• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anesthesia Assisted Rapid Opiate Detoxification (AAROD)

mayhem69

Greenlighter
I saw a clinic on Youtube where a kid went into a clinic. He was an OXY addict and he was going to be given an IV for several days, I think around 30!! He was doing this so he would not go into severe withdrawal.
I know someone who needs this done!! She has been taking pain meds for about 12 yrs., I mean serious meds!! She wants to stop and clean up!!
What is this method called when an IV is used and the patient is put under for several days?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mayhem.. Welcome to Blue Light:) the process is called Anesthesia Assisted Rapid Opiate Detoxification (AAROD). Most people concentrate on the acute withdraws as they are uncomfortable and kinda assume that once they get through those the rest will be easy. Nothing could be farther from the truth; once the acutes are over then the real battle finally starts. This process is really expensive usually, if I remember right its around 15 grand.. also it does not prevent a person from experiencing all the acute withdrawal it just knocks them out for the real uncomfortable parts. If an addict isn't prepared and has a strong recovery plan to implement following this then the likely hood that they just blew 15000 and will be right back were they started from in no time at all is really great if not guaranteed. Opiate withdraws are uncomfortable but IMO definitely not so bad that i would even think of spending 15000 grand to get through the three worst days. Dead serious on that one.. if someone was willing to pay me fifteen grand and it was possible for them to give me their withdrawals for three days I would do it right now.. then again I could use the money right now.

What has your friend used to try and get off the opiates so far? if you will share her medication and dosage amount we will have a little better idea of what we are looking at.

The medications I would explore the use of fror detox would be:

>Clonidine< DOSED EVER FOUR HOURS..

one of either
>NEURONTIN< >HERE< >HERE<
OR >Lyrica<

>A BENZO BUT JUST AT NIGHT<
>a nsaid<
>melatonin<
tylenol

Addiction Guide

SMART Recovery (Support Group information and discussion)

Twelve-Step Addiction Recovery Support Groups

Varied Approaches to Addiction Recovery

The beginning of a whole new life.. it get good pretty quick.
Good things about being off drugs/getting sober

I would use some of that money that would be used on the AAROD and take a trip some where amazing and warm and use these medications to make the process pretty damn tolerable and then celebrate the fact that im clean with a nice little vacation. Opiate detox doesn't happen like they show it in the movies, we just dont all the sudden wake up after a few days and suddenly feel perfect and apeare all polished up. Given the length of your friends habit she will likely feel pretty off, fatigue, depression, anxiety, crazy emotions, cravings, neuropathic pain, for months. So when considering this I would really look at the fact that they will not just pop outta the hospital feeling amazing after this and they will have a decent period of healing in front of them.

I hope this helps and I wish your friend the best:)

Last edited:
Hey mayhem.. Welcome to Blue Light:) the process is called Anesthesia Assisted Rapid Opiate Detoxification (AAROD). Most people concentrate on the acute withdraws as they are uncomfortable and kinda assume that once they get through those the rest will be easy. Nothing could be farther from the truth; once the acutes are over then the real battle finally starts. This process is really expensive usually, if I remember right its around 15 grand.. also it does not prevent a person from experiencing all the acute withdrawal it just knocks them out for the real uncomfortable parts. If an addict isn't prepared and has a strong recovery plan to implement following this then the likely hood that they just blew 15000 and will be right back were they started from in no time at all is really great if not guaranteed. Opiate withdraws are uncomfortable but IMO definitely not so bad that i would even think of spending 15000 grand to get through the three worst days. Dead serious on that one.. if someone was willing to pay me fifteen grand and it was possible for them to give me their withdrawals for three days I would do it right now.. then again I could use the money right now.

What has your friend used to try and get off the opiates so far? if you will share her medication and dosage amount we will have a little better idea of what we are looking at.

The medications I would explore the use of fror detox would be:

>Clonidine< DOSED EVER FOUR HOURS..

one of either
>NEURONTIN< >HERE< >HERE<
OR >Lyrica<

>A BENZO BUT JUST AT NIGHT<
>a nsaid<
>melatonin<
tylenol

Addiction Guide

SMART Recovery (Support Group information and discussion)

Twelve-Step Addiction Recovery Support Groups

Varied Approaches to Addiction Recovery

The beginning of a whole new life.. it get good pretty quick.
Good things about being off drugs/getting sober

I would use some of that money that would be used on the AAROD and take a trip some where amazing and warm and use these medications to make the process pretty damn tolerable and then celebrate the fact that im clean with a nice little vacation. Opiate detox doesn't happen like they show it in the movies, we just dont all the sudden wake up after a few days and suddenly feel perfect and apeare all polished up. Given the length of your friends habit she will likely feel pretty off, fatigue, depression, anxiety, crazy emotions, cravings, neuropathic pain, for months. So when considering this I would really look at the fact that they will not just pop outta the hospital feeling amazing after this and they will have a decent period of healing in front of them.

I hope this helps and I wish your friend the best:)

Hi, and thanks for helping! She has been on oxycontin 80, Roxy 30, Opana 40 for a very long time, when she runs out she gets H
She states she wants to stop, only insurance she has is medicare. So I don't know if that will cover the procedure. She does have a legitmate injury for these pills also., she had 8 operations on her knees.

^^ If she's on medicare then I'm guessing that probably this isn't even an option for her, as mentioned, it's incredibly expensive as well as 100% optional, meaning it's not required meaning insurance won't even consider covering it.

She should explore other options, such as a regular detox facility + AA/NA meetings and or life ring/smart recovery meetings - possibly even look at residential treatment facility options.

^^ If she's on medicare then I'm guessing that probably this isn't even an option for her, as mentioned, it's incredibly expensive as well as 100% optional, meaning it's not required meaning insurance won't even consider covering it.

She should explore other options, such as a regular detox facility + AA/NA meetings and or life ring/smart recovery meetings - possibly even look at residential treatment facility options.

what kind of detox? you mean Methadone? I don't think that would cut it with this chick. She has been doing insanely amts. of oxy, roxies, opana, H for several yrs. She tells me she does 4 40 opanas at once, I've seen her personally snort 5 roxies,and I don't know what is up with the oxy's. Its really amazing she gets all this shit. Its a death warrant is what it is. She cant stop and she knows if she doesn't she is going to die, she was talking she thinks her kidneys are starting to shut down. I don't know but I don't think she'll be around much longer.

^^ Opiates alone wouldn't be shutting down her kidneys.

Also, <snip> And I'm sober now, on suboxone maintenance. I went through the initial detox cold turkey a NUMBER of times though.

I know you came here for information, so let me correct you. Her habit is not so big that she needs some sort of magical opiate detox relief. What kind of detox does she need you ask? To simply detox - period. If she can't stay clean, maybe to suboxone or worst case scenario methadone (I wouldn't recommend it) but I would honestly suggest she try to kick cold turkey or quick taper at a detox facility, where they will monitor her and administer a number of medications that will help to dull the symptoms.

Again, let me state that i have kicked habits like hers if not worse cold turkey MANY times, without ANY meds to help dull the symptoms. So please don't try and find some magical no detox method, because it does't exist. If she wants to get clean, she's gotta go to hell and back. but it's better then the chronic hell she lives in now.

Also, surviving the initial hell of detox is the simple part(no matter how large you think your habit is, the hellish withdrawals are the easy part). Staying clean is the complicated part. She can't just kick and then be normal. You kick, and then need to spend every single day fighting to keep your sobriety. this means working a daily program of recovery, something she would learn about at rehab or in the rooms of various support groups such as Smart recovery, life ring, AA or NA.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should do some research into ibogaine. Its no magic cure, but a lot of people have amazing success with it. However its not right for everyone and its something to do serious research into before considering.