Assignment Pharmacist Honours Study No Sign Up Only Testimonials

LOZ-Pain

Greenlighter
Hi Everyone

Im a Pharmacy Honours Student, for the University of South Australia. I'm doing a report of opioids (oxycodone and morphine in particular) and their use in emergency and discharge medicine. I was looking for a few opinions on anyone who has tried them to describe how the felt when they took them, especially in regards to pain, as well as the europhic nature. I've read a few medical articles but they seem to written by scientists not by real people who truly experienced it.

I.e. How did the pain feel? Was it diminished but still apparent, or completely gone? How did you feel if you didnt take them from pain? What were the cravings like? Withdrawal?

Please if you reply as descriptive as possible would be appreciated.

Obviously I will not use any names in the study, or anyone's online name.

Thanks

From the US I use both for pain and though the ir oxy is great for knocking down my pain levels in a hurry, morphine works better for me in elevating the pain even though a lower dose is used. No matter if I take 180 mg of oxy during the day 120 0f the morphine is better, and I understand that the oxy is twice as strong by weight. My 2 cents. Sorry I didn't answer in full. My pain can be intense a 9-10. Herniated Discs in neck and lower back. The pain never goes away even with the meds. I have never gone through withdrawals, but can only imagine what would happen if I was without them. God forbid. My cravings are minor since I know I have the meds but bad months have caused me to use up the irs up to 10 days ahead of refill but the morphine controls any withdrawal. And wisely I save these for the end of the month to avoid WD's, enduring the pain during the month so as to have this backup.

Last edited:
Cheers Shadowsblaze for the insight, really invaluable stuff to get a real opinion. I've heard the pain never goes away even with meds (just more diminished with them).

You said pain can sometimes be between 9-10 was that with or without meds?

Also what are you activities in daily living like, i.e. with the meds can you do everything you would hope to do? how does that contrast without the meds?

Opana is a favorite. It is like an extreme rush of well being and all that was ailing you slips by the wayside. Your brain gets a fuzzy warmth that runs down your spine and you could care less about most things in general. You are drawn to impulsively use/do things you draw pleasure from like smoking etc..

A couple years ago I went to the hospital after 6 hours of "severe heartburn"... I rated my pain 8/10 -- it was the worst pain I had felt in my life, and it was impossible to focus on anything else, but it was still tolerable and far less than "the worst I can imagine." It turned out to be a gallstone (with pancreatitis). Once the pain was no longer useful for diagnosis, they gave me 1mg hydromorphone IV push. It was the first time I had ever had an injection of any pain medication, and I had no tolerance whatsoever. I felt this pressure through my veins, starting from the injection site and spreading. It made me visualize a "brick wall" and was a little bit uncomfortable for a moment... but then the euphoria hit and I did not care anymore. I vaguely remember them wheeling me to an ultrasound to confirm the gallstone, but the pain was completely gone. Honestly, the 1mg was more than enough. I felt relief from the pain going away, and I also felt high... and sleepy. I conked out soon after the dose because it was 6AM.

During my stay in the hospital I had an ERCP (during which they removed the offending gallstone) and a cholecystectomy a couple days later. Pain was managed with hydromorphone -- I believe they gave me another dose or two of 1mg, then lowered it to 0.5mg (which was enough for me). The only time I felt pain was in between doses right after the cholecystectomy... though it was relatively mild. Mentally, it was a nice, relaxed, happy feeling. I got some serious itching as a side effect, but mentally didn't mind it too much. I had to be careful not to over-scratch. I got nauseous if I moved around too much, but didn't feel the need to. (I know my condition could also contribute to nausea, but I am sure some of it was the opiate.)

For discharge they prescribed oxycodone. In this case, it completely got rid of pain when not moving (ie. aches), but not sharp pains when (carefully) walking around. Which was appropriate, because I didn't want to push myself too hard. It did make sharp pain less intense. It felt similar to what I had experienced with hydrocodone after dental surgery years earlier. It felt nice. However, I could not move around too much without getting nauseous -- my first day back at work had me running to the bathroom a couple times to throw up. My second day back at work... well, I recovered fast anyway, so I only took the pain med after work. The third day I didn't really need it at all. (Though admittedly, I slowly finished off the bottle now and then in the evening. After it was gone... haven't had an opiate since. Personally I enjoyed it but never got a craving for it.)