

#2 my bf slept over and around 4am or so I woke up, except I could see the room 360 degrees which was very disorienting. In the corner of the room was a perfect, 2D circle on the wall that was glowing the full spectrum of the rainbow. Above me were all these voices whispering, but it wasn't English. They were actually studying my boyfriend, but they became aware of the fact that I was aware of them and this really intrigued them. So they turned their attention to me. There were about 8 of them above me, looking down. I couldn't see them at all but I could feel them. It was a cross-dimensional experience. I couldn't move but I was seeing the whole room, and yet I could hear myself snoring so my body was still fast asleep. I called my bf's name but I realized I was only telepathically calling him, and not using my physical voice. The blankets were also off me so I was naked and freezing on top of it. Finally I yelled, "THIS ENDS NOW, GET THE *FUCK* OUT OF HERE!" and then I whooshed back into my body. I woke up with such a startle and a gasp that my bf woke up from all the commotion. I told him everything. The weird thing is that it wasn't until after I woke up that I could remember what the beings looked like. When I was in that weird state, I could feel them and knew exactly where they were, but I couldn't make them out.

My experiences were similar to astral projection, but I was still in my body. So I was seeing the physical room but I wasn't going anywhere. These experiences were so bizarre and alien to me. My bf was so amazed by the story that he ended up doing a giant piece of artwork about it and it went into his school's art exhibition. He drew a dark room with a portal on the wall, and 8 beings standing around the bed looking down at two people sleeping. His depiction wasn't totally accurate though. It was more like they were hovering above the bed looking down at us. Behind them was a weird, gray light, as though they were looking down a wishing well from some place else. I could only see their heads, and their weird hands holding the edges. One of my weirdest spiritual experiences to date.

I did once after a "good dose" of Promethazine.
My room was dark, I had just got into bed and then a shadow person, that I thought was my brother, climbed through my closed bedroom window, ran across the room and out to the closed door - All completely silently.

In a less monged out state of mind this would have been incredibly freaky when I think about it now, but I just slurred out his name and then just ignored it and fell asleep at some point :?